collapse

Author Topic: Help for technical issues on your PC  (Read 114270 times)

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
Re: Help for technical issues on your PC
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2012, 02:27:50 pm »
The best way to get vids off YouTube, if you have Flash issues, is to use a browser plugin that adds a "Download Video" button directly under the video player and disbale Flash. That's what I do in Firefox when I want to download for later viewing I just don't disable Flash because I have zero issues with it.

Some things I think need mentioning though:

Someone said 1 gig of ram isn't enough for XP? It's more than enough. Vista or Windows 7, they require 1 gig minimum. Now if you do a lot of photo/video editing, I'm talking pics that can be hundreds of megs in size or even a gig. Then yeah, 1 gig of ram with XP is too low. For video watching and any other basic usage, perfectly fine.

Don't waste money buying any ram for a system that's running XP. You could go buy Windows 7 or even a small netbook for just a little bit more. Hell or give one of the many distros of Linux a try.

2.) The only thing getting rid of that Flash connected virus or whatever it is would be a complete system restore. Not the built in Windows restore stuff. The full blown system format. Usually there's a restore disc or hard drive partition included on the PC to do it. No anti-virus out there is perfect.

That's my 2 cents worth

I take it you must work on computers a LOT.  ::)

Offline baddmove

• Regular Members
  • Gold 0
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2012, 06:07:44 pm »
You should all try  pcpitstop.com ,, it is a great and TRUSTWORTHY site. I have been a member there for over 8 years  and i use the software called PCMATIC,, best in the world..keeps all your drivers up to date and has the best malware checker, plus it will check your p.c. to make sure all of your internet conections are right, worth the 50$ a year for 5 p.c.'s!!  just my humble opinion....

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2012, 10:41:08 pm »
You should all try  pcpitstop.com ,, it is a great and TRUSTWORTHY site. I have been a member there for over 8 years  and i use the software called PCMATIC,, best in the world..keeps all your drivers up to date and has the best malware checker, plus it will check your p.c. to make sure all of your internet conections are right, worth the 50$ a year for 5 p.c.'s!!  just my humble opinion....

Thank You for the suggestion.  Sadly, I am presently without job, virtually without home (sleeping on the floor in a corner of a friend's place), and literally penniless.  No bank accounts, no PayPal, no credit card.  [sigh]

And presently...no Windows.  Running a crappy Linux shell at the moment.  Working on getting Windows XP Home to fix Windows.
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2012, 05:59:34 am »
Help is here
Check your PM
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2012, 07:43:56 am »
Thank You for the suggestion.  Sadly, I am presently without job, virtually without home (sleeping on the floor in a corner of a friend's place), and literally penniless.  No bank accounts, no PayPal, no credit card.  [sigh]

And presently...no Windows.  Running a crappy Linux shell at the moment.  Working on getting Windows XP Home to fix Windows.

My dear Amaterasu, we have already been through all this. If you fail to listen to what I have told you, you WILL drop that PC to it's knees and be without one completely. Although all these people have good intentions to help you I have done the homework on your PC to determine what your issues were and I have identified hardware issues that you have failed to acknowledge. Therefore all this additional help is rendering your machine to have less and less rescources when you already have inadequate rescources run sufficiently. Overheating video and only 512MB of RAM can and will cause some ghosting on your screen. All the scanners, spyware managers etc. aren't going to do squat for your underpowered rig. At this point the damage is likely pretty severe from all the installing and uninstalling of all these programs which still have not fixed your PC. That should tell you something. Best of luck to you.

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2012, 07:55:08 am »
Yes, Ellirium, and I thank You for that.  It's just that I had a Flash virus that the one program found but would not delete unless I upgraded, and I had 8 rootkits, and I tried to fix the rootkit thing, and it blew Windows out of the water.  So Now I am on a Linux shell that won't let Me do anything - including go to yahoo mail - says the certificate has been pulled and will not go to the mail page.

Well.  I will see what I can do with the help of My friend.  Hopefully We can restore Windows.
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2012, 08:01:24 am »
Yes, Ellirium, and I thank You for that.  It's just that I had a Flash virus that the one program found but would not delete unless I upgraded, and I had 8 rootkits, and I tried to fix the rootkit thing, and it blew Windows out of the water.  So Now I am on a Linux shell that won't let Me do anything - including go to yahoo mail - says the certificate has been pulled and will not go to the mail page.

Well.  I will see what I can do with the help of My friend.  Hopefully We can restore Windows.

I'll have to look into this Flash virus...Admittedly we were supposed to look at that and I dropped the ball there and forgot to do that. Does windows load at all or are you strictly using this linux shell now?

Try hitting F8 while the computer boots and see if you can get into SAFE MODE.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:04:29 am by Ellirium113 »

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2012, 08:14:13 am »
We have tried booting in safe mode.  It doesn't do that.  Windows will not boot.  Presently I am running Linux off a utilities disk.

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2012, 08:16:11 am »
We have tried booting in safe mode.  It doesn't do that.  Windows will not boot.  Presently I am running Linux off a utilities disk.

:( That's not good. I guess we won't worry about the flash virus then. Might as well back up what you can and reformat when you get a chance. Make sure to go to your laptop's OEM website and grab the needed drivers etc.

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2012, 08:23:43 am »
[sigh] I can't do that.  I lose the one program I need.  Photoshop.  And I need Word.  And several other programs would be a hardship to lose.  We will see if We can't get something to help.  We may have a copy of WXP Home coming from a friend of My friend's.

Cosmic4life

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2012, 08:25:51 am »

I hope you find a job and from that an apartment very soon Amy.

On the other hand you are as free as you will ever be.....no ties to the machine.

Get yourself a cheap laptop.....they're very powerful these days and mobile.

Cosmic..

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2012, 08:27:10 am »
My dear Amaterasu, we have already been through all this.

If you fail to listen to what I have told you, you WILL drop that PC to it's knees and be without one completely.

She's close to that now...

Although all these people have good intentions to help you, I have done the homework on your PC to determine what your issues were and I have identified hardware issues that you have failed to acknowledge.

Ditto

Therefore all this additional help is rendering your machine to have less and less rescources when you already have inadequate rescources run sufficiently.

Not if the clean-up is done correctly.

Overheating video and only 512MB of RAM (where did you find this? See below.)

can and will cause some ghosting on your screen.

All the scanners, spyware managers etc. aren't going to do squat for your underpowered rig. At this point the damage is likely pretty severe from all the installing and uninstalling of all these programs which still have not fixed your PC.

That should tell you something.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you, Ellirium.

We will take a step back here and let you lead our Dear Amy through this, this time.

You appear to be more qualified than we might be.

From May 28, 2012:

The software we sent you should identify and eliminate any virus without an upgrade.

Your computer:

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

76477-OEM-0011903-0011

Tosiba Satellite
Intel(R) Pentium(R)M
Processor 1.86 GH
782 MHZ
0.99 GB of RAM

We suspect that your PC is suffering from lack of horsepower, not a virus.

Although, we question the 0.99 GB RAM.

Best of luck to you.

Please don't abandon her as she obviously needs assistance.

Standing by...

tfw

EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2012, 08:41:11 am »
512MB of RAM (where did you find this? See below.)

Actually she had less than 400MB of RAM lleft for rescources. Her total installed RAM is 1GB with shared video using some.

When she tried to run a flash video in chrome it was relying strictly on virtual memory as she literally had no physical memory left.

I am not abandoning her at all... I have gone through great lengths to help her keep her machine running. I have not had sucess in restorations and usually had to reformat most drives in instances like this. Hopefully there is someone here that has had more luck than me in this.

Offline LSWONE

• Gold 85
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2012, 08:47:31 am »
HI Ellirium,

Have you been able to remote in to look around or just send her instructions to follow?

Amaterasu,
Just sent you PM.

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2012, 08:50:14 am »
Thank You both.  My friend is A+ certified, but has limited resources.  And yes, I have 1 gig of ram.  (Well, .99...)

It was My fault for not asking Him when I deleted the files I did.  He probably would NOT have deleted them.  But He was sleeping and I thought the software knew best...  From now on, I'm not doing anything on My own with this machine.

Cosmic, I would love to get a new machine with the software I need on it.  But unless it's free, I do not have the money.  I have applied to over 50,000 jobs in the last 6+ years since I was laid off, have lost My family, my possessions (except for the computer, some bedding and some clothes), My home.  No One is hiring an arthritic old lady (who cannot do any job requiring standing more than 1/2 hour at a time) when They have 50 other applicants all 20- or 30- or 40-something.  I am LITERALLY penniless.  And I mean that specifically and...LITERALLY.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]