collapse

Author Topic: The Lightbulb Conspiracy  (Read 7976 times)

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
The Lightbulb Conspiracy
« on: August 12, 2012, 08:43:29 pm »
[youtube]uXt9HT50X1c[/youtube]

This is a vitally important film, and is one which I would ask everyone here who is willing, to watch.  It is about planned obsolescence, and the various ways in which companies deliberately make defective products, in order to encourage consumerism.

One of the main reasons why many people need to see this film, is because so many are developing the opinion that technology in and of itself, is the main cause of our problems.  It is not; pathological engineering is.  I hope this film is able to demonstrate that.

I was originally going to put this in Conspiracy Theories, but then realised that it is actually a better fit here.  Planned obsolescence, and issues relating to the deliberate embrace of defective engineering, is one of the central problems that must be overcome, if we are to successfully transition to the type of society that Amaterasu, myself, and other people with similar visions have proposed.  As someone whose Bliss (as Amaterasu would put it) is related to systems automation, and non-defective technologies in general, this is a topic that I am particularly passionate about.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
Re: The Lightbulb Conspiracy
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 09:04:53 pm »
Tell me about it, as I play with my new Samsung galaxy...my droid took a crap on the first day of the third year since buying it...perfect timing motorola!

Planned obsolescence is sadly the way they keep us from saving any money, and perpetually purchasing every new version when the old ones die.

And its not just Walmart crap that takes a poop on day 367, its just about everything.

Also, America's penchant for buying new, is where weve gone wrong...if stuff was made to be repairable it would be great for consumers, but a death knell for corporations!

As PWM would say...Just Fix It!!!

Le
Hermetically sealed, for your protection

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 09:11:27 pm »
100-watt light bulbs disappearing, despite Congress' efforts to save them

Better stock up now before its too late

The law declared that household light bulbs had to become at least 25 percent to 30 percent more efficient in five years or they couldn't be manufactured in the United States.

Beginning Jan. 1, 2012, the traditional 100-watt incandescent bulb would have to be more efficient or go the way of the old gaslights.

The 75-watt would improve or disappear on Jan. 1, 2013, the 60-watt and 40-watt on the first day of 2014.

100-watt light bulbs disappearing, despite Congress' efforts to save them

100 Watt Incandescent Light Bulbs
$0.33 ea. Sold only by the 4 Pack for $1.31
http://1000bulbs.com/category/100-watt-standard-shape-light-bulbs/

Congress bans 100-watt light bulbs

Law shouldn’t affect island, most lights at schools, town buildings already replaced
BY MARGO SULLIVAN

Congress has turned the lights out on the 100-watt screw-in bulb, but so far, the news has barely caused a flicker of interest on the island, according to Jamestown Hardware’s owner, Scott Sherman.

In fact, the local store still has stock on the shelves and will be allowed to continue selling the 100-watt incandescent bulbs until supplies run out.

“We still carry them,” he said.

Manufacturers, however, have stopped producing the high-watt incandescent lights, said Lindsey Geisler, spokesperson for the Department of Energy. The government ban on 100-watt light bulbs went into effect Jan. 1, she said. The reason is that the incandescent light bulbs generate too much heat and waste energy. The incandescent bulbs are being phased out beginning with the 100-watt lights, but manufacturing will eventually also halt on the 75-, 60- and 40-watt bulbs.

Manufacturers will stop producing 75-watt bulbs on Jan. 1, 2013, but will continue making the 60- watt and 40-watt bulbs until 2014.

http://www.jamestownpress.com/news/2012-01-12/News/Congress_bans_100watt_light_bulbs.html
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:13:04 pm by zorgon »

Offline COSMO

• Gold 157
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 09:31:10 pm »
So we should go to these?

CFL Bulb UV Rays Linked To Skin Cell Damage In Study

A recent study conducted by researchers at Stony Brook University’s National Science Foundation-funded Garcia Center for Polymers at Engineered Interfaces has found that ultraviolet radiation can leak through cracks in the phosphor coating of compact fluorescent light bulbs and, in turn, potentially damage otherwise healthy human skin cells. The study, inspired by similar European research, was published last month in the journal Photochemistry and Photobiology.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/10/cfl-bulb-uv-rays_n_1764892.html?utm_hp_ref=green

I wouldn't worry, they are probably as harmless as cell phones.   ;)

Oh wait...

Is a rise in brain tumours linked to the radiation sources we hold so close to our heads?

They will call for urgent research into new Office of National Statistics figures that suggest a 50 per cent increase in frontal and temporal lobe tumours – the areas of the brain most susceptible to the electromagnetic radiation emitted by mobile phones – between 1999 and 2009.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/a-close-call-why-the-jury-is-still-out-on-mobile-phones-7670543.html

Probably just some conspiracy disinformation...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:35:25 pm by COSMO »
And you may ask yourself
Well...How did I get here?

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 10:00:35 pm »
LED Bulbs to Replace

Lowes has 65 watt equivalents  for $24.98 each :D

Utilitech 65-Watt Soft White Decorative LED Light Bulb $24.98
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 10:02:33 pm by zorgon »

Offline COSMO

• Gold 157
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 10:17:35 pm »
LED Bulbs to Replace

Lowes has 65 watt equivalents  for $24.98 each :D

Utilitech 65-Watt Soft White Decorative LED Light Bulb $24.98

Now that's progress!  lol
And you may ask yourself
Well...How did I get here?

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 11:36:05 pm »
what i want to know is why are leds so expensive.they can be bought in bulk cheap.but once they are assembled there expensive.like the new led grow lights out?over a thousand bucks.why cant they make a board we can replace leds.like christmas lights.pull one out ,push one in.
oh and i agree on the phone thing.is it a safety issue with the battery?will the battery catch on fire after too much use?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 11:39:15 pm by robomont »
ive never been much for rules.
being me has its priviledges.

Dumbledore

PLAYSWITHMACHINES

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 03:38:13 am »
a very interesting topic.
planned obsolescence has been going on for years.
Some celphones & washing machines actually have a 'suicide' circuit built in that will simply short out after so many hours of use :o

Sad, but true.
What they still don't realise is that they could easily make things that last 100 years.
OK so after a while everybody has one, & no more will be sold.
In that case you just re-arrange the factory to make another 100 year product, and so on.

I really have to stock up on light bulbs, then.
How else am i going to load my energy devices?

1 Kw can best be shown using 10 x 100w bulbs, or will i have to light up 10,000 LED's instead?
Think of all that wiring.... :P

And it irritates me that TPTB are telling us to cut down on the power that we pay for and yet they are busy using gigawatts with their HAARP & LHC etc etc.....
Talk about hypocrisy.... ::)

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 06:46:31 am »
Mornin, bulbous ones!;)
Hypocrisy is the defining word for most political agendas, and damn they are good at it, the churches should be jealous!

Yes Luke, Ive worked on an appliance or two and seen the specific parts which like to go at around three or four years or 4000 hours of use or so. Whirlpool is really bad at using gaskets which dry out prematurely, and how many refirgerators have you seen discarded because one small part was either unavailable or too expensive to bother with.

Not only is it timed suicidal parts, the companies actually stop making replacments parts way too soon. Thank goodness there are companies here in the US which buy up all the replacement parts right away, and then triple the retail price on them...NOT!

For that load, Luke, maybe a parts shredder will draw enough current, and we can throw all the obsolescent parts and devices in it and run it 24/7..that ought to draw around 1000 watts, eh?:D

I also noticed many products for my boat are made with non corrosion resistant materials...WTF? Why would anyone make a pump for a livewell with a carbon steel impeller shaft which rusts through in one year? Oh yeah.

I think a company which designs and makes products that are made to last...last for real would be a welcome addition to the world markets, and we could make eevry product from the best engineering and materials, to last well beyond their peers. I think Ford had it down decades ago with their F-100 pickup truck, and also Electrovoice did it with their 30s-50s line of cabinet speakers.

I could name numerous products which I still have and repair when the do break, which I will never get rid of.

I hate to say it but the Japanese had it going good until the American way crept into their business practices...around thirty years ago or so. And my Yamaha outboards are indestructable, as is every Yamaha product Ive ever bought.

Still drive a Chevy, though...but I always buy the 3500 chassis or bigger for my trucks, they last waaaay longer than the 1500's.

I wonder how that company would do, with it's 100 year products, Luke? Only if the current crop of companies didnt sue them in class action to shut them down due to lost revenue! Sad.

Le
Hermetically sealed, for your protection

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 01:25:26 pm »
So looking forward to reading & replying.  I have limited time today - on a public computer - but when I have the interweb at My new residence, I will be all over this. 
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 01:48:24 pm »
I have the interweb at My new residence, I will be all over this.

uh oh... spammer on the LOOSE  :P

One point that we must NOT overlook

LED's can run on very low voltage... so if your handy you can run some wires in the house for a low voltage system and hook up simple cheap solar panels to power your lights :D

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:54:12 pm by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 01:53:11 pm »
  Somamech

For those with no money... here is another alternative

The World’s Cheapest Lightbulb Is Made Of Just A Plastic Bottle

In places where there is no grid, houses can be dark. But a simple solution--a plastic bottle stuck in the roof--can light up a room.

We have lightbulbs made from glowing metal filaments, fluorescent gas, and LED diodes. And now we have one made of water. There is also a virtually unlimited supply since the "bulb" is composed of nothing more than one-liter plastic bottle, water, and bleach. The simple technology can be installed in less than an hour, lasts for five years, and is equivalent to a 60-watt bulb.

It works simply: The water diffracts the light, letting it spread throughout the house instead of focusing on one point. The bleach keeps the water clear and microbe-free.

Adapted by students from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology focused on "appropriate technologies," the solar bottle bulb is illuminating poor settlements across the Philippines, where the organization Isang Litrong Liwanag ("A Liter of Light") has already installed 10,000 of them. “With the Solar Bottle Bulb project, a brighter Philippines is going to become a reality,” Illac Diaz, a social entrepreneur installing the bulbs, told a Filipino publication. You can watch a video of the bulbs in action here.

The World’s Cheapest Lightbulb Is Made Of Just A Plastic Bottle

Bringing light to the poor, one liter at a time

[youtube]a9fpolCvM-8[/youtube]

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 02:25:16 pm »

Dangerous, CFLs, compact fluorescent light bulbs burning, catching fire.

[youtube]kALiIcrDGec[/youtube]

CFL Light Burned My Home Plus Fire Destruction Photos  $8,000 damage

[youtube]bubJX-m_HSs[/youtube]

CFLs (compact fluorescent lamps) eyed for fire danger

Compact fluorescent lamps, or CFLs, have been counted on to light the way to a more energy-efficient future.

Compared to traditional incandescent bulbs, which will gradually be phased out starting in January, CFLs use about a fifth the power and have a life six to 10 times as great.

However, since the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission launched its online safety complaints database in March, there have been 34 reports made by people about CFLs that emitted smoke or a burning odor and four reports of the devices catching fire.

As perspective, though, 272 million CFLs were sold in 2009 in the United States.

Nevertheless, the complaints are a cause for concern, according to Jennifer Mieth, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Fire Services

CFLs (compact fluorescent lamps) eyed for fire danger

CFL Grow Light Explosion!
This video shows what happens when you turn on a cracked CFL bulb.

[youtube]Ti9WK-y1Thw[/youtube]

Compact fluorescent lamp

Like all fluorescent lamps, CFLs contain MERCURY, which complicates their disposal. In many countries, governments have established recycling schemes for CFLs and glass generally.

Offline Phedre

• The Matrix
  • Gold 14
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 04:03:16 pm »
I really dislike the CFLs. But I do like the LEDs and they last a long time. I get mine from here:
http://www.ccrane.com/. They have an excellent chart to help you figure out what size and etc you need. And no, I don't work for them, but I have one of their radios, that I would just about die for!

PLAYSWITHMACHINES

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 04:20:41 pm »
Evening all, and hi Phedre, welcome to Pegasus 8)

Yes, Dave, they are good at it;
I also noticed many products for my boat are made with non corrosion resistant materials...WTF? Why would anyone make a pump for a livewell with a carbon steel impeller shaft which rusts through in one year? Oh yeah.
:)
When i made parts for the shipping industry, we used stainless with titanium, several types of bronze, and cast iron, wich rusts VERY slowly.
Of course, we were more expensive than most, but i guarantee those parts i made 10 years ago are still running perfectly, i used to set my tolerances to less than half the customer spec, it always worked fine.

I think a company which designs and makes products that are made to last...last for real would be a welcome addition to the world markets, and we could make every product from the best engineering and materials,
That's precisely what we did, and we had no shortage of customers.
We even beat our competitors with much shorter delivery dates, after sales service etc.
There were only 4 of us, and our output beat all the big companies in the area....
We even once built a machine that was originally supposed to be 2 tons, but it was more like 5 when we finished it ;), and we had to dismantle it to get it to the customer.....LOL

I wonder how that company would do, with it's 100 year products, Luke?
If i had the money i would start one tomorrow, quit my job, & make 100 year machines of all types.
It's all in the design, you have to allow for easy adaptation to future materials & techniques.

Impossible?
Hardly, take my old Amiga 500. It can play MP3's burn CD's and has enourmous flexibility.
It can run virtually any code like Linux, C+ etc.

None of these things were even invented when the 500 was made, yet it can do them all....

Yeah, CFL's are rubbish, and i have a few that emit a high frequeny hum, very irritating...
I have always run my tubes cold, at 2000-5000 volts, virtually no current.
Never had a spark or a fire yet....
Leds are getting better though, but hey, if i have free energy, why do i have to have 'energy saving' lamps at all??
Keep those incandescent bulbs, guys, we may need them yet :)
Later!

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: Music You Love by RUSSO
[Today at 02:12:02 am]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]