collapse

Author Topic: $trange €vent.  (Read 13290 times)

Offline Cyanhide

• Regular Members
  • Gold 6
Re: $trange €vent.
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 01:52:48 pm »
I was just about to say that indeed Belgium is currently thinking of shutting down 2 reactors, the given explanation is they would both show cracks in the "cooling system"

Whats up with all these nuclear installations going haywire or are they shutting down out of fear because they know something is about to happen ?

Cyanhide

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 02:07:09 pm »
What's up is that all these reactors are getting old. When buildings and equipment gets old entropy sets in and cracks and deterioration sets in.

When radiation is involved. entropy is increased

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 02:15:12 pm »
Whoever came up with the idea of using a stationary nuclear bomb to drive a steam turbine, needs to be tied up, and put in the very center of one of them, right before it explodes.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline SarK0Y

• Pegasus Alternate Energy Team
  • Gold 37
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 04:14:32 pm »
I was just about to say that indeed Belgium is currently thinking of shutting down 2 reactors, the given explanation is they would both show cracks in the "cooling system"

Whats up with all these nuclear installations going haywire or are they shutting down out of fear because they know something is about to happen ?

Cyanhide
waaaaaaaaahhhhh..... in short, worst case makes impossible to cool those damned pets.
I do What Me'n'Universum  want :-)

Offline Cyanhide

• Regular Members
  • Gold 6
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 10:49:52 am »
Aha, okay seems like most logical they are getting outdated. I still believe mankind should have invested more in Nuclear Energy. I still think is just amazing the power,
but they should have gone further in finding ways to make it safer and more productive.

I always wondered why not make a nuclear  reactor in a perfect cooled sphere. And use the sphere as a medium to pass the energy.

Cyanhide

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 12:24:47 pm »
Aha, okay seems like most logical they are getting outdated. I still believe mankind should have invested more in Nuclear Energy. I still think is just amazing the power,
but they should have gone further in finding ways to make it safer and more productive.

I always wondered why not make a nuclear  reactor in a perfect cooled sphere. And use the sphere as a medium to pass the energy.

Cyanhide

Or we could end the coverup of aetheric and the various other forms of power generation which already exist, and use those, rather than continuing to try and use a technological dead end, which has the potential to render the planet completely uninhabitable.

Nuclear power generation is a disastrously stupid idea.  With isolated exceptions, perhaps, such as the use of radiology in medicine, any research or use of technologies which either require radioactive materials, or rely on nuclear combustion, should be completely abandoned.  It isn't just that it's unsafe; the issue is also that it is completely unnecessary.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

PLAYSWITHMACHINES

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 01:47:15 pm »
Gold for that, Petrus, that's the whole point 8)

Dungeness in Kent (one of the most beutiful parts of england) is probably the oldest in the world, they should have closed it down 15 years ago, but the 'decomissioning' was deemed too expensive.

"hell, lets just run it till it explodes, we'll be rich by then, and in the Bahamas"
That's the way they think....

Offline SarK0Y

• Gold 37

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 05:33:09 pm »

The problem is we are NOT using nuclear POWER we are merely taking radioactive material and boiling water with it... and contaminating everything it touches.

A nuclear recctor is a glorified STEAM ENGINE nothing more.

Until we get smart enough to use that energy directly, as in a solar collector, they should stop wasting the stuff.

We can burn our trash with a scrubber on the chimney to boil water. We can use COAL with a SCRUBBER on the chimney to boil water. Coal is burning in the ground all over the world already lets use that first

Save the isotopes for the future when we learn how to use the stuff wisely

Offline SarK0Y

• Gold 37
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 06:57:28 pm »
http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2012/08/13/one-reactor-at-calvert-cliffs-nuclear-plant-in-maryland-closed-baltimore-sun/
The incident, which occurred Sunday, didn't pose a public risk, a spokesman for Constellation Energy Nuclear Group, or CENG, told the newspaper.
so sedative words from official monkeys :) perhaps bot would be more useful in role of spokesperson because it'$ more cheap w/ the identical B$ mantra sheeple, everything gone hella well. ;D

Offline rdunk

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 389
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 07:13:26 pm »
zorgon, is there any reason something like this, on a larger scale, can't be configured for home use, do do as you suggest??

From wiki/Rover Curiosity

Curiosity is powered by a radioisotope thermoelectric generator (RTG), like the successful Viking 1 and Viking 2 Mars landers in 1976.

Radioisotope power systems (RPSs) are generators that produce electricity from the natural decay of plutonium-238, which is a non-fissile isotope of plutonium. Heat given off by the natural decay of this isotope is converted into electricity, providing constant power during all seasons and through the day and night, and waste heat can be used via pipes to warm systems, freeing electrical power for the operation of the vehicle and instruments.

Curiosity's RTG is fueled by 4.8 kg (11 lb) of plutonium-238 dioxide supplied by the U.S. Department of Energy packed in 32 cubes, each about the size of a marshmallow (?20 cm3).

Curiosity's power generator is the latest RTG generation built by Boeing and Idaho National Laboratory, called the "Multi-Mission Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator" or MMRTG. Based on classical RTG technology, it represents a more flexible and compact development step, and is designed to produce 125 watts of electrical power from about 2000 watts of thermal power at the start of the mission. 

The MMRTG produces less power over time as its plutonium fuel decays: at its minimum lifetime of 14 years, electrical power output is down to 100 watts. The power source will generate 9 MJ (2.5 kilowatt hours) per day, much more than the Mars Exploration Rovers' solar panels, which can generate about 2.1 MJ (0.6 kilowatt hours) per day.

The electrical output from the MMRTG charges two rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. This enables the power subsystem to meet peak power demands of rover activities when the demand temporarily exceeds the generator’s steady output level. Each battery has a capacity of about 42 amp-hours.

Offline SarK0Y

• Gold 37
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 07:38:13 pm »
zorgon, is there any reason something like this, on a larger scale, can't be configured for home use, do do as you suggest??

From wiki/Rover Curiosity

Curiosity is powered by a radioisotope thermoelectric generator (RTG), like the successful Viking 1 and Viking 2 Mars landers in 1976.

Radioisotope power systems (RPSs) are generators that produce electricity from the natural decay of plutonium-238, which is a non-fissile isotope of plutonium. Heat given off by the natural decay of this isotope is converted into electricity, providing constant power during all seasons and through the day and night, and waste heat can be used via pipes to warm systems, freeing electrical power for the operation of the vehicle and instruments.

Curiosity's RTG is fueled by 4.8 kg (11 lb) of plutonium-238 dioxide supplied by the U.S. Department of Energy packed in 32 cubes, each about the size of a marshmallow (?20 cm3).

Curiosity's power generator is the latest RTG generation built by Boeing and Idaho National Laboratory, called the "Multi-Mission Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator" or MMRTG. Based on classical RTG technology, it represents a more flexible and compact development step, and is designed to produce 125 watts of electrical power from about 2000 watts of thermal power at the start of the mission. 

The MMRTG produces less power over time as its plutonium fuel decays: at its minimum lifetime of 14 years, electrical power output is down to 100 watts. The power source will generate 9 MJ (2.5 kilowatt hours) per day, much more than the Mars Exploration Rovers' solar panels, which can generate about 2.1 MJ (0.6 kilowatt hours) per day.

The electrical output from the MMRTG charges two rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. This enables the power subsystem to meet peak power demands of rover activities when the demand temporarily exceeds the generator’s steady output level. Each battery has a capacity of about 42 amp-hours.

Just look at their efficiency  ;)

Offline SarK0Y

• Gold 37
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 12:29:01 pm »
Como said ratepayers are being charged $650 million a year, or about $54 million a month, for maintenance and operation of the plant even though its two reactors are offline.
"Neither unit is generating electricity or providing other ongoing benefits to customers," Como wrote.
State law says ratepayer payments can be suspended if a power plant is down for nine months. San Onofre won't hit that mark until November but the advocate said it's unlikely to restart earlier.
"Unit 2 will not be online anytime soon and that Unit 3 may never return to service," Como said.
The law allowing utilities to collect plant costs "is not intended to be a free pass for utilities to earn a return on nonfunctioning hardware for nine months,"
--------------
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_21308274/rate-cut-suggested-san-onofre-ratepayers
funny logic from folks out there  :) if they have no desire to fund crippled facility, the thing will be going to f*Kingly meltdown soon 'cause operator will do its best to hurry process through as hell.

Offline SarK0Y

• Gold 37

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 06:12:55 pm »

very difficult to get Plutonum 238 for home use :P

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]