collapse

Author Topic: Help for technical issues on your PC  (Read 114433 times)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Re: Help for technical issues on your PC
« Reply #195 on: April 01, 2013, 12:19:31 pm »
Zorgon
I have a single HD system My friend, have other HD laying around, just never really had the need to have more than one HD on my System, try to keep this one clean, though having multiple ones may have been the way to go, that is if I can figure out how to connect another HD to my PC... They are all different Manufacturer's!! ::)
:-[ :P LOL

Having your OS on a different HD than your data means if the OS has issues your data is still safe if you have to reformat and reinstall the OS

I have the additional protection of a 3 terabyte extermal USB hard drive that just plugs in like a flash drive.

Viruses, Malware etc rarely effect drives other that the c drive

But you say you cannot access DOS commands... DOS commands are on the motherboard, in the bios chips.  They have to be or you wouldn't be able to load a new hard drive

Installing a HD is easy  you just have to set the jumpers. It matters not the manufacture, Bur if you cannot access the bios DOS commands by pressing F8 on bootup then you may have a board issue.

Not all boards however use F8    Find the manufacturer of your board and google it to find the access buttons to the bios

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2013, 12:21:51 pm »
If you have a spare hard drive and a windows xp disk   I would start by unplugging the existing drive, put in the new drive and access the bios to auto find the drives and load windows onto the new drive

If that works, then add the old drive as a slave and clean it up

How To Access the BIOS Setup Utility
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/accessbios.htm
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:23:28 pm by zorgon »

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2013, 12:36:45 pm »
But you say you cannot access DOS commands... DOS commands are on the motherboard, in the bios chips.  They have to be or you wouldn't be able to load a new hard drive

Installing a HD is easy  you just have to set the jumpers. It matters not the manufacture, Bur if you cannot access the bios DOS commands by pressing F8 on bootup then you may have a board issue.
No access BIOS!  FFS   :o

I think it used to be the delete key on one of my old PCs...

Offline 1Worldwatcher

• Gold 145
  • "Why are we all here? Because we ain't all there!"
    • Inception Radio Live-Chat
« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2013, 12:45:06 pm »
Well, I went back into the "Power Shell" and "Network" stuff, Power shell has all my stuff that I use with in internet explorer, such as Favorites and and has copy & paste functions working, but IE doesn'thave it there?  ??? Could the Power Shell be the issues here, because this is one of the "NEW" things that was put on my PC, before I had never seen Power Shell as a self entity of the Programs, NOW it has the Networking and the Power shell allocated with in start up menu. Huh?

As for the MS-DOS thing, I can get it too pull up Zorgon through Safe mode in reboot F8 Function, but it shows all the NTSF stuff and networking crap, could it be the Power Shell program then?

1WW
"To know men is too have knowledge, to know self is to have insight."

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2013, 12:59:51 pm »
1)  DO YOU HAVE A COPY OF WINDOWS ON A DISK?

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #200 on: April 01, 2013, 01:02:17 pm »
2) If YES then load it into CD drive and use the REPAIR option on Windows set up

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #201 on: April 01, 2013, 01:06:24 pm »
As for the MS-DOS thing, I can get it too pull up Zorgon through Safe mode in reboot F8 Function, but it shows all the NTSF stuff and networking crap, could it be the Power Shell program then?

Network??? Power Shell??? What all dat?  THIS is what MS DOS looks like

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #202 on: April 01, 2013, 02:27:09 pm »
Yes, this is why I went into registry too see if something caught my eye, unfortunately, was nothing there. As for the loss of functions one by one, that isn't really the case. When this first started, I couldn't even get logged on to the PC. I then went through OS and rectified by restoring to an early date or time, this worked to get me back on, bu the issues started back in January , 12TH, to be exact after having to get a newer browser version of Internet Explorer for Inception Radio Network. This was something that really started the issues. I have since then gone and cleaned those things up, but with the Inception Radio thing, you had to log in or on Twitter account, now Twitter says that I signed up as an App, not a PC user, still haven't heard anything from them as of yet, but am working on it.
When I am on the NET, my tool bar does not show my "Fav's" available and can't un-collapse the venue for the information stored there, I cannot access click link accounts for such things as DL and direct view. The address bar allows me to cut but I cannot paste from cut, not even with in the home screen, but with in the Home screen, right click functions work normally, I can create PDF withimages from personal files, but can't attach such files with Email or share with in Forums or chat areas as you already know.
I have strong confidence it is either in the setting's being reconfigured or it is with in the HD program files that I can't allocate for removal. I have no MSDOS for formatting on reboot option, and when I do click in safe mode, it pulls up a whole slew of C: registries that are NTSF and Networking gibberish. I have Networking available on my PC, but I never activated it, I never have my Remote to share on, and have checked that every time I log onto the PC because of what had happened with "Z" and the Skype thing, so very vigilant about that any more.
Not sure what too make of it thus far. Just frustrating, too say the least. Have stuff I want to discuss that I have researched, requires me to be able to post Videos, Pic's and quoted Text for extrapolation on these finds and research. Bum's me out for sure. 

Can you access the windows program defaults and un-install IE8 and then re-install fresh?

1st you'll want a setup for this downloaded before you lose your browser. (Might have to get someone to do this for you on another machine).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-8

Then try going into control panel...in ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS...you can UNINSTALL IE8 and reinstall it fresh. Reinstallation may restore whatever function is corrupted.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:34:21 pm by Ellirium113 »

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #203 on: April 01, 2013, 02:41:04 pm »
Does 1WW have a F@*king Windows XP CD or not?  If so why are we still pissing about like this?  ::)

Offline 1Worldwatcher

• Gold 145
  • "Why are we all here? Because we ain't all there!"
    • Inception Radio Live-Chat
« Reply #204 on: April 01, 2013, 03:54:16 pm »
Does 1WW have a F@*king Windows XP CD or not?  If so why are we still pissing about like this?  ::)

Sorry you are so Aggravated Pim, but you should be hearing me!! LOL I a have a Windows Recovery CD, "YES!" But, using reboot and trying to repair won't allow me it gives a message that this version of Windows must be done in reboot MS-DOS program during start up, That is where I am trying to repair it, I am there, and I still get the same message, every time, no matter how many times I try.

If you are getting that perturbed with my issues , I understand, you have helped a lot for me to understand what is happening, and as far as removing IE8 Ellirium, it will only remove partial programs due to sharing of files to the system. I have had enough of the whole thing. Real Bummer from my end too PImander, don't feel you are a lone my friend.

And "Yes" 'Z' I know what Ms-DOS screen looks like, I just can't get it pulled up in normal format, it keeps bring up C: registry with NTSF and Networking crap from the registry.....

1WW
"To know men is too have knowledge, to know self is to have insight."

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #205 on: April 01, 2013, 04:59:15 pm »
Viruses, Malware etc rarely effect drives other that the c drive
Many modern virus spread through USB connected drives, to take advantage of the popular thumb drives (or whatever they call them).

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #206 on: April 01, 2013, 05:02:24 pm »
But, using reboot and trying to repair won't allow me it gives a message that this version of Windows must be done in reboot MS-DOS program during start up, That is where I am trying to repair it, I am there, and I still get the same message, every time, no matter how many times I try.
I think something like that happened to me some months ago, while reinstalling Windows on my sister's computer. The problem was a bad CD, when I tried a new one it worked.

Can you get another Windows CD from someone?

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #207 on: April 01, 2013, 05:17:00 pm »
I remain skeptical this is a virus but I must remain open to the idea...Regardless at this point what happens when you try to boot the computer from the windows CD? does it boot off the cd or the hard drive first?

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #208 on: April 01, 2013, 06:24:09 pm »
Sorry you are so Aggravated Pim, but you should be hearing me!! LOL I a have a Windows Recovery CD, "YES!"

A windows recovery disk is not the same as an original factory install disk

But, using reboot and trying to repair won't allow me it gives a message that this version of Windows must be done in reboot MS-DOS program during start up, That is where I am trying to repair it, I am there, and I still get the same message, every time, no matter how many times I try.

For that to work during startup the CD has to BOOT first before the computer does. You do NOT want the DOS command from withing windows... you need the CD to boot first from the bios chip BEFORE windows starts

The recovery disk cannot work once the windows has loaded... It should boot from the CD and give you a blue screen with options to run setup which then gives you repair or install options

And "Yes" 'Z' I know what Ms-DOS screen looks like, I just can't get it pulled up in normal format, it keeps bring up C: registry with NTSF and Networking crap from the registry.....

because you are accessing the DOS from within windows  That is why its not working. I am tempted to tell you to unplug the HD... then boot up and see what you get on the screen  You need to get into the Bios and tell your machine to boot from CD FIRST

It is frustrating from our end because what you are describing is not making sence.

To trouble shoot you need to start at the basics and find out what is working right..

Is it plugged in, does the battery work, does the fuse work; are the first three steps in fixing alarm systems :P  You would be amazed at how many systems I repaired with those three steps :D

If you have a recovery disk that keeps asking for access in reboot that means the disk wants access BEFORE your programs load and that can only be done setting the bios to boot from CD first

Anything else you do will be useless until then

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #209 on: April 01, 2013, 06:29:21 pm »
I remain skeptical this is a virus but I must remain open to the idea..

I have helped a lot of people fix computers and everytime they think its a virus or malware. So far in all the repairs I have made it has been a corrupt file, a wrongly deleted file (my wife gets first prize here... wiped out three machines in one year :P ) or some hardware deffect

Recently I found a power wire that was making intermittent contact on the C drive  Drove me nuts for some time as it was a new drive... until I moved a harness and suddenly it booted up. Changed the wire and voila  good to go.

Now I will gather up all those old PC's and Lap tops and put LINUX on them :D

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: Music You Love by RUSSO
[Today at 02:12:02 am]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]