collapse

Author Topic: Help for technical issues on your PC  (Read 114333 times)

Offline stealthyaroura

• searcher of truth
  • The Roundtable
  • Gold 63
  • open minded student of truth.
Re: Help for technical issues on your PC
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2013, 07:13:39 pm »
well thanks again ArMap and friends, i have learned a lot.shame i never got here sooner.
I am so used to just sticking in the CD that comes with a new laptop if the worst happens
and i expected this disk to contain the drivers like the last few i have used but no.

I have found a site with the drivers but there are so many i would sooner go to my local
PC repair shop and get them to write me a disk then just boot from that.
I can afford a couple of quid and i have had maybe 20 hours at trying to fix it!and i am done with it.
lesson learned.
Nikola Tesla humanitarian / Genius.
never forget this great man who gave so much
& asked for nothing but to let electricity be free for all.

Offline 1Worldwatcher

• Gold 145
  • "Why are we all here? Because we ain't all there!"
    • Inception Radio Live-Chat
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2013, 04:38:30 am »
I have recently installed a M570 Logitech gaming mouse (Wireless) too my system, I have been using it for sometime and then on January 10TH 2013, my system went crazy.
I have contacted Logitech, Have written to MS Support and even tried restore points, nothing seems too work, I can not cut & paste with right click mouse button, My Control panel doesn't display option for mouse for setting advance button issues and my internet Thumbnail Icon isn't the same as it was before.
I have been trying to rectify this issue for over a week and am having no luck.
"Any ideas about what has happened with my PC?"
Very frustrating and I am getting pretty fed up with this issue.
If there is anything I can do that I haven't thought of, would be great, one more thing, I have no option for backing up PC so can't reboot with service Pkg's, really a mind bender for me as too what comes next.

1WW
"To know men is too have knowledge, to know self is to have insight."

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2013, 09:18:19 am »
I have recently installed a M570 Logitech gaming mouse (Wireless) too my system, I have been using it for sometime and then on January 10TH 2013, my system went crazy.
I have contacted Logitech, Have written to MS Support and even tried restore points, nothing seems too work, I can not cut & paste with right click mouse button, My Control panel doesn't display option for mouse for setting advance button issues and my internet Thumbnail Icon isn't the same as it was before.
I have been trying to rectify this issue for over a week and am having no luck.
"Any ideas about what has happened with my PC?"
Very frustrating and I am getting pretty fed up with this issue.
If there is anything I can do that I haven't thought of, would be great, one more thing, I have no option for backing up PC so can't reboot with service Pkg's, really a mind bender for me as too what comes next.

1WW

Part of the problem I think is with their set point software. I had a Logitech G5 mouse that started acting up. I removed the mouse and replaced it with one of a different brand. I had left the software on the computer and found the problem was starting to happen with the other mouse. I then removed the setpoint software and the problem went away. The G5 mouse however still had the issue when I tried it too see how well it worked without the drivers. I was getting the impression from the way it would sometimes lock up the computer, that if I didn't get it rectified soon some serious damage might have resulted.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2013, 11:14:56 am »
... my internet Thumbnail Icon isn't the same as it was before.
That is suspicious, what icon does it show now?

Offline 1Worldwatcher

• Gold 145
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2013, 07:08:09 pm »
Yes ArMap, the time this had happened was with the Set Point installation. I cannot locate it on my hard drive anywhere, and cannot remove it without locating it, even restore process didn't work, really frustrating for sure.
As for the mouse settings, it has no application for setting right click processes settings, just offers the right click to be a click and stay for copy and paste scenario, but still doesn't give me regular fold down options such as Cut, Paste, Check Spell or any other options. Not like it was before.
As for the Internet Control Panel Icon, that is a Globe now with a square displaying a gray 3 green check marks and doesn't no longer give me the 'e' associated with internet Explorer as it did before. It is also not in the list, it is off too the right of the list by itself, was with in the list previously, now there is a blank space where it once was.
I have contacted Dell with the issues, and they have not contacted me as of yet, but can't understand why I can't format and reboot my PC from new state, have the disks, but won't allow this procedure to be done, advises me to clear 'C' applications and then do format, never has done this before either, I have lost the owners operation manual for my PC, so am reading from info on line to help me find out  what has happened, after days of doing this research for the problem, I finally gave up and contacted Dell with the issues. Just doesn't seem as if they are on top of the game for my scenario or something.
Any ideas of how I can locate target for the downloaded program for SetPoint? I have tried several different search operations, doesn't pull up anything associated with downloaded software from Logitech.
Thanks for your assistance ArMAp, I really don't have anywhere else to get help from and having you here too assist makes me hopeful that it is something I can get through on my own without having to bring my PC in to the shop. Don't have the finances too do that right now anyways, so, your help is greatly appreciated. ;)

ETA: "Does the keyboard have function keys too allow someone to cut and paste and use as a precursor to the mouse right click function? And if so, does anyone have the cipher for what each key does?"
I have a printer and can use this method for the mean time, but have some very intriguing information I cannot post due to current PC issues.

1WW
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:49:42 pm by 1Worldwatcher »

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2013, 09:25:26 am »
This is sounding like it could be an IRQ sharing conflict that might have resulted from a new driver or software having been installed. I have seen instances of this and resulting in garbled display as the videocard may be sharing this IRQ #. The only way this might be resolved is by going into the BIOS and checking the IRQ settings to see if any can be modified for the mouse.

PLAYSWITHMACHINES

« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2013, 10:41:14 am »
Could be an IRQ conflict.

Locating files like this can be a problem, but you should find them either in 'C/Windows/Temp' or sometimes in IE 'temporary files' or 'downloaded prog files' which is also where you will find cookies etc.
Have you tried the Device Manager in the Control Panel?

Seems something has been wiped which it needs in order to do a full 'uninstall'. If you could find this & put it back where it was you can just uninstall & re-install it.

As a rule when connecting stuff to my PC i first see if Windows finds it & can run it, before using 'install' software that's provided, and only then IF it askes for the files (normally it wants the 'inf.*' file that is the 'install' command on the CD)

Hope this helps, i'm by no means a computer expert :(

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2013, 11:15:16 am »
Could be an IRQ conflict.

Locating files like this can be a problem, but you should find them either in 'C/Windows/Temp' or sometimes in IE 'temporary files' or 'downloaded prog files' which is also where you will find cookies etc.
Have you tried the Device Manager in the Control Panel?

Seems something has been wiped which it needs in order to do a full 'uninstall'. If you could find this & put it back where it was you can just uninstall & re-install it.

As a rule when connecting stuff to my PC i first see if Windows finds it & can run it, before using 'install' software that's provided, and only then IF it askes for the files (normally it wants the 'inf.*' file that is the 'install' command on the CD)

Hope this helps, i'm by no means a computer expert :(

I believe this is something that has changed in the setpoint software as it seems to affect logitech hardware, particularly mice. Some mice DO use an IRQ # and some do not require one. This is also dependant on how many other pieces of hardware may be connected that also may require an IRQ to share such as a printer or USB hub.

Any ideas of how I can locate target for the downloaded program for SetPoint? I have tried several different search operations, doesn't pull up anything associated with downloaded software from Logitech.

This should be in the control panel under the list of installed software. (add/remove programs).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:17:21 am by Ellirium113 »

Offline Anthra

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 30
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2013, 11:39:23 am »
ETA: "Does the keyboard have function keys too allow someone to cut and paste and use as a precursor to the mouse right click function? And if so, does anyone have the cipher for what each key does?"
I have a printer and can use this method for the mean time, but have some very intriguing information I cannot post due to current PC issues.

1WW
Keyboard short-cuts: <ctrl> C = copy, <ctrl> X = cut, <crtl> V = paste.

The issue you are expirencing would seem to be little more than a "crashed" driver. Reinstall it from the original distribution disk you received with the mouse.

IF you are not finding any referance to the device driver, then it is likely that it is corrupt in the system registry. This is next to impossible to fix without the right software; go and find a decent "registry cleaner".

This does not "look" like an IRQ (interrupt request) issue, unless there is another device that is not working.

And, for what it is worth: ALL periphial devices use the IRQ structure in the machine, this is the ONLY way they can communicate with your system. Polling of devices on today's machines would  likely render the system completely useless.

Please note: I too am not a computer expert, just a retired software engineer. (well I tell everybody I'm not an expert anyway)

God luck.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2013, 03:01:18 pm »
As mentioned above:
Ctrl + C = Copy
Ctrl + X = Cut
Ctrl + V = Paste

As for the right-click, use the context menu key.

What operating system do you use?

PS: I never format a computer to solve a problem, that way I can learn something about it.  :)

PPS: see if this helps.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:04:31 pm by ArMaP »

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2013, 04:53:32 pm »

This does not "look" like an IRQ (interrupt request) issue, unless there is another device that is not working.

In the situation of shared IRQ priority will be given to the device that REQUIRES the IRQ. If the new device requires the same IRQ and it is not available it does not necessarily mean BOTH pieces of hardware are going to lock up. The one that has already been assigned the IRQ may continue to function while the one requesting the IRQ may not have all of it's function or it may have none at all. This may depend on the reliability of your BIOS and how it handles IRQ distribution.

And, for what it is worth: ALL peripheral devices use the IRQ structure in the machine, this is the ONLY way they can communicate with your system. Polling of devices on today's machines would  likely render the system completely useless.

USB mice (in the past) used to rely on an IRQ because they were a port over from the legacy systems where EVERYTHING ran on an IRQ. today that is no longer the case with plug & play. Some USB devices require NO IRQ at all and a lot of BIOS settings now will allow you to manually select if you want legacy USB support to which an IRQ will be assigned.

Please note: I too am not a computer expert, just a retired software engineer. (well I tell everybody I'm not an expert anyway

God luck.

I never wanted to be one by choice....I got sick of getting ripped off by computer places that would charge exorbitant fees for minimal work that I could do myself. The extensive amount of pain I went through dealing with these legacy hardware lockups forced me to learn it to resolve my own issues. There is however a couple of things that may also cause similar problems but I am not thinking we need to get into that yet.  :P Incidentally I DID end up taking courses on all this stuff and starting a home based business.

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2013, 05:42:50 pm »

Rabun County trout fishing (marginphoto)

From a local mountain friend:

Let me warn you about a new virus that has been encountered, which 99% of the folks will not be able to handle.

I encountered it Friday, while looking at some USGS topo maps. Suddenly a screen broke in with the head logo…

FBI…you have been doing all these things that are against “copy write” laws and you are subject to investigation and arrest.

It went on from there and then toward the bottom it offered to unlock my computer by sending an address $200, either check, money order or PayPal.

It so thoroughly locked up my computer that I could not get in to it even by reloading my OS.

I spent six hours yesterday working with a friend who has some special programs that enabled him to first scan the hard drive, after we loaded it into the removable drive on one of his computers, then he used another program to try and recover the operating system, back to a restore point from last week.

He is still working on it today, and may or may not be able to recover it. If he can’t, I’ve lost my existing emails, my pictures, my Word files and a whole bunch of other things.

Suffice to say, if this thing gets downloaded, automatically since that is the way most people have their computer set, there are going to be a few million people tearing out their hair.

You might want to warn everyone you want to be warned, but what ever you do, as I understand it, this is thing may be using Adobe as a blind. Another computer guru is the person who told me it might be attached to a false Adobe update.

As soon as I can figure it out, I’ll let you know…in the meantime I’m not letting Adobe do any updating.   :P

Kathryn -??After receiving the e-mail through Town Crier about the very dangerous virus that is locking up computers and may somehow be attached somehow with Adobe, I forwarded it to our son & our nephew who are both highly qualified computer professionals. 

Below are their replies and advice to me.  ??

Son's reply:??
Yes, this is a real virus, and no I don't think it has anything really to do with Adobe software. There are lots of variants, but all of them can be removed. I think it is pretty rare.

All the information is here at this link:??http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-the-fbi-moneypak-ransomware-virus-fake-fbi-malware-removal/ ??

It has has links to the anti-virus and anti-malware software that can remove it (as well as manual removal instructions), although Microsoft Security Essentials, Spybot S&D, and just about all current anti-virus and anti-malware software should detect it too. Anyway, just send this link to anyone who says that they might have that virus.
??

Nephew's reply:
If you ever get a prompt asking for a credit card or paypal payment, shut off the pc.

Yes, that is a real virus. If you pay, they will debit you the $200.00 (or whatever the amount), but will NOT unlock the pc. Instead, they usually "brick" the machine (make it unusable).

(My note:  I expect  my nephew who lives nearby would have suggested the same link (or a similar one as my son did) but he simply said I should call him if it happened to me and he would come disinfect our computers and recover lost data.

Our Solution:

Chamisa fixes it.
Just have them call my cell (706 982 5040)
or go see Randy at the shop in Clayton, GA. ?706 782 0065.?

Tim Cook, CEO, Chamisa, Inc.?
www.Chamisa.co
tim@chamisa.co

Chamisa repairs what is compromised when a virus bypasses the installed antivirus software. This is a repair-only, single use product that removes itself from the user's computer upon completion. A repair log is generated and stored on the user's computer.

Chamisa takes 5 or more hours to repair a user's computer.

Why? Because that's how long it takes to truly fix a computer, not 15 minutes like our competitors’ “Bandaid™ for a broken arm” approach.   :P

And we not only use and endorse this product, Capt. Tim is family from Key West now an integral part of TEAM RABUN.    8)

Peace Love Light
tfw
      Liberty & Equality or Revolution
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2013, 06:00:33 pm »
If that's anything like the ones I saw in several computers last year, it's not really a virus and is easily removed by hand, like the link you posted shows.

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2013, 06:08:18 pm »
Embedded malware on a site with crappy security no doubt.

Offline 1Worldwatcher

• Gold 145
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2013, 05:37:54 am »
Thank you all so much for all the advice, I am still having issues, but will give these options a try. I wish there was a way to hold such website based software companies accountable for such dilemmas, it is perfectly clear, that if this type of situation would have arose with in description , I would have avoided the upgrade entirely.
My system is a dell XP professional, had a friend help me get the system going that was a tech , accidentally installed XP home edition instead, have all the Professional Service packs for Professional now, maybe should reformat anyways to get other professional options that I don't have any more. Not sure what to do, will try these other options first, and as for the Tech that it required to fix the problem, cumulatively, you guy's are all geniuses compared to my knowledge, "Group Hugs!!" :P  LOL
Won't give up, but will have to think about upgrades more intensely from now on. My M570 Logitech mouse only came with USB wireless connector, no discs too install anything, received an emailoffering me the update from logitech, thought it would be beneficial, guessed wrong.

With Great Respect for all of you,
1WW

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]