collapse

Author Topic: Artificial Intelligence Is No Joke  (Read 157 times)

Offline Eighthman

• Gold 83
Artificial Intelligence Is No Joke
« on: April 13, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/604087/the-dark-secret-at-the-heart-of-ai/#comments

AI systems are learning and making complex decisions, often with stunning accuracy - and scientists can't explain how this is happening.
I never would have predicted this.

Save us, Colossus.

Offline biggles

• Gold 38
Re: Artificial Intelligence Is No Joke
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 05:54:56 PM »
Making my brain hurt; I only have a few active cells left.
I know that I know nothing - thanks Capricorn.

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 291
  • We are here
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 06:10:03 PM »
I was about to post an article and realized it's the same one.  :P

Some really good points there though...
Last year, a strange self-driving car was released onto the quiet roads of Monmouth County, New Jersey. The experimental vehicle, developed by researchers at the chip maker Nvidia, didn’t look different from other autonomous cars, but it was unlike anything demonstrated by Google, Tesla, or General Motors, and it showed the rising power of artificial intelligence. The car didn’t follow a single instruction provided by an engineer or programmer. Instead, it relied entirely on an algorithm that had taught itself to drive by watching a human do it.
Getting a car to drive this way was an impressive feat. But it’s also a bit unsettling, since it isn’t completely clear how the car makes its decisions.

There’s already an argument that being able to interrogate an AI system about how it reached its conclusions is a fundamental legal right. Starting in the summer of 2018, the European Union may require that companies be able to give users an explanation for decisions that automated systems reach. This might be impossible, even for systems that seem relatively simple on the surface, such as the apps and websites that use deep learning to serve ads or recommend songs. The computers that run those services have programmed themselves, and they have done it in ways we cannot understand. Even the engineers who build these apps cannot fully explain their behavior.

The U.S. military is pouring billions into projects that will use machine learning to pilot vehicles and aircraft, identify targets, and help analysts sift through huge piles of intelligence data. Here more than anywhere else, even more than in medicine, there is little room for algorithmic mystery, and the Department of Defense has identified explainability as a key stumbling block.

“We haven’t achieved the whole dream, which is where AI has a conversation with you, and it is able to explain,” says Guestrin. “We’re a long way from having truly interpretable AI.”

What happens when A.I meets religion?

I predict deep learning will eventually come to a complete understanding of all the intricacies of how a human brain works. I also predict that human to brain interface devices will also allow deep learning to reprogram our own brains and allow us to increase our own intelligence without having to learn it ourselves over periods of years (think the matrix).

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 627
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 12:56:49 AM »
I predict deep learning will eventually come to a complete understanding of all the intricacies of how a human brain works.
I think that's what has been keeping AI back, the fact that we are trying to replicate how the human brain works instead of creating different ways to achieve the same results with different methods.

Offline Irene

• 🐾 Crazy Cat Lady 🐾
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 55
  • Reading Old Gold
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 07:37:56 AM »
I think that's what has been keeping AI back, the fact that we are trying to replicate how the human brain works instead of creating different ways to achieve the same results with different methods.

For safety's sake, I think we are operating on a limited level in the creation of AI in order to understand, at each step, how AI is functioning and doing what it does. The minute it exceeds our understanding it becomes dangerous to us.

There have already been instances of these machines doing things on their own without humans understanding how they were done. I don't think this is a good thing.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

"History . . . is a nightmare from which I'm trying to awake." - James Joyce

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 627
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 02:09:59 PM »
For safety's sake, I think we are operating on a limited level in the creation of AI in order to understand, at each step, how AI is functioning and doing what it does. The minute it exceeds our understanding it becomes dangerous to us.
One of the problems with AI is that we don't even understand natural intelligence, so how can we recreate it artificially? What we have been doing is trying to create something that gives us similar results to those from natural intelligence (or what we consider intelligence), but is that really intelligence? Does it have the ability to apply what it learned to a completely different problem, for example?

There have already been instances of these machines doing things on their own without humans understanding how they were done. I don't think this is a good thing.
You don't need to look at AI to see that happening, as a programmer I have seen many, many times programs doing things we don't know how they did it, only after analysing their "behaviour" was I able to understand it.

I think the problem with deep learning is similar to creating fractals by feeding the a value resulting from a calculation into the new calculation: we are seeing in the result of deep learning the result of re-feeding information, so we see some characteristics of that information (borrowing Darwin's idea, the "fittest" for the problem under analysis) emerging from the original data.

PS: As I usually say, as long as they have an off switch there's no problem. :)

Edited to add that it's not that difficult to get an idea of how those algorithms choose one option over all others, as the computers have one thing humans do not have: logging. :)
It's easy to add logging to any program, so they can get information about the progress of any problem solved by the program, and analyse the logs to see (as they know the algorithm) why one specific option was chosen.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:37:45 PM by ArMaP »

Offline biggles

• Gold 38
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 05:57:20 PM »
Exactly, agree with both of you. xo
I know that I know nothing - thanks Capricorn.

Need some cash for medical reasons? Trying to get more education? Have a family emergency? Then try Gofundme. GoFundMe personal online fundraising websites are perfect for individuals, groups & organizations!  Take a Tour Here to see how it works. It's Free! Sign up today for your own personal funding account.

* Recent Posts

Re: Drone vehicles carrying people - Autonomous Aerial Vehicles by Littleenki
[Today at 05:43:37 AM]

Re: Very technical presentation on where Atlantis might be. by biggles
[Today at 05:42:23 AM]

Re: Very technical presentation on where Atlantis might be. by ArMaP
[Today at 05:39:50 AM]

Re: Breaking News!! - Juno Probe sends back first home movies of Jupiter!! by ArMaP
[Today at 01:21:47 AM]

Re: Drone vehicles carrying people - Autonomous Aerial Vehicles by biggles
[April 25, 2017, 07:05:26 PM]

[April 25, 2017, 07:03:31 PM]

Re: Drone vehicles carrying people - Autonomous Aerial Vehicles by spacemaverick
[April 25, 2017, 07:01:22 PM]

[April 25, 2017, 06:55:55 PM]

Re: Very technical presentation on where Atlantis might be. by the seeker
[April 25, 2017, 06:53:19 PM]

Re: Thru the wormhole with Morgan Freeman Tuesday 4/25/2017... by biggles
[April 25, 2017, 06:51:18 PM]

[April 25, 2017, 06:50:08 PM]

Re: Very technical presentation on where Atlantis might be. by Sgt.Rocknroll
[April 25, 2017, 06:43:29 PM]

Re: Thru the wormhole with Morgan Freeman Tuesday 4/25/2017... by the seeker
[April 25, 2017, 06:40:15 PM]

Re: Drone vehicles carrying people - Autonomous Aerial Vehicles by biggles
[April 25, 2017, 06:38:23 PM]

Re: New Aurora discovered by Irene
[April 25, 2017, 06:32:49 PM]

Re: Breaking News!! - Juno Probe sends back first home movies of Jupiter!! by the seeker
[April 25, 2017, 06:17:39 PM]

Re: Breaking News!! - Juno Probe sends back first home movies of Jupiter!! by A51Watcher
[April 25, 2017, 06:11:06 PM]

Re: New Aurora discovered by the seeker
[April 25, 2017, 05:23:13 PM]

Re: New Aurora discovered by space otter
[April 25, 2017, 04:30:11 PM]

Re: Very technical presentation on where Atlantis might be. by the seeker
[April 25, 2017, 04:06:12 PM]

affiliate_link