collapse

Author Topic: Help for technical issues on your PC  (Read 114314 times)

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
Re: Help for technical issues on your PC
« Reply #255 on: October 27, 2014, 03:43:22 pm »
512MB of RAM is not much memory to play with. It will be using your hard drive as a buffer for anything over that it needs so be prepared to go through many cups of coffee as your hair and nails grow waiting for it to finish loading programs you try and run.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #256 on: October 27, 2014, 06:34:52 pm »
This old thing only haves 512 of ram :P
What's the operating system?

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #257 on: October 27, 2014, 08:08:09 pm »
What's the operating system?

There is only one use (other than gold scrap) for old computers

A computer shooting game...

]

PS  You can still get the scrap gold after   8)

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #258 on: October 28, 2014, 04:48:34 am »
There is only one use (other than gold scrap) for old computers
My old computers are converted to web servers. :)

A web server with only the essential services needs less resources than a general purpose system.

Offline Back

• Gold 95
« Reply #259 on: October 28, 2014, 03:25:38 pm »
z

You don't know how much I wish I could just scrap these old computers :'(

I am on a limited budjet and I have to have comp axcess for my children for school.

It may be slooow but then they are not on my comp ;D

I just need to know what browser uses the least amount of ram.

with no surport for xp I am running windows 7 ultama. om a Compaqr3410.

And they say it cant be done :P

IE is using 17 percent of my ram.

So back to the question what uses less ram?

Bless
Back

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #260 on: October 28, 2014, 04:19:58 pm »

You don't know how much I wish I could just scrap these old computers :'(
I am on a limited budjet and I have to have comp axcess for my children for school.

Understood/  Have you snooped around thrift stores for computers and /or parts?

Also repair shops often have REALLY good deals on rebuilt machines they do from spare parts  Bought a Dell for $200 that came with Windows 7 Quad core Pentium process 4 gigs ram and  a 750 Gig harddrive

I just need to know what browser uses the least amount of ram.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #261 on: October 28, 2014, 04:31:48 pm »
From what I found yesterday, it looks like Firefox is the browser that uses less memory, but, from my experience, it's the one with memory leaks, so if left open for too long it starts getting more and more memory. As I never shutdown my computer, only suspend it, so, to me, that was a problem. :)

It may also be a problem if you open many tabs at the same time.

PS: you can also look at lightweight browsers. :)

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
  • Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    • PEGASUS RESEARCH CONSORTIUM
« Reply #262 on: October 28, 2014, 05:51:17 pm »
From what I found yesterday, it looks like Firefox is the browser that uses less memory, but, from my experience, it's the one with memory leaks, so if left open for too long it starts getting more and more memory. As I never shutdown my computer, only suspend it, so, to me, that was a problem. :)

It may also be a problem if you open many tabs at the same time.

PS: you can also look at lightweight browsers. :)

Thats when firefox not "decides" to crash and close due to the many tabs issue. I dropped the firefox. Now im using Chrome. After 2 weeks what i can say is that it is more stable, no crashes so far. IE i never gave a try because i had so many problems in the past that i just can even see the logo.

Takes some time to fit chrome... Install some extensions like ghostery, adblock, etc and adjust preferences... But im pretty happy with the results.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #263 on: October 28, 2014, 06:37:42 pm »
I never had any problems with IE. :)

Now, the browsers I use the most are Opera Next, IE and Chrome, with Opera Next being the one I use the most. It's based on Chromium, the same code used by Chrome, but with many changes made by the Opera programmers, and, even if it's still missing many of the great features the original Opera had, is my favourite. :)

Offline Wrabbit2000

• Gold 53
  • Just a fun loving kind of Rabbit.
« Reply #264 on: October 28, 2014, 06:47:23 pm »
I personally settled back on using chrome. I tried Firefox for awhile, then Waterfox (Which I liked better than FF itself) but they both ended up bogging down too quickly with tabs and extensions.

Chrome seems to run smoother, even if privacy becomes something like wishful thinking by default. (literally!..lol) Heck..I just started using Google's DNS servers too. Why not benefit from the speed and stability when their browser gives them the same data already, anyway. (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for anyone not into networking enough to know them)

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #265 on: October 29, 2014, 02:26:15 am »
If you like the way it works you can use any browser based on Chromium, like Opera Next or Comodo Dragon.

Offline Back

• Gold 95
« Reply #266 on: October 29, 2014, 01:57:46 pm »
Z

Thanks for that chart. Just what I needed.

The thrift shop thing don't work for me. I am a country boy. The nearest shop is in the city about 30 miles away. There is a comp recycling place that I do business with when I have enough scrap for trade. I do find things at yard sales.

Heck any comp with a core 2 would be an upgrade for me :P

Bless
Back

space otter

« Reply #267 on: December 01, 2015, 05:43:07 pm »

probably none of you tech guys still have flash anyway  but non tech like me still do.. well did till I just now dumped it...sigh
I guess my mahjong games are down the tubes for now..but that does explain the blue screen and tracking cookies that I kept getting and having to deal with..sigh

so any advice  is good advice..but please do it so that tech morons like me can use it..thanks

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/adobe-is-telling-people-to-stop-using-flash/ar-AAfTImb?li=BBnb7Kz
The Verge
Jacob Kastrenakes
6 hrs ago

Adobe is telling people to stop using Flash

Adobe is finally ready to say goodbye to Flash. In an announcement last night, Adobe said that it will now "encourage content creators to build with new web standards," such as HTML5, rather than Flash. It's also beginning to deprecate the Flash name by renaming its animation app to Animate CC, away from Flash Professional CC.

The following plugin has crashed

Flash has been slowly dying over the past decade, in part due to an absence of support on smartphones and in part because it's kind of become a scourge of the internet. Though Flash initially had great success as a tool for creating web games and animations, it has a number of downsides that have stood out more and more each year. Flash pages and players can be slow to load and a big drain on laptop batteries. More importantly, Flash has continually been subject to security issues, making it a major risk for anyone browsing the web.

Adobe is by no means doing away with Flash — that's ultimately up to web developers. Instead, this announcement is more an acknowledgement of reality. HTML5 has been taking Flash's place as the go-to tool for animation and interactivity; it's an all-around better choice, and it's an open standard.

By acknowledging that Flash is dying, Adobe is able to better position its animation tools for the future. Flash Professional CC is already capable of creating HTML5 content — in fact, it already represents a third of all content created in the app, according to Adobe. By taking up the name Animate CC, Adobe is able to sell Flash Professional CC as a general animation tool, rather than a tool geared toward Flash. The name change will take effect early next year.

Flash itself will not be changing, and Adobe is continuing to support it. However, it sounds like that support will most heavily focus on security. Adobe says it will be working with Microsoft and Google to maintain Flash's compatibility and security inside of web browsers. It's also going to be working with Facebook to make sure that Flash games remain secure. Adobe says that it expects to see Flash use continue, for now, in web gaming and "premium" video, because HTML5 or other standards "have yet to fully mature" to meet those areas' needs.

??

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
« Reply #268 on: February 24, 2016, 03:41:42 pm »
Is there a  most common place where most Spyware and Viruses are installed?

Some AV, Spyware or Malware programs seemed to or used to have to scan ones whole system that may take some time to complete the full scan.

On some Antivirus or malware spyware programs..(seems more so now) you can just select certain folders or files as to where one want to concentrate the scan..ie what folders you want  to check..

When I have had such spyware malware issues in the past, they have often been found in the windows System 32 folder..

Would any of the more experienced in such things generally agree if there does seem to be a more likely place to check when running such programs..

I say this as many programs can take several hours to run in full..and sometimes one may have a case of their computer being almost totally hardly performing...

but sometimes if you can target an area fast with such AV programs it can help detect viruses quickly to at least allow the computer to perform better.

I am trying one called spybot at moment...on my other computer...and I was able to select windows system 32 folder... but even just checking this... it says it will take a long time to run.. as it comes up with such a mesage prior to running it..

It says it will be over 6000 files..

If I was to fully scan the whole system in such a detailed check, it will take days I would imagine...

some other AV product scans are much shorter between 1 to 7 hrs ..so I suspect that they only check certain parts of ones system..

This link suggests viruses can generally be found anywhere..but from my past experiences, I would have to agree most past issues where found in Windows System 32..

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=A9mSs2WHLc5WtYIAu6lLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTEzbzYxN3RiBGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwM0BHZ0aWQDVUlDVUsxXzEEc2VjA3Ny?qid=20070928044542AAkdjDl&p=is%20most%20viruses%20spyware%20found%20in%20system%2032

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 05:08:17 pm by astr0144 »

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #269 on: February 24, 2016, 04:42:03 pm »
Spybot is an excellent program. I use it in conjunction with Norton and haven't had any issues even browsing sights where the antivirus warning is picking up all sorts of things.

One thing that is recommended though is to turn off your system restore. If a Trojan resides in there the antivirus may not touch it. If it is turned off, no trojan can reside there period.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter