collapse

Author Topic: Bad Cops. Discussion Thread  (Read 32191 times)

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
Re: Bad Cops. Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 07:32:07 am »
All on the right track, here is some expert advice!
One of the best, professional presentations ever.

:D

DontTalktoPolice
A law school professor and former criminal defense attorney tells you
why you should never agree to be interviewed by the police.

[youtube]6wXkI4t7nuc[/youtube]

Agreed, BTS, this guy lays it out in black and white..great video!

Cheers!
Hermetically sealed, for your protection

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 02:42:08 pm »
From: http://news.yahoo.com/uva-student-jailed-possession-bottled-water-ice-cream-135417476.html

A University of Virginia student spent a night and good part of the next day in jail after seven plain-clothes agents from the state’s Alcoholic Beverage Control division ambushed her.

The student, 20-year-old Elizabeth Daly, made the mistake of walking to her car with bottled water, cookie dough and ice cream in a dark supermarket parking lot near the UVA campus, reports The Daily Progress.

The seven agents sprung aggressively into action, suspecting that the student was carrying was a 12-pack of beer. She was actually carrying a sky-blue carton of LaCroix sparkling water.

Police admit that one of the high-strung agents vaulted onto the hood of Daly’s car. She contends that one of them also drew a gun.

It’s not clear what about Daly’s appearance gave the six police officers the belief that they had probable cause to confront her en masse.

Daly, along with two roommates who were in the car, did what reasonable, unarmed people usually do when violently pounced upon by seven people. They tried to get away.

More at link.
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 05:51:34 pm »
All on the right track, here is some expert advice!
One of the best, professional presentations ever.
DontTalktoPolice

“You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have a right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you.”

The RED part is more than enough reason to keep your mouth shut :P  Exercise your RIGHT (while we still have it :P )

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 06:23:00 pm »

“You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have a right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you.”

The RED part is more than enough reason to keep your mouth shut :P  Exercise your RIGHT (while we still have it :P )

Heh.  From: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/17/supreme-court-silence_n_3453968.html

WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court says prosecutors can use a person's silence against them if it comes before he's told of his right to remain silent.

The 5-4 ruling comes in the case of Genovevo Salinas, who was convicted of a 1992 murder. During police questioning, and before he was arrested or read his Miranda rights, Salinas answered some questions but did not answer when asked if a shotgun he had access to would match up with the murder weapon.

Prosecutors in Texas used his silence on that question in convicting him of murder, saying it helped demonstrate his guilt. Salinas appealed, saying his Fifth Amendment rights to stay silent should have kept lawyers from using his silence against him in court. Texas courts disagreed, saying pre-Miranda silence is not protected by the Constitution.

The high court upheld that decision.
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Re: bad cops
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 05:07:27 pm »
There is a 'user fee' attached to the word carp.

Tell it to the judge :P

Today, from our backyard....

THIRD AMENDMENT VIOLATED? NEV. POLICE ALLEGEDLY INVADE FAMILY’S HOME TO USE DURING SWAT CALL, ARREST TWO FOR ‘OBSTRUCTION’ WHEN OWNER REFUSES

“Henderson police arrested a family for refusing to let officers use their homes as lookouts for a domestic violence investigation of their neighbors,” Reason explains.

The Las Vegas Review Journal provides details on the domestic violence situation police officers were dealing with on that blistering summer day:

Police had gone to the 300 block of Evening Side Avenue, near Horizon Ridge Parkway and the Las Vegas Beltway, for an alleged domestic violence incident at Phillip White Jr.’s home…

White was believed to have barricaded himself and a child inside his home at 363 Evening Side.

SWAT officers closed all entrances and exits to the neighborhood. The standoff lasted hours.

Police began to call people in their homes.

When officers called on Anthony Mitchell and asked if they could “occupy his home in order to gain a ‘tactical advantage’ against the occupant of the neighboring house,” he declined, saying he didn’t want to get involved.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07/08/third-amendment-violated-nev-police-allegedly-invade-familys-home-to-use-during-swat-call-arrest-two-for-obstruction-when-owner-refuses/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=story&utm_campaign=Share+Buttons

Offline starwarp2000

• Ollam Fodhla
  • Pegasus Alternate Energy Team
  • Gold 151
  • Omnes Tuum Bases
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 11:38:10 am »
When San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Deputy Darren Murphy responded to a "shots fired" call in April 2008, he decided en route that he was going to make an arrest.
Those recordings provide a rare, frighteningly revealing, behind-the-scenes perspective of how one local law enforcement agency views  the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, and other laws its personnel are sworn to uphold.
Sheriff's spinner Rob Bryn declined to confirm the identities of any of the deputies appearing or heard in the recordings.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aGD32DENkk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt9y9RlMFzA[/youtube]
Sit down before fact like a small child, and be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature lead, or you will learn nothing. —T. H. Huxley

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 02:09:19 pm »
Maybe THIS is why the Cops are so antsy when they come up to your car...

[youtube]OV8w7O2Rl8Q[/youtube]

sky otter

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 06:06:28 pm »
UC Davis Pepper Spray Cop Seeks Workers’ Comp

By Russell Goldman

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/07/uc-davis-pepper-spray-cop-seeks-workers-comp/

Jul 26, 2013 5:42pmA former University of California, Davis police officer who was fired after pepper spraying a group of students staging a protest in 2011, and whose actions went viral on the internet, is seeking workers’ compensation settlement, claiming the incident left him psychologically injured.

John Pike was fired in July 2012, following an internal affairs investigation regarding his actions at a November protest on the campus.  In a video that spread across the Internet, Pike can be seen aiming pepper spray in the faces of students sitting passively protesting tuition increases and in solidarity with the Occupy movement.

Pike has a settlement hearing scheduled for Aug. 13, according to the Department of Industrial Relations website.

His claim pertains to a “nervous system – psychiatric” injury according to department documents published online.

UC Davis officials confirmed Pike had filed a claim. “The university is required to follow the worker’s compensation process. We are not in agreement with the benefits being claimed,” said Andy Fell, a university spokesman.

Pike reportedly collected a pension for the years he worked at the school, despite being fired. According to a report in the Davis Enterprise, the police lieutenant earned an annual salary of $121,680 before his dismissal. His lawyer Jason Marcus would not comment on the case or indicate the size of the benefit Pike is seeking.

DAVIS, Calif. -- The former police officer who pepper-sprayed students during an Occupy protest at the University of California, Davis is appealing for worker's compensation, claiming he suffered psychiatric injury from the 2011 confrontation.

John Pike has a settlement conference set for Aug. 13 in Sacramento, according to the state Department of Industrial Relations' website.

Pike was fired in July 2012, eight months after a task force investigation found that his action was unwarranted.

Online videos of him and another officer casually dousing demonstrators with pepper spray went viral, sparking outrage at UC Davis leaders. The images became a rallying symbol for the Occupy Wall Street movement.

Hackers posted Pike's information online. He received scores of threats that led an Alameda County Court judge to rule against releasing the names of other officers at the scene.

This week, a state appeals court ruled news organizations are entitled to know the names of a dozen University of California police officers who were interviewed about the use of pepper spray on demonstrators at UC Davis.

The Los Angeles Times and The Sacramento Bee are seeking the officers' identities, which were redacted from two reports on the incident.

In the aftermath, the University of California agreed to pay $1 million to settle a lawsuit filed by demonstrators and the chief of the UC Davis police department resigned.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/26/john-pike-workers-comp-pepper-spray_n_3658316.html
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 09:37:33 pm by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 01:57:27 am »
Not a Cop but... fits in this thread...

Ray Nagin: Former New Orleans Mayor Indicted for Bribery

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin during an interview in his office at City Hall in New Orleans, Dec. 23, 2008. (Alex Brandon/AP Photo)

By JASON RYAN (@JasonRyanABC) and PIERRE THOMAS (@PierreTABC)
Jan. 18, 2013
Federal prosecutors today announced a 21-count indictment against former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, accused of enriching himself as the city struggled to rebuild in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Nagin is accused of using the office of mayor to steer city projects to business associates who, in turn, allegedly paid kickbacks and bribes and flew him on lavish free trips to Hawaii, Jamaica, and Las Vegas.

Nagin was charged with bribery, honest service wire fraud, money laundering, conspiracy and filing false tax returns.

"The defendant C. Ray Nagin, knowingly devised a scheme and artifice to defraud the City of New Orleans and its citizens of his honest services through bribery and a kickback scheme, whereby Mayor Nagin used his public office and his official capacity to provide favorable treatment that benefitted the business and financial interests of individuals providing him with bribery/kickback payoffs in the form of checks, cash, granite inventory, wire transfers personal services and free travel," the indictment said.

The indictment charges that Nagin established a family company in 2005 called Stone Age LLC and allegedly put bribes and kickback checks into the firm's accounts.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ray-nagin-orleans-mayor-indicted-bribery/story?id=18253548

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 07:13:30 am »
Nursing home resident dead after confrontation with police

A 95-year-old resident of an Illinois nursing home died early Saturday, hours after being shocked with a Taser and bean bag rounds in a confrontation with police.

Authorities said John Warna was a resident at Victory Centre of Park Forest, on the 100 block of South Main Street in the south suburb. He was threatening paramedics and staff with a cane and a metal shoehorn when police arrived at the complex, they said.

Police said they struck him with a Taser and bean bag rounds after he threatened officers with a 12-inch butcher knife.

Warna was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center, where he later died.

A cause of death was not released by Saturday evening.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/27/19720753-nursing-home-resident-dead-after-confrontation-with-police?lite

So what, the old man started slowly shuffling towards them and they had no time to act accordingly? Surprised the never released the hounds on him as well.  >:(

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:15:35 am by Ellirium113 »

Offline spacemaverick

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 373
  • A fantastic journey begins with curiosity
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 08:01:38 pm »
I would like to throw in my own personal story.  Having worked for a Sheriff's Office for 20 years as botha deputy and corrections deputy I have seen many good officers but I have seen some bad ones.  Back in the mid 90's, I was a Field Training Officer for Corrections Deputies.  We were working maximum security.  My trainee was working the control room that controlled all the doors.  Inside a Plexiglas cell the Officer-in-charge of the unit had a fully restrained inmate.  His hands and his legs were restrained by a special set-up but he could move around on the mattress on the floor.  This was an inmate that had mental issues.  He could be no threat to anyone the way he was restrained.  We had to make periodic checks on everyone every 15 minutes in these cells and allow access to restroom facilities.  Well 2 officers came in and didn't want to be bothered by any of his questions or anything else.  Both kicked at him and one connected with him on the mattress.  The man was defenseless and was restrained for our safety.  Long story short I objected and turned them in.  The next 18 months were pure hell with 50% of my peers for me and 50% against me.  It went to an internal investigation.  My trainee lied and so did the other two denying that it happened.  The inmates would not say anything for fear of retribution.  Naturally I came out on the short end of the stick.  I stayed with the department, gave up my position as a trainer for awhile.

Someone became our new commander and they had a need for a trainer.  I was schooled in that area and had the experience.  I put in my memo and had to explain why I gave it up the first time and the issues involved.  I told the new commander that I would do the same thing all over again.  I received a call from the new commander asking me which shift I would like to have as a trainer.  I returned to my love of teaching others.  This did have repercussions though.  Later on when I went to apply for a job on road patrol, a friend of the officer (Major) that has done the internal investigation had passed onto another Major (who was his friend) that I should not be hired.  We had a central police testing for all the departments who handled everything regarding hiring.  My file was buried never to be seen again.

It was then I realized what a pile of political crap I had gotten into.  One of the things I learned was when a system is complex, you can use their own rules and procedures against them.  I survived and eventually ending up writing their training programs and worked up to the rank of Lieutenant in the end.

The things I have seen out on the street and in that jail by a few bad apples made the good ones look bad.  It's hard to weed out bad apples because the system doesn't make it easy.  Most of the time you have to let karma take care of it.  The two people involved went on to retire just like I did.  It makes it even harder when you have some leadership that is the same way.  When I left it was getting worse.  There are still good officers out there but things get worse everyday.  Our academies are starting to spew out officers that do not protect and serve but just enforce.

Hope I have not bored you.  Don't forget there are good ones out there. The politics in there was atrocious but that is another subject.
From the past into the future any way I can...Educating...informing....guiding.

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 08:47:51 pm »
Yes. there are good apples.  Hopefully enough.

Offline burntheships

• Administrator
  • Gold 277
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 08:56:44 pm »
  Don't forget there are good ones out there.

SM,

Yes, there are and thanks for your story. Bad apples
rot and ruin a bushel, my grandma said.

I say thanks to those like you who have served in honesty,
acting with dignity for the better. Some of the criminals these
days are enough to make anyone lose their cool, it is a fine
line to walk.
"This is the Documentary Channel"
- Zorgon

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 09:15:02 pm »
Let Us keep in mind that this divide - criminals and enforcers - has been fomented.  It is part of a plan.

They WANT Us to rise up, get violent, and I'm amazed that the only violence (beyond the norm) I see is the false flags and war mongering.  We, the People, are being mighty restrained in that.

And though some call for the death of These and the destruction of Those...  The Ones who cause the drama turn out to be paid inciters; NOT Those who protest.  (Seems there is some evidence that protesting legally means "I don't like it but will accept it..."  I prefer "rebuke."  No ambiguity.)

It's really quite lovely to see the degree that peaceful behavior is emerging.

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2014, 12:34:22 pm »
Musician Arrested In NYC Subway After Cop Reads Out Loud Exact Statute That Permits Him To Play

One of NYPD's finest arrests a man for playing in the subway after he recites the law word for word that allows him to perform for donations. He continues to sing as he is being handcuffed. A "frig the police" chant subsequently follows.

[youtube]PEBZReXChoA[/youtube]

The LAW

Section 1050.6c
Except as expressly permitted in this subdivision, no person shall engage in any nontransit uses upon any facility or conveyance. Nontransit uses are noncommercial activities that are not directly related to the use of a facility or conveyance for transportation. The following nontransit uses are permitted by the Authority, provided they do not impede transit activities and they are conducted in accordance with these rules: public speaking; campaigning; leafletting or distribution of written noncommercial materials; activities intended to encourage and facilitate voter registration; artistic performances, including the acceptance of donations.

"I don't care if I am WRONG, I am a Cop so I will arrest you anyway"

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:53:20 pm by zorgon »

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56