collapse

Author Topic: Help for technical issues on your PC  (Read 114396 times)

PLAYSWITHMACHINES

Re: Help for technical issues on your PC
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2013, 05:50:51 am »
Looks like you're in good hands, freind 8)

BTW my other PC has no less than 5 devices all using IRQ 9 :o

It gets a bit cranky now & then, but basically everything works, but then i'm running W2K prof on there, which is one of the most reliable Windoze systems....

Offline 1Worldwatcher

• Gold 145
  • "Why are we all here? Because we ain't all there!"
    • Inception Radio Live-Chat
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2013, 06:12:08 am »
Looks like you're in good hands, freind 8)

That does seem to be the case, thankfully for me, I haven't got it righted yet, but am going to try the other solutions , maybe will fix the problem.

BTW my other PC has no less than 5 devices all using IRQ 9 :o

I never reset anything as far as IRQ or share settings, I have 2 wireless USB connected devices, Mouse and Head phones/Mic, but never had the issue before all the logitech upgrade happened.

It gets a bit cranky now & then, but basically everything works, but then I'm running W2K prof on there, which is one of the most reliable Windoze systems....

I don't know how to change all that stuff, but am going to get service/Operating manual for my PC ASAP, that will help me read and understand step by step, have a hard time reading, remembering as I go through trouble shooter or systems functions. Old age maybe?  ::)
One thing I do find very strange is that  when I am in my PM area for messages, it doesn't even allow me too delete messsages, even using function buttons provided by Peggy message area. I am very perturbed about this for sure, but am going through a lot of medical and family issues as well, so don't have all day long to get the problem solved, definitely don't have the funds too pay someone for too do it for me either, so, will be patient, and take notes as I take every step!! :P LOL

With Great Respect,
1Worldwatcher
"To know men is too have knowledge, to know self is to have insight."

PLAYSWITHMACHINES

« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2013, 06:54:50 am »
Since you have XP the same as on this laptop, i can help you with the menu's to do a bit of troubleshooting ;)

If you select Start-->settings-->control panel-->administrative tools, and open the 'computer management' window, you will see under 'system tools' a number of headings.

one of them is the 'event viewer' which is basically a log of everything the PC has done since it was booted up, going back several months.This is a good place to start looking, datewise ;)
It will give notice of 'services' (programs) and 'devices' (hardware).

You also have the 'device manager' for sorting out conflicts, hardware failiures, updates etc.

Now if you go to the bottom of the list (in the main Comp Management window) you will see 'services and applications'.

Open this, and open the 'services' window.
This shows you which backround progs are running, whether they are auto, manual, or disabled.

Some external software, like a driver update, can start, stop, & even disable services, including the 'alerter' service itself (!)

When you click on a particular line, it will give you info like who the software is from, wether it's auto or manual, on or off, disabled etc, further it will tell you what you can expect if this service is stopped.

They look quite innocent, but these 'services' can affect every part of the computer, & can give the biggest problems. It is quite possible that the update has disabled or stopped, a vital service that the PC needs to run the mouse etc.
You can try activating these services, or switch them to 'auto' so the system can activate or deactivate them as required.
In addition to all this, i have set my Explorer etc to 'ask before downloading anything' and i regularly trash all my cookies, this means i have to log-in again on all my favorite sites, but that's a small price to pay ;)

As for the messages on Peggy, if you 'select' (tick the box on the right), THEN it should give you the option of deleting it.
There is also a 'prune messages' pull-down button in the 'actions' button on the message page.
Not that i've used it yet, but i will have to soon, theres almost 500 in there LOL!

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2013, 09:32:43 am »
Thank you all so much for all the advice, I am still having issues, but will give these options a try. I wish there was a way to hold such website based software companies accountable for such dilemmas, it is perfectly clear, that if this type of situation would have arose with in description , I would have avoided the upgrade entirely.
My system is a dell XP professional, had a friend help me get the system going that was a tech , accidentally installed XP home edition instead, have all the Professional Service packs for Professional now, maybe should reformat anyways to get other professional options that I don't have any more. Not sure what to do, will try these other options first, and as for the Tech that it required to fix the problem, cumulatively, you guy's are all geniuses compared to my knowledge, "Group Hugs!!" :P  LOL
Won't give up, but will have to think about upgrades more intensely from now on. My M570 Logitech mouse only came with USB wireless connector, no discs too install anything, received an emailoffering me the update from logitech, thought it would be beneficial, guessed wrong.

With Great Respect for all of you,
1WW

Ensure you go to the Dell website and download all the custom drivers specific to your motherboard or all the service packs on earth won't prevent you from having issues. This may end up clearing up the mouse issue as now windows is trying to run custom hardware with generic drivers. After you install the mother board driver suite ensure you go to every OEM website for every additional device you have and look for updated drivers for those as well. This may include your monitor, keyboard, etc. Only when you can verify all the correct drivers are installed can troubleshooting continue other wise you are beating a dead horse as far as guessing the issue.

PLAYSWITHMACHINES

« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2013, 09:41:32 am »
now windows is trying to run custom hardware with generic drivers
Yes, that could be it..

Offline 1Worldwatcher

• Gold 145
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2013, 05:49:20 am »
Hello again everyone.

Well, I have been on Family Medical Leave of Absence from work, I am battling the Insurance Company for the Short Term Disability they owe me. This has left me basically homeless and without any funds coming in, I have appealed my case and have to await their timeline for resubmission, and this could be a while before it is resolved, so, I must "FIX" this PC myself, which I have no idea what has happened.

I went into the registry for program files, and there is a NTSF file that keeps coming up. It is also categorized as a 'Power Shell' I have no Net work sharing that I personally initiated for this too have happened. I have tried to run C:/FORMAT, but this does not allow the PC to accept the Command, I have tried from Boot Menu to Reboot using CD-ROM Restore disc and it doesn't recognize the device.

I am up too my wits in frustration here, but I have no choice now but to get this issue fixed myself due to my financial woes. IS there anybody here that can tell me how to get this resolved with these issues I have mentioned by myself?

Issues:
I have no 'Right' click fold down for mouse menu options. Can't Copy & Paste, and have no Favorites available any longer on my IE tool Bar directory for quick access. Favorites 'Star' is there, but it is collapsed and can not access it for the favorites saved. Setting's aren't even available with in properties of mouse settings.

My IE is no longer showing as "e" it is a Globe with some kind of strange lines going through it. when I right click for settings, or try to open it from Control panel, it just flashes and then opens nothing. I have tried from INI files too see if accessable there, but no go, I cannot find the original Internet Explorer Icon, not even in history of programs area.

I can't format my C: drive to be reinstalled too factory.

I have registries that I "DID NOT" install for Power Shell Program. This is listed as NTSF Program File, and can't figure out how too remove the program from file and storage area, or how to get this off the system too see if this is causing the conflict's I am experiencing.

I can't use 'Reboot' to allocate or rectify the problem or get the devices I have to recognize the factory CD-ROM. When I run System HDD, it lists a plethora of things and doesn't let me log on to PC once I choose this protocol for fixing the problem.

I can not get 'DOS' prompt to reinstall factory diskette (D:/) back too it's original factory setting's.

I can not save or copy file for backed up research I have on PC for the PRC Inventors groups on either A:, D: or E: USB storage as well.

I have tried to go to the Dell Website and DL the proper stuff as you all have suggested, I get the page set, Click 'Install/Update' and nothing happens. This is also happening at the MS website, it allows some software to download, but it doesn't fix the true issues at hand that need to be rectified.

I am so frustrated with this issue, and the Insurance issues is just icing on the cake as far as I am concerned, but it has too be something that I can fix, just don't know how or what chain of action too take to get this done.

"Any Ideas Fellow PRC Member's?"

With Great Respect,
1Worldwatcher

Offline starwarp2000

• Ollam Fodhla
  • Pegasus Alternate Energy Team
  • Gold 151
  • Omnes Tuum Bases
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2013, 06:06:55 am »
Man! 1WorldWatcher! That is a list of faults!
Can you even reboot and hit F8 on reboot to get a boot menu?
Then you can start Windows in Safe mode?

Sounds like some major virus has screwed your install  :(
Sit down before fact like a small child, and be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature lead, or you will learn nothing. —T. H. Huxley

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2013, 06:10:53 am »
1WW

Do you have a flash pen USB drive mate?  There is a pretty easy way to sort this if you do.

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2013, 06:19:55 am »
Without an origional windows CD restoring this will be difficult to say the least. It sounds like windows is corrupted and likely badly fragmented. IF you can get into the diagnostic screens you may try running disk defragmenter which might reassign files to their proper locations and restore some functionality. Then run scandisk and reboot. This may only fix some of the issues I'm afraid. You might also be able to do this through SAFEMODE by pressing F8 while windows is just about to start it's boot sequence. It will load the basics and might give you more functionality in there to do what you need to do. The last resort option is to find another copy of windows XP PRO or higher and either install it using a dual-boot option or wipe the drive and do a fresh install. Whatever it is I would recommend a low level format and flush it out completely. To do this you will need a windows CD and re-write the file allocation tables to the drives. (If you have no windows CD available there is always torrent sites as absolute last ditch effort). Although I don't recommend pirated software sometimes it is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission in that if this is not for a home business they likely will offer to sell you a legit copy at a reduced price. They did this for for my father in-law all he had to do was tell them his legit copy was destroyed and gave them the old OEM key as proof he in fact owned one. They let him purchase it with credit card cheaper than he could have bought it in the stores.

I went into the registry for program files, and there is a NTSF file that keeps coming up. It is also categorized as a 'Power Shell' I have no Net work sharing that I personally initiated for this too have happened. I have tried to run C:/FORMAT, but this does not allow the PC to accept the Command, I have tried from Boot Menu to Reboot using CD-ROM Restore disc and it doesn't recognize the device.

This power shell would be for windows power saving features like turning off hard drives after 30 minutes etc. not likely for networking. Also C:/FORMAT is not the correct DOS command to wipe the drive. Your close though. it should look like this: [ C:/FORMAT C: ]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:22:05 am by Ellirium113 »

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2013, 06:32:52 am »
Can you execute "msconfig.exe"?

If you can, then you can tell Windows that the next boot should be a "safe mode" boot. You also have many options in msconfig to help you try to solve the problem.

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2013, 06:44:35 am »
Can you execute "msconfig.exe"?

If you can, then you can tell Windows that the next boot should be a "safe mode" boot. You also have many options in msconfig to help you try to solve the problem.

Got to be very careful in there. you could easily accidentally turn off something that will no longer allow it to boot period. Only modify the startup files or you may run into trouble in there.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2013, 06:56:48 am »
Got to be very careful in there. you could easily accidentally turn off something that will no longer allow it to boot period. Only modify the startup files or you may run into trouble in there.
That's why I am starting just with the safe mode option. :)

I also know that it's easy to deactivate something that is needed, I did that once with the mouse driver and once with the keyboard driver, using Autoruns. ;D

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2013, 07:01:27 am »
Just make a bootable USB drive with Linux Mint on it.  Get rid of Windows and you can stop worrying about the virus and actually use your PC.  I don't even have a virus checker installed on my system.  I only need to scan files I post on here to protect you guys. :)

Offline 1Worldwatcher

• Gold 145
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2013, 07:10:56 am »
Man! 1WorldWatcher! That is a list of faults!
Can you even reboot and hit F8 on reboot to get a boot menu?
Then you can start Windows in Safe mode?

Sounds like some major virus has screwed your install  :(

Yes, F8 function is there, but won't allow me to pull up MSDOS command prompt, goes into HDD CHK DSK scanning, nothing really alows me too do anything at all. Very frustraing, can't even Format C: for factory reset.

1WW

Offline 1Worldwatcher

• Gold 145
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2013, 07:15:38 am »
Without an origional windows CD restoring this will be difficult to say the least. It sounds like windows is corrupted and likely badly fragmented. IF you can get into the diagnostic screens you may try running disk defragmenter which might reassign files to their proper locations and restore some functionality. Then run scandisk and reboot. This may only fix some of the issues I'm afraid. You might also be able to do this through SAFEMODE by pressing F8 while windows is just about to start it's boot sequence. It will load the basics and might give you more functionality in there to do what you need to do. The last resort option is to find another copy of windows XP PRO or higher and either install it using a dual-boot option or wipe the drive and do a fresh install. Whatever it is I would recommend a low level format and flush it out completely. To do this you will need a windows CD and re-write the file allocation tables to the drives. (If you have no windows CD available there is always torrent sites as absolute last ditch effort). Although I don't recommend pirated software sometimes it is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission in that if this is not for a home business they likely will offer to sell you a legit copy at a reduced price. They did this for for my father in-law all he had to do was tell them his legit copy was destroyed and gave them the old OEM key as proof he in fact owned one. They let him purchase it with credit card cheaper than he could have bought it in the stores.

This power shell would be for windows power saving features like turning off hard drives after 30 minutes etc. not likely for networking. Also C:/FORMAT is not the correct DOS command to wipe the drive. Your close though. it should look like this: [ C:/FORMAT C: ]

Thanks Ellirium, will try that command in "Safe Mode" and see if it works (Is this through the 'RUN' option Ellirium or command prompt?), one thing is for sure, money is not available for me as of right now, Damn insurance companies!!  >:(

1WW

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56