collapse

Author Topic: around front  (Read 6716 times)

sky otter

around front
« on: June 03, 2012, 11:00:57 am »

well this part of the house is from 1940 and the flowers were overflowing
but now it is a tomato patch on the east side of the building
and since out weather mostly comes from the west..we can have tomatoes almost till christmas

before...of course the flowers have been moved and the ground rototilled..carefully cause there is a water line and gas line in there
the cement slabs are to get to the spigot

from ugly foundation to food..hahahahahah

then the uprights and a couple pieces of plastic lattice and a spot for tomatoes
i do have lima beans in front of them..but they aren't up yet

the uprights were from a gazebo someone was tossing..i liked the way
they looked

tomatoes (from seed) in and grass waiting to be used as mulch
we did invest in a lawn rake last year..phew saves me old muscles ;D

and had to be tied up right off the bat..we were late getting them outta the pots this year
blaming it on wierd weather and not old age..hahahahahah

hey don't be afriad you don't have the space....even containers are better
than no fresh veggies

8)

deuem

Re: around front
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 01:52:02 am »
I got hungry reading this.

Did you see the guy who put tomatoes, upside down in buckets and then hung the buckets in front of his house. He cut a small hole in the bottom, started them right side up and then flipped them.  I never saw the final results but I guess you could hang them anywhere. No ground needed. Easy to water. Easy to pick. Maybe out of reach for Racoons. hum!

Deuem, off to ask the wife for a tomato sandwich. Hunny?

Do you know how to peal a tomato. If not I will write how.

sky otter

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 06:04:01 am »
 ;D

yeah have seen the upsidedown tomatoes..they don't get real big but a nice size
we like the indeterminates and tying them up ...rathar than just letting them on the ground..
and
another yes to peeling..
but tell your method anyhow..
i'm always open to new info
 ;D

deuem

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 06:29:53 am »
Well we used 2 ways.

Poach the tomatoes until the skin starte to peal, pull from water and peal by hand.

Real, real sharp knife. Slice the tomatoe like an Orange and lay the slice peal down on the table, start at one end and filet it like a fish skin. Rock the knife. It will cut he skin off like a fish. Sharp is the key here.

Deuem the retired cook but still eating....Believe it or not we had tomatoes for supper. A tomato egg dish, yum yum. served on the side like peas. Nice color.Yellow and red. Uses sliced and pealed tomatoes. Just by chance....My wife makes it. I put it over all that white sticky rice we have. Consistancy like a sloppy joe mix.

Deuem

sky otter

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 06:57:41 am »
wel mister retired cook..you better get to the food thread then..lol

yep we do it the same way..
i use the hot water and hubby is the knife guy

but for making tomato juice you need a victorio strainer
and then you don't have to peel..luv when tools work like that
 ;D

deuem

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 07:10:57 am »
For the juice, I just toss them out in the road and wait for the trucks to run them over and then go out and sweep it up. Maybe strain it.  I never said I was a good cook. lol Deuem

sky otter

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 09:56:43 am »

out in the road and let the truck run ove em , huh...
lol

that's how my dad used to hull walnuts
nice to know it is a useful method  ;)

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 08:05:03 am »
;D

yeah have seen the upsidedown tomatoes..they don't get real big but a nice size
we like the indeterminates and tying them up ...rathar than just letting them on the ground..
and
another yes to peeling..
but tell your method anyhow..
i'm always open to new info
 ;D

Hey y'all! Nuts go good in everything! especially walnuts. We get beautiful pecans from Georgia every season, and I cant count the ways Ive used them, or the number of different pestos Ive enjoyed making with them!

Indeed, peeled 'maters taste better!
I poach them as D says, and then push them through a wire sieve with a walnut wood spoon to extract the good stuff without the seeds and pulpy parts.

I do this for my legendary tomato soup, in which I use yellow grape tomatoes grown in a container garden.
Of course my favorite tomato based food is called Butter Chicken and is an Indian recipe Im sure many are familiar with. That one takes 4 pounds of 'maters, and a whole day of cooking! Not to mention the two or three bottles of chardonnay to go with it!;D

Peeling can be a bitch for these little guys, but they are so plentiful and hardy, it's all I grow!

Dueum, your a chef!
I am quite fond of cooking and cheffing and have spent decades honing my craft!

I am wondering what amazing new methods youve learned since being in China, as Chinese and Thal food are two of my favorites!

So many unique food styles, so little time!
Hermetically sealed, for your protection

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 08:22:43 am »
Oh, You had to mention Thai.  I have been craving Thai food for SOOOOO long!  I adore a good pad thai, and any curry - the hotter the better!  (I once went to a Thai restaurant and ordered a dish.  The waitress said, "No, no.  That dish, VERY hot."  I said, "I know.  That's why I ordered it."  She objected, and I insisted several times around, and finally She said, "Oh-kaaaay," in a very dubious tone.  When She brought the dish She set it in front of Me and went across the room to watch.  I took a bite...and then reached over to the hot chili spices and dumped a bunch on.  Only time I have ever seen anyOne's jaw literally drop!  LOL!)
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 08:46:59 am »
Oh, You had to mention Thai.  I have been craving Thai food for SOOOOO long!  I adore a good pad thai, and any curry - the hotter the better!  (I once went to a Thai restaurant and ordered a dish.  The waitress said, "No, no.  That dish, VERY hot."  I said, "I know.  That's why I ordered it."  She objected, and I insisted several times around, and finally She said, "Oh-kaaaay," in a very dubious tone.  When She brought the dish She set it in front of Me and went across the room to watch.  I took a bite...and then reached over to the hot chili spices and dumped a bunch on.  Only time I have ever seen anyOne's jaw literally drop!  LOL!)
You showed her, Amy!

Heat cant be beat!
 ;D
I love the balance of chilis and sweetness in Thai, and I found a perfect shakeable seasoning that is cheap, cheap, cheap!

Ask the thai grocer for Thai curry spice powder, and he will steer you right. Then sprinkle a bit on a free range chicken breasts, and sear it in coconut oil. You will then remove the chicken from the pan right as it's done, and splash some heavy cream into the drippings and add a bit of wondra to thicken the pan sauce.

It is to die for! And spicyness can be bumped up by roasting some chilis in the toaster oven, and peeling them and adding them into the pan sauce at the end.

I make this twice maybe three times a week, and it never gets old!

So easy, so good!

happy heat!
Littleenki

Offline Linda Brown

• Gold 52
    • The Cosmic Token
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 09:14:13 am »
Alot of people here got really excited about those upside down tomatoes and of course they had them at WalMart ( Sorry Littleenki but that place is what we desert rats call a " trip t' town Maude")

Problem here is that hanging like that they just require too much water..... you have to remember that to make toast here all you have to do is leave the bread out for a few minutes!!!! And if that doesn't do it.... the winds bounced the poor things around so much if they had tomatoes they all got whiplash and fell off!

Do you know how to peal a tomato. If not I will write how  Is that where you dip them in boiling water for a few seconds? Or did I just dream that? I don't know where I got that information so maybe thats not it!

Huh.... maybe thats the solution for taking alot of skins off things huh. Dip them in something really hot.

Now that I have read the whole thread is that what you call "poaching" a tomato then????  You guys are so cool.

The only thing I learned how to cook when I was single was a pretty good pot roast. With the kind of guys that I dated at the time..... meat and potatoes always went over well..... if the relationship got to where I had to cook something different.... I changed relationships..... worked for awhile until I met George.

He is still here.... he hasn't withered away... I do most of the cooking so I must be doing something right. But I will NEVER qualify for an expert in this stuff. It sure is fun to read. Thats why the most published type of book( besides the Bible )in this country.... is the category of cook books.

I am sure I am not a sophisticated " taster"
I don't think I even know what curry tastes like....

Linda

sky otter

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 09:59:21 am »

well you foodies would luv kimchee then...hot marinaded cabbage....

i have a recipe we have tried and hubby ok'd it...
me..not adventurous in the food department..lol

if you want the recipe  i'll post in in the food thread

LE
went i married hubby he was growing mushrooms  for a living with his brother
i learnt from the ground up and did all the jobs and then when labor
was hard to find we closed up and went to work for a spawn company
in research...so i could probably take you thur what ever part you were interested in
but we only grew what you would find in a grocery store..from regular white and brown
to some exotics...none of the mind bending ones
but there again..another thread..not sure if that would be food or gardening though.. ;D

deuem

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 10:21:54 am »
I am not a chef, I just play one on TV. Or is that watch one on TV, I get mixed up!

Hey when your in another country and you want your own food, you learn the hard way. I am an Engineer, case you forgot. Ah, that has gotten me to design so many different things I can't remember them all. But I have done several kitchens, small to large. Feeding a 100 to 5,000. So you get around a lot of places. Even designed a couple of custom stoves. The poached tomatoes I learned from some show. Yes it works well if your making anything that hates the skin. Toss them in boiling water, covered with water and wait till they self peal, not all the way or you will have a mess. Just split skin all over. Yank them out and peal by hand. Becareful they are hot. Then strain like LE said or mash for sauce.

Tomatoes are like the magic potatoes, you can use them for everything. Most Chinese people don't like them because they say they are bitter.  OK, More for me!

Deuem

Offline Linda Brown

• Gold 52
    • The Cosmic Token
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 10:30:25 am »
I have heard old timers say that tomatoes were at one time poisonous ( maybe because they are the same family as Nightshade)..... but were they EVER poisonous or is that just a fable?

I know some folks can not tolerate them. My Dad was
one of those folks.... cooked.... ok..... never raw. Strange.   Linda

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 11:32:17 am »
Oh, Im having kim-chee withdrawals now, Sky!
No funny mushrooms for me, just sh&taakes and creminis mostly, with some whites mixed in if they look inviting.

As far as tomatoes, cherry and grape are my favorite, as I can grab a handful while working in the yard. They are good anyway you make them!

Dueum, if you watch cooking shows, you will quickly become a chef, as thats the equivalent of a culinary lesson every half hour for free!
Emeril inspired me twenty years ago, and as Ive worked in a few kitchens, most of my efforts in the food industry has been designing and creating menus and food service plans. In a rest. ordering and prep are 80 % of the job, and for most cheffing is quite boring, as sous chefs and line cooks do most of the work anyways.

I love to get plants at WalMart, Linda, and have found some nice plants and veg there in the past, I just try to buy things there that arent a cheap replacement for the quality versions thereof. I know WalMart is an American store, so I dont hate them, just the cheap crap they sell in replacement of the quality ones.

Like you said, save your money for a few months, and buy the good version of everything, itll last ten times longer, and work better to boot!

Just look at the Hyundai cars, they are great now, as noone would buy them again when they first came out, until they got the quality up, and LG and many others have caught on, too.

Cheers, and have a tomato sandwich, on me!
Littleenki

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: Music You Love by RUSSO
[Today at 02:12:02 am]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter