collapse

Author Topic: For star- gazers!  (Read 2873 times)

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
For star- gazers!
« on: June 03, 2013, 01:07:43 am »
This one is a shout- out and big thank you from STO to any and all light workers in da house!   ;D

Wavin atcha... enjoy!   8)

For star- gazers

[youtube]U6gO8sVk84g[/youtube]

See the HD version here -

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:42:10 pm by A51Watcher »

Offline Anthra

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 30
Re: For star- gazers!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 07:43:23 am »
Thank you.    That was rather cool!

sky otter

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 05:24:58 pm »

ahhhhhhh  thank you  ;D thank you

we used to be able to lay out on the lounge chairs and watch that kind of sky view moving..
like bubbles in the ocean when you jump in...
sigh
but we rarely see much of anything lately...always clouds or left over chem trails

so truly

thanks

Edward

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 05:50:30 pm »
Very Nice. Thank you.

:D

Edward

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 08:25:55 pm »

Thanks to all who left a note, glad you enjoyed.  8)

Bubbles in the water was a great metaphor! ;)

Offline stealthyaroura

• searcher of truth
  • The Roundtable
  • Gold 63
  • open minded student of truth.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 07:14:32 pm »
outstanding,inspiring,no nasty light pollution :) what city folk may never see.
so profesional. That must be some kit ya got there pal. 8)
one of the best time lapse of the heavens i've seen. and that lake shot,beautiful.
Even some aurora borealis 8) that made it for me.
Nikola Tesla humanitarian / Genius.
never forget this great man who gave so much
& asked for nothing but to let electricity be free for all.

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 07:55:09 pm »

The Perseid meteor shower starts tomorrow night!

Enjoy those sky parties!  8)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 08:03:02 pm »
For those interested  The season is just getting started

space otter

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 08:34:55 pm »

oh boy   :D  oh boy    :D  .. can't wait.. hopefully with the new moon we might be able to watch again..
go away clouds..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/08/11/a-phenomenal-perseids-meteor-shower-peaks-this-week-heres-how-to-watch/
By Blaine Friedlander August 11 at 10:55 AM

A phenomenal Perseid meteor shower peaks this week — here’s how to watch

Barring cloudy skies, this week’s Perseid meteor shower may be a classic, excellent show.

The shooting star spectacle peaks on the night of Wednesday into Thursday morning, with as many as 90 to 100 shooting stars an hour, according to the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada and the Royal Astronomical Society in the U.K. In the eastern U.S., the most prolific cosmic bombardment will likely be around 4 a.m. Eastern time.

This year’s peak could be phenomenal because the Perseids won’t compete with moon light, since the waning crescent moon sets at 6:44 p.m. on Wednesday. This will create a nice dark, moon-free heaven for meteor observers.

How can you watch? “Look towards the familiar constellations Cassiopeia and Perseus in the northeast,” according to NASA. “They rise soon after sunset, but you’ll want to wait til they are higher in the sky to see the most meteors.”

It helps to be in a dark location, away from the brightest city lights, but here is no need to set up a telescope or binoculars. Arm yourself with a beverage, walk outside and stare at the sky. Beach and rural settings might be a perfect fit for finding shooting stars.

The Perseid meteors will appear to radiate from the Perseus constellation in the northeast sky. (Sky & Telescope Magazine)

If you’re keen to capture photos, the American Meteor Society has published a guide to get you started with your DSLR.

Comets – so-called dirty snowballs running around our solar system – leave bits of dirt particles behind. Our little blue planet runs through many comet debris trails that are lingering out there in space throughout the year. When Earth encounters these trails, the flecks of dirt, which are about the size of Grape Nuts cereal, says Sky & Telescope magazine, strike our atmosphere and burn up to create mesmerizing streaks across the heavens.

For the District, the Perseids hold a special meaning. Astronomer Horace P. Tuttle discovered Comet Swift-Tuttle – the comet that causes the Perseid meteors – on July 19, 1862, from the Harvard College Observatory in Cambridge, Mass. During the Civil War, he joined the U.S. Army and later became an astronomer at the U.S. Naval Observatory in Washington. He died in 1923 and is buried in an unmarked grave at Oakwood Cemetery, near Seven Corners in Falls Church, Va.

If you want to watch the meteor shower from the comfort of your living room, Slooh astronomers Bob Berman and for a live dark-sky broadcast on Wednesday at 8 p.m. You might also check out #meteorshower on Twitter.

nice little vid at link

Forecasters say the Perseid meteor shower could be an especially good show this year because the Moon is nearly new when the shower peaks on Aug. 12-13. (NASA)

NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., will host a four-hour live Ustream broadcast about the Perseid meteor shower, on Wednesday starting at 10 p.m. Bill Cooke, Danielle Moser and Rhiannon Blaauw, all of NASA’s Micrometeoroid Office, will provide Perseid commentary and will answer questions online, using Marshall social media accounts.

To join NASA’s online conversation, tweet questions to @NASA_Marshall using the hashtag #askNASA, or post questions at broadcast time to the Marshall Facebook.

Cloud cover forecasts suggest the viewing will be good over much of the Eastern and Western U.S., with the potential for cloudiness from the central Rockies to the Upper Midwest.

and my favorite sky link

http://www.shadowandsubstance.com/

Offline Gigas

• Gold 90
  • This can't be real
    • An obscure place from my mind
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 09:21:45 pm »
You'd think with 60 to 100 meteors incoming every hour that those satellites up there should be pulverized by now. The ISS should have holes all over it. The Pluto space craft should have been smashed to smithereens going thru the asteroid belt or some high velocity meteor bashing it's computer to bits.

Come to think about it, space is a dirty place with little things flying all about so anything this planet sends out there should be mangled by something from or other.

Why is this not true with all out bound space craft surviving the cold deep space filled with galactic space trash. I think it's all bs.

But that's just me, what about you.  :o
Everyone loves me, till they're sick of me

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 01:39:09 am »
There are definitely some inconsistencies with the data :P

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 06:14:32 am »
Apparently, they rotate the solar panels of the satellites to avoid problems during "meteor showers", and those parts are the most likely to be hit and affected by the micro meteors that create the "shower".

There was a case in 1993 that they couldn't rotate the solar panel (because of a malfunction created by another micro-meteor hit) and an unexpected thing happened.

You might imagine the meteor would put a hole in the solar panel and leave the rest of the satellite undamaged, and it is, indeed, true the meteor probably left a crater of some sort on the array surface. But, another effect, one engineers had not previously considered, caused the spacecraft's demise.

Spacecraft solar arrays generate electricity when exposed to sunlight, and so they have an electrical charge. The meteoroid vaporized when it struck the array, generating a small cloud of electrically charged gas. This plasma acted like a wire, allowing electrical charge on the array to move into the spacecraft's attitude control electronics.

The original source is already 404ed, but, once more, our friends of the Internet Archive have a copy. :)

Offline Gigas

• Gold 90
  • This can't be real
    • An obscure place from my mind
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 10:24:09 am »
My shack looks true north and last night at 3:35 am I saw a big one come down over in the north west quadrant of the sky. It was big, bright and bluish green with a long tail. I was excited and wondered where it landed and if it smashed someones digs.

I also saw the little ones come flashing in a high rates of speed. It bothers me that all that junk up above earth isn't bashed about by these meteors, asteroids and alien warships looking to calibrate their weaponry.

I also at 9:30 pm saw the ISS go over from west to east. Very bright. How does it miss all those projectiles incoming, is beyond me. Bt than, I don't believe any of it.
Everyone loves me, till they're sick of me

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: Music You Love by RUSSO
[Today at 02:12:02 am]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]