collapse

Author Topic: fake news - live  (Read 28041 times)

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
Re: fake news - live
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2018, 09:09:01 pm »
  two women with the same name..not unusual

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AJudith_Resnik

Another Judith Resnik
There is also a noted legal scholar named Judith Resnik; she is presently the Arthur Liman Professor of Law at Yale and used to teach at the University of Southern California. She warrants a page of her own, but I don't know how to set one up given that the astronaut Judith Resnik already has one.

Perhaps you can find someone who can make a disambiguation page to help you start the article. I'd help, but, like you, I dont know how. Sorry. --66.37.59.98 18:16, 30 November 2005 (UTC)

Create an article at Juduth Resnik (scholar), and then I'll add a disambig to this page.
Perhaps this page should be renamed Judith Arlene Resnik and the Yale Law professor should be put at Judith Resnik because she does not appear to have a middle name (I checked her official faculty page and publications). Libertylaw 13:41, 8 June 2007 (UTC)

Shuttle Astronaut Dr. Judith Resnik | NASA
https://www.nasa.gov/content/shuttle-astronaut-dr-judith-resnik
Jul 28, 2013 - 1979: Shuttle Astronaut Dr. Judith Resnik receives an award during a visit to the NASAGlenn Research Center. Born in Akron, Ohio, Resnik flew on Discovery in 1984. She died less than two years later, on January 28 1986, when the shuttle Challenger exploded 73 seconds after launch. (C-1979-03014).

Judith Resnik - Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies - Yale ...
https://wgss.yale.edu/people/judith-resnik Judith Resnik is the Arthur Liman Professor of Law at Yale Law School, where she teaches about federalism, procedure, courts, equality, and citizenship. She also holds a term appointment as an Honorary Professor, Faculty of Laws, University College London. Professor Resnik's books include Representing Justice: ...

American Academy of Arts & Sciences
Published on Dec 22, 2014

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 09:17:16 pm by space otter »

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2018, 09:20:48 pm »

Destroyer of Amerika,

good thing that we live in AMERICA then, isn't it :P

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2018, 01:02:32 am »
good thing that we live in AMERICA then, isn't it :P

Not so sure about that these days :P

As for Judith Resnik... I brought it up because Conspiracy Nuts :P  claim to have found all the astronauts alive... 

::)

The resemblance is quite good though as well as the name (yes Judy would have been about the same age now :D)

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2018, 03:08:17 am »
perfect example

you can say anything as long as you don't believe it..
I still don't get what's the connection with timelines.  ???

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2018, 08:51:34 am »

Z
the strange thing is that when i saw that last name i thought "oh maybe that is Joe's first wife' and went to look.. it went sideways with the list of links i got when i typed in her name..
 i was looking for birthdays on them but didn't find one for the lawyer but  wow they do look similar...
guess that goes back to how many doubles we have. ::) or should that be be layers..or dimensions blending in and out
or who the hell knows anymore...sigh
 that's kinda how it goes for me most daze.. i start one thing and wind up far away...hahahahahaha

Armap
I don’t know if I can explain it..and maybe it isn’t a timeline shift as much as it is a pendulum swing,or like sarge says..maybe just an age thing.
But it used to be you could read something and believe it was true with just a shading of the writers opinion.
Now it seems to be that folks want to write something to see how many they can fool and then brag how easy it is, and get enjoyment out of that.
So when I saw that headline of they were sacking that guy cause he believed what he was writing, it felt like we had slipped into some ‘other’ time (line).
Maybe it’s just me..

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2018, 01:06:30 pm »
Maybe it’s just me..
Maybe. :)

People believing their own lies is quite common, and has always been, as they need to be convinced of what they say so they do not sound like they are lying.

The problem today is that facebook augmented things, by bringing all the liars and all the blind believers to one place where they fed on each other and then spread to other sites.

Only the media used changed, people have always been like that.

Offline Sgt.Rocknroll

• Gold 343
  • Miss you Zorgon
    • Sgt.Rocknroll
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2018, 01:51:08 pm »
Before social media, you could count the idiots that were your friends on one hand. And as ArMaP stated FB (& Instagram & the others), has brought them all together.
They have always been there, you just couldn't see them, except for a headline or two in the local newspaper.

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini Tuo da gloriam

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2018, 01:57:27 pm »
They have always been there, you just couldn't see them, except for a headline or two in the local newspaper.

Yes I posted that several times LOL but since I erased the FB pages it's gone  Was that post about the VILLAGE IDIOT

Before the internet the VILLAGE IDIOT was local and easy to ignore, but now the internet and cell phones can be used by a 2 year old  so that VILLAGE IDIOT now has an INTERNATIONAL soapbox and can connect with all the other VILLAGE IDIOTs around the world.

And they are winning because they have the sheer force of numbers ob their side

:o

8)

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2018, 02:36:10 pm »
Before the internet the VILLAGE IDIOT was local and easy to ignore, but now the internet and cell phones can be used by a 2 year old  so that VILLAGE IDIOT now has an INTERNATIONAL soapbox and can connect with all the other VILLAGE IDIOTs around the world.
To me that's not the biggest problem, the problem is that facebook and other social media (including this forum's software) only allow positive feedbak (facebook has "likes", we have "gold"), so people get used to see all those positive reactions and positive answers (they just have to remove the negative answers), so what was created was a huge group of people, worldwide, that thinks that all their opinions are correct and that everybody likes them, and they can't be wrong. Also, the best way of getting positive answers is to post about things other people (the "friends" of those persons), so we also get groups that all think the same and, once more, think they are right and everybody else is wrong.

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2018, 03:01:47 pm »
This forum has the mechanism in place, if we activate it, where those who disagree with you can smite thee instead of giving you gold
 8)
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2018, 03:32:22 pm »

well for my half penny i don't think you should be able to like or smite..
anyone looking can see how many times you have posted and take it from there
i think the like/smite thing just makes it worse..everyone looks to see if you are liked or thanks or stoned  instead of actually reading what you have to say and responding in a verbal manner

my  tiny opinion

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2018, 04:01:35 pm »
This forum has the mechanism in place, if we activate it, where those who disagree with you can smite thee instead of giving you gold
 8)
On ATS they give "stars", and several years ago, when they added that function, it was possible to give negative stars, and what happened was that people made threads and, sometimes, although they didn't had any answer they were full of negative stars. What happened was that people started to act in groups, so when someone from a rival group made a thread everybody from the other groups would give negative stars, so the person that made the thread would look bad.

That's why negative stars were removed.

Offline Sgt.Rocknroll

• Gold 343
  • Miss you Zorgon
    • Sgt.Rocknroll
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2018, 06:28:38 pm »
I might agree with someone or the content of their thread or post. But my posting that agreement wouldn’t add anything to the conversation. The only response is to give gold.
Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini Tuo da gloriam

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2018, 06:29:50 am »

i do believe that fake news is  in this picture...or maybe just the current state of human nature   sigh

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/luke-obrien-doxed-threats-amymek_us_5b16bb9de4b0734a9937f2ca

MEDIA 06/05/2018 02:56 pm ET Updated 15 hours ago

A HuffPost Reporter Was Bombarded With Threats. Twitter Suspended Him.
When Twitter outsources policing its platform to victims of harassment, it empowers brigades of trolls and extremists.

By Nick Baumann

Last week HuffPost reporter Luke O’Brien published a story identifying the woman behind @AmyMek, a massively popular pseudonymous Twitter account followed by people like Sean Hannity, Roseanne Barr, Sarah Huckabee Sanders and Ryan Zinke and endorsed by people like President Donald Trump and former national security adviser Michael Flynn.

O’Brien revealed the person behind the 220,000-follower account: a New York woman who also ran a website where she posted the names, photos and contact information of people and groups she believed were collaborating with terrorists. The story struck a chord. Hundreds of thousands of people read it in the days after it was published. It resonated because it’s shocking to realize that the person in the apartment next door (or your kid’s teacher or a consultant you met at a bar) might have a second life as an online hatemonger.

But the reaction to O’Brien’s piece revealed something even deeper and more disturbing about the way U.S. journalism and politics work in the age of the internet. He received dozens of threats via tweet, phone and email in the days after the story published. People published his family members’ addresses and phone numbers and those of at least five other HuffPost employees and seven of their family members. HuffPost’s editor-in-chief got calls on her cellphone from people saying racial slurs. Other people with the name Luke O’Brien had their addresses and phone numbers and pictures of their children posted online. Right-wing sites published stories falsely accusing O’Brien of violating journalistic ethics.

Some people even complained to executives at HuffPost’s parent companies, hoping to get O’Brien fired. He wasn’t. But this story could easily have ended differently. So we wanted to explain what happened before and after the story was published.

O’Brien had a good reason to investigate @AmyMek: Investigating influential people is part of his job. Social networks like Twitter and Facebook have made it easier than ever to become a public figure with enormous influence while remaining anonymous. One especially quick way to do this is to spread hate. Americans have a First Amendment right to spread hate speech anonymously without punishment from the government. But the identities of influential anonymous people are inherently newsworthy. So for months, HuffPost has been investigating the most influential anonymous Twitter and Facebook users that spread hate — and identifying the people behind them. O’Brien’s story about @AmyMek was part of that effort.

Before publishing the story, which I edited, O’Brien made multiple attempts to reach Amy Mekelburg, the woman behind @AmyMek, for comment. For days, she didn’t respond. Shortly before publication, she referred him to a lawyer — who told O’Brien he didn’t represent her. Then she tweeted out a string of accusations that O’Brien was “stalking” her and “viciously harassing me, my husband and my loved ones.”

That was not true: O’Brien was contacting Mekelburg, her husband and other people mentioned in the story to give them the chance to comment before publication. He was doing his job as a journalist.

But Mekelburg’s tweets — sent before O’Brien’s story went up — unleashed the torrent of threatening tweets, emails and phone calls directed at O’Brien and other HuffPost reporters. Prominent figures in the so-called alt-right and alt-lite, movements O’Brien has covered aggressively, piled on.

O’Brien hadn’t published Mekelburg’s address or phone number — an act known as doxing that HuffPost’s editorial standards do not permit. But people accused him of doing it anyway and then published the addresses and phone numbers of his family members, as well as those of several other HuffPost journalists and their families.

On Twitter and 4Chan, an anonymous online message board, people suggested throwing bricks at reporters. “Brick a Journalist” is a far-right intimidation campaign targeting journalists by threatening to attack them with bricks; O’Brien received at least a dozen images of bricks. Andrew Anglin, an American neo-Nazi O’Brien profiled in The Atlantic, even trollishly attempted to brand O’Brien as a Nazi ally (no, we’re not going to link to his site), encouraging his followers to support the reporter who had tracked him for months, even as neo-Nazis harassed O’Brien and targeted his family on Twitter.

For months, HuffPost has been investigating the most influential anonymous Twitter and Facebook users that spread hate – and identifying the people behind them. O’Brien’s story about @AmyMek was part of that effort.
O’Brien is a professional journalist covering political extremists. He’s not hiding: His name is on his articles, and his phone number is in his Twitter bio. He knows that receiving threats comes with the job. But what happened next shows exactly what sort of complaints platforms like Twitter take seriously — and which ones they don’t.

When one writer accused O’Brien of “going after” Mekelburg’s husband — because O’Brien called the WWE, where her husband is a vice president, to ask for comment — O’Brien, who had already received scores of threats, tweeted back to correct the record:

“Nobody went after his job, you insufferable stuffed shirt,” he wrote. “I called WWE to give them a chance to respond to info from a source who told me WWE knew about AmyMek. That’s EXACTLY how ethical journalism works. They fired him. I was shocked. Take it up with them, then go DDT yourself.”

Twitter decided to suspend O’Brien’s account — it has since been reinstated —saying his DDT suggestion amounted to encouraging self-harm. (He was referring to a pro-wrestling move, not to the pesticide.)

Many of the people who sent him threats have not been suspended. (Twitter itself uses the term “permanent suspension” to refer to a ban and “temporary locking” to refer to a suspension.)

That O’Brien was suspended but the people who threatened him are still on the site reveals a larger problem: Twitter (which provided a formulaic “taking this seriously” statement in response to questions for this story) relies heavily on its users to police the platform. The company says it has tools to identify content that violates its terms of service and remove the accounts responsible. But spending even a small amount of time on Twitter makes clear that those tools are not effective at making it the home for the “healthy conversation” the company says it wants.

Twitter matters: For all its faults, it is an essential tool for many people and the place where a lot of news breaks. That means it has a lot of users. But because Twitter is so huge, it would cost the company enormous sums to hire people to monitor all the harassment on its site. So it outsources a lot of the initial work of flagging threats, harassment and abuse to the victims of those attacks. That doesn’t work particularly well on normal days. And over the past few days, when thousands of tweets were spamming O’Brien’s account, it didn’t work well at all. No one person could have tracked and reported all the threats O’Brien received. There were too many, and they were blended in with all the rest of the crap he was getting. That means most of the users responsible for harassing and threatening O’Brien will stay on Twitter — or get new accounts if they’re suspended.

All of this gives brigades of trolls and extremists enormous power to dictate the tone and content of Twitter.

That complaint isn’t new. People have been making it for years. But Twitter is as toxic as ever. Maybe that’s because Twitter isn’t actually taking these problems seriously. Maybe the Twitter we have now — the one swamped by harassers, trolls and hatemongers — is exactly the one the company wants.

Travis Waldron contributed reporting.

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2018, 03:41:46 pm »
On ATS they give "stars",

Yes and they smack you silly if you dare make a comment like "Great Post! I agree 100%"

In my space command thread a guy sent me a link saying "you might be interested in THIS" with a link.  I replied "Thanks a lot that is awesome"  Well the link was blocked with one of those stupid banners ATS puts up (when the link was absolute proof of what the thread was about :P because some over zealous mod deleted without reading it :P ) and for my reply despite the fact that I spent months of hard work on that thread ATS skeptic overlord singed me with a "one liner" penalty (and despite Springer saying it was an error that post is still blocked today

So one day at ATS someone said to me  WHY don't you make a serious thread instead of using those tabloid headlines....

So okay I did.  I made THREE threads  2 with tabloid headlines and one with a serious title.  What happened?  The serious title  "Fossils on Mars - A Collection of Evidence

Now that thread got several applauses from staff (that is 1000 points awards) but very little actual comments.  As people are not allowed to say "Great thread Zorgon!" they don't reply. And as other people don't really have anything new to add, they don't post... and as skeptics cannot argue with the facts presented, they do not reply... end result? Thread dies....

Now the one Sensational headline was "A Herd of Martian Creatures?"  Now THAT got a lot of comments in the first day....

The point is that when you do the hard work and fully research a topic and post it all, there is little anyone can really add to the information...  and skeptics cannot really argue with a presentation of facts and documents  so there is little that can be said other than 'great thread! and give a star (or gold)... but the page usually falls of the page quickly because there is no activity.

On the other hand if you post sensational topics like John Lear does there is a lot of room for argument so you will produce dialog  (and trolls :P ) This is why political posts and religious posts dominate as EVERYONE has an opinion  :P and feels the need to voice it and if you don't agree they get mad  :D   

So as for the LIKES(Gold)  sometimes that is the only way you even know if anyone has even looked at your hard worked at posts

And yes  negative marks can destroy people because it is easy to gang up on someone...

ATS has become a GANG of Trolls :P  with Spooks hiding in the shadows

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56