collapse

Author Topic: Methane emission.  (Read 3606 times)

Offline SarK0Y

• Pegasus Alternate Energy Team
  • Gold 37
Methane emission.
« on: September 27, 2011, 02:31:36 pm »
The international expedition of Russian and American scientists has led to a discovery of new sites of intense methane emissions in the eastern Arctic that can strongly impact the greenhouse effect, Igor Semiletov, Head of the Arctic Research Lab of the Russian Academy of Sciences’ Far Eastern Branch, told RIA Novosti Tuesday.

He stressed that the international expedition currently underway in the Arctic is the first to be funded by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research and supported by the United States’ National Science Foundation and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

The expedition of 27 scientists from Russia and the United States was promptly sent from Vladivostok on September 2 to carry out research into massive methane emissions from a sea in eastern Arctic. The problem raises concerns due to the fact that manifold increase in the content of the gas in the atmosphere may increase the greenhouse effect.
------------------------------
http://arctic.ru/news/2011/09/russian-and-us-scientists-discover-new-methane-emissions-arctic
hella creepy situation: it can too worsen climate change.  the raise of sea level, lack of drinking water, more powerful hurricanes and triggers of new quakes as well + needless to say of tech disasters in result.
I do What Me'n'Universum  want :-)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Re: Methane emission.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 06:36:04 pm »
Personally I think 'Greenhouse Gases" and 'Global Warming" is a red herring... The warming is happening throughout the solar system and I doubt it has anything to do with what mankind is doing on Earth.

Now anything we do to stop pollution is fine by me... so let them talk :D but blaming global warming on cows farting and using polar bears on ice flows to gather sympathy is just more lies that make it hard to sort the truth.

One decent size volcano releases tons of these gases... methane release are certainly on the increase, but not man made. I have been tracking these for some time....

Now about the Global Warming...  A little info from our Russian friends :D

Down in Antarctica is a Russian base even colder than Siberia...  :o It is called Vostok Station. There is a unique feature there called Vostok Lake.  This is a very large lake, beneath tons of ice, yet the lake is not frozen, kept warm by geothermal vents.  Despite the ice over top, you can still see the lake on the surface, even from space.

Now scientists from Russia and other countries have been drilling down to the lake... (will cover details in a thread about the lake) What is important here is the ice core samples. Ice cores, like tree rings, tell the history of the climate over the years (ice cores are more accurate than tree rings). The different layers tell us when a year was warm and when it was cold.

At Vostok Lake the last time this lake saw the light of day was 420,000 years ago. So we have a core sample record dating over 415,000 years  :o

They stopped drilling for reasons of contamination, both of us contaminating the pristine lake, and the microbes they discovered as they got close. But that is another story

Here is the result of the ice core samples. The ice cores don't lie...

My suggestion? Stock up on blankets and warm clothes, lay in some non perishable food, and get some firewood and a wood burning stove...

Your gonna need it :P

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 06:49:05 pm by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 06:36:15 pm »
METHANE

Early in the year there were a lot of weird animal, fish and bird deaths... mostly the media and 'experts' had no clue, though some did suspect methane releases from the earth as a cause (methane in water will rob the oxygen so fish suffocate). I have a long list of the deaths that have been mostly forgotten about. Also there have been stories of weird sounds heard... hummings and rumblings... perhaps the earth is venting...(or growing... another theory that is gaining ground) In any case there have been record breaking releases of methane, like the one Sarkoy started this thread with.

In the Gulf Oil spill disaster there was one odd thing... Yes it was a man made accident, but during the leakage, there was an extraordinary release of methane along with the spill...  in fact it now shows that this methane release was the primary cause of the disaster.

Methane in Gulf "astonishingly high": U.S. scientist

(Reuters) - As much as 1 million times the normal level of methane gas has been found in some regions near the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, enough to potentially deplete oxygen and create a dead zone, U.S. scientists said on Tuesday.

Reuters.com/article/2010/06/22/us-oil-spill-methane

Though some oil is indeed made by fossil plants and animals, I believe most of it, and especially methane, is created deep withing the earth, a theory gathering support in main stream science as they are discovering oil wells have been refilling themselves.

This is known as Abiotic Oil

With all this release of methane from beneath the earth's crust, the pressure on the mantle has to change as well. So we can expect a lot more earthquakes and volcanoes as the release in pressure causes the plates to move

Now we just saw a MASSIVE fish kill of Redondo Beach in California...

Redondo Beach fish die-off: Tests show oxygen levels at 'almost zero'

When methane disolves in water, the fish cannot get oxygen and thus cannot breathe and die off enmasse... as has been reported in many areas. Also a giant methane bubble rising into the air can catch a flock of birds unaware and kill them swiftly (like we used canaries in coal mines to act as an alarm when methane levels increase to danger levels giving miners time to escape)

So do we have a source of Methane that coincides with this massive kill?

Well yes, so happens we do... a huge Mud Volcano off Redondo Beach

Methane Hydrate
In addition to naturally occurring oil and gas seeps in the Santa Barbara Channel, north of Los Angeles, methane and hydrogen sulfide gases are actively discharging at the crest of a mud volcano only 24 kilometers west-southwest of Redondo Beach, California. The mud volcano is 30m high and its top is about the size of a football field. It formed as gas-charged sediment from depth squeezed up to the sea floor, probably along an active fault at the edge of the offshore Santa Monica Basin. The top of the mud volcano is about 800m below the sea surface, and at this depth the water pressure is 80 times the atmospheric pressure at sea level. As a result, water and methane gas at this pressure "freezes" to form what is termed a methane hydrate. The hydrate ice becomes incorporated in the surrounding ocean-floor sediment. The photo of a cross-section of a sediment core (see below) reveals the rapidly disassociating chunk of hydrate (methane ice).

Methane Hydrate - USGS

The fish kill was March 8, 2011. Shortly after the fish kill a few miles away at the Gulf of California there were a series of quakes:

18-MAR-2011 01:44:12 25.42 -109.71 4.5 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
17-MAR-2011 10:52:42 25.32 -109.70 4.2 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
14-MAR-2011 01:43:49 25.44 -109.66 4.0 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
13-MAR-2011 16:07:34 25.29 -109.75 4.6 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
13-MAR-2011 05:54:25 25.28 -110.08 4.0 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
13-MAR-2011 02:50:11 25.44 -109.76 4.6 24.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
12-MAR-2011 21:58:39 25.31 -109.84 4.5 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
12-MAR-2011 20:16:58 25.42 -109.73 4.3 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
12-MAR-2011 17:54:18 25.51 -109.79 4.7 14.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
12-MAR-2011 17:13:01 25.48 -109.72 5.1 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
12-MAR-2011 14:11:04 25.40 -109.65 5.3 12.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
12-MAR-2011 13:26:02 25.35 -109.93 5.5 17.6 GULF OF CALIFORNIA
12-MAR-2011 12:03:42 25.26 -109.96 4.4 10.0 GULF OF CALIFORNIA

This swarm was about 25 miles from Redondo Beach

Explosion
Deepwater Horizon oil spill - May 24, 2010

Credit US Coast Guard - Full size image here

At approximately 9:45 p.m. CDT, on April 20, 2010, methane gas from the well, under high pressure, shot all the way up and out of the drill column, expanded onto the platform, and then ignited and exploded. Fire then engulfed the platform. Most of the workers escaped the rig by lifeboat and were subsequently evacuated by boat or airlifted by helicopter for medical treatment; however, eleven workers were never found despite a three-day Coast Guard search operation, and are believed to have died in the explosion. Efforts by multiple ships to douse the flames were unsuccessful. After burning for approximately 36 hours, the Deepwater Horizon sank on the morning of April 22, 2010

So it was the huge high pressure release of Methane that exploded that was the primary cause of this oil spill.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:10:19 pm by zorgon »

Offline SarK0Y

• Gold 37
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 07:37:40 pm »
Personally I think 'Greenhouse Gases" and 'Global Warming" is a red herring... The warming is happening throughout the solar system and I doubt it has anything to do with what mankind is doing on Earth.
Amicus, i can't share yer point: chemical compound of Atmosphere makes thermal, electrical & so on conductivity, photosynthesis is amongst crucial regulators of Atmosphere. destructed Forests, poisoned Water have increased greenhouse effect as well. i guess we're not too far from Natural Olympic Flames up to Skies thanks to methane gushers ;)

sky otter

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 07:02:23 pm »
 ???

29 August 2012 Last updated at 14:04

Large volumes of methane - a potent greenhouse gas - could be locked beneath the ice-covered regions of Antarctica, according to a new study.

It says this methane could be released into the atmosphere as ice retreats, contributing to climate warming.

The findings indicate that ancient deposits of organic matter may have been converted to methane by microbes under the ice.

An international team reported the results in Nature journal.

Study leader Jemima Wadham, from Bristol University, said: "This is an immense amount of organic carbon, more than ten times the size of carbon stocks in northern permafrost regions.

"Our laboratory experiments tell us that these sub-ice environments are also biologically active, meaning that this organic carbon is probably being metabolised to carbon dioxide and methane gas by microbes."

They estimate that there could be hundreds of billions of tonnes of carbon stored in methane reservoirs under the ice sheet.

The authors say that the predicted shallow depth of these methane reserves means that they could be destabilised by climate change, and might act as a positive feedback on global warming.

Co-author Dr Sandra Arndt, also from the University of Bristol, said: "It's not surprising that you might expect to find significant amounts of methane hydrate trapped beneath the ice sheet.

"Just like in sub-seafloor sediments, it is cold and pressures are high which are important conditions for methane hydrate formation."

In their Nature paper, the authors comment that their "findings suggest that the Antarctic Ice Sheet may be a neglected but important component of the global methane budget".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19410444

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 07:39:42 pm »
lmao.where is this methane you speak of?
in the upper atmosphere?
can i fill a balloon with methane and it float.
hard to type while laughing so hard.
i live in the oilpatch of east texas.
methane sinks to ground and dissipates.
any of it in the air gets burned up by vehicles,improving performance by .0000001%.
is this a joke thread?
in cold climates, if there is no wind,it will pool in low spots like river bottoms.then it becomes explosive.i know a few burnt up millionaires who drove in to it.

if they worried about it in the permafrost,light it up.
also they have shown grizzlies and polar bears can crossbread ,so we wont lose the genetic pool.

global warming is the biggest hoax pulled on the world in my lifetime.

dont get me wrong.
thankyou for the effort to inform us but i dont dig it.
respectfully.
ive never been much for rules.
being me has its priviledges.

Dumbledore

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 07:50:55 pm »
global warming is the biggest hoax pulled on the world in my lifetime.

Not true...

Global warming is real enough... it's the CAUSE that is in question

Offline SarK0Y

• Gold 37
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 07:59:36 pm »
???

29 August 2012 Last updated at 14:04

Large volumes of methane - a potent greenhouse gas - could be locked beneath the ice-covered regions of Antarctica, according to a new study.

It says this methane could be released into the atmosphere as ice retreats, contributing to climate warming.

The findings indicate that ancient deposits of organic matter may have been converted to methane by microbes under the ice.

An international team reported the results in Nature journal.

Study leader Jemima Wadham, from Bristol University, said: "This is an immense amount of organic carbon, more than ten times the size of carbon stocks in northern permafrost regions.

"Our laboratory experiments tell us that these sub-ice environments are also biologically active, meaning that this organic carbon is probably being metabolised to carbon dioxide and methane gas by microbes."

They estimate that there could be hundreds of billions of tonnes of carbon stored in methane reservoirs under the ice sheet.

The authors say that the predicted shallow depth of these methane reserves means that they could be destabilised by climate change, and might act as a positive feedback on global warming.

Co-author Dr Sandra Arndt, also from the University of Bristol, said: "It's not surprising that you might expect to find significant amounts of methane hydrate trapped beneath the ice sheet.

"Just like in sub-seafloor sediments, it is cold and pressures are high which are important conditions for methane hydrate formation."

In their Nature paper, the authors comment that their "findings suggest that the Antarctic Ice Sheet may be a neglected but important component of the global methane budget".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19410444
in short, show must go on :)

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: Music You Love by RUSSO
[Today at 02:12:02 am]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]