collapse

Author Topic: Aspartame has been Renamed and is Now Being Marketed as a Natural Sweetener  (Read 9657 times)

sky otter

Re: Aspartame has been Renamed and is Now Being Marketed as a Natural Sweetener
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 09:50:20 am »

hey johnny C
great story..thank you
and glad to hear you figured it out

my sister was a juvenile diebetic at 4 yrs old and as kids we learnt all kinds of stuff about food
and it kinda made me a health nut investigator thur life
now i use raw sugar (unbleached cane sugar) and unbleached coffee filters and as natural
 as i can get with most things..no plastics just glass for storage and drinking

reading labels takes forever when shopping for a new product..but it's all worth it

but my latest gripe was with bryers ice cream that had three ingredients listed..it has now gone to
being labeled as frozen dessert and the list is two inches long...sigh

i'm sure you can tell us more
 ;D

sky otter

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 08:27:31 am »

sigh... this should be unbelievable..but it's not..we're f****** doomed

Aspartame In Milk A Possibility As Dairy Industry Seeks Approval
The Huffington Post  |  By Bonnie Kavoussi Posted: 02/26/2013 12:00 pm EST
 |  Updated: 02/27/2013 8:17 am EST

Last week, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) acknowledged a 2009 petition from the International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA) and the National Milk Producers Federation seeking permission to include artificial sweeteners in milk and other dairy products. The groups seek to use aspartame in milk but retain the ability to label their products as "milk."

The FDA asked for data related to Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners last week.

The agency currently lets the dairy industry use the "milk" label only for beverages with ingredients that have calories, like sugar and high-fructose corn syrup.

Aspartame is used in a range of products including diet soda and yogurt and is sold to consumers under the brand-name Equal (which also includes some other ingredients). Some researchers have found that artificial sweeteners alter people's brain chemistry making them crave higher-calorie foods, which in turn makes them more prone to obesity and diabetes.

The dairy lobby argues the opposite, claiming that allowing aspartame in milk would make it a healthier product and reduce childhood obesity by offering milk with fewer calories.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/26/aspartame-milk_n_2764729.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 04:10:09 pm »
Hi Amy,

As you have already started a thread on Aspartame...

Maybe I should add this to your thread rather than start another..and I give a link to Alex Jones thread that discusses it...

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/forum/index.php?topic=1483.msg52206#msg52206

Artificial Sweeteners in Milk?

Got diet milk? In a highly controversial move, the dairy industry wants to market artificially sweetened milk—without any special label to alert consumers.

In a petition filed with the FDA, the International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA) and the National Milk Producers Federation (NMPF) seek to change the definition of “milk” so that chemical sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose can be used as optional ingredients not listed on the product label.

If the petition—originally filed in 2009 and now under consideration by the FDA—is successful, these hidden additives could also be included in 17 other dairy products—including whipping cream, low-fat and non-fat yogurt, eggnog, sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, and half-and-half—without requiring any special labeling.

The Truth about 4 Natural Sweeteners
A Move to Boost Kid Appeal of Milk Products

The dairy industry contends that using artificial sweeteners like aspartame as optional ingredients in milk and other dairy foods without any special labeling would “promote more healthy eating” and boost kid appeal. Currently, milk consumption is dropping among both children and adults.

In part, the petition states:

IDFA and NMPF argue that nutrient content claims such as "reduced calorie" are not attractive to children and maintain that consumers can more easily identify the overall nutritional value of milk products that are flavored with non-nutritive sweeteners if the labels do not include such claims. Further, the petitioners assert that consumers do not recognize milk—including flavored milk—as necessarily containing sugar. Accordingly, the petitioners state that milk flavored with non-nutritive sweeteners should be labeled as milk without further claims so that consumers can "more easily identify its overall nutritional value.”

The goal of the petition is to persuade the FDA to drop a requirement that milk and other dairy products be labeled as “artificially sweetened” if they contain aspartame or other calorie-free sugar substitutes. Last week, the FDA asked the public to submit comments and data about using artificial sweeteners in dairy foods. So far, there is no FDA ruling on the petition.

Currently, dairy producers can label products as “milk” if they are unsweetened or contain sweeteners with calories, such as high-fructose syrup or sugar, according to the Huffington Post. Examples of sweetened dairy products include chocolate or strawberry milk and flavored yogurts.

In addition, aspartame and other chemical sweeteners can currently be used in dairy products as long as they are clearly labeled accordingly.

Healthy Lunch Ideas for Kids
Health Risks of Diet Drinks and Aspartame

Aspartame is a chemical sweetener that’s widely used in diet soda and other low-cal foods, including yogurt. It’s about 200 times sweeter than sugar and was originally sold under the brand name NutraSweet. At least 90 countries have declared it safe, but several new and recent studies link artificially sweetened drinks (particularly soda) to a wide range of health threats.

While not yet carved in scientific stone, the emerging evidence is disturbing. Here’s a rundown:

Higher risk for type 2 diabetes. While the link between sugar-laden drinks and diabetes is well-known, a new study by French researchers also finds that sugar-free soft drinks also boost the threat. The study, to be published in American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, tracked 66,118 women over a period of 14 years. While sipping both diet and regular soda magnified risk, the diet drinkers had higher risk for diabetes. However, this type of study is not designed to prove a cause-and-effect relationship.

Top 10 Diabetes Superfoods

Link with depression. A new study funded by the National Institutes of Health, involving more than 260,000 adults ages 50 to 71, surveyed beverage drinking habits. Ten years later, the participants were asked if they had been diagnosed with depression. Those who reported swilling four or more cans of soda daily were 30 percent more likely to develop depression than those who shunned soda. Overall, risk was higher in people who drank any of the diet beverages studied (soda, iced tea, and fruit drinks), compared to those who sipped the full-calorie versions. Drinking unsweetened coffee, on the other hand, was linked to a 10 percent lower rate of the mood disorder, prompting the researchers to recommend dieting and grabbing a cup of joe.

Heart Attack and Stroke: Drinking diet sodas daily may increase the risks for heart attack and stroke and other vascular events by 43 percent, but no such threat exists with regular soft drinks or with less frequent consumption of diet soda. These results come from a study including more than 2,500 adults published online in the Journal of General Internal Medicine on January 30, 2012. So far, no one knows what it is about diet sodas that could explain the added risk.

7 Warning Signs of a Heart Attack

Kidney Trouble: In 2009, researchers at Harvard found that drinking two or more diet sodas daily could lead to a 30 percent drop in a measure of kidney function in women. No accelerated decline was seen in women who drank less than two diet sodas daily. The drop held true even after the researchers accounted for age, high blood pressure, diabetes, and physical activity.

Preterm Delivery: A Danish study including more than 59,000 women found a link between drinking one or more diet sodas daily and a 38 percent increase in the risk of giving birth to preterm babies; the risk was 78 percent higher among pregnant women who drank four or more diet sodas daily. No such risk was seen with regular soda.

What Causes Erectile Dysfunction?

Weight Gain: Wouldn’t it be ironic if instead of helping you lose weight, diet drinks had the opposite effect? A study at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio found that compared to those who drank no diet sodas, study participants who did had a 70 percent greater increase in waist circumference; worse, drinking two or more diet sodas daily led to ballooning waist circumference that was 500 percent greater than those who drank none. This doesn’t prove that diet soda is to blame since the study was observational—it could be that participants began gaining weight and then started drinking diet sodas.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/artificial-sweeteners-milk

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 05:58:57 pm »
Soft kill.  Anything and everything They can think of to kill Us "softly."

Bet that, despite HUGE popular opposition, They will pass this.
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline Somamech

• Order of the Mystic Star
  • Gold 337
The Problem is the people more so than the law. 

Eat Fruit instead of sweetening the non sweet ;)

...heck in one month of consuming a "SLACK" high fruit diet I have noticed less hair fall out my hair brush  :)

Fruit is all around You:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUrDH7VTorc[/youtube]

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
Eat Fruit instead of sweetening the non sweet ;)
My grandmother got diabetes after a fruit diet.

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337

What else did she eat  :P

Offline burntheships

• Administrator
  • Gold 277

Too much fruit will do you in, and Fruit Juice, especially from concentrate
has too much sugar, and will bring on diabetes.
"This is the Documentary Channel"
- Zorgon

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
Peggy experiment...

After I have eaten too much fruit I will report my diet back to you all.  Going by the general consensus i should be dead  ;)

Right now I have less hair falling out, more energy and ability to recover from exercise is through the roof!  and i am losing weight slowly. 

I am living the american dream so to speak :P

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
What else did she eat  :P
I don't know (I always knew her as a diabetic), but I doubt she didn't eat anything else. :)

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
and i am losing weight slowly.
Losing weight may be a sign of diabetes.

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
Losing weight may be a sign of diabetes.

I do understand what ya say mate ;)

But in my case losing a few kg is a good thing !

I will run the Melbourne Marathon in October whilst wearing a Pegasus Singlet to prove it !

That is my promise to the folke here to prove that fruit aint so bad ;)

sky otter

too much of any one thing is not good

ya gotta have balance

....................................................................................

totally off topic but soma started it... ;)

Soma..can't wait to see the pics...
especially if the illustrious potentate (zorg)
has the tee shirts ready....
i'll wear one and cheer from here and we can all post pics..
now this topic deserves it's own spot..somewhere
maybe a new section

personal derring do's

bwhahahahahaha

but i still want one of those tee shirts

hey zorg..just for you

;) ;D 8)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
T Shirts are easy  just need first order of 12 :D to cover setup costs

sky otter

can we see the front pic and the price..?

i want two in xl

now you need 10 more  8)

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56