collapse

Author Topic: "Missing" Lunar Orbiter Tapes Found In an Abandoned McDonald's  (Read 42713 times)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
"Missing" Lunar Orbiter Tapes Found In an Abandoned McDonalds

Prelude:
The following story was sent to me by someone that was later found to be connected with the team. I suppose it was a deliberate leak, but neither they nor I knew it would spread so far and so quickly. Several members of the team actually popped into the thread and near the end we had a request to let it cool down in return for other info. It was a fun ride... and the flock of skeptics pouncing on the thread was a hoot, until they found out the story was real... and quietly slipped out the back door. One actually sent me a PM to apologize, but he couldn't do it in the thread. I have included some of the more pertinent questions as the story developed. To read the full thread visit ATS HERE. We are only going to post the relevant data.

Pirate McDonalds

Photo Credit: Steve Jurvetson: We discovered a most unusual covert operation in a McDonald's today… What could it be? - Steve

View Comments on this photo HERE

jurvetson says:

Bingo Rocketeer for spotting mission tapes and jerryfi_99 for guessing that imagery data would take this much space. The Pirate flag is purely motivational, methinks, for a skunkworks improvising what was thought to be impossible.

Forty years ago, unmanned lunar orbiters circled the moon taking extremely high-res photos of the surface to plan landing spots for Apollo 11 onward... In this McDonalds, the only copy of that data is about to be resurrected. Erik and I dropped in for a visit after the LUNAR rocket launch at NASA Ames.

And gosh, Alieness may be right too when they look at those images carefully for three-toe footprints...

They have never been seen by the public because at the time, they were classified because they would reveal the extreme precision of our spy satellites. Instead, all we have ever seen are the grainy photo of a photo images that were released to the public.

The spacecraft did not ship this film back to Earth. Instead, they developed the film on the Lunar Orbiter and then raster scanned the negatives with a 5 micron spot (200 lines/millimeter resolution) and beamed the data back to Earth using yet-to-be-patented-by-others lossless analog compression. Three ground stations on Earth (one was in Madrid) recorded the transmissions on these magnetic tapes.

Recovering the data has proven to be very difficult, requiring technological archeology. The only working version of the Ampex tape player ($300K when new) was discovered in a chicken coop and restored with the help of the original designer. There is only one person on Earth who still refurbishes these tape heads, and he is retiring this year. The skills to read this data archive are on the cusp of disappearing forever.

Some of the applications of this project, beyond accessing the best images of the moon ever taken, are to look for new landing sites for the new Google Lunar X-Prize landers, and to compare the new craters on the moon from 40 years ago, a measure of micrometeorite flux and risk to future lunar operations.

And yes, the conspiracy continues, with McDonalds' long and sordid history with the Apollo program...

McMoon

Photo Credit: Steve Jurvetson

View Comments on this photo HERE

Behind the counter of an abandoned McDonalds lie 48,000 lbs of 70mm tape… the only copy of extremely high-resolution images of the moon.

These tapes were recorded 40 years ago as part of the Apollo program to map the lunar surface to plan landing spots for Apollo 11 onward. They have never been seen by the public because at the time, they were classified as they reveal the extreme precision of our spy satellites. Instead, all we have ever seen are the grainy photo-of-a-photo images that were released to the public.

The spacecraft did not ship this film back to Earth. Instead, they developed the film on the Lunar Orbiter and then raster scanned the negatives with a 5 micron spot (200 lines/millimeter resolution) and beamed the data back to Earth using yet-to-be-patented-by-others lossless analog compression. Three ground stations on Earth (one was in Madrid) recorded the transmissions on these magnetic tapes.

Recovering the data has proven to be very difficult, requiring technological archeology. The only working version of the Ampex tape player ($300K when new) was discovered in a chicken coop and restored with the help of the original designer. There is only one person on Earth who still refurbishes these tape heads, and he is retiring this year. The skills to read this data archive are on the cusp of disappearing forever.

Some of the applications of this project, beyond accessing the best images of the moon ever taken, are to look for new landing sites for the new Google Lunar X-Prize robo-landers, and to compare the new craters on the moon today to 40 years ago, a measure of micrometeorite flux and risk to future lunar operations.

McMoon Tour at NASA

NOTE: The original video given me on youtube is no longer available though I do have a copy on file> However since then there are a few more available with the machines in operation. I will add the new videos later, because posting them now would be like giving the ending of a book  :P. The only real difference is that in the first video, the tape machine (they only had one) was still un-operational.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:03:44 pm by zorgon »

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
  • Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    • PEGASUS RESEARCH CONSORTIUM
Re: Missing Lunar Orbiter Tapes Found In an Abandoned McDonald's
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:37:47 pm »
If you watch the video you will see one image appear on the screen near the end...
It is very significant to us that he shows LO-1-102

This is on Farside and the one we have studied for some time and featured

48,000 POUNDS of TAPE and a machine to play them on...

Also from the video you will notice that this machine is far higher tech that we should have had... the resolution is to great for a modern TV set and its liquid cooled with Liquid Nitrogen

The DOWN SIDE of this is he is already talking to NASA :( looking for funding to finish the work

::)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:24:09 pm by zorgon »
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 07:38:21 pm »
Originally posted by ziggystar60
I am also curious, where exactly is this abandoned McDonalds located? And do you have any idea how the missing tapes ended up there?

Jack has been tracking it down... he thinks he knows where it is...

The fellow that sent me the scoop (the photographer) has not yet replied back...  I will keep you posted... That is a LOT of footage...  it is currently my understanding that he does not intend to just hand them over to NASA... but it sucks that they are already there   >:(
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:25:55 pm by zorgon »
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 07:39:13 pm »
Originally posted by BlasteR
Wouldn't these guys have to explain to NASA how they got the tapes?

Okay a lot of questions here...

ONE

These ARE NOT THE MISSING APOLLO 11 TAPES, Though they are about the same quantity and size...

THESE are LUNAR ORBITER images... apparently from a SPANISH satellite station, not Gold Stone or Honeysuckle Creek in Australia

The Apollo 11 tapes missing are reported here...

The Saga Of the Lost Space Tapes
NASA Is Stumped in Search For Videos of 1969 Moonwalk

Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, January 31, 2007

They are even BIGGER tapes...

John has been saying for YEARS that the Apollo signals went to Australia FIRST... then Goldstone... then Houston where we got to see it...

This article was the first mainstream media confirmation of what he has been saying was true...

In 2002, one of the men who had worked at Australia's Honeysuckle Creek ground station in 1969 -- and who had seen the high-quality Apollo 11 video originals back then -- found a 14-inch reel of tape in his garage that seemed to be from that period. He brought it to a Honeysuckle Creek reunion and passed it around.

The tale of the missing Apollo 11 tapes is made all the more awkward because televised images of subsequent Apollo missions were greatly improved. It was only for Apollo 11 that an unusually configured video feed was used. It was transmitted from the moon to ground sites in Australia and the Mojave Desert in California, where technicians reformatted the video for broadcast and transmitted long-distance over analog lines to Houston. A lot of video quality was lost during that process, turning clear, bright images into gray blobs and oddly moving shapes -- what Lebar now calls a "bastardized" version of the actual footage.

We NEVER saw live real footage... the news crews filmed to scene from NASA's view screen... and THAT was showing the "bastardized" version of the actual footage

Since we first mentioned this Honeysuckle Creek Station has put up a website detailing all this

Honeysuckle Creek

Also the BBC under Sir Patrick Moore... also lost all THEIR copies of the Apollo 11 broadcast...

BBC Apollo 11 Missing Tapes
Sir Patrick Moore

During the Apollo programme, he was one of the presenters of BBC television's coverage of the moon landing missions. The tapes of these broadcasts no longer exist: conflicting stories have circulated as to what precisely happened to them, or whether the broadcasts were recorded at all.

Sir_Patrick_Moore

Now THESE tapes are the original scans received directly from transmissions from the Lunar Orbiters and were tracked in SPAIN

It is really fascinating that once again while looking for more information on this I once again found this image..

This historic image is the first view of Earth taken by a spacecraft from the vicinity of the Moon. The photo was transmitted to Earth by the United States Lunar Orbiter I and received at the NASA tracking station at Robledo De Chavela near Madrid, Spain. This crescent Earth was photographed August 23, 1966 at 16:35 GMT when the spacecraft was on its 16th orbit and just about to pass behind the Moon. NASA image # 67-H-218

So these tapes then would be those that were from this Robledo De Chavela tracking station near Madrid, Spain.

Why We Explore

Now in the video he says that he has already contacted NASA and they promised the 30,000.00 to replace the liquid nitrogen cooled bearings and he says they plan to fund the whole project...

So it would seem that the tapes are NOT currently NASA property...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:47:35 pm by zorgon »

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 07:39:44 pm »
Originally posted by ANoNyMiKE
Well it'll come crashing down soon enough; all someone has to do is demand they play one, games over... Though I'm sure they will come up with many fancy reasons why they cannot just play one of the films

You DID see the video yes? The one that shows the one and only machine being repaired that CAN play them?

Hmmm
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:48:42 pm by zorgon »

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 07:40:16 pm »
Originally posted by Electro38
Also HD photos back in the 1960's were actually photographs taken with kodachrome film. Although we didn't call those photos "HD" back then, they were just "photographs".

For someone making so MUCH NOISE on critical thinking I am totally amazed at your COMPLETE IGNORANCE on how the Lunar Orbiter images were acquired.

The 70 MM film was processed on board the Orbiter and the original negatives were destroyed when all FIVE Lunar Orbiters were DELIBERATELY crashed into the moon...

The image data was scanned by video on board the spacecraft and then transmitted to Earth where it was recorded on video tapes like the ones you see in the canisters and required a video tape machine to play them back... like the one in the store in the video...

I find it totally amazing the sheer stupidity presented by some people in their rampant effort to debunk... while shouting DENY IGNORANCE at the top of their lungs...

Yet never once applying ANY thought to what they are talking about

Makes me wonder who paid you to come in here and scream at us?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:50:46 pm by zorgon »

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 07:40:57 pm »
Originally posted by observe50
Zorgon I like your new Avatar but then again I liked your old one. 

My old one will return when I decide its worth my time to hang out here again :P
I will pass on regards to John ;)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:05:05 pm by zorgon »

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 07:41:24 pm »
Originally posted by serpentine
-Film stock must be kept in the fridge.

Come on people lets show some BRAINS here huh? Not FILM.... VIDEO TAPES

Originally posted by ziggystar60
I freely admit that I have been fooled many a time in my life, and I agree this story is strange and a little confusing. But I for one don't consider Zorgon a hoaxer or liar. So why don't we all just calm down and wait for him to come back with more info?

I also checked out this Steve Jurvetson, who took the image in Zorgon's OP, and Mr. Jurvetson doesn't exactly seem like your average idiot, low life hoaxer. This is his impressive bio:

Steve Jurvetson is a Managing Director of Draper Fisher Jurvetson, a leading venture capital firm with affiliate offices around the world. He was the founding VC investor in Hotmail (MSFT), Interwoven (IWOV), and Kana (KANA). He also led the firm's investments in Tradex and Cyras, acquired for $8 billion. Current Board positions include Synthetic Genomics, IMMI, NeoPhotonics, and ZARS. Previously, Steve was an R&D Engineer at Hewlett-Packard, where seven of his communications chip designs were fabricated. His prior technical experience also includes programming, materials science research (TEM atomic imaging of GaAs), and computer design at HP's PC Division, the Center for Materials Research, and Mostek. He has also worked in product marketing at Apple and NeXT Software. As a Consultant with Bain & Company, Steve developed executive marketing, sales, engineering and business strategies for a wide range of companies in the software, networking and semiconductor industries. At Stanford University, he finished his BSEE in 2.5 years and graduated #1 in his class, as the Henry Ford Scholar. Steve also holds an MS in Electrical Engineering from Stanford. He received his MBA from the Stanford Business School, where he was an Arjay Miller Scholar. He also serves on the STVP Advisory Boards and is Co-Chair of the NanoBusiness Alliance. He was honored as "The Valley's Sharpest VC" on the cover of Business 2.0 and chosen by the SF Chronicle and SF Examiner as one of "the ten people expected to have the greatest impact on the Bay Area in the early part of the 21st Century." He was profiled in the New York Times Magazine and featured on the covers of Worth, Red Herring, and Fortune magazines. Steve was chosen by Forbes as one of "Tech's Best Venture Investors", by the VC Journal as one of the "Ten Most Influential VCs", and by Fortune as part of their "Brain Trust of Top Ten Minds." He was also honored with the "Advocate of the Year Award" by Small Times and chosen as one of "Nanotech's Power Elite" by the Forbes/Wolfe Nanotech Report. In 2005, Steve was honored as a Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum and a Distinguished Alumnus by St. Mark's.

http://www.dfj.com/team/SteveJurvetson.shtml

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:34:34 pm by zorgon »

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 07:41:54 pm »
Originally posted by serpentine
Rarely if ever are bif chains abandoned,

Now for crying out loud... are all you debunkers SO DESPERATE that you can't even use GOOGLE?

Abandoned McDonalds Airway Center, Franklin, VA

Abandoned McDonalds Alconbury

http://abandonedmcdonalds.ytmnd.com/

Abandonned McDonald's Newfoundland

Now Jack and Housegroove already have tracked down TWO abandoned McDonald's that are in the 'right neighbourhood" but if you think I will tell where they are right now... You gotta be kidding :D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:39:46 pm by zorgon »

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 07:42:33 pm »
Originally posted by MrdDstrbr
Maybe this is a sign of the times. Because the US is now utterly bankrupt, they can no longer afford to hide stuff in mega underground alien bases and warehouses. McDonalds will have to do!

So maybe there is hope for the future after all. Maybe next someone will find all the Zero-Point Energy prototypes and back-engineered alien tech in an abandoned Starbucks somewhere?

But in all seriousness, as another poster said - it almost looks as if "someone" purposely left all that stuff there, right out in the open, so that it could be found.... :o ;)

Good catch  8)

That thought had crossed our minds... especially considering the resume of the photographer... and the fact they have one of those video machines in that condition...

I would speculate that there are not many around in that good condition that they only need minor repair... )it was obviously running... just did not have a compatible monitor

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:43:25 pm by zorgon »

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 07:43:09 pm »
Originally posted by franspeakfree
This is what makes ATS a cut above the rest, people like you digging trying to find the truth. OP Photo should not have been cut therefore, this dramatically changes the complete authenticity of this.

Umm really?

The "Cropping" was done by ATS to fit the image... I posted the whole thing as well as the ORIGINAL LINK to the ORIGINAL COMPLETE image at flicker...

The title of the Article BY THE PHOTOGRAPHER at Flicker is PIRATE McDONALD

His opening statement is...

We discovered a most unusual covert operation in a McDonalds today… What could it be?

That was his lead in to his account at Flicker to which I posted the link to view all the INTELLIGENT replies (unlike what I see here)

Do you guys actually READ or just shoot stuff down because it doesn't agree with you?

It is also posted HERE

But since that is on my website... which I have been asked not to link to anymore... perhaps my other Avatar won't be returning after all

Now it gets interesting :D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:20:23 pm by zorgon »

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 07:43:43 pm »
Originally posted by Dr X

Greetings,

Zorgon's post is exactly true. Only the conspiracy theorists are false. Here is a brief overview of the Lunar Orbiter Data Recovery Project:

This project started in the late 1980's when the National Space Science Data Center (NSSDC) discovered a cache of the only known remaining set of Lunar Orbiter tapes in existence stored in a "salt mine." The story there is that there are abandon salt mines that store government records, as the temperature and humidity are stable. There was some documentation attached indicating what they were and that JPL should be notified as to what their ultimate fate should be. JPL took possession of them in about 1988 or so, as there was some interest in recovering the data so that the images could be digitized and made available to the general public as the pictures were then a bulky 2000, 28" x 30" prints. The problem at that point was that no one knew what technology created the tapes so the format and method was unknown. At the time a private consulting firm became aware of the project and decided to research the issue with the purpose of proposing a data recovery project. After amassing all the Lunar Orbiter literature available, it was determined that the Ampex FR900 tape recorder (the first real video tape recorder), was used to create the tapes. More importantly it was revealed that the data was in an analog format with the video in a format called “Vestigial Sideband Filtered", slow scan TV. This knowledge set about the search for any source of FR900 tape drives. The search covered NASA sites, Vandenberg’s Pacific Missile Range at Kwajalein, the CIA and Egland AFB's radar test site in Florida. Ultimately a total of four tape drives were obtained and as far as is known, are the only remaining drives of their type in the world.

The next problem was to determine if the drives would read a tape without destroying it. After numerous calibrations and experiments on spare tape, it was determined that it would be safe to try one of the Lunar Orbiter tapes. This was done and the specified video spectrum was obtained which proved the capabilities of the drive and that the data on the tape was still there. However, in order to obtain the video from the data, a circuit called the VSB decompressor (or "restorer"), needed to be designed and constructed. This was done and a recognizable sync pulse with video data was retrieved.

This was all accomplished in about 1992. Since then several proposals to NASA and various private sources failed to produce the money required to recover this data. So the tape drives were stored in a "chicken coop" (actually it was a garage / barn combination), for the next 15 or so years. Last year a call was made form the person in the video (who I will only identify as "D" until I can obtain his permission to release his name - though I don't think this mission is actually a secret), called to ask about the tapes and the tape drives as he had some contacts that might be able to help. After visiting the "chicken coop" and ascertaining that the tapes were still at JPL's storage facility, he then made arrangements to transport both to a site in Northern California from the Los Angeles area, which he did. He then assembled a crew of experts in various fields and located a site to carry out his low budget "proof of concept" which turned out to be a McDonalds, which was located on a military base, that was closed due to poor attendance after a government cutback. As it turned out, each of the little tables, normally used for enjoying your "Happy Meal", were excellent workbenches for the various projects associated with bringing the drives back to working condition.

This then is pretty much where it is today. Once five full images are recovered, then the "Proof of Concept" will have been achieved and further funding may follow.

Someone mentioned that Google might be interested. Well they are, and they have visited the site.

Some information that might be of interest:

The products of the original LO project were:
Tape: 2" wide tape that contained all the mission data. There are about 2,000 of them

GRE file: Ground reconstruction 35mm film that were the reconstructed picture "framelett" data
About 30 of these make up one of the 28" x 30" prints.

Prints: The prints are about 28" x 30" in dimensions

There are 4 kinds of data on the FR900 Lunar Orbiter tapes:
Video: From sync to sync represents one scan line. There are 4 scan lines per meter on the surface at best resolution.
There are about 16,600 scan lines per framelett and there are about 30 framelett's per print.

Telemetry: Another channel in the video data is for telemetry, which reports on the status of the satellite.

Carrier: In order to reconstruct the original video data the carrier must be available.
But because it was suppressed by the VSB processing, it was divided by 8 and stuck in the lower sideband.

Audio: There is an audio channel that the various sites recorded the tape ID on as can be heard in the video.

Film in refrigerator:
Some have said that storing film in a refrigerator would extend its life. This is true only for unexposed film.
For exposed film, it is best to have a stable temperature and humidity, cold has no effect.

Tape storage in canisters in picture:
Note that the canisters in one of the pictures with the yellow tape. These are the 2" wide original LO tapes and
are in excellent condition. What is not in the picture are the GRE film, which were also with the tapes.

Pirate Flag:
The pirate flag was placed on the window was for fun as it was seen by some that this mission was going on
oh, shall we say, by any means possible. More for humor I am sure.

If you want more info let me know.

~ Dr. X ~

Source: ATS Thread Post

Originally posted by zorgon

Well just got to this post now...

Thank you very much for that information Dr. X.

I would also hazard a guess that the photographer, considering his resume and the projects he has been involved in, has more to tell...

Unfortunately I have not yet heard back from him directly since the initial contact so I will have to try other means... It is interesting that the two Mcdonald's that 'might' be the right ones are close to military bases, but that could be just coincidence and as yet we don't know if they are the right ones...

I will be free around Oct 8th and will be in the area so I hope to attempt a field trip
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:02:15 pm by zorgon »

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 07:44:14 pm »
Originally posted by housegroove23

OMG! WTF!

ARRRR me matey, where are me cheese burger & fries.

Ok, if this is really legit, I could see this being a McDonald's inside a military base, most likely one of the ones that got shut down like 10 years ago.

If this is legit, it would be one of the biggest and most odd disclosures that we have ever seen.....

We can always count on Zorgon for something new and exciting.

Thanks Buddy!

Originally posted byTheOneEyedProphet
Hey Dr. X I'm sure you will have noticed by now, that all the info you posted has not been read.

Now how do you know all of this? are you working in the project with them?
I would like to know where will this information be available?
Or when will it be made public to the mainstream.

And to all of you crying hoax, well, look at Dr.X posts and wait for his reply.

Originally posted by housegroove23

Thank You Dr. X and welcome,

I just read your post, so my assumption is correct, they are at a McDonalds in a abandon military base. It just made logical since, and it just so happens to be in Northern CA, which is where I am. I am to assume then that the military base would either be "McLellan AFB" or "Mather AFB" and I am literally right down the street from either of them.

Would all of you like for me to visit and go take pictures, LOL. No seriously I could do that, but it would have to be tomorrow.

Originally posted by monkeybus
So when you get there you can say 'im with Dr.x'[/size]

Zorgon:
Now THAT was funny... but to the point...
I see Housegroove 'spilled the beans" before I got this far

Originally posted by Atlantican
Is it possible that these were put out there in a controlled leak?

Zorgon:
Yes quite possible :D

Originally posted by Dr. X

Actually it is not at an abandon military base. More like an abandon McDonald's on a toned down military base. I would post more pictures but I am new to this system and don't know how that is done. Clues please.

Thanks,

~ Dr. X ~

Originally posted by Mr Penny
Take it easy.....Dr. X's contribution is interesting at least, but there's nothing that definitely places him as "involved", or "clearing" anything up. The poster has simply added some data to the mystery.

Originally posted by Dr. X

Well, as it turns out, I am involved. What would you like clarified?

~ Dr. X ~
PS: It appears that here is another Dr. X on this system. However, I sign my posts as "~ Dr. X ~" so you can tell the difference.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 05:26:07 pm by zorgon »

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 07:44:50 pm »
Originally posted bynfotech

Thanks Dr X for the clarification and thanks to Zorgon for the post. I always like to see the pseudo skeptics dive back under their rocks.

Skepticism is good but when people just start making unsupported and fantasy level statements as fact, ie - "there are no abandoned McDonald's", "The pirate flag indicates this is a hoax", the "tapes were found in the abandoned McDonald's", etc, etc --it becomes clear that some are threatened by the possibility, have a serious debunking habit or just want to attack Zorgon in some cases.

"Deny Ignorance"

Well, that's funny as ignorance is what I would describe a majority of the "this is a hoax" posts I've just read. Some people seem extremely ready to jump to conclusions without sufficient evidence, I sure hope none of you actively show up for jury duty.

Please keep us updated on the project and if you have more of the historical background, contact info for those who would like to encourage Google to fund the project, etc please post it.

Has a thread been started on the Google X-Prize forum yet?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:35:57 pm by zorgon »

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 07:45:11 pm »
Originally posted by warpboost

I don't think there's anything really strange about these guys being resourceful, and using an abandoned McDonalds for their makeshift workspace until they get some real funding which they mention in the video. From what little research I did I understand the McDonalds is located at Nasa Ames Moffett field which has basically been closed.

I found this on the wiki entry for Moffett field:

Moffett Field's facilities available to residents include a pool, post office, golf course, tennis courts, gas station, and several small shops and restaurants, including an on-site McDonald's which closed April 30, 2008.

Moffett_Federal_Airfield

I bet you could use google maps local live to get a good look at the place is you're really curious

Zorgon:
Now your talking... Moffet Field...  An old NASA facility... :D

Thanks!

Moffett Federal Airfield
NASA AMES Research Center

Moffett Federal Airfield (IATA: NUQ, ICAO: KNUQ), also known as Moffett Field, is a joint civil-military airport located 3 miles (5 km) north of Mountain View, in Santa Clara County, California, USA. The airport is near the south end of San Francisco Bay, north of San Jose. Formerly a United States Navy facility, the former naval air station is now owned and operated by the NASA Ames Research Center. Tenant military activities include the 129th Rescue Wing of the California Air National Guard, operating the HC-130 Hercules, MC-130 Combat Shadow and HH-60 Pave Hawk aircraft, as well as the adjacent Onizuka Air Force Station and Headquarters for the 7th Psychological Operations Group of the U.S. Army Reserve. NASA also operates several aircraft from Moffett, including the ER-2, a civilian research version of the U-2.

By far the most famous and visible sites are hangars #1, #2, and #3, which dwarf the surrounding buildings. Hangar One is one of the most remarkable hangars in the world[citation needed]. Hangars #2 and #3 are significant more for their size than their unique styling or design. Hangar One is a Naval Historical Monument and the entire airfield is a United States Registered Historic District.

In May, 2008 The National Trust for Historic Preservation listed Hangar One on their list of America's Most Endangered Places.

The NASA Ames site is home to several wind tunnels, including the Unitary Plan Wind Tunnel (a National Historic Landmark), and the National Full-Scale Aerodynamic Complex (NFAC).

United States Federal Aviation Administration
FAA airport diagram for NUQ (Moffett Federal Airfield) in California, United States.

Pirate McDonald's at Moffat Field

Abandoned McDonalds at Moffet Field
+37° 24' 33.58", -122° 3' 17.26"

The location was also confirmed by Dr. X, who came to post at AboveTopSecret.com in response to this release and shared information with us.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 05:26:42 pm by zorgon »

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter