collapse

Author Topic: Earthquake Swarm In SoCal could it be the big one?  (Read 7233 times)

Offline rdunk

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 389
Re: Earthquake Swarm In SoCal could it be the big one?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 08:46:20 pm »
well that's not looking good.  any reports from the area?  they need disaster relief?

I  have no info yet on the quake - just saw it on the USGS link posted in the OP.

This quake was at a depth of about 20 km- that compares to 24 km for the relatively recent Japanese Quake. 

Here is one of the reports, which discusses some of the quakes which are occurring in California.

http://earthquake-report.com/2012/08/26/powerful-earthquake-swarm-in-southern-california-mexico-border/4647319/

Offline rdunk

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 389
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 08:48:08 pm »
it was 12 miles deep, 86 miles off the coast, in the water.  generated a 3.4 inch tsunami.   so seems like everything's okay.

That sounds very good!

Offline burntheships

• Administrator
  • Gold 277
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 10:48:00 pm »
Im going to say it, I woke hubby up in the wee hours of the morning,
said...that feels like an earthquake.

I muttered in his sleep..."sure sweetheart".

I think I felt this! I am in Nor Cal, and have a
wee bit of Indian blood in me yet.
"This is the Documentary Channel"
- Zorgon

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 01:39:44 am »
Strong quake shakes El Salvador

A strong magnitude-7.4 earthquake struck off the coast of El Salvador and a tsunami warning was issued but there were no immediate reports of damage or injuries, authorities said early Monday.

A tsunami warning was in effect for Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Panama and Mexico after the quake struck at 10:37 p.m. Sunday. But David Walsh, an oceanographer with the Pacific Tsunami Center in Ewa Beach, Hawaii, said a minor, 20-centimeter (7.8-inch) swell was registered off Acajutla, El Salvador.

The National Weather Service said sea level readings confirm a small tsunami was generated. The tsunami may have been destructive along the coastlines of the region near the earthquake epicenter.

All tsunami warnings have since been canceled.

The quake was located 86 miles (138 kilometers) south-southwest of San Miguel, the U.S. Geological Survey reported on its web site. The temblor took place at a depth of 32.9 miles (53 kilometers).

Alfonso Lara of El Salvador's Civil Protection agency said authorities were alerted to the threat of a tsunami. "We are doing a general monitoring of the entire coast through our technicians and representatives," he said.

Strong quake shakes El Salvador

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 01:41:58 am »
San Diego rattled by earthquake

Dozens of small to moderate earthquakes struck southeastern California on Sunday, knocking trailer homes off their foundations, shattering windows and rattling nerves in a small farming town east of San Diego.

The largest quake, at 1:57 p.m., registered at a magnitude 5.5 and was centered about three miles northwest of the town of Brawley, said Robert Graves, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey. Another quake about an hour and a half earlier registered at magnitude 5.3.

No injuries were reported.

More than 30 additional earthquakes with magnitudes of at least 3.5 jiggled the same area near the southern end of the Salton Sea, Graves said.

"The type of activity that we're seeing could possibly continue for several hours or even days," Graves said.

The quakes pushed 20 mobile homes at a trailer park off their foundations, displacing the families that lived in them, said Maria Peinado, a spokeswoman for the Imperial County Emergency Operations Center.

Sporadic power outages affecting 2,500 Imperial Irrigation District customers also prompted authorities to evacuate some patients from one of the county's two hospitals.

At the El Sol Market in Brawley, food packages fell from shelves and littered the aisles.

Several glasses and a bottle of wine crashed to the floor and shattered at Assaggio, an Italian restaurant in Brawley, said owner Jerry Ma. The shaking was short-lived but intense, he said.

"It felt like there was quake every 15 minutes. One after another. My kids are small and they're scared and don't want to come back inside," said Mike Patel, who manages Townhouse Inn & Suites in Brawley.

A TV came crashing down and a few light fixtures broke inside the motel, Patel said.

A Brawley police dispatcher said several downtown buildings sustained minor damage.

The first quake, with a magnitude of 3.9, occurred at 10:02 a.m. The USGS said more than 100 aftershocks struck the same approximate epicenter, about 16 miles north of El Centro.

Some shaking was felt along the San Diego County coast in Del Mar, some 120 miles from the epicenter, as well as in the Coachella Valley, southern Orange County and parts of northern Mexico.

USGS seismologist Lucy Jones said earthquake swarms are characteristic of the region, known as the Brawley Seismic Zone.

"The area sees lots of events at once, with many close to the largest magnitude, rather than one main shock with several much smaller aftershocks," Jones said.

The last major swarm was in 2005, following a magnitude-5.1 quake, she said.

Sunday's quake cluster occurred in what scientists call a transition zone between the Imperial and San Andreas faults, so they weren't assigning the earthquakes to either fault, Graves said.

San Diego rattled by earthquake

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 01:43:25 am »
I think I felt this! I am in Nor Cal, and have a
wee bit of Indian blood in me yet.

nah that was the Deer herd you felt :P

ShotInTheDark

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 05:37:13 am »
My sister lives in Santa Barbara and I live here in PA and we told her about thses Earthquakes. People in CA ignore Earthquakes. This could be a precursor to the monster Earthquake seismologists have been talking about. Will CA sink into the Ocean I sure Hope not!!!

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: Music You Love by RUSSO
[Today at 02:12:02 am]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56