collapse

Author Topic: Has Modern Science Become Dysfunctional?  (Read 4102 times)

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
Has Modern Science Become Dysfunctional?
« on: July 31, 2012, 05:30:46 am »
Has Modern Science Become Dysfunctional?

In the past decade the number of retraction notices for scientific journals has increased more than 10-fold while the number of journals articles published has only increased by 44%.  While retractions still represent a very small percentage of the total, the increase is still disturbing because it undermines society’s confidence in scientific results and on public policy decisions that are based on those results, says Casadevall.  Some of the retractions are due to simple error but many are a result of misconduct including falsification of data and plagiarism.

More concerning, say the editors, is that this trend may be a symptom of a growing dysfunction in the biomedical sciences, one that needs to be addressed soon.   At the heart of the problem is an economic incentive system fueling a hypercompetitive environment that is fostering poor scientific practices, including frank misconduct.

This is an article which apparently provides some tangible support, for my own long-held suspicion that institutional or corporate funded scientific research is both corrupt, and inherently untrustworthy.  When in the past, I've read about such scientists as Tesla, Einstein to a degree, and Antoine Bechamp, the one common element I've noticed with all of them, is that they were largely reclusive, and worked alone.  The physicist Max Planck had this to say, on that topic:-

New scientific ideas never spring from a communal body, however organized, but rather from the head of an individually inspired researcher who struggles with his problems in lonely thought and unites all his thought on one single point which is his whole world for the moment.

It is my awareness of this, that has been the primary cause of my railing against the atheists I encountered on ATS in particular, who confined their discussions of 9/11, to talking about largely hypothetical studies (such as concrete chip analysis) performed after the fact by scientists in academia, while at the same time completely discounting and refusing to consider testimony from eyewitnesses in New York at the time, purely because said individuals were not credentialed scientists.

My own self-taught background in computer programming, (and to a lesser extent, psychology) has taught me to have absolutely zero confidence, and actually visceral contempt for academia; I have seen new computer science graduates aggressively advocate disastrously broken ideas, which were the diametric opposite of that which I have directly observed as functional in the real world.

The more I read and learn, the more I become convinced, that valuable ideas virtually never come from the mainstream; the in-crowd, the accepted clique.  Instead, I have for my entire life found that the only way to educate myself with ideas that really work, has been to go to the fringes, and even well beyond; to read the material of those which the orthodox circle jerk have dismissed as insane.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
Re: Has Modern Science Become Dysfunctional?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 09:34:47 pm »
I'm wondering why I didn't get any takers, with this thread.  Is this topic a little too taboo for you, guys? ;)

Anyway, the reason why I'm bumping it is because I just read someone on YouTube. (In the comments attached to this)

[youtube]RcN_pfONAF8[/youtube]

He was saying that he'd decided not to eat avocados at all any more, because he'd read one study which said they were dangerous.  Apparently that, alone, was enough to convince him.

Why do people reflexively trust institutional science so much?  I'm also wondering whether I'm even going to get an answer to this question, here.  I get the feeling that with this thread, I'm really bringing up a taboo; a proverbial sacred cow.  This is a can of worms that I've seen other people not want to touch.

Why can't people think for themselves?
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 09:51:10 pm »
He was saying that he'd decided not to eat avocados at all any more, because he'd read one study which said they were dangerous.  Apparently that, alone, was enough to convince him.

Works for me... that green goop is not fit for human consumption 

I mean seen those Subway commercials? they want to put that Alien green GOOP on everything... but look what it does to you   :o

[youtube]CNQQeeeToAQ[/youtube]

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 09:58:03 pm »
This is an article which apparently provides some tangible support, for my own long-held suspicion that institutional or corporate funded scientific research is both corrupt, and inherently untrustworthy.

A good case in point is the Ozone Layer scam....  they got MILLIONS to study this 'hole' in the Ozone layer as if it was some big news...

But any high school grad that took science can tell you its BS. That hole has always and will always be there by the nature of what the ozone layer really is and how its created

Then one year other scientists said "Hey wait a minute...." and they all quietly slipped out the door

Sad thing is most people still think there is a problem with the Ozone layer :P

Other scientists wanted to drill a hole in the magma bubble at Yellowstone to release pressure... others had the hair brained idea to use nukes to move the San Andreas fault along, errr 'smoothly'

Carl Sagan wanted to Nuke the Moon to check for organic material... "Hey look Carl, there WAS life there!!!... eeerrrr.... oops  :-[ "

And NASA considers it 'science to smash spacecraft into celestial objects to see what the can stir up...

Yup real science has gone the way of the Dodo bird

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 10:34:50 pm »
Yup real science has gone the way of the Dodo bird

Indeed, Zorgon, any semblance of common sense is quashed and tucked away from the public eye, and a slathering of douchebaggery takes its place in the form of endless peer reviews and verification audits.

Just because someone has a great idea, doesnt mean its right, but if the idea is ridiculed in the science community it never stands a chance.

Poor Johnny found the secret to gravity, but the Einsteinian fools wont let him in the clubhouse.

Little Billy discovered a new way to generate electricity using mayonaisse and a metal spoon, but Progress energy just bought out Miracle whip and Hellmans, and are tearing down the plants where its made...ARGH!

Fred had an idea for how to grow bigger plants without GMO, but Monsanto offed him in a hotel room in Reno.

Etc etc.

Le
Hermetically sealed, for your protection

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 12:34:00 am »
Zorgon and Enki have both been given gold, for acknowledging my pain. ;)
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline Freelancer

• Regular Members
  • Gold 6
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 02:41:55 am »
Science as we know it today, is by and large, the domain of 'corporations' which in turn sits under the umbrella of Government sponsorship and control.  Our recent history shows that it was once the sole domain of Religious control, where science for the 'people' was considered heretical knowledge, or forbidden knowledge and as such, a thousand years of ignorance ensured with little or no progress in Science being made until the arrival of the Renaissance era (14th–17th centuries AD).

Modern Science as we are all no doubt aware, is a mixture of old doctrines and new ideas that are carefully blended and cultivated in such a way that it hides more than it discloses.  For most people, they are 'conditioned' now to accept at face value and without question, anything that is channeled to them via their main government sponsored institutions such as Education and Media services respectively.  What is truly frightening is how effective this control of information really is.  The events of 9/11 and it's official story (which was accepted at face-value by the majority of people), contradicts in many instances, our understanding of Science as we know it regardless of our so called qualifications.   Did we all notice that after 9/11 when state qualified researchers with years of experience in such diverse areas as Physics, Engineering and Chemistry who questioned the official story were suddenly ridiculed and denounced soon after they began to publish their findings?. Suddenly major aspects of accepted 'Science' was ignored in preference to cover story if it didn't [it]fit-in[/i]...     

We can go further with many such examples of where Science is conveniently and quietly ignored in favor of the 'official' story, such as those pesky Out Of Place objects that keeps popping up in the most unlikely of places which further divides science into fringe areas of archeology, paleontology etc  that are considered taboo for anyone wishing to pursue a career in these areas.   While all this does stifle and choke independent research for individuals, their discoveries (particularly if it's been deemed classified or threatens their economic/political control ) will be buried in government research programs or simply, debunked to discourage anyone else from pursuing their research.

Is science working for the better of mankind or to make his reliance on it his master?

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 10:30:03 am »
The whole "peer review" process is largely a farce.  In order to be peer reviewed, first One's ideas must conform to the "established" paradigm.  Anything that does not conform plays hell in getting anywhere.  And that is a BIG issue in My eyes.  It's gatekeeping at its best (or worst...)
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 01:43:23 pm »
Thanks Petrus, I feel that pain every time I have a great idea, but no support or finances to implement it...the gubmint should be pouring money into new science and inventors groups, instead of combusting and blowing thing up!

Someday well all look back on this and sigh, as we admire our own personal free energy systems on our houses for what new thinking they were spawned from...Heaven in a laboratory...FUNDING and Open minded science!
Cheers!
Hermetically sealed, for your protection

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
Official John Lear Tin Foil Hat $19.99

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]