collapse

Author Topic: Brain to Brain Interface  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
Brain to Brain Interface
« on: August 28, 2013, 07:24:21 pm »
Scientists achieve human 'mind meld'

Two human brains have been connected via the internet in an experiment which researchers compared to a Vulcan "mind meld" from the science fiction series Star Trek.

From his laboratory at the University of Washington, Prof Rajesh Rao claims he was able to control the hand movements of a colleague on the other side of campus using no more than the power of thought.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10271293/Scientists-achieve-human-mind-meld.html

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
Re: Brain to Brain Interface
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:30:35 pm »
Team demonstrates direct brain-to-brain communication in human subjects

In a first-of-its-kind study, an international team of neuroscientists and robotics engineers have demonstrated the viability of direct brain-to-brain communication in humans. Recently published in PLOS ONE the highly novel findings describe the successful transmission of information via the internet between the intact scalps of two human subjects – located 5,000 miles apart.

"We wanted to find out if one could communicate directly between two people by reading out the brain activity from one person and injecting brain activity into the second person, and do so across great physical distances by leveraging existing communication pathways," explains coauthor Alvaro Pascual-Leone, MD, PhD, Director of the Berenson-Allen Center for Noninvasive Brain Stimulation at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) and Professor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School. "One such pathway is, of course, the internet, so our question became, 'Could we develop an experiment that would bypass the talking or typing part of internet and establish direct brain-to-brain communication between subjects located far away from each other in India and France ?'"

It turned out the answer was "yes."

In the neuroscientific equivalent of instant messaging, Pascual-Leone, together with Giulio Ruffini and Carles Grau leading a team of researchers from Starlab Barcelona, Spain, and Michel Berg, leading a team from Axilum Robotics, Strasbourg, France, successfully transmitted the words "hola" and "ciao" in a computer-mediated brain-to-brain transmission from a location in India to a location in France using internet-linked electroencephalogram (EEG) and robot-assisted and image-guided transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) technologies.

Previous studies on EEG-based brain-computer interaction (BCI) have typically made use of communication between a human brain and computer. In these studies, electrodes attached to a person's scalp record electrical currents in the brain as a person realizes an action-thought, such as consciously thinking about moving the arm or leg. The computer then interprets that signal and translates it to a control output, such as a robot or wheelchair.

But, in this new study, the research team added a second human brain on the other end of the system. Four healthy participants, aged 28 to 50, participated in the study. One of the four subjects was assigned to the brain-computer interface (BCI) branch and was the sender of the words; the other three were assigned to the computer-brain interface (CBI) branch of the experiments and received the messages and had to understand them.

Using EEG, the research team first translated the greetings "hola" and "ciao" into binary code and then emailed the results from India to France. There a computer-brain interface transmitted the message to the receiver's brain through noninvasive brain stimulation. The subjects experienced this as phosphenes, flashes of light in their peripheral vision. The light appeared in numerical sequences that enabled the receiver to decode the information in the message, and while the subjects did not report feeling anything, they did correctly receive the greetings.

A second similar experiment was conducted between individuals in Spain and France, with the end result a total error rate of just 15 percent, 11 percent on the decoding end and five percent on the initial coding side.

"By using advanced precision neuro-technologies including wireless EEG and robotized TMS, we were able to directly and noninvasively transmit a thought from one person to another, without them having to speak or write," says Pascual-Leone. "This in itself is a remarkable step in human communication, but being able to do so across a distance of thousands of miles is a critically important proof-of-principle for the development of brain-to-brain communications. We believe these experiments represent an important first step in exploring the feasibility of complementing or bypassing traditional language-based or motor-based communication."

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-09-team-brain-to-brain-human-subjects.html

What could go wrong?  ???

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:57:53 pm »
Scary.  Oh wait.  Nothing can go wrong.  Life is uncomplicated!  I'm better now.   ::)
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline Sinny

• Gold 305
  • Think In, Out and Around The Box.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 03:40:23 am »
Lol - yea creepy, welcome to transhumanism.

We'll be living in all envisioned dystopia's.
"The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society"- JFK

Offline burntheships

• Administrator
  • Gold 277
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 07:26:50 am »
Ell,

Nice find, interesting that the interfaces look rather ordinary.

http://news.entecity.com/scientists-sends-brain-to-brain-email-directly-from-trivandrum-to-8000km-away-in-france/

Gives new meaning to the old "thinking cap" eh?

"This is the Documentary Channel"
- Zorgon

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 02:03:40 pm »
Well on a lighter note this might be a good alternative for net neutrality.  :P We can do away with the internet and just start learning everything through osmosis. Imagine how fast you could assimilate knowledge directly tapping into streams of consciousness rather than relying on the other 5 senses.

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 05:08:06 pm »
I have no issues with that scenario on the condition that joining is voluntary and not compulsory.  My aim is that no One be forced to do or not do anything but where each One is responsible for the behavior One chooses within the three Laws of Ethics, with expectation that Others will choose within the same.  If not, there will be repercussions ranging from pariahhood to confinement.

I think, if this technology is applied in a solutocratic way with no requirement to join, it would be awesome.  [smile]  As long as there is money promoting psychopaths, I think We can expect less noble application.

I really think it's time...  Oh.  Heh.  Not My section.  Sorry.
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

sky otter

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 05:32:44 pm »

just start learning everything through osmosis.
oh ,, you mean that isn't how you're doing it now..

Imagine how fast you could assimilate knowledge directly tapping into streams of consciousness .

just like octopi.... ;D  who are already  past the 100th monkey thing

many critters and insects are already doing this..
and some humans

sadly most have been convinced they need a machine for thinking and knowing....sigh

yeah, I know.. sounds like I'm making fun..but I'm not

when did you need an answer and then ask for one, either out loud or just mentally
 and  there it was...in your brain..ready for use?
it happens way more than  most want to recognize.
the problem with most is they don't pay attention and are not good at observation

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 06:20:38 pm »

Excellent work, humans!  The speed of your progress towards joining us, is much more rapid than we anticipated.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline Sinny

• Gold 305
  • Think In, Out and Around The Box.
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 08:15:02 am »
I have no issues with that scenario on the condition that joining is voluntary and not compulsory.  My aim is that no One be forced to do or not do anything but where each One is responsible for the behavior One chooses within the three Laws of Ethics, with expectation that Others will choose within the same.  If not, there will be repercussions ranging from pariahhood to confinement.

I think, if this technology is applied in a solutocratic way with no requirement to join, it would be awesome.  [smile]  As long as there is money promoting psychopaths, I think We can expect less noble application.

I really think it's time...  Oh.  Heh.  Not My section.  Sorry.

Muahaha, because we know that the present Governments have soo much respect for our consent! Lol

As a side note I read the other day that just as we have. V2S (voice to skull) technology, we also already have the ability to electronically read minds....

Wouldn't surprise me, after all, our brains and thoughts are electromagnetic maps... 
"The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society"- JFK

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 10:34:23 am »
The brain operates with a narrow band of frequencies: beta waves, or normal activity, are 13-35 Hz; alpha
waves, or focused mental functioning are 8-12 Hz; theta waves, or mental imagery, are 4-7 Hz; and delta waves, or
sleep, are .5-3 Hz. External stimulation of the brain by electromagnetic energy causes the brain to become entrained
or locked in phase with an external signal. Specific waveforms and frequencies trigger precise chemical responses in
the brain. The release of these neurochemicals cause specific reactions in the brain, which result in feelings of fear,
lust, depression, love, etc. The power level needed to achieve a level of control over brain activity is very small, from
5 to 200 microamperes, which is a thousand times less than the power to run a 60watt light bulb. The trick to
influencing brain activity is in the combination of frequency, power level, and wave form.

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/forum/index.php?topic=6818.0

How much EMF does it take to disrupt normal thought patterns? We are bombarded with "Noise" all the time...how much of this is affecting our moods or the way we think?

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter