collapse

Author Topic: Mars Super Volcanoes... Atmosphere came from gasses released by Volcanoes ?  (Read 17948 times)

Offline The Matrix Traveller

• Gold 253
How and where the atmosphere of a planet comes from.

The latest found on Mars...

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/super-volcanoes-mars-may-have-created-atmosphere-video-5597998

Did the Earths Atmosphere also come from gas's released by Volcanoes ?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tCLqT0lfBA[/youtube]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/10352062/Supervolcano-that-transformed-Mars-found.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2441761/Did-supervolcanoes-Mars-dramatically-change-climate.html

If this happened on Mars did Our atmosphere come in the same way ?

And more to the Point, did our seas also come to the surface in the same way, from what are now today,
"Oceanic Ridges" also responsible for forming the Earths plates ?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:35:59 am by The Matrix Traveller »

deuem

And more to the Point, did our seas also come to the surface in the same way, from what are now today,
"Oceanic Ridges" also responsible for forming the Earths plates ?

I guess someone could put some Math to that question. How much steam would have to be released to get that much water. But even still to this day tons of water fall on Earth everyday from space. No water no air, that I would take to the bank.

Can air be made without plants? Enough fo an entire planet?

On the plates I think if this were the case then the Atlantic ridge would be in sub-duction but it is not, it is expanding. I also think that the continental ridges were the original water line and then something happened to bring the oceans up another 400 + feet. They are about the same height all over the world.

Deuem

• Gold 253
Hi deuem,

This may answer your Question ?

See my Post "Relocation of the Earth's Seas from above the Earth's Crust to under the Crust ?"

Quote;
A Scientific article about this....

Olivine Hydration in the Deep Upper Mantle: Effects of Temperature and Silica Activity   
J. R. Smyth1*, D. J. Frost2, F. Nestola2,3, C. M. Holl1, and G. Bromiley4
1Department of Geological Sciences, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 USA.   2Bayerisches Geoinstitut, Universität Bayreuth, 95440 Bayreuth, Germany.  3Dipartimento di Mineralogia e Petrologia, Università di Padova, Corso Garibaldi 37, I-35137 Padova, Italy.  4Department of Earth Sciences, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge, CB2 3EQ, UK

NOTE;
Quote;
In fact, olivine alone could sequester an amount of water nearly equivalent to the entire volume
of the ocean in just the upper 410 km of the mantle

As a result of vast amounts of Seawater entering into the Mantle being absorbed by the Olivine a drop
in temperature takes place and the Trenches close leaning the Seas trapped under the Earth's Crust.

Due to the mechanics involving heat being generated by Gravity and the movement of the magma like
material etc. inside the planet temperature rises again over thousands of years until pressures rise
to the point where the Oceanic ridges explode into catastrophic activity one again and water explodes
under high pressure into the atmosphere only to fall as rain once again flooding the Earth once again
forming the seas again.

• Gold 253
On the plates I think if this were the case then the Atlantic ridge would be in sub-duction but it is not, it is expanding. I also think that the continental ridges were the original water line and then something happened to bring the oceans up another 400 + feet. They are about the same height all over the world.

Deuem

Like this ?

Or....

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 04:03:26 am by The Matrix Traveller »

deuem

2 if the 3 match the Atlantic . Top and lower right. More the lower right where the continents are attached to the plate. In the top it looks like it might be sliding under.

What do you think about the continental shelf? They all seem to be at the same height. Should say dept now that they are covered with water.

deuem

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
Can air be made without plants? Enough fo an entire planet?
Probably. I think I read somewhere that before plants, the atmosphere had very little oxygen, and the creation of oxygen by photosynthesis resulted in an atmosphere that, from the point of view of the first life forms, was polluted, resulting in their death, replaced by organisms that could live in oxygen rich atmosphere.

On the plates I think if this were the case then the Atlantic ridge would be in sub-duction but it is not, it is expanding.
Why do you think that it would be in subduction? ???

deuem

If a plate is in subduction then it might pull the water  down with it. If the palte is rising then it seems to me that the water would have a harder time leaking in.

Deuem

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
Probably. I think I read somewhere that before plants, the atmosphere had very little oxygen, and the creation of oxygen by photosynthesis resulted in an atmosphere that, from the point of view of the first life forms, was polluted, resulting in their death, replaced by organisms that could live in oxygen rich atmosphere.
That is one of the fascinating things about our atmosphere.  Oxygen is pretty toxic which is why antioxidants prevent rapid ageing and cancer.  Our cells contain enzymes that mitigate against oxygen damage otherwise we'd be dead meat.

Basically oxygen is toxic but it takes about 90 years to kill you.

• Gold 253
So is this Phenomena....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5tCLqT0lfBA[/youtube]

Part of a planets "Cyclic behaviour", driven by thermodynamics ?

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
Oxygen is pretty toxic which is why antioxidants prevent rapid ageing and cancer.
That's why receiving oxygen in a hospital for six hours left me as if I was beaten by a polo team, including the horses.  :(

• Gold 253
http://io9.com/5933638/plate-tectonics-confirmed-on-mars

The above image of Valles Marineris was composed by Robert L. Hurt.

After nearly forty years of research, scientists have finally proven that plate tectonics exist on Mars.
A recently published paper by An Yin in the journal Lithosophere reveals that the origin of Valles Marineris
on Mars — the longest trough system in the solar system was formed by rifting, strike-slip faulting,
and subsurface mass removal. Yin's research now shows that Earth's surface is not the only one
in the solar system subject to the forces of plate tectonics

Quote;
Yin, who works out of UCLA, made the discovery by analyzing a hundred satellite images taken from
NASA's THEMIS spacecraft. He was able to confirm his discovery by comparing the images to geological examples
he had previously uncovered in the Himalayas, Tibet, and California — unique locations in which
the Earth's major plates divide.

A good example is California's Death Valley, an area featuring a series of cliffs that were formed
by a fault. Yin was able to compare these structures to a very smooth, flat side of a canyon wall
on Mars which he believes could only be generated by a fault. Speaking through a release,
Yin noted that, "You don't see these features anywhere else on other planets in our solar system,
other than Earth and Mars."

Yin's analysis also solves the mystery about how Valles Marineris was formed. It's the longest
and deepest system of canyons in our solar system — nearly 2,500 miles long and about nine times longer
than the Earth's Grand Canyon. The trough is like a gaping wound on the Red Planet, and given that scientists
had previously doubted the presence of tectonic activity on Mars, they were completely stumped about
how it got there.

Some had merely suggested that it was a "big crack" that had just opened up. But Yin's work shows
that Valles Marineris is in fact part of a plate boundary, one that's subject to slow, but persistent
horizontal motion; the two plates have moved about 93 miles relative to each other. He compares it
to Earth's Dead Sea fault system, a trough-like structure that is also moving horizontally.
The finding indicates that Mars may be subject to earthquakes, or what should be more appropriately
referred to as marsquakes.

The analysis also suggests that Mars's tectonic activities are excruciatingly slow, with major tectonic shifts
occurring about every million years or so. Yin suspects that Mars is subject to a different kind
of plate tectonics — one that may be the result of the planet just having two plates, as contrasted with
Earth's seven. Yin's study can be found at the journal Lithosophere.

Inset image courtesy NASA/JPL-Caltech/USGS.

Caption: Valles Marineris NASA World Wind Map Mars Credit: NASA
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 02:02:53 pm by The Matrix Traveller »

• Gold 253
Dan Vergano
National Geographic
Published October 2, 2013

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f0mh-Fimk4[/youtube]

Massive "supervolcanoes" erupted across the northern face of Mars some 3.7 billion years ago,
planetary scientists suggest. The eruptions likely blasted lava, sulfur, and ash across the red planet,
altering its atmosphere and surface.

The planets of the inner solar system—Earth, Mars, Venus, and Mercury—started their lives as boiling-hot balls
of rock, which cooled to feature thin crusts battered by asteroid and comet impacts. On Mars,
that early crust was perhaps also punctured by supersize volcanoes with calderas more than 30 miles
(50 kilometers) wide, a newly identified kind of volcanism on the red planet. (See "Mars: The Red Planet.")

"We began to find craters that weren't impact craters. So we started to wonder if what we were seeing
was volcanic," says Joseph Michalski of the Planetary Science Institute in Tucson, lead author of the study,
published today in Nature. "We can make a strong case that these were a kind of very large volcano."

Mars is already known for its volcanic features, notably Olympus Mons, a dormant volcano
some 14 miles (22 kilometers) tall and 370 miles (600 kilometers) wide, the largest volcanic mountain
in the solar system. (See "New Giant Volcano Below Sea Is Largest in the World.") However,
the newly identified supervolcanoes would point to an early era on Mars when volcanic pools
spread across its surface like fuming, open wounds.

Supervolcanoes Sighted
In the study, Michalski and his colleague, Jacob Bleacher of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center
in Greenbelt, Maryland, analyzed orbital images of the Arabia Terra highlands of northern Mars,
reporting signs of at least four massive supervolcanoes stretching across the 2,800-mile
(4,000-kilometer) plain.

These were not the familiar shield volcanoes, or mountains tipped by a narrow crater, that are widely
seen on Earth and Mars, but broad depressions some 1.1 miles (1.8 kilometers) deep. These broad
open plains of magma once would have vented massive amounts of ash and steam to the sky.
The closest comparison on Earth might be the broad volcanic caldera beneath Yellowstone National Park,
which has erupted three times over the last 2.1 million years.

"We think they would have had a profound effect on the early Martian atmosphere; we're talking
more than three billion years ago," Michalski says.

The scientists point to basalt blocks and smooth lava plains surrounding the supervolcanoes
that resemble those of caldera features on Earth to make their argument. Evidence from NASA's rover
Opportunity shows that the Meridani Planum region of Mars is a broad plain suffused with sulphur
that resembles the volcanic fallout that would be seen from supervolcanoes as well, Michalski says.

Scientific Caution
"Every decade or two someone proposes yet another otherwise previously unrecognized volcano on Mars,"
says space volcanology expert Larry Crumpler of the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science
in Albuquerque. He calls the supervolcano "an interesting new idea about Martian highlands volcanism
where none had been proposed before."

However, both Crumpler and MIT's Maria Zuber (who calls the observations "well supported") caution
that the supervolcanoes idea rests on interpretation of the Martian surface, which has a long history
of misleading observers.

"Like most remote-sensing studies it relies principally on circumstantial evidence," Crumpler says.
"Nonetheless, it postulates an intriguing direction for future research regarding what was the wettest period
in Martian geologic history."

Wetter, Warmer Mars
The effect of greenhouse gases released by these supervolcanoes particularly intrigues Michalski,
offering an avenue for investigating how warm Mars was in the early years of the solar system.
Although warmer and wetter than today, the era of the supervolcanoes was likely still too early
to figure in discussions of life on Mars, he adds. "A lot of people want to look at this from
the 'life on Mars' angle, but I don't think that's what is important here," he says.

Zuber says that the supervolcanoes, if they do prove to have once littered the red planet,
will only add to the picture that scientists have of the early Martian atmosphere.
The massive Tharsis region of Mars, home to Olympus Mons and several other large dormant volcanoes,
already has been accounted for in ancient climate studies, Zuber says, "so these [supervolcano]
observations do not substantially modify the view of the planet's climatic evolution."

• Gold 253
Lake Taupo in NZ is one such "Supervolcano"

It is situated in about the Centre of the North Island of NZ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Taupo

Lake Taupo has a perimeter of approximately 193 kilometres, a deepest point of 186 metres.

Here is a photo of what may be a 'Lava Dome" left behind in the Lake, the whole Lake being the Volcano itself !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAMrY7ty0dc[/youtube]

deuem

Hi Matrix,

I think they will find at least a third plate. It should work better than 2. With 2 the chances of 1 in subduduction seem hard to see..  It would mean that half the planet is sliding under the other half. It might be more of a rip we see there caused by tons of pressure elswhere. If it is just moving then at the bottom of that trench should be so rather fresh Martian ground. The inside turning out. If you squeze a grape it will slit on the side. This is what I see so far. Without the adition of billions of tons of moveable water there is little presure put on the surface unless it is volcanic flow.

I also like the guy that thinks it was hit by a solar class lightning storm. He showed that the shape can be caused in this way. So the ground was just evaporated when hit.

Another said it split open and the water went inside. All the slopes show a runn off style of erosion.

Deuem, need to pack the sauser and just go find out. Nice job on the thread Matrix, keep it comming...

• Gold 253
I think they will find at least a third plate. It should work better than 2. With 2 the chances of 1 in subduduction seem hard to see..

"Recycling" of the Earths Crust ?

A very intelligent system, produced by LIFE I guess..   :)

We need to look from the Outside in, to see...

All is NOT governed by human reason I guess....   :)

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter