collapse

Author Topic: Huge sinkhole forming in Russia caught on camera  (Read 2774 times)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Huge sinkhole forming in Russia caught on camera
« on: March 11, 2015, 11:04:24 pm »
Huge sinkhole forming in Russia caught on camera

Watch the moment a sinkhole forms in the city of Solikamskiy, Russia and is caught on three separate cameras

By Telegraph Video, video source Newsflare / yura925 4:05PM GMT 09 Mar 2015

Dramatic videos have emerged of a sinkhole forming in the city of Solikamskiy, Russia.

The footage, shot earlier this year by a resident, captures images of the huge hole in the ground only a few meters away from houses.

Footage of the sinkhole from a drone (Newsflare / yura 925)

According to the filmer the 100 metre deep sinkhole formed after a Sylvinite ore colliery was flooded in November 2014.

According to the filmer - locals now fear that a neighbouring pit, which is connected to the collapsed one, will get flooded too and cave in right under their houses.

CCTV of the sinkhole forming (Newsflare / yura 295)

The filmer says locals think that the Russian authorities are hiding the risks of sinkholes in the region and allegedly say that the pit is stable and does not increase.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11459368/Huge-sinkhole-forming-in-Russia-caught-on-camera.html

Offline micjer

• Gold 100
Re: Huge sinkhole forming in Russia caught on camera
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 08:00:29 am »
I wonder how many houses went down.  Looks like a sub division.  I would guess at least 6.

I think I would be moving if I lived in one of the houses in this area.
The only people in the world, it seems, who believe in conspiracy theory, are those of us that have studied it.    Pat Shannon

space otter

Re: Huge sinkhole forming in Russia caught on camera
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 03:17:06 pm »
wow
 my first thought was perma frost melting ..how cloe to the artic are they
but when I looked it up
just another example of stupid humans...sigh

http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/2014/11/23/giant-sinkhole-opened-up-in-solikamsk-russia/

30-40 meters diameter sinkhole near the Solikamsk-2 potash mine (source: V-kurse.ru).

Giant sinkhole opened up in Solikamsk, Russia

Giant sinkhole formed in Russian Perm region in the Ural Mountains shortly after a potash mine near town of Solikamsk flooded. The sinkhole, stretching 20 by 30 metres, was found 3.5 km east of the Solikamsk-2 potash mine in Russia's Perm region.

The sinkhole was first discovered by Uralkali's Solikamsk-2 mine workers on November 18, 2014. It is located on an abandoned mine and does not pose a direct threat to residents of Solikamsk town.

The town of Solikamsk is located almost entirely above the Solikamsk-1 mine, according to the town's mayor, Sergey Devyatkov. Saint-Petersburg Geology Institute is deployed to investigate the reason for the brine inflow and its relation to the sinkhole

The world's largest potash producer Uralkali suspended all work after high levels of brine inflow were detected. A water inflow and resulting sinkhole in 2006 shut another Uralkali mine at Berezniki-1 in the same region permanently. Another two of Uralkali's Berezniki mines, also in the Perm region, have been hit since 1984. Flooding is a common problem for the potash industry.

The Solikamsk-2 plant has an annual capacity of 2.3 million tonnes of potash. Company estimate that up to 24 percent of the company's capacity might be affected, with another 20 percent of capacity in geographical proximity to the flooded mine.

Location of the Upper Kama potash deposits. (Credit: Chris Damas/SeekingAlpha)

Some experts do believe that producing Solikamsk-1 mine adjacent to flooded Solikamsk-2 mine, is likely to be flooded also.

There are two safety barriers installed between mines - a 20 meters concrete wall and a 200 meters pillar, which entirely consists of potassium salt. New water inflow in flooded mine may create microfracture in a concrete wall by the time. Water may also penetrate through small tectonic fractures. Also 1994 earthquake that occurred in the same region, seem to have been caused by powerful underground currents of highly-pressurized gas commonly found around salt mines.

Cross-section of Solikamsk 1 and 2 mines. (Credit: V-kurse.ru)

Just a month ago, another sinkhole measuring nearly 85 meters wide and 15 meters deep swallowed few houses in the town of Buturlino, southeast of the city of Nizhniy Novgorod in central Russia.

Featured image: Aerial view of Solikamsk sinkhole. Images taken on November 20, 2014. (Image courtesy: Uralkali press service)

Giant Sinkhole Appears In Russia, Possibly Swallowing Homes
Erin Brodwin   Nov. 20, 2014, 6:11 PM

An immense hole opened up in the ground on Tuesday in a large Russian city near the Ural Mountains. The 100 to 130-foot wide sinkhole looks to have swallowed several homes.

Russian geologists are searching the site for clues as to what caused the accident. The sinkhole formed shortly after a nearby salt mine flooded. That, plus a 1994 earthquake that occurred in the same region, seem to have been caused by powerful underground currents of highly-pressurized gas commonly found around salt mines.

The mine, called Solikamsk-2, churns out more than 2 million tons of potash, a potassium-rich salt used industrially as an agricultural fertilizer, each year, the Daily Mail reports.

The company who owns the mine, Uralkali, has halted production at the site, evacuated the mine, and instructed about 1,300 workers to stay home.

The same mine had previously collapsed in January 1995, causing gas explosions in surrounding areas the following day, according to the CDC. Sudden, disastrous events like these are not uncommon in salt mines of this type and can happen even if miners take all the proper precautions.

According to Russian news site V-Kurse, several homes are located nearby the sinkhole, but it remains "unknown whether there were homes in the [sinkhole's] epicenter."

At least one Russian Twitter-user, however, suggested homes may have been destroyed. In a tweet, Evgeny Andreev writes "Good luck cottagers," referring to the people living in the residences in the area.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/russian-solikamsk-potash-salt-mine-sinkhole-2014-11#ixzz3UDBgDy6X

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 05:22:47 pm by zorgon »

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]