collapse

Author Topic: William Shatner Says CGI Technology Is The Key To His Return To Star Trek  (Read 1538 times)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
William Shatner Says CGI Technology Is The Key To His Return To Star Trek

The UK’s Daily Mail caught up with the original Captain Kirk, where he chatted about the prospect of returning to do a Star Trek movie, possibly the one currently in development with producer J.J. Abrams, pitched by Quentin Tarantino. William Shatner made it clear he doesn’t know if the team is considering his involvement, but he suggested technology may be the way to make it happen:

J.J. has never indicated bringing Captain Kirk back and I don’t know how you would do that fifty years later. How do you rationalize my present appearance with what I was like fifty years ago? On the other hand, I have recently connected with a virtual reality company – Ziva – and they virtual realized me [with] 240 cameras all around shooting me. So, they now can produce my body and my face in any way, shape or form, including what I was like 50 years ago.

When asked if he would be interested in returning to the role of Kirk, Shatner made it clear he is ready.

Oh, lord yes. What an interesting role that was, and what it could be 50 years later. Captain Kirk is caught somewhere in the byways of the universe.

Tarantino is a great director and I would love to work with him. [To appear] would be a wonderful thing. The fans have been so supportive.

This isn’t the first time Shatner has held his hand up to let the powers that be know he is interested; just a few weeks ago he noted he would “absolutely” return to the franchise for Tarantino’s Trek.

Virtual Kirk?

Using computer technology to de-age actors has been used a number of times in feature films in recent years, even going back to 2006 when Patrick Stewart was made younger in X-Men: The Last Stand. More recently we have also seen characters based on younger actors that were entirely computer generated, such as Princess Leia and Grand Moff Tarkin in 2016’s Rogue One.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/02/03/william-shatner-says-cgi-technology-is-the-key-to-his-return-to-star-trek/

They did a really good job with Grand Moff Tarkin... you couldn't tell it was the real guy, who passed away before they made Rogue One. The young Leia was easy  It was just a short clip

So with all the Hollywood actors messing in politics and threatening to strike or leave... they better be careful  They are now all expendable :P

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
Re: William Shatner Says CGI Technology Is The Key To His Return To Star Trek
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 09:59:27 pm »
I love it.  He'll keep going until they bury him. <3
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 02:21:46 am »
So with all the Hollywood actors messing in politics and threatening to strike or leave... they better be careful  They are now all expendable :P
They always were, people remember them today but forget about them tomorrow, when a new star appears.

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 11:13:26 am »

maybe they'll  put him in his star trek uniform in a see thur box and launch him after the car..
Gene went as ashes

that car is soooooooooooo wow

Offline Titan

• Regular Members
  • Gold 5
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 05:38:47 am »
Some older folks might remember a film from the 80's called "Looker".  One unique (for it's time) gimmick in the film was that actors had been made obsolete by computer technology.  They would scan models in a big laser scanning room and then could insert them as actors in anything they wanted.
That film left an imprint on me years ago so it's been amazing to see it becoming reality over the last several years.  With voice reproduction synthesis getting close to perfection and neural network technology (look up documentaries on DeepFakes) we are pretty much there, since tech available to any one of us can create a fake video of someone that is nearly indistinguishable from the real thing.  Very soon video/photo evidence of anything will be useless since it will be so easy to fake it.  Now I can only imagine how much farther ahead secret tech is when even layman can get do this stuff on their laptop.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter