collapse

Author Topic: Scarcity? Abundance? What to do?  (Read 3739 times)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 879
Scarcity? Abundance? What to do?
« on: June 26, 2013, 03:23:49 PM »
Scarcity? Abundance? What to do?

I hear a lot of people talking about needing some extra cash. I too am in that situation, and at the end of December 2012 with me 'retired' early due to medical reasons without any coverage left, my wife still out of work and daughter barely making part time work while still in school...  we were down to our last dollars in the savings account... not enough to cover the bills for January...

Yes as many people here have pushed... we are living in a scarcity paradigm...

Yes a Utopian abundance paradigm would be a great solution...

But that is a long term goal. Even if it did come about most of us will be long dead and feeding the worms...

So what do we do in  the meantime?  Now I have pushed this solution before, but sometimes I feel it falls on deaf ears.  It is now June... 6 months later for me and I know am seeing a slow but steady increase in the bank account after the bills are paid. I still do not have a car... but my wife did finally get a full time job in the collection agency of all places. ( I will share some info tips from her work later)

So for us we found a solution that IS WORKING. I am going to share it... I am going to punch hard.  If you take it personally so be it :P  I recall that old adages about the horse and water :P

I will give you concrete examples... what you do with the info is your choice...

This thread will be locked until I finish the points... please refrain from comments until you have seen all...   One of the reasons I have not posted at my normal level is because I DO have to spend time on the solution to make it work :)

So I will start by picking on one member :P  The reason is because of what he showed me... and what he told me...

That member is THOR :P  and I will start with an item that I did as a lark, told him about and he was amazed....

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 879
Re: Scarcity? Abundance? What to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 03:28:47 PM »
Online Selling - Piece of Cake and You get to Eat it Too

I like doing woodwork. Sure not everyone has the space to do it but many of you do. In the course of this I tend to collect STUFF  like old screws, cabinet hardware hinges etc.  On garbage night I will go around the neighborhood and see what is being tossed. Just last week my neighbour tossed out a laquered kitchen table with two chairs.

Old dressers... broken and beaten beyond repair....  I take those apart... save pieces of wood (usually hardwood) save the screws and the hardware then cut the rest into FREE ENERGY for the wood stove and the bar-b-que firepit made out of a steel drum cut in half.

Well my garage was getting cluttered so I started cleaning up, was going to toss some old screws.  Then I decided to just list them... as it occured to me that not everyone has access to junk like I do and screws are not cheap...

So I listed them on Etsy  for $7.95 for a small handfull of old some rusty screws. They sold the next morning

https://www.etsy.com/listing/150585276/vintage-wood-screws?

I have since listed and sold drawer handles and other hardware... like a pair of drawer pulls for $8.95  and there are usually 4-8 on a dresser

3 pair  sold for $8.95 each

https://www.etsy.com/listing/119896526/vintage-drawer-handles

Old electronic parts  have a lot of those from my days of tinkering  Used switches. pilot lights fuses resistors etc etc  Sell from 2.50 to 10.00 each

https://www.etsy.com/listing/121777938/micro-mini-toggle-switch-itw8-3-spdt-on

Okay so you can look around on my Etsy store... all that stuff was picked up at yard sales...

I then use the internet to identify items and put a value to them and usually try to be the lowest price.

Look around to get an idea what sells and for how much. It will shock you. And I have only started.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/PegasusRC

Amazon and Ebay are my other two shops. Amazon is great because there are no listing fees and the item stays until sold and you get top dollar while being able to set your price just below the other guy.

Ebay usually runs a free listing spree once a month and now has 30 day 'buy it now' listing free as well as the auctions (50 per month per account)

Right now my Ebay stock is down  need to relist a ton of stuff today... but I get up every morning and check the email and usually have sales needing to be shipped daily. Post office supplies FREE boxes  gives you a discount to mail from home and postman picks up your packages

Okay so back to the woodworking... then to pick on Thor :P

Pallets

Pallets are everywhere... pallets are tossed away...

...but pallets have value. First you can usually get $5.00 a piece for good ones by selling them to a supplier

but they are worth a lot more in another way. Pallets are usually hardwood like oak. They are usually boards not good enough for lumber but not always.

You can find good pieces.

Pianos are shipped on MOHOGHANY  because it doesn't warp or split... great red wood for projects

Barnboard from old abandoned buildings is worth a small fortune.

Here is someone making furniture out of old pallets. In my opinion his work is not to great BUT he is doing it and selling it... which is the point

$275.00

https://www.etsy.com/listing/153819121/pallet-furniture-pallet-coffee-table

Bookcase made from pallets for Elizabeth Patrick  Custom order $200.00

https://www.etsy.com/listing/153871588/bookcase-made-from-pallets-for-elizabeth

$300.00

Industrial Pipe Leg and Pallet Dining Table, Louisiana(Small)NYC size $450.00

So get my point?  Old wood is VALUABLE and can be turned into CASH

Now these below are big guys but I show it to get the idea of value across..

Reclaimed Barn Siding

[url-http://www.eandkwood.com/?gclid=CI___4DpgrgCFWXZQgodqHIA8w]E&K Vintage Wood[/url]
[/size]

You can simply list the pieces of reclaimed wood on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.Xreclaimed+wood
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:02:01 PM by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 879
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 04:24:40 PM »
THOR Ecowarrior

Okay so time to pick on Thor...

Why him?  Well a while back he told me he was having some serious financial issues.

Now Thor posted what he does for work... and I looked at some of the pictures from Rabun County and I saw the GOLD he was tossing away....

Thor and crew do disaster relief and cleanup. Especially the fallen trees. (as he told me a LOT of white oaks in particular)

So when I saw these pictures in his thread...

...I immediately saw the GOLD in ABUNDANCE

Wood as I showed in the last post has value... and LARGE TREES have a LOT of VALUE

A slice of that huge tree sanded and polished...

ree Trunk Coffee Table! - SOLD! Price: $495.00
Now available is this very cool sliced tree trunk coffee table. Excellent condition and ready for a good home. Come check it out in person!

All those oak logs brought down by the storms?  Just pile em up and pick up the phone...

Selling Logs?

Welcome to American Stave Company.

We pay top prices for white oak stave logs.  With over 10 experienced buyers covering more than 7 states, we provide superior service to loggers and landowners throughout the Midwest.

http://www.americanstavecompany.com/sellinglogs.html

Staves are used to make Oak Barrels which are then sold to the Whiskey and Wine industry... and THEY have CASH GALORE :D

Back in Toronto there was a woodwork shop who would buy the old oak blocks used at warehouses and on the docks. They were usually oil stained and tattered on the outside. But as they were solid blocks of Oak and other hardwoods, all he had to do was run them through a planer and recover the good wood below.

I picked up an old sea pallet on the docks... it was full up worm holes from the sea.  I made a Pirate Treasure Chest out of that old wood and it looks like its been under the sea a hundred years

Naturally this is a solution limited to people with a yard... with tools and a desire to do some work with wood...  but come the fall when it gets cool I will be outside on my table saw...

.. well after I buy a new one that some Mexican scrap scrounger stole a few days ago  >:(

But wood has value... either as boards, as logs or as furniture... If you have space and free time... go for it. Even small wood projects done in the home can fetch cash

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 879
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 04:56:31 PM »
Now I already did a thread before of various other ways to get some money here:

SO... you need MONEY?

You should look that over again as well

Finding junk and selling it online... then using some of that money to find good deals online and resell then\m higher later WORKS  It works GREAT

But it takes some time because you have to take a picture, research what you have so YOU know its value and history and then list it...  But once you get the system down... it gets easier and if something doesn't sell, you only need to hit the relist button when the time is right (ie free listing)

Etsy charges only 20 cents to list an item for 4 months. Amazon no listing fee and its there till sold. Ebay is 30 cents but has 50 free per month and usually once a month an unlimited free listing for several days.  So you have to balance it a little at the start so you don't spend too much on listing fees. But it soon works out.

So trash days I snoop :D Once I get a car again I can go further afield and back to the scrap yards.  Local yard sales are great... pick up things for a dollar and resell on Ebay

Here is one example. I picked up a wooden wine bottle box with Disney Christmas Ornaments. They were a partial set with one damaged of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves...  Got the box with figures for $1.00.

Put them on Ebay (was advised to sell them separately)   So I looked them up online  "Vintage ceramic Christmas ornaments made by Schmid. Mint condition with label."  Snow White sold for $14.95 and the Dwarves (5) for $9.99 withing three days

Here is one set on Etsy

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/151939566/disney-schmid-hummel-snow-white-the-7

So for my partial set with one damaged ear I got $64.90 on a $1.00 purchase

So now back to cleaning out my china cabinet... stuff just collecting dust :P

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 879
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »
Some more Tree Selling Tips...

Check With Cabinetmakers

By cherylwaldrop03/16/2008
If they are big old oak trees, I'd suggest calling a local furniture maker, cabinet maker, or lumber mill. Large old oak trees can be quarter-sawn to produce a grain called 'tiger oak', which is extremely rare and quite expensive. There are very few large old oak trees left which are large enough to be cut this way, in order to produce this wood grain. I would not under any circumstances pay someone to cut these trees. I'd sell them. The furniture that will be made from them will be sold for hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars! Do a Google search for 'Tiger Oak Furniture' and see what the prices are for yourself. I only know this because I own several pieces of this type furniture (I inherited it, I could never afford it). I do know that when the big old oak tree in my front yard goes down, i'm having some furniture made out of it.

Try Freecycle

By debbie (Guest Post)01/24/2008
Hi, I posted an article on freecycle. Its a yahoo group you can sign up at no cost. Post the wood and say bring a truck and friends to help you and you can have all you want.

THIS ONE caught my eye but I think it was posted last year :(

Selling Trees in Georgia
I have 75 acres of scattered hardwood and small pine trees that will be lost if not removed before mining starts. I would like to sell the trees if at all possible. I am located in east Georgia. Who can do the cutting for me? Thanks.
By Nancy Morris

http://www.thriftyfun.com/Selling-Trees-on-My-Land-for-Lumber.html

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 360
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 03:17:02 PM »

Bump !

We contacted American Stave Company and they are having the local rep call me.

Today we are the largest barrel manufacturer in the world, marketing our products in over 19 countries. Our passion and desire to capture new markets has created our newest cooperage, Tonnellerie Quintessence, in Bordeaux, France. Additionally, the company has a subsidiary, Stave Associates International, who markets export stave and heading sets to cooperages in South America, Europe, Asia and Australia.

ETA: Justin Nichols (nice chap) just called me and allowed that the closest to my location that his Company picks up timber is Sweetwater, TN.

Now to figure out how much we can send there and for how much.

Thank you, Zorgon.

Too bad so many GREAT threads fall off the front page so fast.   :P

I just about had a coronary when I estimated the board feet we made into firewood from the above-pictured oak.   :P

The Doyle Scale Rule estimates the volume based on log length, diameter, slabs, edgings, shrinkage and production of sawdust.
Formula = ((dia-4)*(dia-4))*(length/16)

10’ x 12” = 40 bd ft

10’ x 14” = 62.5 bd ft

10’ x 16” = 90 bd ft

10’ x 18” = 122 bd ft

10’ x 20” = 160 bd ft

10’ x 22” = 202.5 bd ft

10’ x 24” = 250 bd ft

10’ x 26” = 302.5 bd ft

10’ x 28” = 360 bd ft

10’ x 30” = 422.5 bd ft

Ww wonder how much White Oak we've got stashed in yonder holler?

It seems to be of some value. Here's a look at retail prices.

Quartered Red Oak: Logs to lumber

And this off CraigsList:

White Oak Lumber

EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 879
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 03:41:57 PM »

Thank you, Zorgon.[

Your welcome :D Nice to know when someone actually pays attention :D

Now hardwood firewood also has value  I recall that a merchant at the SCA medieval events was selling a bundle of Oak for $6.95. Apple and other woods for flavor went higher.

When I suggested that stave company... you need to know it was just a whim google search and they were the first company that popped up.  If you can transport a local mill would also be interested. Large oak logs are not that readily available. I used to know a hardwood flooring mill that needed them but I think the owner passed away. They were a small family company, our clients at the conventiomn and I got free 1/2 Russian Oak flooring from them. All I had to do was pull it up after the show :D  Did my office, the sewing room and the dining room  all free

Firewood

http://lcfp.com/products.html

Firewood Prices

$123.00 Pallet (1 pallet = 1/3 cord stacked, shrink wrapped & covered)
$300.00 per Cord
Kindling Wood - $10.00 per bundle

http://www.thestonestore.com/firewood-splithardwood.html

An example from Pennsic War...

Campfires
Firewood can be purchased at the camp store, or at an off-site location. Do not cut the campsite's foliage for firewood. Under no circumstances may garbage, refuse, hay, or straw be burned. Firepits must not be more than 3 feet deep, and must be filled in before you leave.

Due to the Emerald Ash Borer and other invasive pests (see details), you should plan on purchasing firewood locally, or bringing in only packaged, kiln-dried firewood. If you have any firewood left over at the end of Pennsic, do not take it home with you.

http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn41/DEPTS/infopoint.html

Many events need firewood  :D  You can fill a trailer with bundles

Just ideas  Wood has value. As soon as it cools down I will be making stuff now that I have wheels again :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:48:31 PM by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 879
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 03:49:29 PM »

Hmmmm looks like a TARGET :P

You might get your truck filled with bullet holes :D

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 360
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 05:04:48 PM »
Really?
Big trucks make big targets.
On order - 9 months waiting list...:P

EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 879
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 06:05:39 PM »
How many LOGS is that? :P

Offline The Matrix Traveller

• Gold 253
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 06:17:37 PM »

The Waipoua Kauri Forest...

A fully grown kauri can reach 60 metres and have a trunk 5 metres or more in diameter.

They are slow growing and some kauris are 2,000 years old.

These were used for the Masts, of old sailing ships...

But these trees are protected by gov. now....

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: Mark Hamill is left stunned by new Star Wars - The Last Jedi by thorfourwinds
[January 23, 2018, 07:46:49 PM]

Re: Mark Hamill is left stunned by new Star Wars - The Last Jedi by petrus4
[January 23, 2018, 04:28:31 PM]

‘Massive object HUNDREDS of miles long’ spotted on NASA live feed before was cut by rdunk
[January 23, 2018, 03:20:23 PM]

Re: 411 by ArMaP
[January 23, 2018, 02:22:47 PM]

Re: 411 by ArMaP
[January 23, 2018, 02:08:00 PM]

Re: 411 by Gigas
[January 23, 2018, 12:39:05 PM]

Re: 411 by Irene
[January 23, 2018, 12:01:21 PM]

Re: By the stars, John Lear makes a headline on Rense by Gigas
[January 23, 2018, 11:57:08 AM]

Re: Mark Hamill is left stunned by new Star Wars - The Last Jedi by Irene