collapse

Author Topic: around front  (Read 6715 times)

sky otter

Re: around front
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 11:34:32 am »

i guess somewhere along the line we have adapted to different toxins and actually enjoy eating a few..
tomatoes are the bane of most sewage plants cause the buggers will grow like weeds every place they get a chance...which is pretty funny when you try to grow them and they die..always cracks me up
 ;D

if you're up to reading some info below on the whole thing

8)

SolanaceaeFrom Wikipedia, 

Solanaceae is a family of flowering plants that includes a number of important agricultural crops. Many species are toxic plants. The name of the family comes from the Latin Solanum "the nightshade plant", but the further etymology of that word is unclear. Most likely, the name comes from the perceived resemblance that some of the flowers bear to the sun and its rays, and in fact a species of Solanum (Solanum nigrum) is known as the "sunberry". Alternatively, the name has been suggested to originate from the Latin verb solari, meaning "to soothe". This presumably refers to soothing pharmacological properties of some of the psychoactive species of the family.

The family is also informally known as the nightshade or potato family. The family includes Datura, Mandragora (mandrake), Atropa belladonna (deadly nightshade), Lycium barbarum (wolfberry), Physalis philadelphica (tomatillo) , Physalis peruviana (Cape gooseberry flower), Capsicum (chili pepper, bell pepper), Solanum (potato, tomato, eggplant), Nicotiana (tobacco), and Petunia. With the exception of tobacco (Nicotianoideae) and petunia (Petunioideae), most of the economically important genera are contained in the subfamily Solanoideae.

Many members of the Solanaceae family are used by humans, and are important sources of food, spice and medicine. However, Solanaceae species are often rich in alkaloids whose toxicity to humans and animals ranges from mildly irritating to fatal in small quantities

AlkaloidsSolanaceae is known for having a diverse range of alkaloids. As far as humans are concerned, these alkaloids can be desirable, toxic, or both.

One of the most important groups of these compounds is called the tropane alkaloids. The term "tropane" comes from a genus in which they are found, Atropa (the belladonna genus). Atropa is named after the Greek Fate, Atropos, who cut the thread of life. This nomenclature reflects its toxicity and lethality.

Tropane alkaloids are also found in the Datura, Mandragora, and Brugmansia genera, as well as many others in the Solanaceae family.[4] Chemically, the molecules of these compounds have a characteristic bicyclic structure and include atropine, scopolamine, and hyoscyamine. Pharmacologically, they are the most powerful known anticholinergics in existence, meaning they inhibit the neurological signals transmitted by the endogenous neurotransmitter, acetylcholine. Symptoms of overdose may include dry mouth, dilated pupils, ataxia, urinary retention, hallucinations, convulsions, coma, and death.

Despite the extreme toxicity of the tropanes, they are useful drugs when administered in extremely small dosages. They can reverse cholinergic poisoning, which can be caused by overexposure to pesticides and chemical warfare agents such as sarin and VX. More commonly, they can halt many types of allergic reactions. Atropine, a commonly used ophthalmological agent, dilates the pupils and thus facilitates examination of the interior of the eye. Scopolamine is used as an antiemetic against motion sickness or for people receiving chemotherapy. Atropine has a stimulant effect on the central nervous system and heart, whereas scopolamine has a sedative effect.

An infamous alkaloid derived from Solanaceae is nicotine. Like the tropanes, its pharmacology acts on cholinergic neurons, but with the opposite effect (it is an agonist as opposed to an antagonist). It has a higher specificity for nicotinic acetylcholine receptors than other ACh proteins. Nicotine occurs naturally in the Nicotiana or tobacco genus.

Another class of toxic substances found in this family are the glycoalkaloids, for example solanine which has occasionally been responsible for poisonings in people who ate berries from species such as Solanum nigrum or Solanum dulcamara, or green potatoes.[5][6]

The chemical in chili peppers responsible for the burning sensation is capsaicin. Capsaicin affects only mammals, not birds. Pepper seeds can always survive the digestive tract of birds; their fruit becomes brightly colored once its seeds are mature enough to germinate, thereby attracting the attention of birds who then distribute the seeds. Capsaicin extract is used to make pepper spray, a useful deterrent against aggressive mammals.

sky otter

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 11:37:25 am »

LE

try some shitake with asparagus..ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so good

cut each into usable size and toss into a skillet with a little butter...
pepper and salt and cook to your desired crunch-ness

it's my favorite recipe for when the asparagus comes up

;D

Offline undo11

• Creator of game worlds
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 226
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 11:41:06 am »
sky otter

lol word censor removed the " s h i t" from  "s h i t ake"

lol  poopake. lol
JOIN THE GAME!
Are you a programmer or 3d modeler?  We need you here: http://www.thelivingmoon.com/forum1/index.php?topic=530.0

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 02:19:37 pm »

LE

try some poopake with asparagus..ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so good

cut each into usable size and toss into a skillet with a little butter...
pepper and salt and cook to your desired crunch-ness

it's my favorite recipe for when the asparagus comes up

;D
Sounds fantastic, Sky as i have a big package of asparagus on the counter today!
Ill try thatrecipe when I get some poopake mushrooms, and for tonight, it's steamed with a light cream sauce, with dill and german thyme butter.

That was a real informative post, and quite funny as I love tomatoes and peppers, and the best plants Ive had were from "popups" where the birds had pooped!

You should see the red peppers I grow, they are enormous and I never even planted them, the birds ate my other peppers and deposited them right where they ate and pooped!LOL!

As Hobbit would say...look to the wise blue jay!

Cheers!
Littleenki
Hermetically sealed, for your protection

Offline Linda Brown

• Gold 52
    • The Cosmic Token
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 03:19:34 pm »
I never knew this

Capsaicin affects only mammals, not birds. Pepper seeds can always survive the digestive tract of birds; their fruit becomes brightly colored once its seeds are mature enough to germinate, thereby attracting the attention of birds who then distribute the seeds

A toast to the Grand designer.   Linda

sky otter

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 03:49:17 pm »
 ;D
sky otter

lol word censor removed the " s h i t" from  "s h i t ake"

lol  poopake. lol

Undo i saw that in Le's post and just thought he was trying to be cute... ;D
very funny

it means tree mushroom..just in case anyone wondered about it..

word censor..geeeeeeeeeesh
 ::)

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 08:45:33 pm »
You showed her, Amy!

Heat cant be beat!
 ;D
I love the balance of chilis and sweetness in Thai, and I found a perfect shakeable seasoning that is cheap, cheap, cheap!

Ask the thai grocer for Thai curry spice powder, and he will steer you right. Then sprinkle a bit on a free range chicken breasts, and sear it in coconut oil. You will then remove the chicken from the pan right as it's done, and splash some heavy cream into the drippings and add a bit of wondra to thicken the pan sauce.

It is to die for! And spicyness can be bumped up by roasting some chilis in the toaster oven, and peeling them and adding them into the pan sauce at the end.

I make this twice maybe three times a week, and it never gets old!

So easy, so good!

happy heat!
Littleenki

Well Dave...  As They stripped My food stamps...  It will likely be a while before I can afford such things (not that I could even with food stamps!).  Food will be a wee bit on the short supply for a few weeks - but one of My friends here is giving Me some organic stuff to eat.  Not a lot, but it's better than nothing.

Hope to have You cooking for Me at least once in My lifetime. [smile] (I am a gourmand, NOT a gourmet.)
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 09:10:04 pm »
The first meal I make for you, Amy, wont be the last!
I feel so bad posting about food and treats within my diet, and hope someday you will be having everything you want and need foodwise, and otherwise.

When we meet, lets just say, there will be a shortage of food at the local organic market, as we will buy everything they have, and have a feast to rival King Arthurs roundtable!

Your integrity is clear and apparent, and soon you will see the goodness the world has to offer a warm heart such as yourself, and when that happens, the prize will be abundant!

All is occuring for a profound reason, and if you stick to your guns, the battle will be quickly over, and you will win the war!

Hugs!
Littleenki
Hermetically sealed, for your protection

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 12:13:12 am »
The first meal I make for you, Amy, wont be the last!
I feel so bad posting about food and treats within my diet, and hope someday you will be having everything you want and need foodwise, and otherwise.

When we meet, lets just say, there will be a shortage of food at the local organic market, as we will buy everything they have, and have a feast to rival King Arthurs roundtable!

Your integrity is clear and apparent, and soon you will see the goodness the world has to offer a warm heart such as yourself, and when that happens, the prize will be abundant!

All is occuring for a profound reason, and if you stick to your guns, the battle will be quickly over, and you will win the war!

Hugs!
Littleenki

Waiting is, Dave.  Waiting is.  It WILL come to pass.  [smile]
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]