collapse

Author Topic: SO...you have Critters eating your Fruits and Veggies?  (Read 49868 times)

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
Re: SO...you have Critters eating your Fruits and Veggies?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 08:06:01 pm »
Critter
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 08:08:39 pm »
I had a critter much like that - and he ate broccoli and carrots.
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 08:18:27 pm »
Farmers in Thuringia and Saxony-Anhalt are complaining that millions of field mice are devastating their food crops, including corn, barley and winter wheat. "They are eating everything," said Matthias Krieg, who manages an agricultural firm near the town of Zeitz in Saxony-Anhalt. "Not even the sugar beets are safe." Farmers estimate that they may have to write off an average of 10 percent of their crops as a result of mouse damage, and up to 50 percent in extreme cases.

So when they spray pesticides on our food, we all write threads on how this must stop

So when the Monsanto breed crops to resit the pest and increase the yield, we all write threads on how this must stop

So when the pests overrun our food supplies and eat and contaminate that, we all forget what we wrote and write about bring back the pest sprays :D

Sigh..... Hu-mons...

::)

sky otter

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 06:26:04 pm »

well it isn't bad enough to have the critters eating  the veggies..now the blasted bugs have voice mail....what???? :o

Science News... from universities, journals, and other research organizations

Voicemail Discovered in Nature: Insects Receive Soil Messages from the Past

ScienceDaily (June 12, 2012) — Insects can use plants as 'green phones' for communication with other bugs. A new study now shows that through those same plants insects are also able to leave 'voicemail' messages in the soil. Herbivorous insects store their voicemails via their effects on soil fungi. Researchers from the Netherlands Institute of Ecology (NIOO-KNAW) and Wageningen University (WUR) discovered this unique messaging service in the ragwort plant.

The journal Ecology Letters will soon publish these results.

A few years ago, NIOO scientists discovered that soil-dwelling and above-ground insects are able to communicate with each other using the plant as a telephone. Insects eating plant roots change the chemical composition of the leaves, causing the plant to release volatile signals into the air. This can convince above-ground insects to select another food plant in order to avoid competition and to escape from poisonous defense compounds in the plant. But the impact doesn't stop there.

The new research shows that insects leave a specific legacy that remains in the soil after they have fed on a plant. And future plants growing on that same spot can pick up these signals from the soil and pass them on to other insects. Those messages are really specific: the new plant can tell whether the former one was suffering from leaf-eating caterpillars or from root-eating insects. "The new plants are actually decoding a 'voicemail' message from the past to the next generation of plant-feeding insects, and their enemies," recaps NIOO researcher and first author Olga Kostenko. "The insects are re-living the past." This message from the past strongly influences the growth and possibly also the behavior of these bugs. Today's insect community is influenced by the messages from past seasons.

Kostenko and her colleagues grew ragwort plants in a greenhouse and exposed them to leaf-eating caterpillars or root-feeding beetle larvae. Then they grew new plants in the same soil and exposed them to insects again. "What we discovered is that the composition of fungi in the soil changed greatly and depended on whether the insect had been feeding on roots or leaves," explains Kostenko. "These changes in fungal community, in turn, affected the growth and chemistry of the next batch of plants and therefore the insects on those plants." Growth and palatability of new plants in the same soil thus mirrored the condition of the previous plant. In this way, a new plant can pass down the soil legacy or message from the past to caterpillars and their enemies.

"How long are these voicemail messages kept in the soil? That's what I also would like to know!" adds Kostenko. "We're working on this, and on the question of how widespread this phenomenon is in nature."

The research project was financed by a personal innovation grant of the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) to Martijn Bezemer from the NIOO.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120612115946.htm#.T9g3CHJFIQg.facebook

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 09:00:50 pm »
Science fiction movies are full of bugs conquering us.  Now we know that they're right.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

sky otter

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 10:39:25 am »

grrrrrrrr grumble ... curse....grumble

dang blasted ****** deer....

this is what my grapes look like.. we call it deer topiaries around here
you can tell exactly how tall the deer eating your stuff is

:(

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 11:28:25 am »
grrrrrrrr grumble ... curse....grumble

dang blasted ****** deer....

Pssttt I heard rumors that man has invented a cure.... I believe its called "Deer Fence"  :P

They can look  but they can't eat

Forget the wooden fence though, it doesn't work  :o

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2009/04/cant-make

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 12:36:28 am »
I was thinking about this thread earlier in the evening.  Hubby and I were sitting on the porch, just chillin.  We heard a noise in the trees.  Hubby thought it was squirrels.  It was raccoons.  I think we have a mama with adolescent offspring visiting every night.  They came down the tree, some headfirst, others backing down, and started chowing on cat food.  Once they got their bellies filled, they started trying to get close enough to sniff us, without getting close enough to sniff us.  Tomorrow, I'm going to get some store brand dog food to put out.  I'm hoping they'll go for some of that instead of the cat food.  We have a nursing mama cat coming around to eat, and we'd like to get her and her younguns to safety before it turns cold, so not having chow out there is not an option.  And if I was going to use a shotgun on anything it would be on my neighbor's truck.  But that's another story.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 05:29:32 am »
redbone hound.eats all ,even armadillos.also can be trained not to eat cats.starve your animals outside and their instinct will kick in.then they will naturally hunt .then feed as usual.dont completely cut them off.only for outside animals.its easier with females when they have babies.they do it on their own.
just remember,when their wiped out,it takes along time for them to come back.i kinda miss seeing coons,foxes,bobcats,possums,deer,hog,gator,beaver.
so now with drought,i got lotsa pet grasshoppers.some probly big enough to mount a spy camera on.garden burnt up this year anyway.orchard did good tho.my hound and two cats live of fourty lbs of dogfood a month plus scraps.twenty a month .plus you got security.cheap insurance against theft.
ive never been much for rules.
being me has its priviledges.

Dumbledore

Offline burntheships

• Administrator
  • Gold 277
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 12:09:31 am »
SO...you have Critters eating your Fruits and Veggies?

Yes, yes I do!

This time its the over grown RATS. Yes, DEER.

Four several nights in a row, all of the sudden we were chosen
for an onslaught of Deer raids. We think they smelled our
ripening tomatoes. For months they left us to our lovely
garden, all alone. Then, bam!

Yes...thats bam as in Bambi. One very hungry persistent
Deer, which was born here in this very spot years ago has
become such a persistent momma deer...and especially this
year as the drought is "severe"

Never underestimate a hungry deer.

I have been crawling around the corners of the place, trying to stop the untrusion. LOL, I smell like deer urine and deer ****. I have scratched arms and hands from fence wire, and a tick bit to boot, and more.

So, we are working on it, how to stop them and keep them
in check....and will report the findings back here,
Less of course our entire veggie gardern... that is now decamated.

>:( :o

So, are deer as wild as the claim? I say, yes they are.

The following is prestented as true....

http://www.snopes.com/critters/farce/ropedeer.asp

http://www.rodandriflerag.com/hunting/roping-a-deer-sounds-like-a-good-idea/

Yes, more to come To be continued

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 12:36:05 am by burntheships »
"This is the Documentary Channel"
- Zorgon

sky otter

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 06:07:33 am »

BTS

my only thought as the pesky critters munch on my veggies is
that they will be in my freezer  as venison soon..
that i am feeding this winter's meat supply with good clean..no pestisides -organic
delicious veggies
sigh

the early raids here were raccoon..and hubby only needed to shot one to convince the group to back off

right now i sure wish more of you guys were closer..i have more tomatoes than i know what to do with and the neighbors don't want to see me anymore..
i keep downsizing but next year..really truly only a dozen plants..not the 3 dozen of this year

these are in a second fenced area beside the greenhouse

the ones beside the patio are really all i need and next year  maybe only 4 plants

the butternut squash are coming along though
planting where the flower bed was and right beside the patio has really worked out

ok things that work for at least two nights to chase the deer
tying plastic bags on the plants so they make noise
pepper on the leaves
soap spray with pepper on the leaves

nothing works for more than two nights here..i hope maybe one can get you some tomatoes
 ::)

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 07:25:51 am »
Im moving near you Sky, the yield looks fabulous! Nothing grows here in West central Florida without spraying and constant watering, and then the yellow comes in and the plants decline anyways..sad!

All that grows well here is underground stuff, and the chemtrails have really decimated the home gardener's chances here.

Thanks that we have these fellows down south of me...worth the weekly drive in the season...
http://wordenfarm.com/

They have it down pat!

Cheers!
Le
Hermetically sealed, for your protection

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 07:41:51 am »
Mmmmm, maters and butternut squash.  I think hubby and I will just load up the cats an descend on my-brother-law and his family.  They're in West Chester.  That's closer than where I am now.  Hubby says he definitely wants a veggie garden next year.  I told we need to start the prep work now.
-
Shasta

Daughter of Sekhmet

sky otter

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 08:26:49 am »

Shasta

you can start a compost pile and that will aid in the nice dirt factor
everything but oils and meats

coffee grinds..shreeding paper, veggie peelings..

and if you dig up the area before snow..maybe you can get some good manure from some of those neighbors you have..most around here iwll gladly let you load the amount you want
go lightly on the chicken stuff..hot
and the cow stuff
horse stuff usually has a good amount of straw and hey..all good

then you can turn that under in the spring and you will have a head start

yeah growing your own food

for seeds i would ask around other gardeners and see what grows in your area

good luck..

i'm trying to avoid canning beets right now..sigh..i really don't enjoy canning
i just enjoy the food later so i do it

;D

Offline Somamech

• Order of the Mystic Star
  • Gold 337
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 11:32:26 am »
Not tried or Tested myself.  But if Sepp say's it works...

Should be worth a try :D

Sepp Holzer's Bone Sauce/Salve How To
Sepp Holzer explains how to make his bone sauce. And why.

It was originally for use when castrating animals. A bit of the salve was put on the "wound" and would help with healing while keeping flies away. It turns out this stuff keeps pretty much all animals and insects away. Which leads to the primary use today - to keep deer and voles off of freshly planted fruit trees.

The cast iron pots in this video are considered a bit on the small side, but since Sepp ends up saying "perfection" then they must be acceptable.

The first pot is buried in moist soil leaving an inch or two above ground. The second, upper, pot if filled with bones and a screen goes between the two pots. Clay seals the pots. A small fire is burned on top of the pots for about two hours. Then the wood is pulled away and the pots are covered with dirt. Let the pots cool overnight. Carefully clean all of the dirt off so that no dirt ends up in the bone sauce / salve.

Before putting it on trees, you can thin it out with any edible oil. Sepp mentions olive oil.

Guest appearances by Dr. Immo Fiebrig (translating), Bill Schnieders, Afia Menke, ND, the brothers Julian and Nick, and Jessi Peterson.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4xVKVc4NYQ&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]