collapse

Author Topic: Worsening Weather, Earthquakes, Vortices, Volcanoes, CMEs ... What's Up?  (Read 124628 times)

sky otter

Re: Worsening Weather, Earthquakes, Vortices, Volcanoes, CMEs ... What's Up?
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2012, 09:12:51 am »

Z
i know there was a thread  and you posted some faces in the sky..spirit stuff

but i can't find it..

if you think this fits.. please move it

otherwise.. just wierd skies lately and this was as i went to take some squash pics for deuem just a bit ago

11:47 am est

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2012, 10:21:35 am »
Otterpop, I got chills when I looked at those pics.  I was meditating on the matrix last night, and that's exactly what I saw.  I also saw what Matrix Traveller is experiencing, right down to the colors.  I pm'd him about,  and he confirmed what I was seeing.  I forgot to save the pm copy in my outbox, but he has my permission to share it if he wishes.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline COSMO

• Gold 157
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2012, 05:08:09 pm »
This happened last month, but I did not see this photo.  Wouldn't it scare the crap outa ya to see that barreling towards you?  :o

Weather gone wild. Amazing National Geographic pictures show extreme natural disasters hitting the U.S.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2190397/Weather-gone-wild-Amazing-National-Geographic-pictures-extreme-natural-disasters-hitting-U-S.html#ixzz23whzHoEt

And you may ask yourself
Well...How did I get here?

sky otter

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2012, 07:56:17 am »

whoaaaaaaa...that looks biblical   

Offline 1Worldwatcher

• Gold 145
  • "Why are we all here? Because we ain't all there!"
    • Inception Radio Live-Chat
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2012, 08:00:11 am »
SOLAR ACTIVITY PICKS UP: Following a week of quiet, solar activity is picking up again with a series of M-class solar flares off the sun's northeastern limb.  So far none of the eruptions has been Earth-directed.  This could change, however, with the approach of an active farside sunspot that appears set to turn toward our planet in the days ahead.

http://www.spaceweather.com

There is more too come, and it is so strange because we , as a species have never experienced this day and age of our cosmic and earths natural cycles. IMHO

1Worldwatcher
"To know men is too have knowledge, to know self is to have insight."

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2012, 01:24:47 pm »
Greenland Ice Melt
Was Predicted In Advance

Image of the great Greenland melt courtesy NASA.

The image above is based on data from the Indian Oceansat-2 satellite and shows that on 12 July 2012 virtually all of the Greenland ice sheet surface was melting.

The highest point on the ice sheet, Summit at 3,200 meters saw temperatures at 36 degrees! The melt areas can be detected by the albedo of the ice sheet and this can be confirmed by a network of automated surface stations that send data via satellites.

When temps. approach freezing flights to support science on the Greenland ice cap become very difficult. This is my picture from NEEM Ice core site north of Summit in the middle of the ice cap. It took 4 tries to get enough speed to take off the day we left on that LC-130.

Daily surface temperatures in June-August 2012 have peaked more than 5 C (~9 F) warmer for the whole ice sheet than the 2000-2009 daily averages according to my analysis of ice surface temperatures from  daily NASA MODIS MOD11 satellite derived Land Surface Temperature (LST) retrievals. Over the highest elevations, surface temperatures were nearly 10 C (~18 F) warmer than in the 2000?s decade, leading to an area of ice sheet surface melting, unprecedented in the satellite observational record beginning in 1978.

Fig. 1. Greenland clear sky ice surface temperature anomaly relative to the 2000-2009 baseline.

To a first approximation, when ice sheet temperature increases, its reflectivity decreases (Box et al. 2012).

After a low temperatures 10-13 August, 2012 the surface reflectivity of sunlight (a.k.a. albedo) increased from the accumulation of fresh bright snow (Fig. 2). Then as surface temperatures rose again, above one standard deviation of the 2000-2009 average, the ice sheet albedo again dropped 18-23 August, 2012 below previous observations (since 2000), especially at the intermediate elevations of 1000-1500 m where melting in all likelihood remains active this year.

As reported by Marco Tedesco, 2012 melting is already setting the record since the late 1950s, and with this late melt season albedo drop and high surface temperature anomaly, this “Goliath” melt has got to be growing.

Fig. 2. Daily Greenland ice sheet reflectivity (a.k.a. albedo) values spanning nearly 13 years; 2000-2012.

The daily albedo anomaly map (Fig. 3) indicates widespread low reflectivity, especially at the ice sheet periphery where surface elevations are lower, the atmosphere is warmer, and melting persists. Positive reflectivity anomalies over the northwest ice sheet suggest the return and persistence of fresh snow.

ig. 3. Daily albedo anomaly map.

About the surface temperature data

Land surface temperature MODIS thermal infrared observations enable retrieval of land surface temperature (LST) under cloud-free conditions at 1 km horizontal resolution. The MODIS MOD11A1 data product is based on daily averaged LST retrievals from swath data and a split-window algorithm using MODIS thermal bands 31 (11 ?m) and 32 (12 ?m) (Wan et al., 2002). These data have a RMS error 1 deg. C in comparison with independent in-situ observations (Wan et al., 2008), with higher RMS errors found over Greenland (Hall et al., 2008a; Hall et al., 2008b; Koenig and Hall, 2010).

Having spent two weeks at the NEEM ice core site in 2010 I can tell you that it is a usually very cold place. It did reach -3C the day of my departure and the ski equipped  LC130 took 4 tries to get enough speed to take off on the soft snow. I imagine that it would be nearly impossible for any flights to and from Greenland during that week but I hear that temperatures have now dropped back to 21st century summer levels.

Automated weather station in Northern Greenland near NEEM. My pic.

Now, imagine you are an expert on Greenland ice, and you write a paper that predicts this very thing might happen within the next decade. Imagine further that the paper has been accepted, and while waiting for it to be published for the rest of the scientific community to read, that the very thing you predicted..HAPPENS!

Meet Dr. Jason Box of the Byrd Polar Research Center at The Ohio State Univ. He co-authored a paper with other well-known experts like Konrad Steffen and the abstract says this:

“Abnormally strong anticyclonic circulation, associated with a persistent summer North Atlantic Oscillation extreme since 2007 enabled three amplifying mechanisms to maximize the albedo feedback:

(1) increased warm (south) air advection along the western ice sheet increased surface sensible heating that in turn enhanced snow grain metamorphic rates, further reducing albedo;

(2) increased surface downward shortwave flux, leading to more surface heating and further albedo reduction; and

(3) reduced snowfall rates sustained low albedo, maximizing surface solar heating, progressively lowering albedo over multiple years. The summer net infrared and solar radiation for the high elevation accumulation area approached positive values during this period.

Thus, it is reasonable to expect 100% melt area over the ice sheet within another similar decade of warming.”

The cite is: Box, J. E., Fettweis, X., Stroeve, J. C., Tedesco, M., Hall, D. K., and Steffen, K.: Greenland ice sheet albedo feedback: thermodynamics and atmospheric drivers, The Cryosphere Discuss., 6, 593-634, doi:10.5194/tcd-6-593-2012, 2012
All of this is on Dr. Box’s blog at http://www.meltfactor.org/blog/. The accepted paper is here.

NASA says it was Son Nghiem of the JPL who spotted the sudden melt in the Indian satellite data. He almost couldn’t believe is eyes I hear. At the same time, as all of this is underway, the Arctic Ocean ice is once again flirting with the all time record low. The NSIDC today released an update on the summer melt and if there is not a new record this year, it will certainly rank as one of the biggest melts on record in the Arctic.

The news media and the public want to ascribe one reason for this melt. It is far from being that simple. Can this event be blames on solely on climate change? No, of course not. The ice core record shows this has happened before. It seems to happen about once every 150 years or so, but don’t use that to claim it is not related to climate change.

The fact that it’s happened before does not negate the fact that the Arctic has warmed signficantly over the past 100 years. The loss of sea ice is also almost certainly changing weather patterns that will lead to increasingly warm weather on the icecap.

Figure 3. The massive 46 square-mile iceberg two times the size of Manhattan that calved from Greenland's Petermann Glacier on July 16, 2012, as seen on July 21, 2012, using MODIS satellite imagery. Image credit: NASA.

Here is what the paper about to be published says about it:

In the 12 years beginning in 2000, the reduced albedo combined with a significant increase in downward solar irradiance yielded an accumulation area net radiation increase from -0.9 to -0.2Wm^2. Another similar decade may be sufficient to shift the average summer accumulation area radiation budget from negative to positive, resulting in an abrupt ice sheet melt area increase.

The ice sheet mass budget deficit is therefore expected to become more sensitive to increasing temperatures via the ice albedo feedback, especially in negative summer NAO index conditions [which did persist in 2012].

Future work should therefore be concerned with understanding potential tipping points in ice sheet melt regime as the average radiation budget shifts from negative (cooling) to positive (heating), as it seems the threshold of this has just been reached.

It will take some time, perhaps years for the cold content of the firn to be sufficiently eroded to allow continuous summer melting and an ice sheet surface characterized by 100% melt extent. Further warming would only hasten the amplification of melting that the albedo feedback permits.

I’m beginning to think that the summer of 2012 will be looked back on as the year the public finally understood just what the world’s scientists have been telling them for the past 15-20 years. Our climate is changing, and this is just the beginning unless we get a handle on our carbon emissions.

Yes, there are a lot of unknowns, but the basics are well understood, despite the shrill voices of the dwindling minority whose political beliefs make it impossible to except the statements of every major scientific body on the planet.

Works Cited

Box, J. E., Fettweis, X., Stroeve, J. C., Tedesco, M., Hall, D. K., and Steffen, K.: Greenland ice sheet albedo feedback: thermodynamics and atmospheric drivers, The Cryosphere, 6, 821-839, doi:10.5194/tc-6-821-2012, 2012. open access

Hall, D. K., Williams Jr., R. S., Luthcke, S. B., and Digirolamo, N. E.: Greenland ice sheet surface temperature, melt and mass loss: 2000–2006, J. Glaciol., 54, 81–93, doi:10.3189/002214308784409170, 2008a.

Hall, D. K. J. E. Box, K. Casey, S. J. Hook, C. A. Shuman, K. Steffen, Comparison of satellite-derived and in-situ observations of ice and snow surface temperatures over Greenland, Remote Sensing of Environment, 2008b

Koenig, L. S., and D. K. Hall, 2010: Comparison of satellite, thermochron and station temperatures at Summit, Greenland, during the winter of 2008/09. J. Glaciol., 56, 735–741.

Note: There are some other very good blog posts on the big Greenland melt. Links below:

MELTFACTOR.ORG (Jason Box’s site where the above paper and quotes are from)

Climate Central- Andrew Freedman

Arctic Sea Ice Blog

Jeff Masters’ at Weather Underground
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2012, 01:50:07 pm »
http://www.spaceweather.com

There is more too come, and it is so strange because we , as a species have never experienced this day and age of our cosmic and earths natural cycles. IMHO

1Worldwatcher

It's definitely different 1WW, and Thor, but how and where?

Whats really odd, is with all this talk of warming, here in Tampa, weve had the coolest average temps since 1997 in my personal almanac.

And the average wind speed for the last three weeks has been twice that of the normal and some days it has been three times the usual.

Last night we had a wind of 15-20 mph and it got don to 77 degrees by 9pm...very unseasonable here.

Now with Isaac going by, the winds have changed, and Ill be looking to see what they do after he passes.

I have a feeling HAARp is heating an area south of west texas in the Gulf, and is causing the shift in our weather, and also pulling the hurricane westawrd to avoid the PTB in Tampa this week.

Here we are under a tropical strom warning, and all day weve been in and out of the pool enjoying the beautiful weather...usually this time of year we are inside staying out of the 2-3 mph south winds with 95% humidity and 95 degree heat....very odd indeed!

Cheers!
Le
Hermetically sealed, for your protection

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2012, 03:28:23 pm »
Here is the big Picture...

Global Warming is REAL

Global Warming is NOT caused by mankind... it has happened MANY times in our history

The ice core samples taken at Lake Vostok while they drilled down to that lake do not lie... they record accurately the change in temperatures over 415000 years

What do they show?

Look carefully at the warm periods compared to the cold

Look carefully at the SHARP change from cold to hot and hot to cold. When the change comes it comes FAST  over a few years.

Look closely at where we are today on that chart...

Now here is the way it works... global warming triggers record meltdown of sea and land ice... Arctic, Greenland Antarctica even the Himalayan Mountains...

This causes fresh water to decrease the salinity of the oceans which in turn heats up the ocean currents....

The heated oceans currents then create more severe storms... way above Katrina strength are possible...

All it then takes is ONE SINGLE HUGE STORM that causes a down draft of extreme cold air and it triggers an ice age OVERNIGHT

They found Mastadons trapped in the ice still chewing their last meal... think about it...

There was a movie made that dramatized this very effect... perhaps a bit overkill but close enough

Imagine what a SINGLE category 10 could do

We are seeing the changes in the weather now. You have the Ice Age chart. I live nland and south of the last ice age limits :D but I have stocked lots of firewood and droping 20 degreed would make me happy :D Its been over 100F for three months straight now and ewe had one day in April that hit 100 this year.

We did have one storm a few days ago.... temp dropped from 110F at 11:30 pm to 68 in literally 20 minutes while we were watching the lightning show

The Day After Tomorrow... Where will YOU be?

[youtube]JQDSAiPiEDU[/youtube]

[youtube]Cs56_GqTyIQ[/youtube]
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:27:32 am by zorgon »

Offline The Matrix Traveller

• Gold 253
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2012, 04:46:52 pm »
Otterpop, I got chills when I looked at those pics.  I was meditating on the matrix last night, and that's exactly what I saw.  I also saw what Matrix Traveller is experiencing, right down to the colors.  I pm'd him about,  and he confirmed what I was seeing.  I forgot to save the pm copy in my outbox, but he has my permission to share it if he wishes.

Shasta

Hi Shasta,

No problem... Here is a copy of the pm you sent to me.

I think your editing work is progressing.  I had a "slide show" for lack of a better ter presented to me as I was dozing.  It seemed to be a small area of your lower spine, but I could see the matrix adjusting ever so slightly, and I could see an improvement in the flow of blood and nutrients to the area.  It seemed to be in the L1 through L3 region.  I saw a lot of blues, greens and gold.  Similar to scaffolding, but different.  If you want to go public with my impressions please do so.  I didn't because it isn't my body I'm getting impressions of.  It's a nurse thing.

Now about this changing weather, earthquakes, etc. etc.

Those who observe Sun rises on a regular basis will have noted the increase
in water vapor or moisture in our skies over the last 20 years or so.

I understand these changes involves the Earths "Thermal Cycles" driven by both
external energy and Internal Energy produced by Gravity and the Solar Tides.

It will be discovered soon, on Mars that the bulk of Mars's Water exists at present
under Mars's Crust.

Terrestrial bodies go through "Thermal Cycles" playing a major role in their environments.

This is what may happen on the Earth in the future.

We are approaching one end (Hottest) of the "Thermal Cycle", where the seas will relocate
between the Earths Crust and the Mantle.

Re the Oceanic Trenches near Japan (Part of the adjoining Pacific Plate)

A little different than drawings involving these Trenches...   :D

The last Japanese tsunami, was generated by activity taking place in a Oceanic Trench.

Because we are approaching the Hotter end of the "Thermal Cycle", pressure changes
between the tectonic plates are taking place.

When Sea water is permitted to gain access to the upper regions of the Mantle
a chain reaction takes place.

The temperature starts rising, when we reach a certain depth, and the location
I am referring to, is much higher than boiling water at these pressures.
(far higher than 100° C at these pressures)

When Water suddenly makes Contact with these Temperatures, it can explode violently.
The release of Energy will cause the walls in this location of the Trench
to contract (away from each other), allowing another greater flow of water to gain entry
through the Trench.

Much water will be converted to Steam, but as further water is allowed access
this action will increase and eventually the Earths Crust will separate
from the Mantle, allowing water to enter this location also.

At some point all the seas will have relocated under the Earths Crust.

If we look back in history, we may find evidence of such phenomena taking
place, at either end of these cycles.

There is both a Hot end and a Colder end in the "Thermal Cycle".

The Length of this Cycle will change according to what drives the cycle.

So the Seas keep changing their Location from one side of the Earths Crust
to the other i.e. top side to underside of the crust.

Notice that in some locations on Earth the seas appear to be rising, while in
other areas appear to be dropping. Perhaps we are seeing distortions taking
place in the Earths Crust as we approach the end of this cycle.

The Seas Changing Temperature has a major affect on weather as you know.

Changing temperatures in the Seas may be the result of the release of Internal Energy
as well as being externally driven.

There are other factors which come into these changes as well affecting thunder storms
and tornado's, cyclones etc.

These are determined by the Earths Electrostatic Capacitance as the Earth behaves
like a large Spherical Capacitor, the crust acting as a Saturated Dielectric.

So how violent will these actions become?

Huge to us humans on our scale.

Will it be the End ?

NO.

In ancient writings involving forecasting, two different major events are confused as One.

The First involves the relocation of the Seas recorded in biblical material.

The Second does NOT involve the Earth as such but rather the Processing System
which produces our experiences.

I would expect Climate changes to take place over a few more years yet but to the human
experience this can be rather unpredictable.

But it must be appreciated what we are experiencing is Not by some chance, nor is it
some kind of test or anything of human understanding at this stage nor of any
religious nature but purely involves learning about our real selves and the Environment
we are experiencing.

Science has barely scratched the surface regarding this universe let alone why we are here,
experiencing both the human species and the environment it interacts with.

To whether these  changes relate to an end or Not, I understand the writings describe
yet another 1,000 years, that is if human understanding is indeed correct,
which I would suggest that we don't really know very much at all at this stage.

There will always be, those who fear and those who try to understand what this is really
all about.

Believing in an Idea of what the future may or may not produce will NOT provide
the Answers, but the Past will. Its a bit like reading a book where we only know the Story
when we have read the whole book...  :D

But in saying this we can't predict reliably the future by observing the Past.

We may have to adapt to these new conditions, and at the same time learn from this.

I think primarily we have placed too much attention on what may or may Not happen
in the future, and have neglected to gain greater understanding about our "Real Selves"
i.e. LIFE (The Observer).

The Experience involves both the body as well as the environment but it is
the "Partitions" of LIFE which experiences these 2.

We won't find safety in the Universe... But we will find Safety in our Real Selves,
i.e. a "Partition" of LIFE we refer to sometimes as "Awareness".

Some of the ancient writings refer to the Earth or Universe as "The CITY of Endurance"
and where we observe from "The CITY of Habitation" also referred to as The Place of LIFE.

Simply meaning we observe or experience the universe etc. from "Outside" rather than
internally.

Its just that the whole Program is done so well, we believe we are IN a Universe.

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2012, 04:49:39 am »
Wow, Matrix!

This is truly interesting, inspiring and frightening at the same time.

Much to understand and research here to get a handle on what you have postulated.

Thank you.

tfw
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2012, 06:21:40 am »
Great post, Matrix..connecting your work with the work of nature..I love it!

As a people, we like to think we are capable of effecting lasting changes on this planet..chemtrails, global warming, etc, but the real game changer is the LIFE experience as you call it...and the past shows us what we did and didnt do to effect those changes.

All we can change as humans is the experience, not the existence..and the cycles of Earth dont care about our puny technology or such, they just keep going in a Lacuna Coil.

Someday we will try to understand where we stand in the scheme of things, but the current mindset, and those others who havent had the gift of your teaching, arent going to solve anything for us.

Our puny efforts will only make life harder as we compromise instead of working within the partitions we are given.

I love the last statement...
Its just that the whole Program is done so well, we believe we are IN a Universe.

So true, so true!

Cheers!
Le
Hermetically sealed, for your protection

• Gold 253
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2012, 05:31:46 pm »
There are 2 parts to this experience.

a.    Things we can change within strict boundaries.
and
b.    Things we can't change involving the Program theme i.e. what happens in the overall
course of things.

Re. the "Changes" taking place; we just need to adapt to the changes and learn more
about our "Real Selves" i.e. LIFE or "Awareness" and what we are experiencing.

LIFE should Drive the Body or Flesh... Rather than the Body or Flesh trying to drive LIFE
in vain.

It is the "Flesh" which WAR'S against LIFE but LIFE wins in the End.   :D

Our Parent (Larger portion of LIFE) Creates, so too does its Children
or smaller portions, in the form of "Partitions" of the Greater (Larger or Collective) One.

Before we can "Create" we need to learn about the workings, just like driving a car.
If we don't know how to drive a car we can't drive it, simple as that.

This world Universe we experience is purely a Complex form of multiplexed "Communication"
( Different Senses) between 2 Ends of the Mind.

So we could say our daily experiences are in fact a Geometric based form of "Communication".

All our senses including Psychology, and emotions involves the Interpretation of Form. (Geometry)

What we don't see are the changes taking place in the "Processing Construct" (Some refer to
as the Soul) unless it is brought to our notice.

We should NOT Fear these things, but TRUST LIFE.

The more we TRUST LIFE i.e. "Awareness", the more we will be shown.

If we Run from LIFE we will NOT be shown anything except our own Imaginations and Fears.

One of the biggest "Challenges" that face us all, is coming to TRUST LIFE instead of trying
in vain, to destroy it.

Nothing happens by chance... There is No test or even Loss, these emotions come from
the human species as the flesh knows nothing.

All that we experience is NOT for the "Flesh", but instead "The LIVING ONE" i.e. our "Real Selves".

We that is the "Partitions" of LIFE have been from the Beginning of "The ALL" and shall remain eternally.

So we must learn (Come to Understand "The Workings") in order to mature to point of "Creating",
but in the correct way conforming to those things by which ALL has/is being Created by/through.

When the Seas do relocate at the changeover in the Earths "Thermal Cycle" we will be
given a little help, which will change our whole perspective of both our "Real Selves"
and the Universe we have/will enjoy.

The Universe exists, NOT to fear but to "Explore", for pure enjoyment.
Fear only results from a lack of knowledge and Understanding.

We only fear what we don't fully understand, because we Lack "TRUST" in LIFE.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 05:37:52 pm by The Matrix Traveller »

• Gold 253
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2012, 12:22:56 am »
I came across this Interesting "Sculpture" in our City the other Day...

It is a large Stainless Steel "Sphere" reflecting the surrounding environment.

But Look at the large, deep "Fissures" (Cracks) Around it ?

Reminded me of those "Trenches" on our Planet, and "The Relocation of the Seas",
re. "The Earths Thermal Cycles".

And from an Ancient writing Titled "The Book of E'NOCH" Ch. 1 verse 7  Quote;

7.  And the Earth shall be wholly rent in sunder,

See Attachments below....

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2013, 02:45:58 pm »

Extinctions are, by their very nature, unforeseen events. The fact that this much magma is coalescing under the thinnest part of the planet’s crust, that is likewise subducting, should raise more concerns than Yellowstone.

Geological events generally require a catalyst and we know both seismicity, heightened volcanism, and ocean floor warming has been accelerating in the Pacific basin of late- so we live constantly on the edge of a knife on this planet.

Add to this, scientists knew about the location of these magmatic reservoirs since the 1990s and said nothing of them.

Part 2: Extinction-level supervolcano growing in the Pacific

February 12, 2013 – RING OF FIRE – Bad news, everyone – you have another near-certain world-ending catastrophe to look forward to.

Scientists have confirmed that two continent-sized chemical blobs of partially melted rock are converging in the Pacific, and look set to create a massive new volcano, which could prove cataclysmic to life on Earth.

Geologist Michael Thorne at the University of Utah reports in Earth and Planetary Science that the collision is slowly happening 1,800 miles beneath the ocean. He says that the collision could lead in two possible directions – both of which are bad, and would wipe out millions of species.

One is just a massive single eruption, which would kill us all, the other is a thousand-year flood basalt eruption, which would also kill us.

The problem is that two enormous “thermochemical piles” of molten rock about 3,000 miles across are moving towards each other at the bottom of the Earth’s mantle. The piles have been known about for decades, but it was originally thought they were static.

But after extensive study with seismic waves, Thorne is convinced they’re in fact moving together. The result is a massive, molten blob that will one day be created beneath the ocean, creating a huge amount of pressure that will eventually blow up in our face.

“What we may be detecting is the start of one of these large eruptive events that – if it ever happens – could cause very massive destruction on Earth,”

said Thorne. Luckily the process is slow – it shouldn’t happen for another 100 million years or so. –Huffington UK

Trouble in the Pacific: But in the 1990s, geophysicists found evidence for the continent-size thermochemical piles beneath Africa and the Pacific. These are known technically as LLSVPs, or “large low shear velocity provinces,” because seismic shear waves passing through them move 5 percent slower that through surrounding mantle rock.

That suggests they have a different composition and-or temperature than the surrounding mantle. Previous studies also have observed smaller blobs of rock, measuring perhaps 60-by-60 miles on the edges of the continent-sized masses.

Seismic shear waves move as much as 45 percent slower through these blobs – known technically as ULVZs or “ultra low velocity zones” – indicating they may be spongy and partly molten.

Thorne says his analysis of seismic waves passing through the core-mantle boundary reveals the Pacific pile really represents two or more continent-sized piles slowly sliding atop the core and colliding so that partly molten blobs on their edges are merging into the largest such blob or ULVZ ever observed – roughly the size of Florida.

“My study might be the first to show actual seismic evidence that the piles are moving,” he says. “People who have done previous simulations have suggested this. They are sitting atop the core and getting pushed around by overlying mantle forces like subduction. They move around on the core somewhat like continental plates drift at Earth’s surface.” -UU

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT

'Soon the snow on either side of me is towering over the car.
A little further on, it is higher than the large bus I am following.'

BBC News - Tackling northern Japan's record snow

The snow looks beautiful in the winter sunlight, like a giant meringue curling from the rooftops.

Across northern Japan, 13 places have broken all previous snow records this year. Is it a freak, one-off year?

"I've lived here all of my 77 years,
But I have never seen anything like this snow.
This is at least twice as much as we usually get."

Measuring the height of the snow proved to be challenging.

Or, as some have suggested, is it another result of global warming?

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter