collapse

Author Topic: VINDICATION!!!  (Read 36903 times)

Offline Linda Brown

• Gold 52
    • The Cosmic Token
Re: VINDICATION!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 11:46:35 am »
Perhaps I have missed the discussions somewhere else here ( I admit to being away from the keys) but on a Forum like this.... why haven't you mentioned the current project   GRAIL?

Linda

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 06:53:03 pm »
why haven't you mentioned the current project   GRAIL?
Linda

Time :D

GRAIL is a gravity mission and I was planning to include it in the gravity thread I haven't had time for yet. I actually forgot it already launched :D

Makes you wonder how NASA made it to the Moon if they just now are sending a craft to study Lunar Gravity :P

sky otter

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 07:22:51 pm »
ok..turned on the computer and this is front and center...this is getting to be way more than vindication..starting to smell just a bit fishy to me

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb10Cpx27w0&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45901428

Giant moon crater revealed in spectacular up-close photos
NASA satellite takes pictures from only 16.2 miles above the surface of Aristarchus

By Space.com Staff

updated 1/6/2012 12:32:35 PM ET 2012-01-06T17:32:35
Spectacular new images of a gigantic crater on the moon were captured recently by a low-skimming NASA satellite.

In November 2011, the space agency's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter spacecraft passed over the moon's Aristarchus crater, which spans 25 miles (40 kilometers) and sinks more than 2 miles (3.5 kilometers) deep. Photos and video of the crater from LRO's
http://www.space.com/10013-lro-team-spirit-joanne-baker.html
 sweep were released Dec. 25.
http://www.space.com/14124-giant-moon-crater-aristarchus-lro-photos.html

The huge and highly reflective Aristarchus is easily visible with the naked eye.
http://www.space.com/13485-moon-skywatching-craters-apollo-landing-sites.html
 But the details shown in the new photos are a special treat from an extremely low flyover by LRO.

"The spacecraft was only 26 km (16.2 miles) above the surface; about two times lower than normal," Mark Robinson, principal investigator of the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera at Arizona State University, wrote in a NASA post.

"For a sense of scale, that altitude is only a little over twice as high as commercial jets fly above the Earth!"

The spot offers some fantastic, and scientifically interesting, scenery.

"The Aristarchus plateau is one of the most geologically diverse places on the moon: a mysterious raised flat plateau, a giant rille carved by enormous outpourings of lava, fields of explosive volcanic ash, and all surrounded by massive flood basalts," Robinson wrote.
Scientists think the crater was created relatively recently, geologically speaking, when a comet or asteroid smashed into the moon, gouging out a hole in its surface.

NASA launched the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter in 2009 on a $504 million mission to map the moon in unprecedented detail.

The spacecraft is about the size of a Mini Cooper car and carries seven instruments to study the lunar surface.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/?id=11881780&q=Arizona%20State%20University

links to these at site
•Latest Moon Photos from NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter
•Moon's Aristarchus Crater Snapped In Amazing Detail
•20 Most Marvelous Moon Missions

.....hey Z..ya need an emoticon with a guy scratchin his head..

::)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:33:24 pm by sky otter »

Offline Sgt.Rocknroll

• Gold 343
  • Miss you Zorgon
    • Sgt.Rocknroll
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 05:56:45 am »
ok..turned on the computer and this is front and center...this is getting to be way more than vindication..starting to smell just a bit fishy to me

Yeah it does seem to be a bit much in such great clarity. Something is going on and I'm not sure what! I expect a lot more being dumped on us real soon. Too good to be true... ???
Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini Tuo da gloriam

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2012, 06:24:03 am »
Makes you wonder how NASA made it to the Moon if they just now are sending a craft to study Lunar Gravity :P
Along with the LRO, this is the type of data you would expect them to gather in preparation for a visit to another heavenly body.

Now they just have to work out how to cope with the radiation levels....

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 11:07:06 am »
There is also ISIS (Appropriate name what? :D )
That's the one I use. :)

It's really a large (I think it's more than 100) group of small programs for specific tasks, one of those is turning the images in standard image formats (IMG2STD) , for example, or making the mosaics with several smaller photos.

PS: they call them Cube files because they are (may be) composed of several different data layers, so it's not a "flat" file. The most common case is the one of the photos from several different channels, all grouped together in just one Cub file, like the Clementine colour images.

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2012, 04:53:27 pm »
.....hey Z..ya need an emoticon with a guy scratchin his head..

I have one :D but I have not yet added smilie sets to the forum

I think I will post a thread in the Rules area just for smilies then people can cut and paste them

Like this

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 05:03:57 pm by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2012, 04:59:17 pm »
In my experience, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. I can't see them giving up any pictures that are of any significance IMO. What would be the reason to allow this now?

Ah darn  always a party pooper in the room :P

But yeah, seems you are right :(

Subject: RE: We should scour the moon for ancient traces of aliens, say scientists

Mr. Schmidt,

You had copied me on your email to Prof. Davies, who sent the response below and asked if I would forward it to you, along with a copy of the paper, which is attached.

Best,
Carol Hughes
Public Relations

FROM PROF. DAVIES:

Thank you for your interest in our paper (attached). If you read the paper, rather than the news commentary, I think you will see that what we are hypothesizing is very different from what you suggest. First, we think there is no evidence at this time of any life beyond Earth, let alone intelligent life. My own position was argued in detail in my book The Eerie Silence. However, if we take the optimistic view that there are at least some planets in our galaxy on which intelligent life may have arisen, the possibility of alien technology in the solar system arises. We have in mind a probe, or a robotic mission. Given that the solar system is only 4.5 billion years old, whereas the galaxy is 13 billion years old, the probability per unit time of such a “visitation” is roughly constant over the lifetime of the Earth. Therefore, the expected time for a probe to arrive is about 2 billion years ago. In our paper we make the more optimistic assumption that a “visitation” might occur 100 million years ago. The probability of aliens, or probes, arriving during the time of human habitation on Earth is infinitesimally small. Therefore, we are most certainly not claiming that there are aliens living on the moon (or Mars) at this time, only that some trace of a “visitation” up to 100 million years old might survive in lunar conditions. They would not survive in Martian conditions due to weathering. Even so, we consider that any visitation of any sort is exceedingly unlikely. Our interest is in whether it is detectable, and how this fascinating idea may be used as an educational tool to interest young people in science.

We have not arranged any systematic search of the LRO database; it is our intention to let an organization like the SETI Institute take the lead on that, so I am simply not in a position to accept your kind offer of assistance, to evaluate the photographs you have already assembled. I hope this brief reply is helpful to you.

With regards,

Paul Davies

Well that's that then... though I will contact SETI and see what they say... and if they will have access to the LRO database as the Prof. says.

I will upload the paper shortly... at least it was a free copy :D

sky otter

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2012, 05:25:16 pm »
ah see me kickin the can down the street

....grumble.... grumble ....grumble

first he uses the royal WE..grrrrrrrr..then talks as though he really knows what is  where
now how could that be???????..
just how could he know these things
ahhhhhhhhhhh  maybe he's psychic...
yep that's it..he's psychic

time to just quit Z..this guy has all the info and says no use in looking

i'm beginning to wonder about  that arizona universe now... ::) :o

had to come back after finding this..did you know about it?
some daze i feel so slow...

LRO First Light images of the Moon!
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/07/02/lro-first-light-images-of-the-moon/
[Update: Ken Bowley on Facebook clued me in that the LRO camera has a page where you can see the raw images, and zoom in -- WAY in -- on the image strips. They have 73 cm resolution, folks. Yikes.]

The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter has returned its first images from the Moon! Woohoo!

Check. It. Out!

Whoaaaa.

This image, taken in the Mare Nubium region of the Moon, shows a heavily cratered area. The scale here is amazing: the whole image is 1400 meters across, or just under a mile. That’s like looking out your airplane window… if you were over the frakking Moon! Even in this compressed image (click to embiggen) features just a few meters across are distinguishable. See that perfectly circular crater just to the right and a tad below the middle of the picture? It’s about 60 meters across, just a bit bigger than two tennis courts end-to-end. It would easily fit in a football stadium.

Holy Haleakala.

It’s a little difficult to interpret the image; for example, near the bottom in the middle I thought for a moment I saw a crater chain. I don’t think that’s real; our eyes tend to pick out linear features even when they aren’t there. Too bad, because that would be cool; crater chains form when an asteroid or comet breaks up before it hits, and we do see them on pretty much every cratered object in the solar system. You can also get them near a larger impact, when junk ejected from the crater splashes out and lands nearby.

I guarantee we’ll see lots of such chains as LRO snaps more pictures. Awesome.

Check this one too:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/lroc_20090702_a.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 06:03:43 pm by sky otter »

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2012, 06:16:47 pm »
had to come back after finding this..did you know about it?
some daze i feel so slow...
About what, the availability of all the images at resolutions like that?

Now I'm confused.

PS: where's a confused smiley?

sky otter

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2012, 06:47:54 pm »
About what, the availability of all the images at resolutions like that?

well either, really... :-\

and if you want a smilie ya gotta import... ;D

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2012, 07:19:08 am »
Otter, there are some very interesting images towards the bottom left in that strip; one almost looks like a spoked wheel with a tail ;D
gonna have to get some new software so I can work on these...
so quit kicking the can and keep looking

seeker
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

Offline Somamech

• Order of the Mystic Star
  • Gold 337
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2012, 07:50:39 am »
Drats!  at the same time The Professors reply was quite interesting in that they are keeping an open mind to aliens visiting the area and that it is not a total waste of time looking for evidence. 

In the meantime though its lucky we got the Lunamatti here Keeping an eye on things

;D

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2012, 11:32:41 am »
Now I'm confused.

PS: where's a confused smiley?
I like this one, but you can't see his arms properly with this background.

There's a choice here. http://www.mysmiley.net/free-confused-smileys.php

I think we need some different standard smileys for this forum....

On the response from Davies, some of what he is saying is based on pure assumption and there are scientific reasons for taking an entirely different view.  Irritatingly, he also ignored the evidence that suggests probes have visited Earth in our lifetimes already.

When I have time I may pull what he says apart (in fact I have started building a thread but got side-tracked) when I have more time.  Right now I'm annoyed and not in the mood for it!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 01:04:29 pm by Pimander »

Offline Somamech

• Order of the Mystic Star
  • Gold 337
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2012, 11:53:02 am »
Pim I see what you are saying 110% in regards to the scientific explanation... it IS ludicrous but at the same time he left a hook and even bothered to reply to Zorgon  ;)

I also hold the possibility that Davies wrote what he did to be as kind as possible to folks who don't buy "the earthlings in an abandoned universe theory".  He even may buy that theory...but something in his text suggest that he is looking whilst keeping a clean academic record along with  personal doubt due to his position. 

Maybe I should change my name to somagloss   :o

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
Official John Lear Tin Foil Hat $19.99

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56