collapse

Author Topic: Joint decision  (Read 32714 times)

Offline Elvis Hendrix

• Gold 398
  • It is not the critic that counts.
Joint decision
« on: October 22, 2013, 03:39:48 am »

Uruguay is set to become the first country in the world to legalize the sale of marijuana at a market price of US$1 a gram. The bill is expected to pass through the senate in November, bringing the $40 million industry under state control.

The legislation was passed through the lower house earlier this year in August and backed by President Jose Mujica’s government. The measure is part of an initiative to combat the illegal drugs trade in Latin America and curtail cartel violence, which has decimated parts of the region.

Lawmakers have agreed at an initial price of $1 per gram of the drug, a price that aims to compete with the illegal market value, which currently stands at around $1.40 for a gram.

National Drug Board chief Jose Calzada told Uruguayan newspaper El Pais that bringing the industry under state control “will provide a safe place to buy, a good quality product and moreover will sell at a standard price.”

He assured that one gram is enough for “one large joint and three slimmer ones,” stating the first legal marijuana crop should hit the market in the middle of 2014.

The legislation stipulates a number of conditions that will govern the sale of the drug. Uruguayan citizens will be required to register in a private database to be able to purchase marijuana and will be restricted to 40 grams each per month.

Moreover, citizens will legally be allowed to cultivate six marijuana plants per head or band together and organize a club of up to 45 members with the possibility of growing 99 plants.

The Uruguayan state will also offer advice to marijuana users on the drug’s consumption.

“As well as smoking marijuana in a cigarette, you can also vaporize it - which is much less harmful - or consume it in food like brownies,” said Calzada.   

There are still a number of details to finalize in the Uruguayan bill to legalize marijuana. At present no money has been allocated to finance the new director for the Institute for the Regulation and Control of Cannabis.

The initiative has also hit upon opposition politicians who released a poll over the summer that claimed that 60 per cent of the country’s population was against the idea.

The National Drug Board estimates that there are around 120,000 marijuana users in Uruguay from a population of 3.3 million. Consumer groups estimate that the figure as higher, putting the number of users at around 200,000.

The board has also calculated that about 20 hectares will be needed in order to satisfy demand. As part of the initiative, the Uruguayan government will give licenses to private businesses, which will be allowed to cultivate on state-controlled land.

Source
http://rt.com/news/uruguay-legalizes-marijuana-dollar-530/
"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."
B H.

Offline Sinny

• Gold 305
  • Think In, Out and Around The Box.
Re: Joint decision
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 04:18:59 am »
I'm moving to Uruguay - $1 a gram  :o

I'm paying £10 per gram on the UK black market!!!!

Awesome title BTW aha.
"The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society"- JFK

Offline Elvis Hendrix

• Gold 398
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 04:27:52 am »

Awesome title BTW aha.

Ha Ha Sinny :D

Theres talk of California doing the same in 2016.. Its gonna happen sooner or later what with all the legal highs flying around.
Why dont they just tax the stuff and take it out of the black market.
Its going to be a long haul for the uk though with the old bbc mentality
and the tories.
One day Sinny.
"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."
B H.

deuem

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 05:04:29 am »
Why dont they just tax the stuff and take it out of the black market.

Answer $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, Simple. More money to make while black.

Hum 1 ounce = 28.34 grams.  Way back on the way back machine of life an ounce used to cost 20 bucks. Inflation due to politics...?  I know, I am old...

Offline Anthra

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 30
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 06:11:48 am »

Hum 1 ounce = 28.34 grams.  Way back on the way back machine of life an ounce used to cost 20 bucks. Inflation due to politics...?  I know, I am old...

This will date me...I can remember $10 oz. We called them "lids".

The reason weed is not legal in Calif. is because at the last election the growers banded together to defeat the measure. The reason: they make more money on the black market than if legal. They didn't even try to hide this fact,

And, yes, eventually the ordinary person, "us" the people will get it our way...Maybe next election.   Course, then there is the great state of Texas...sigh...I really should move back to Spokane, Wa.

Offline Elvis Hendrix

• Gold 398
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 07:10:20 am »
The thing is now with autoflowering plants its so easy to grow yourself.
No special lights needed just a window sill and a bit of patience.
Thats gotta be the way forward.
B H.

Offline Sinny

• Gold 305
  • Think In, Out and Around The Box.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 07:59:02 am »
The thing is now with autoflowering plants its so easy to grow yourself.
No special lights needed just a window sill and a bit of patience.
Thats gotta be the way forward.

Post me some of these @Autoflowering' plants  ;D
"The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society"- JFK

Offline Elvis Hendrix

• Gold 398
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 08:39:32 am »
Post me some of these @Autoflowering' plants  ;D

You should give it a go Sinny its a doddle. Ive got a little white widow on my south facing window sill at the mo. I keep the pot really small to keep the plant small and inconspicuous. Its actually the size of a baked bean tin. No lights, just tap water and wait. Great fun.
B H.

Cosmic4life

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 08:44:07 am »

Awesome title BTW aha.

Ah but is it skunk or is it cabbage .... that is the question ...  ;D

One Dollar a gram sounds like cabbage low grade .... Ten Quid gets you one gram of Stinky Super Skunk.

Pricing should be in accordance with strength just like booze .... then Flavor .... then Quantity .... I expect this will become the case naturally in Uruguay as the market develops just like any other product.

C..

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 10:07:53 am »

This will date me...I can remember $10 oz. We called them "lids".

Heh.  When I was in college, it was $10 a lid...
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 12:02:32 pm »
The legislation stipulates a number of conditions that will govern the sale of the drug. Uruguayan citizens will be required to register in a private database to be able to purchase marijuana and will be restricted to 40 grams each per month.

As I wrote about this before, if getting rid of the dealers is the goal, they should not cap consumption per month.  I knew people in Nimbin who would smoke 40 grams in ten to fourteen days, let alone a month.  I could only afford five grams per fortnight, and I had to mix that heavily with other herbs to make it last, and I was only smoking about four joints per week, most of the time. 

If I have my way, when I am going to smoke, I will ideally want one gram a night, in two joints spaced out over 4-6 hours.  When I smoke, I don't do so to get stoned out of my mind, but for marijuana's soothing and overall positive effect on my mood, which I will still notice for close to the next two days after smoking.  A heavy smoker could fairly easily go through five grams in a weekend, without two much trouble.  That is only 10 medium sized joints.

So if they cap it at 40 grams a month, they are still going to have dealers, for heavy smokers at least.  Still, it's a major step in the right direction.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 12:05:14 pm by petrus4 »
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 12:11:28 pm »

An ounce in Nimbin now would be $200 AUD, and here in Victoria is $320.  Victoria is one of the most repressive drug jurisdictions on the planet, so the extra money is mostly hazard pay.  The government are silly making things so strict, though; there was lethal violence around my place in Sunbury, with people getting stabbed and shot, and it was all over weed, from what I heard.

Criminalisation is not the way to deal with drugs.  I am not saying that every drug should be in the hands of anyone, no.  I still think LSD should be only available to over 18s, and heroin, cocaine, and speed ideally should not be used by anyone, because all they really do is either kill people, or in the case of speed, make people violent.  Still, people are going to take them.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline Anthra

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 30
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 12:22:48 pm »
Heh.  When I was in college, it was $10 a lid...

Yep...college dayz...Would visit Haight street in San Francisco. Dinosaurs roamed the land then ya know  :)

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 12:24:07 pm »
Yes, I seem to recall...  LOL!

I was in LA at the time.
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 12:32:08 pm »
$1.00 per gram...

GMO product laced with pesticides  :D

Enjoy :P

Question... can you post while high? or will Pegasus become deserted :P

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link