collapse

Author Topic: under the ocean - a bald Ccpress forest  (Read 3536 times)

sky otter

under the ocean - a bald Ccpress forest
« on: July 09, 2013, 05:22:04 pm »
one vid here
http://news.msn.com/videos/?ap=True&videoid=2c95f7ec-184e-8e60-1111-83ad85c3fa0d&from=en-us_msnhp

story and vid here

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/08/ancient-underwater-forest-discovered-alabama_n_3562730.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular
video at link
Ancient Underwater Forest: 50,000 Year-Old Swamp Discovered By Scuba Divers Off Alabama's Coast
LiveScience  |  By Tia Ghose
Posted: 07/09/2013 12:35 am EDT  |  Updated: 07/09/2013 5:09 pm EDT

Scuba divers have discovered a primeval underwater forest off the coast of Alabama.

The Bald Cypress forest was buried under ocean sediments, protected in an oxygen-free environment for more than 50,000 years, but was likely uncovered by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, said Ben Raines, one of the first divers to explore the underwater forest and the executive director of the nonprofit Weeks Bay Foundation, which researches estuaries.

The forest contains trees so well-preserved that when they are cut, they still smell like fresh Cypress sap, Raines said.

The stumps of the Cypress trees span an area of at least 0.5 square miles (0.8 kilometers), several miles from the coast of Mobile, Ala., and sit about 60 feet (18 meters) below the surface of the Gulf of Mexico.

Despite its discovery only recently, the underwater landscape has just a few years to be explored, before wood-burrowing marine animals destroy the ancient forest. [8 of the World's Most Endangered Places]

Closely guarded secret

Raines was talking with a friend who owned a dive shop about a year after Hurricane Katrina. The dive shop owner confided that a local fisherman had found a site teeming with fish and wildlife and suspected that something big was hidden below. The diver went down to explore and found a forest of trees, then told Raines about his stunning find.

But because scuba divers often take artifacts from shipwrecks and other sites, the dive shop owner refused to disclose the location for many years, Raines said.

In 2012, the owner finally revealed the site's location after swearing Raines to secrecy. Raines then did his own dive and discovered a primeval Cypress swamp in pristine condition. The forest had become an artificial reef, attracting fish, crustaceans, sea anemones and other underwater life burrowing between the roots of dislodged stumps. [Images: Mysterious Underwater Stone Structure]

Some of the trees were truly massive, and many logs had fallen over before being covered by ocean sediment. Raines swam the length of the logs.

"Swimming around amidst these stumps and logs, you just feel like you're in this fairy world," Raines told LiveScience's OurAmazingPlanet.

Primeval forest

Raines reached out to several scientists to learn more about the forest. One of those scientists was Grant Harley, a dendrochronologist (someone who studies tree rings) at the University of Southern Mississippi.

Harley was intrigued, and together with geographer Kristine DeLong of Louisiana State University, set out to discover the site's secrets.

The research team created a sonar map of the area and analyzed two samples Raines took from trees. DeLong is planning her own dive at the site later this year. Because of the forest depth, scuba divers can only stay below for about 40 minutes before coming up.

Carbon isotopes (atoms of the same element that have different molecular weights) revealed that the trees were about 52,000 years old.

The trees' growth rings could reveal secrets about the climate of the Gulf of Mexico thousands of years ago, during a period known as the Wisconsin Glacial period, when sea levels were much lower than they are today. [World's Weirdest Geological Formations]

In addition, because Bald Cypress trees can live a thousand years, and there are so many of them, the trees could contain thousands of years of climate history for the region, Harley said.

"These stumps are so big, they're upwards of two meters in diameter — the size of trucks," Harley told OurAmazingPlanet. "They probably contain thousands of growth rings."

The team, which has not yet published their results in a peer-reviewed journal, is currently applying for grants to explore the site more thoroughly.

Harley estimates they have just two years.

"The longer this wood sits on the bottom of the ocean, the more marine organisms burrow into the wood, which can create hurdles when we are trying to get radiocarbon dates," Harley said. "It can really make the sample undatable, unusable."

Follow Tia Ghose on Twitter and Google+. Follow OurAmazingPlanet @OAPlanet, Facebook and Google+. Original article at LiveScience's OurAmazingPlanet.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:16:05 pm by zorgon »

Offline 1Worldwatcher

• Gold 145
  • "Why are we all here? Because we ain't all there!"
    • Inception Radio Live-Chat
Re: under the ocean - a bald Ccpress forest
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 06:13:50 pm »
Yes, this is a very interesting story Sky, I have found it this morning while drinking the morning Java. I had to do a reread of the article , either blurry eyes or not awake as of
yet when I read this article, but, with in the 'Comments' there was a gentleman that was less than happy with Raines giving this information out to the Media.. "Are you aware of this Sky?"

I have tried to contact this person farther, but apparently there is more too all this than meets the eye, some real harbored animosity as it were. And from what I had discuss with this gentleman so far, it really get's quite, how does one say, "Shady"  for what it en-tales.

Just thought I would give you a heads up on that note, seems as if this wasn't suppose to publicized, but, you read the article and here you have posted of it, will keep you updated if I hear anything of the 'Whys' this was not suppose to be released mainstream. OK. ;)

With Great Respect,
1Worldatcher
"To know men is too have knowledge, to know self is to have insight."

Offline Sgt.Rocknroll

• Gold 343
  • Miss you Zorgon
    • Sgt.Rocknroll
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 07:39:15 pm »
Ok it's not really a forest per se, more like stumps, & cypress knees & not a free standing forest. Be careful tho Shelby Stanga of Ax Men will be hunting that area for the stumps!  ;D
Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini Tuo da gloriam

Offline 1Worldwatcher

• Gold 145
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 08:09:26 pm »
Ok it's not really a forest per se, more like stumps, & cypress knees & not a free standing forest. Be careful tho Shelby Stanga of Ax Men will be hunting that area for the stumps!  ;D

LOL Sgt., I was thinking about the same exact thing while reading the article... HA ha ha ha....:D

I pictured History Ch. pulling out the check book!! LOL Thought I would let you know, Stanga may be there before we know it my friend..  ;)

1WW

sky otter

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 08:49:43 pm »
 ;D

1ww
yeah Ben Raines was sworn to secrecy and there he is diving and telling..doesn't sound like a guy you could trust..
In 2012, the owner finally revealed the site's location after swearing Raines to secrecy

i forgot to add the original article..pretty much the same as huff post
here and with another vid
http://www.livescience.com/37977-underwater-cypress-forest-discovered.html

sgt..it also says stumps and logs and has been edited to correct the size

The stumps of the Cypress trees span an area of at least 0.5 square miles (1.3 square kilometers), several miles from the coast of Mobile, Ala., and sit about 60 feet (18 meters) below the surface of the Gulf of Mexico.

Editor's Note: This article has been updated to correct the metric conversion of the area the forest spans. It is 1.3 square kilometers, not 0.8 kilometers.

kinda amazing that the oil spill didn't get it?...
and sadly i'm not sure i believe anything i read anymore.. i have to wonder what they are leaving out or adding in to sell their story..sigh

::)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:08:04 pm »
Just thought I would give you a heads up on that note, seems as if this wasn't suppose to publicized, but, you read the article and here you have posted of it, will keep you updated if I hear anything of the 'Whys' this was not suppose to be released mainstream. OK. ;)

The why's are easy... to keep the hoard of divers away :D Or maybe they found an Atlantian Cottage or two amongst the trees

But one thing we are NOT good at at Pegasus... is keeping quiet :P

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:16:56 pm by zorgon »

Offline 1Worldwatcher

• Gold 145
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 09:15:14 pm »
The why's are easy... to keep the hoard of divers away :D Or maybe they found an Atlantian Cottage or two amongst the trees

Well, it may well hold some remarkable body remains of the elusive Sasquatch 'Z', and we know how they love the tree's !!  8)  ::)

But one thing we are NOT good at at Pegasus... is keeping quiet :P

I was kind of figuring that you had this news before it was news 'Z', after all, you are always being forward of how your information never gets asked about... ??? Guess the beauty is in the eye (Or mouth in this case) of the beholder... Back at ya!! :P

1WW

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 09:18:35 pm »
I was kind of figuring that you had this news before it was news 'Z',

Nope have been off my game for some time   :'(

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 09:38:12 pm »
So they found it in 2005 and they only told us 2012.... and now it only has a few years left before its all destroyed bt sea life...

So the guy keeping it secret did us a disservice   >:(

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 09:52:58 pm »
Cypress Trees Saw Rupturing of Earth's Supercontinents

They say 50,000 years on these trees... interesting if true because that means a lot of sea coast was dry land not that long ago. I seem to recall them claiming that the sea levels hadn't been that low for millions of years...

An ancient family of trees, the cypresses, got their start on the supercontinent Pangaea before it split apart. New genetic research indicates this continental split helped shaped the evolution of these trees, which now include giant redwoods and sequoias.

More than 200 million years ago, Pangaea contained all the modern continents, squished up against one another. The separation of these continents isolated populations of living things, putting them on different evolutionary paths.

Scientists have already found evidence of the separation of the continents in the family histories of reptiles, amphibians and mammals.

"Until now, there has been no equivalent evidence for any plant family," writes an international team of researchers in a study published May 1 in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The cypress family, Cupressaceae, a group of conifers with scalelike leaves, is believed to have originated more than 200 million years ago, when Pangaea was still intact, according to the researchers.

By looking at changes in the DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid, the code that makes up genes) of 122 species of cypress, the researchers were able to reconstruct a timeline for their evolution. They also included fossil evidence in the analysis.

The most recently evolved subfamilies of cypress, Cupressoideae and Callitroideae, split from each other about 153 million years ago, as the two remnants of Pangaea pulled away from each other. The northern half, Laurasia, contained what would become North America, Greenland, Europe and much of Asia, while the southern half, Gondwana, would later become South America, Africa, India, Antarctica and Australia.

The legacy remains. Living members of Cupressoideae occur mainly in former Laurasian continents, while Callitroideae are found on the fragments of what was Gondwana, write the researchers led by Kangshan Mao of Lanzhou University, China.

Cypress are now found on all continents except Antarctica, they note.

http://www.livescience.com/20109-pangaea-cypress-family-tree.html
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:54:47 pm by zorgon »

deuem

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 01:44:25 am »
Where there are Big stumps there is money. They just have to pull them all out and sell the special wood. They could make a lot of money from the sea. Hey it is not very deep.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter