collapse

Author Topic: Help for technical issues on your PC  (Read 114432 times)

Cosmic4life

Re: Help for technical issues on your PC
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2012, 09:06:44 am »
Thank You both.  My friend is A+ certified, but has limited resources.  And yes, I have 1 gig of ram.  (Well, .99...)

It was My fault for not asking Him when I deleted the files I did.  He probably would NOT have deleted them.  But He was sleeping and I thought the software knew best...  From now on, I'm not doing anything on My own with this machine.

Cosmic, I would love to get a new machine with the software I need on it.  But unless it's free, I do not have the money.  I have applied to over 50,000 jobs in the last 6+ years since I was laid off, have lost My family, my possessions (except for the computer, some bedding and some clothes), My home.  No One is hiring an arthritic old lady (who cannot do any job requiring standing more than 1/2 hour at a time) when They have 50 other applicants all 20- or 30- or 40-something.  I am LITERALLY penniless.  And I mean that specifically and...LITERALLY.

Damn...i wish i could help you Amy...

I only have pennies....

Cosmic..

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2012, 09:12:57 am »
Not a problem, Cosmic.  I have received an offer to fix everything and upgrade RAM, but I have to send My computer across country.  And I don't have the wherewithal to do that.

Somehow this will all be sorted out.
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Cosmic4life

« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2012, 09:32:33 am »
Not a problem, Cosmic.  I have received an offer to fix everything and upgrade RAM, but I have to send My computer across country.  And I don't have the wherewithal to do that.

Somehow this will all be sorted out.

It is a great shame there is no-one in your local community/friends that can help you....having to send your computer overland seems like a bit of mission, i guess i'm a bit spoiled living in a city with all kinds of support.

If you don't mind me asking...where are you ?  This being a Global site, i have no idea where you are.

Cosmic..

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2012, 09:38:01 am »
I'm presently out on Long Island, NY.  But I know My friend here and have met a few people through Him - one has helped with food since My food stamps ran out.  (But I am still nearly out of food - living on the last of My rice now...)  But none of Them are computer People, and My friend is living on a fixed income...  And well.  It's tough.

I have a prospect for a place to move to - but the specifics of the date are still in the air.  And there, I will have work and community.  Until then, I will make do.  [smile]
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2012, 09:45:22 am »
HI Ellirium,

Have you been able to remote in to look around or just send her instructions to follow?

Amaterasu,
Just sent you PM.

No, we looked at system information reports I sent her screen by screen instructions to improve memory performance and clear out some stuff sucking her system rescources down. She has installed and ran a few different programs to remove and clean spyware etc. and the problems persist. I am convinced this is a memory issue more so than a problem stemming from this flash player virus. She also had been running the video on non-native resolution which was causing some heat issues with the video card and resulting in red lines etc. on her screen. Regardless if she manages to cure the virus or not there is still this issue of not enough physical memory to run flash within chrome.

On June 3rd I received a message that youtube video was able to play, this is why I am NOT convinced this is the virus doing this.

So what else got installed that killed the rest of the physical memory? would be my question.

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2012, 09:51:19 am »
Actually...  The red snow persists, regardless of the resolution...  Seems to have more to do with the TV I have it connected to.  It was thrown out and My friend picked it up from the trash.

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2012, 09:54:34 am »
Actually...  The red snow persists, regardless of the resolution...  Seems to have more to do with the TV I have it connected to.  It was thrown out and My friend picked it up from the trash.

LOL in light of this NEW information I'll condemn your tv instead of the videocard then.  :P

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2012, 10:04:43 am »
LOL!  Guess I didn't make that clear.  [smile]

Yeah, it's a sucky screen, but even still, I like it better than a CRT.

Fruitbat

« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2012, 07:24:41 am »

May I weigh in on this discussion?

Although not an expert by any means, I've been following the developement of malware for a number of years now, and if you think you can ever have a guaranteed clean computer, using up to date sotware, then you are sadly naive. I am fantastically lucky in that I can fairly easily repair my computers, so my heartfelt advice to ameratsu is easy to give, but maybe hard for her or anyone else to implement but, one day you'll buy a new or second hand computer so here goes:

1. ALWAYS, ALWAYS get the "restore discs", it will save you a vast amount of messing about later, and increased the resale value and ease of sale no end...

2. Even if like me, you are a "mess", learn enough about saving, and "folders" to be able to move your stuff onto an external hard drive or USB stick. Losing a few programs is a pain in the butt, losing stuff you personally created or found on a now defunct website, really, really, sucks. When my laptop got nicke I only lost one valuable set of photos of my family, becuse I occasionally rember to make a backup.. The hard disc (in my day, the 1990's and aerly 2000's) was always the most prone to failure (and irrepairable by ANYONE that you are likely to have access to) part of the computer. MAKE BACKUPS.

3. IF you get malware, and even manage to remove it, it may have dropped a non-detectable software payload, that rarely activates, so wipe, or better yet upgrade, then restore your computers hard drive at your aerliest convenience.

4. Even if you have no money, you can find a good "free" (you get nag screens, which need to be closed from time to time) antivirus/protection package on teh web, if you are going to use one, RIGHT AFTER THE RESTORE and before the "updates" run is the good time to install it.

5. it takes 2 hours to do a fresh build of windows, if you know what you are doing and have organised yoruself, much less if you have the restore discs. and a few minutes to then restore your backup folders. 

6. if you are going to be "hardcore" about your internet security, (I.E. you are hacking area 51, or simply are very, very, paranoid) you need to do the following daily.... :c)
That is: open new computer, surf, make backups, erase hard drive and restore to factory fresh. Use a different name, for yourself, the admin account, the local network, and the computer each time. and the ultimate protector is of course , to always actually connect via someone elses access point. having a shedload of different network cards in order to regularly change your mac address, is probably helpful, but may be a step to far for most people.

7, On a more SENSIBLE note, IF Ameratsu had acquired her used laptop from me, and was asking for help with her infestation, knowing how she's actually a bit useful in the grand scheme of things, I'd be asking her if she had any backups, before rebuilding her machine. I worked for a while in the leadng antivirus company of it's time, (English, don'tcha know?) abd gained just enough coding knowledge, to tell you that prevention is better than cure, and that the real cure is ALWAYS a software reboot for a long standing infestation. It's simple, if someone has infected your PC with software that allows them to make covert changes to it's loading, by the time the antivirus software gets updated enough to catch and deal with it, it's mroe than liekly that newer changes will have happened to your PC, that the software cannot deal with.
They call them viruses, because they "mutate" 2 hours maximum for a back up and restore, can be a much more attractive opition tahn days of messing about with trying to fix your compromised operating system, with or without professional help.

Now I.T. People being what they are, (and there are a fair few here I am sure) it may be that someone has a different idea of how these things should be dealt with. This post certainly isn't perfect, (I wrote it!) but I don't want to confuse the newbs any more than is absolutely neccesary. So I'll say if you can do it better please do, and allow me to remove my post, so that yours can stand instead as the best effort at making a definitive way of dealing with this virus crap for those who may not have access to a professional IT person.

Fruitbat.

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2012, 07:35:09 am »
Here is some better advice.  If you don't absolutely have to use windows then this is what you should do.

Buy the PC.  Download a version of Linux.  For a start it is free.  There are lots to choose from.  If you aren't technically minded go for Linux Mint or Ubuntu first as they are even easier to set up than Windows. to set up. http://distrowatch.com/

If you run Linux, almost all malware will not run on your computer.  you can use it for Office Applications, Internet browsing, image manipulation or music.  There are free Linux versions of pretty much anything you might want to use.  It is also much more stable than windows and you can run versions that are not resource hungry so your PC will work faster.

Give up on Microsoft products if you want a virus free life. ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:40:21 am by Pimander »

Offline andolin

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 29
  • "As above, So below".....Hermes
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2012, 07:42:39 am »
Here is some better advice.  If you don't absolutely have to use windows then this is what you should do.

Buy the PC.  Download a version of Linux.  For a start it is free.  There are lots to choose from.  If you aren't technically minded go for Linux Mint or Ubuntu first as they are even easier to set up that Windows. to set up. http://distrowatch.com/

If you run Linux, almost all malware will not run on your computer.  you can use it for Office Applications, Internet browsing, image manipulation or music.  There are free Linux versions of pretty much anything you might want to use.  It is also muck more stable than windows and you can run versions that are not resource hungry so your PC will work faster.

I run a Linux/Mint distro from a USB drive just for websurfing and office work...No problems...I have a link for a one click freeware software program (rufus), that lets you set up an operating system to boot from your USB drive....Just pull the drive from the port and your PC will boot to your normal operating system. Not sure if I am allowed to post the link here...Just google it...

Andy

Fruitbat

« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2012, 07:56:17 am »
B@st@rds!!

Your replies are both better than mine, but (for me pose the dillema of do I remove my post, or not, becuse it's still relevant to most current users).

AND

You've made me HAVE to work a bit and go try linux "mint". I have a very credible mate who swears by it for all the reasons you mentioned, Pimander. I really like Andy's idea of the bootable USB stick, becuse that incorporates elements of backing up automatically.

That's the last time I try to be helpful, it's just ended up giving me more to do. :c)

Seriously, good replies, and the point about Linux being less prone to malware is absolutely true. Linus being open source is less prone to secrets and misinformation as to how it works, which should make "home maintenance" easier too.

FB!

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2012, 08:03:23 am »
Fruitbat, your post is good to stand.  Some folks are tied to Windows.

You can post anything except copyright infringements and general nastiness.  MAke sure it is in the right area though or you might get into trouble with the admin team. :)

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2012, 10:29:56 am »
Greetings:

Great reply and advice, friend Fruitbat.

Thank you for the time, consideration and thoughtfulness.

AmaterasuSolar computer UPDATE

Once we got Amy moved here to TEAM RABUN country, we brought her communications device to the shop and resolved all of her (computer) problems, including a complete wipe and all new software install and stuffed it full of RAM and gave her a new monitor. We also used our new program, Chamisa. We think she is still missing Photoshop.    :'(

Chamisa-An Innovation in Computer Repair

A Computer that is sick with Spyware, Viruses, Trojans, Worms and Rootkits can be expensive and frustrating to fix. A visit to the computer repair shop can cost hundreds of dollars and leave you computer-less for days.

Trying to find a solution online can be confusing to say the least.

Don’t you wish someone would come up with a program that can run at home, that’s inexpensive, foolproof and so easy to use you don’t have to ask your kids (or ferrets) for help?

Check this out and tell them Thor sent you for the FREE Beta Test Invite.

MILITARY

The roots of patriotism run deep within our company as the team at Chamisa comes from military families.

When you have a loved one serving overseas, we understand the frustration of using instant and video messaging services or just trying to communicate through email when your computer is not working properly. Buffering video, lagging instant messages or computer crashes can be disappointing.

Chamisa would like to extend an offer to all active military and their immediate families.

For all you do, you will be able to run Chamisa on your computer free of charge.

It's just our way of saying Thank You and giving back to all those that give so much for our country.

To get a promotional code valid to download Chamisa for free please call us directly at 706-782-0065.

Peace Love Light

tfw

Liberty & Equality or Revolution
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:52:07 pm by thorfourwinds »
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2012, 03:55:23 pm »
It is also much more stable than windows and you can run versions that are not resource hungry so your PC will work faster.
I never noticed any difference.

Even better, learn how things work and how to use the Internet and you will have a virus free life, like me. ;D

I forgot one thing, Fruitbat's suggestion is the best because it talks about backup, and that's something we all should do (me included ;D ), regardless of operating system.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: Music You Love by RUSSO
[Today at 02:12:02 am]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56