collapse

Author Topic: Art Bell has passed away  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Titan

• Regular Members
  • Gold 5
Art Bell has passed away
« on: April 14, 2018, 07:28:25 am »
Art Bell passed away at his Pahrump, Nevada home Friday April 13th. An autopsy is to be conducted in a few days to determine cause of death.  He was 72.

This is heartbreaking news to me and I would guess many people here who were a part of Art's C2C community in the 90's, and tuned
in on those rare times that he returned.

A very sad day that seems to mark yet another sign that the world I knew is quickly vanishing into history all the more day by day
as a new, unfamiliar and often totally mad one seems to replace it.

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
Re: Art Bell has passed away
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 09:20:15 am »
A very sad day that seems to mark yet another sign that the world I knew is quickly vanishing into history all the more day by day as a new, unfamiliar and often totally mad one seems to replace it.

Then loudly cried the bold Sir Bedivere:
"Ah! my Lord Arthur, whither shall I go?
Where shall I hide my forehead and my eyes?
For now I see the true old times are dead,
When every morning brought a noble chance,
And every chance brought out a noble knight.
Such times have been not since the light that led
The holy Elders with the gift of myrrh.
But now the whole ROUND TABLE is dissolved
Which was an image of the mighty world;
And I, the last, go forth companionless,
And the days darken round me, and the years,
Among new men, strange faces, other minds."

-- Tennyson, Morte d'Arthur.

I wonder on a daily basis, what sin I committed in a former life, to be alive in the 21st century.  It at times seems a horrific punishment; when as you say, on a daily basis the environment is dying, and everything that was previously considered worth preserving is gradually destroyed, purely for the sake of the aggrandisement of psychopaths and tyrants.  The pace of that only seems to quicken every year.

Yet I have to also remind myself of the words of a particular tantric, who once said that a person does not truly love Kali until he can praise her for caressing him with both her right arms, signifying good fortune, and her left, signifying loss, pain, and sorrow.  Mother both grants and demands endurance, and willingness to dispassionately observe the apocalyptic horrors of genetic engineering, transhumanism, artificial intelligence, and the Godless, apathetic worship of money which has overtaken the world.

Kali is a demon slayer.  Of what use is a demon slayer, when there are no demons?

I was also reminded last night, that I would truly be willing to mentally and emotionally cast every element of the Age of Aquarius into the infernal pit from whence I have at times sincerely believed it came, if not for my love of the UNIX operating system.  If Aquarius never gives us anything else good, then I am going to try and remember that it still gave me UNIX.

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

-- Matthew 28:18-20, NIV.

Pisces still has not completely ended.  Not quite yet.  While I still live, it never will.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:28:29 am by petrus4 »
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 10:57:14 am »

somehow friday the 13th seems appropriate..rip Art

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/art-bell-paranormal-radio-show-host-dies-on-friday-the-13th-at-age-72/ar-AAvSdcW?li=BBnb7Kz

Art Bell, Paranormal Radio Show Host, Dies on Friday the 13th at Age 72
 TheWrap     Thom Geier    3 hrs ago

Provided by TheWrap

Art Bell, a self-proclaimed expert on the paranormal who hosted a popular syndicated radio show for decades, has died at the age of 72 -- on Friday the 13th, appropriately enough.

Bell died in his home in Pahrump, Nevada, according to the Nye County sheriff's office.

Community Announcement -- Long time resident, and radio show host, Art Bell died today at 72 years old in his home in Pahrump Nevada. https://t.co/eNOYD97i4b

-- Nye County Sheriff (@NyeSheriff) April 14, 2018

He started out as a disc jockey but drifted into political talk radio in the 1970s and saw a ratings boost when he veered into the realm of conspiracy theories and the paranormal. He espoused his belief in alien abductions, ghosts, crop circles report -- and even that the Hale-Bopp comet that neared the Earth in 1986 was being followed by a UFO.

Soon, his late-night show "Coast to Coast" gained national syndication and allowed him to broadcast from his own Pahrump-based radio station, KNYE 95.1 FM. At the height of his fame, as many as 500 stations carried his show in the U.S. and Canada.

Bell also made cameo appearances (typically as himself) in movies like 2007's "I Know Who Killed Me" and TV shows like "Dark Skies."

In a 1999 interview with Larry King on CNN, Bell displayed the even-keeled tone and that made his out-there theorizing seem so reasonable and inviting.

"People are always demanding proof," he told King at one point. "These are things that are not easily proved."

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 02:24:17 pm »
R.I.P. Art, you were my companion on many a long nite...

you will be missed.
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 03:33:19 pm »
Petrus, have you read any Romanticism?

There is something about your suffering that makes me ask. :)

Offline Titan

• Regular Members
  • Gold 5
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 06:41:18 pm »
Great passages petrus, thanks for that.  The first really hits home.

Offline Titan

• Regular Members
  • Gold 5
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 08:26:11 pm »
Here is a really beautiful eulogy written today by Whitley Strieber.  It brought a few tears to my eyes.

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 11:25:21 am »
Petrus, have you read any Romanticism?

There is something about your suffering that makes me ask. :)

Hey Pimander,
No, I don't think so.
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 05:24:13 pm »
As a follow up to this, Pimander; I haven't read anything which formally identified as Romanticism as such, but I did read The Lord of the Rings probably three times while I was at school.  It may be that influence which you are detecting from me; I don't know.
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 03:33:33 am »
John Lear
April 14 at 3:17pm ·

Yes, I'm sorry to see Art go. But by now he knows that everything I told him about the afterlife is true. And I am sure he is loving it.

I remember Art calling me in 1988 and asking me to come on his radio show at KDWN. He had a little office in the Plaza Hotel where he did his show out of.

I had never done any radio shows and was a little nervous. I had lots of material with me I kept referring to but Art kept badgering me, “Don't read...don't read.” I actually didn't know the material well enough and had to read a little.

Over the years Art got phenomenally popular and always took the time to publicly thank me for getting him started in the paranormal. I remember that in a Time magazine article he went so far as to say I was his 'mentor'.

Art was the master of interviews. He knew the subject, he knew how to draw the important information out of his guests. He was a real pleasure to work with.

One day in the middle 1990's, I forget exactly when, he called and asked if he could come over to my house. I said of course and we arranged a time. I welcomed him into my den and we had a little chit chat when he said, “John, I am going to be up front with you. I have been told by a ham radio friend and United Airlines pilot that you are heavy into dealing drugs, I need to know the truth.”

I couldn't believe my ears. It was a total shock. I was currently flying for an air cargo airline out of Ypsilanti, Kallita I think, and nothing could have been further from the truth. But a good friend of Arts? And a ham radio operator? And a United Airlines pilot? What in the holy hell was going on?

Of course I denied it and offered to let Art look anywhere, or search anything in my den or home. I answered all of his questions in detail but he would never tell me the name of his friend who had accused me of dealing drugs.

He stayed for an hour or so and then left. A few weeks later he called and asked me to do another show. He never mentioned the drug issue then or ever again. And I still have no idea who it was or what could have cause somebody to accuse me of dealing drugs.

Art and I did many shows after that until 911. Art could not bring himself to believe that 911 was an inside job. He must have said this a hundred times, “I refuse to believe that President Bush had anything to do with 911.” Of course nobody said anything specifically about President Bush. And President Bush didn't have to be involved for it to have been an inside job.

But that was the end of interviews between Art and me. I don't remember ever getting another call from Art although my memory is not that all that great.

But I will remember Art as not only a good friend but the master of the radio interview. And I will miss him.

~ John Lear

Offline Titan

• Regular Members
  • Gold 5
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 03:00:18 am »
Thanks for sharing that, Zorgon.  Is there someplace online that John posts things or did he just send that for you to post?

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 06:07:33 am »
Thanks for sharing that, Zorgon.  Is there someplace online that John posts things or did he just send that for you to post?
Titan, John is still very active on Facebook, and Zorgon has been copying all his material to post both here and on the Living Moon...

https://www.facebook.com/JohnOlsenLear
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]