collapse

Author Topic: Odessa-Midland Shootings  (Read 899 times)

Offline Sgt.Rocknroll

• Gold 343
  • Miss you Zorgon
    • Sgt.Rocknroll
Odessa-Midland Shootings
« on: September 04, 2019, 04:10:18 am »
The following is being posted by me on behalf of our member Smilingtree:
Smilingtree asked me to post this.

"On Saturday, my community was taken over by a shooter on a rampage. Evil came to town and was killing people as it drove through the town.

I listened to the police scanner so was aware of all that the cops were going through, and all of the terrifying mayhem that goes along with it. My daughters boyfriend is a cop that was out there trying to stop him, so we were worried about him along with all the cops we personally know and all the people in his path. We were frantically calling our friends and loved ones to make sure they were somewhere safe inside. Alerts kept blasting on our phones for people to stay indoors, don’t leave home there were active shooters. It was a living nightmare.

We could hear when our police officer said “I’m hit, I’m hit!!” “Where are you?!” “In the field behind Cinergy”.  We could here the confusion when the cops were asking “What Cinergy? Midland or Odessa’s”.

We could hear so many other things but that was the worse... we had just lost a cop in March of this year and he also had said, “I’ve been hit”. But when the other officers rounded the building, it was too late for him, he was gone 😢

We could hear active shooter at Twin Peaks, active shooter at Walmart, active shooter at the mall, on and on. Everyone, including the cops thought there were multiple shooters. After he had shot the Trooper that was trying to stop him, he went into a neighborhood and hijacked and killed a postal worker and stole her mail van. So no one knew he had changed vehicles. And no one knew he was driving and shooting people as he went. The 911 dispatcher was just taking calls about active shooting and trying to direct her officers. This was such a different shooting event! It just appeared there were multiple shooters everywhere.

I can’t describe the terror and anxiety that we felt, my daughter and I, as we listened in real time. Never did any one person in this town think that it would ever happen to us. As our Mayor said, “ We are just an Oil Town out here in the middle of dusty, old nowhere”.  And we aren’t very big really. You can drive from one side of town to the other in 12 minutes. We have grown from 80,000 people to around 140,000 people in 10 yrs because of the oil boom. We are pretty much the largest oil producers in the US.  We go by Midland-Odessa the “Permian Basin”. We are 2 towns in the middle of a dry desert that are 18 miles apart but have almost grown together these past 10 years. We have Midland as the White Collar town where the oil producers and owners live, and then Odessa is the Blue Collar town where the service people live and the strip clubs are and the gaming rooms and the crime happens. Midland looks clean, Odessa not so much. We don’t allow ugliness in Midland. And we have huge battles in football. The movie ‘Friday Night Lights’ and then the TV show, were based off our Odessa High School.

We aren’t close to any water, or mountains or freely growing trees. Our land is flat and dusty.

So this was so unexpected. So very unexpected to happen to small town USA.

Shooting started in between Midland and Odessa. Went into Odessa, through it and then headed back to Midland. So both towns Officers and all agencies were involved in this. At the same exact time... someone did a beer run and then ran from the cops flying 100mph down the streets of the town. But still, he was an active shooter because he was shooting at them but not random people as was the killer.

It was horrifying to listen to. And know people were getting shot.

Never did I think I would go through this.

So many victims. 7 dead and 22 injured. We had to use both hospitals in both towns as they are both small. A 17 mo old child got shot in the mouth and she had to be flight lifted to another town 2 hrs away as we don’t have a trauma center for children.

Later, we find out he had been fired from his job that morning. He and his boss got into a huge heated argument that led to the boss telling other employees to go lock the gate so he couldn’t leave, that he was calling 911. Well the shooter drove and busted through the locked gate and took off. So when he was getting pulled over for a routine traffic stop, he thought it was because his boss had called 911. Well, he himself had also had called 911, AND the FBI tip line to complain about his injustices.
He made NO THREATS on either call. So the FBI was in the process of finding out who the caller was and what was his location. But the call and the shooting were only 15 mins apart so they hadn’t the time yet.

It ended at Cinergy which is a big movie complex with a small bowling alley and laser  tag for kids. Many birthday parties there beside 10 movie screens.

The cops rammed him in the back of the theatre and then another cop ran over to him and shot and killed him. Not before he also shot two cops and wounded many others.
Our Chief of Police and Mayors and DPS Spokesperson and the FBI spokesperson have briefed us every day on the ongoing investigation which only wrapped up today as there were 15 crime scenes. They were gathering every shell casing and whatever else crime scene officers do and they were doing it thoroughly. The FBI was involved because of the deceased Postal Worker.
There were many cars and trucks with bullet holes. Our towns have never seen anything like this. Odessa is 20 officers short and Midland is 50 officers short because you can make more money working in the oilfield.

Now we have been hearing the victims horror stories and crying with them.
But our two towns rallied and pulled together and flooded the first responders with food and necessities. We’ve been having prayer vigils and community gatherings. We are West Texas Strong and we are healing.

Thank you for reading story

Much love,
Smilingtree
Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini Tuo da gloriam

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
Re: Odessa-Midland Shootings
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 09:48:24 am »
Thanks for relaying that post from Smilingtree, Sarge; I am sure the whole community is in an uproar and state of shock, also glad to hear that the community is pulling together in an effort to support one another as they recover from this...

Seeker
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]