collapse

Author Topic: Forest fires in the NW  (Read 8381 times)

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
Re: Forest fires in the NW
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 02:57:19 am »
and you are correct, we have 2 generations running amok that think everything is a video game  ::)

I don't think everything is, but I am about to go and play Super Double Dragon. 8)
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 05:38:12 am »

dang if you weren't the whole way across the states i would offer you space here..

get the puppy  and MOVE

if any of you guys are looking for safe territory  it is here where i am
approx 26 mile north east of pgh pa...fairly inexpensive housing also

MOVE Mike - be safe

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 04:36:36 pm »

Stay safe 51  this looks like it will be awhile before you can go home

1 of 27  pics at link

THE EAGLE CREEK FIRE, OREGON
The Eagle Creek Fire, reported on Sept. 2 in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, burned 3,000 acres its first night. By the morning of Sept. 5, it had grown significantly and spread across the Columbia River into Washington near Archer Mountain. The fire is believed to be human-caused, but the specifics remain under investigation by the Oregon State Police.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wildfires-sweep-across-us-west-slow-push-toward-portland/ar-AAroUTr?li=BBnb7Kz

Wildfires sweep across U.S. West, slow push toward Portland  Reuters
By Alex Dobuzinskis
1 hr ago

PIER FIRE, CALIFORNIA
The Pier Fire in Colorado began on Aug. 29 and is suspected to have been human-caused. This image of the smoke from the fires was taken on Sept. 4.

An Oregon wildfire that has damaged landmarks in the scenic Columbia River Gorge slowed its push toward evacuated houses near the city of Portland on Wednesday, officials said.

As dozens of blazes raged across the U.S. West, the so-called Eagle Creek Fire near Portland merged late Tuesday with another blaze, the Indian Creek Fire. The two combined have charred 30,930 acres (12,520 hectares), officials said.

Heavy fire activity was expected to continue through September in much of the West, and through October in parts of the northern Rocky Mountains and California, the National Interagency Fire Center said, citing hot and dry weather conditions as the primary cause.

The Eagle Creek Fire, burning in the Columbia River Gorge, forced hundreds of people to evacuate homes earlier this week in communities east of Portland, including Warrendale, Dodson and Latourell, and sent ash falling on the city itself.

Eighty-one large wildfires covering more than 1.4 million acres (570,000 hectares) were burning in the western part of the United States Wednesday, a day after federal officials said 200 active duty military personnel would help fight the fires.

"It's very unusual to have this many fires burning this many acres across such a broad area at this time in September," National Interagency Fire Center spokeswoman Jennifer Jones said.

It is the first time in two years fire officials have turned to the U.S. Department of Defense for assistance, and at a time when the fire season would normally be winding down in many parts of the West.

The Oregon fire, now zero percent contained, has burned one home and four outbuildings, as well as damaging the historic Oneonta Tunnel and hiking trails, officials said.

But firefighters protected the historic Multnomah Falls Lodge and damage was not as bad in the gorge as feared.

"The gorge still looks like the gorge; it's not a wasteland," Oregon State Fire Marshal's Office spokesman Damon Simmons told reporters.

A 15-year-old boy is believed to have started the blaze by lighting fireworks, but the investigation continues and the teen has not been charged, Oregon State Police said.

Authorities said they were seeking to determine when they can lift evacuation orders near Portland.

Montana is battling 28 large fires, the most of any state.

One of those, the Caribou Fire northwest of Eureka, has destroyed 10 homes and forced the evacuation of hundreds of people, said fire information officer Don Simon. It was 10 percent contained.

PAYETTE WILDERNESS FIRES, IDAHO
The Highline Fire is the largest of the fires at 6,295 acres burning in the Payette Wilderness of Idaho, on July 31.

several vids at link

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/rescue-effort-underway-for-hikers-trapped-by-eagle-creek-fire/470354816

TROUTDALE, Ore. -- The Eagle Creek wildfire that has forced hundreds of evacuations and closed miles of Interstate 84 east of Portland is at 32,929 acres and is 0 percent contained, said Lt. Damon Simmons, a spokesman with Portland Fire & Rescue.

The increase in acreage -- the fire had been estimated at 20,000 acres Tuesday night -- is more of a correction than an indication that the fire has grown, Simmons said during a Wednesday morning news conference. An infrared flight was able to go over the fire, which gave officials more exact numbers.

The Eagle Creek Fire and nearby 1,000-acre Indian Creek Fire have combined, but Simmons said the fire didn't make a hard push in any direction Tuesday. On Tuesday night, the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office said fire officials "are indicating that the fire has slowed way down for now."

The last new evacuation order was issued early Tuesday afternoon. In addition to the evacuations in Multnomah County, Hood River County has closed all forest land for recreational use.

About 600 emergency personnel are fighting the Eagle Creek wildfire. Crews have been focusing on containing the fire, improving fire lines and increasing space around structures.

The historic Multnomah Falls Lodge, built in 1925, has been threatened by the fire, but structural firefighters have worked to keep the fire away from it. Several structural engines and one aerial ladders truck have been working with water tenders to keep the lodge wetted down.

The western edge of the fire had not advanced as far as originally thought, Simmons said. It is currently about a half-mile south of Interstate 84.

KGW meteorologist Rod Hill said Wednesday morning that light west winds in the gorge should help stop the flow of wildfire smoke into Portland. And he said the winds should calm down for firefighters battling the Eagle Creek blaze through Wednesday afternoon. But gusty winds could pick back up again late Wednesday.

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 05:03:21 pm »
The haze is at least as far east and south, as Tulsa, Oklahoma.  It got progressively hazier as we drove home to the Denver area Monday.  The haze made the sunset in Tulsa, Sunday, extra red.  I was trying to explain the whole thing to my middle granddaughter.  The conversation ended with me saying, "It's not a different planet, Shannet."  My writes bad poetry when I'm tired.  Anyway, please stay safe, peeps.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 06:18:49 pm »
So... last night the fire crept as far north as Crown Point -

However The Fates were with us as mild counter winds entered the picture and while not pushing the fire back from whence it came, it was enough to hold it in place and not advance.

This gave fire crews a chance to work and also fire engines to thoroughly douse the Multnomah Falls Lodge and responders are now much more optimistic about it's chances for now.

A State Trooper drove down the closed freeway this morning and reported that the damage is not as severe as we all suspected from the previous nights pictures. A few black spots yes, but the Gorge is not burned to the ground as we all suspected it would be.

The 15 year old suspect (with the smart mouth) has been apprehended along with all the other kids thanks to their selfie video.

I bet they're not laughing now.

Forecast for tomorrow is for continued winds in the right direction along with some possible thunderstorms and a slight shower.

We're all crossing our fingers for the Fates to stay with us.   

The evacuation line has not moved so I am still holding tight here at home.

Remember I have experience dodging hot situations.  ;)

Many thanks for the kind words and thoughts.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:17:42 pm by A51Watcher »

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 07:42:31 pm »
The haze is at least as far east and south, as Tulsa, Oklahoma.  It got progressively hazier as we drove home to the Denver area Monday.  The haze made the sunset in Tulsa, Sunday, extra red.  I was trying to explain the whole thing to my middle granddaughter.  The conversation ended with me saying, "It's not a different planet, Shannet."  My writes bad poetry when I'm tired.  Anyway, please stay safe, peeps.

Shasta

Wow Shasta that is amazing!

Try not to breathe it!

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 05:17:10 am »
The last time it was this bad in Denver, was 2002, with the Hayman Fire.  That was local, and was also arson.  It was ignited by a forestry service technician. 

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 08:16:16 pm »

The winds we have been hoping for have arrived, and are pushing the fire back to whence it came!

MFL still in good shape and not burned!

It's not over yet by any means but our chances have greatly improved from the complete disaster we were headed for.

8)

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 10:14:37 am »
Every little piece of good news helps. 
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 02:14:20 pm »
Every little piece of good news helps.

Indeed.

"The Eagle Creek wildfire stands at 7 percent contained as of early Friday.

A combination of high humidity, moderate temperatures, very light rain and eastward-blowing wind are expected to help firefighting efforts through the weekend.

As of Thursday, the fire had grown by a couple of thousand acres in the Columbia River Gorge, torched a total of three homes in the rural Dodson area and remains the No. 1 wildfire in the nation.

Images that emerged Thursday showed charred trails and attractions.

"There are definitely areas that will look very different," said Lt. Damon Simmons, a spokesman for the Oregon State Fire Marshal.

http://www.oregonlive.com/wildfires/index.ssf/2017/09/live_updates_firefighters_gain.html

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 06:27:46 pm by A51Watcher »

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 06:15:34 pm »
A51, may the winds blow steady from the west, and the heavens open up with a steady, prolonged rain for you  8)

wild fires are one of the most terrifying events to deal with, especially on the scale you are having  8)
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 06:18:39 pm »
Denver still has a lot of haze.  We need some wind to clear it out.  Sometimes I think we should just hire people to wave huge fans to get some air moving.  Like those guys in the old movies, that wore turbans and fanned the local royalty with palm fronds.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 06:47:25 pm »
Thanks folks!  8)

Ok I fixed the previous video link.

And here's some footage of the battle in progress -

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2017, 07:17:41 pm »

Lot of people obviously have the fear of god in them on this one, but a collection of some of the best footage -

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2017, 08:48:13 pm »
I had a quick browse the other day and noted some of the fire images, but I had no idea that the fire was so close to you A51 until I just read the thread further now .

How terrifying !  and how sad in the way it started.

as well as it being in such a amazing scenic area.

I dont know if I have ever seen  images on such a scale of intensity before of fires. Some of the images posted really help clarify things in detail of its perpective and are quite concerning... The Smoke smog ones descibes parts of the area in terms of how things are amazingly..

Just hope that the rains arrive or winds change and it burns itself out ASAP...

Its sad if the authorities cannot act to try to help towards shortening its life..

May the Gods / E.Ts be with you and help preserve your house.

But prepare to leave if need be , as I am sure you will do..in another of your great escapes... ???

How remarkable and luckily that "Z" did not move to that house he described burned down...Maybe because D.T got in instead of Hilary !

seems to be a lot of disasters around this last month or so..

with Fires , Hurricanes, and unusual weather and whatever else.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:08:33 pm by astr0144 »

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]