collapse

Author Topic: What is the color of water?  (Read 5909 times)

Offline BillSmart

• Regular Members
  • Gold 0
What is the color of water?
« on: April 17, 2018, 07:42:09 pm »
Why does The Living Moon require an incorrect answer to this question in order to validate a user? The correct answer is "none," or "clear," or "transparent," but certainly not the answer that The Living Moon accepts: "blue."  ???
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:44:43 pm by BillSmart »

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
Re: What is the color of water?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 07:54:58 pm »
I've seen water that looks blue, water that looks green, even water with oil floating on it.  That came out of the tap where I lived in Oklahoma.  I suppose you have a valid point.  Water is colorless on its own.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 08:14:28 pm »
There is nothing on earth that has any color...

The color we see is caused by reflected light of a certain frequency...

Since water absorbs the other colors of light and returns only the BLUE light, we see water as BLUE  The green and brown yucky water appears that way because of OTHER impurities in the water

But from our point of view when we mean 'color' we mean the color it APPEARS to us as  and water  is BLUE  as you can see in these icebergs

Icebergs are frozen almost pure water... and they are BLUE

When you look at a small quantity of water, yes it appears to be clear

Color of water

When water is in small quantities (e.g. in a glass) it appears colorless to the human eye
The color of water varies with the ambient conditions in which that water is present. While relatively small quantities of water appear to be colorless, pure water has a slight blue color that becomes a deeper blue as the thickness of the observed sample increases. The blue hue of water is an intrinsic property and is caused by selective absorption and scattering of white light. Dissolved elements or suspended impurities may give water a different color.

So... since you got in you obviously 'guessed' at the correct answer...

However you may have to be reeducated a tad to accept reality...

::)

:P

8)

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 09:11:28 pm »
I was taught, in Dr. Bank's chemistry class, that water is a colorless, tasteless, odorless compound. 
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 10:16:27 pm »
I was taught, in Dr. Bank's chemistry class, that water is a colorless, tasteless, odorless compound.

I do not doubt that  :P  But not all old Chemistry professors were right.   Take a deep clean WHITE pail  and fill it with clean or distilled water...  I bet it will show a slight tint of blue.  :D

MY Chemistry proffesor in High School was a University prof.  He was so upset with what the high schools were sending out he quit the Univ. to take a job in High School chemistry  to make sure the kids going to college had it right :D

And if water was odorless... how do animals smell water from miles away?

HOW FAR CAN AN ELEPHANT SMELL WATER?

An elephant's trunk is good for more than bringing food to his mouth and squirting water over his back -- it's well designed to work as a nose. Elephants have keen smelling abilities, sensing water from several miles away. They also use their smelling abilities to warn them of dangers and help them recognize other elephants across great distances.

Smelling Water

Elephants' keen sense of smell helps them find water up to 12 miles away, SeaWorld reports. They often wave their trunks in the air, gathering scent particles that give them not only the smell of water, but which direction and about how far away it is. Their trunks also smell potential dangers, helping them decide between bodies of water if they detect more than one.

http://animals.mom.me/far-can-elephant-smell-water-2883.html

As for TASTE of Water
Can You Actually Taste Water?

Today's question: can humans taste water? Flies can. Are you going to let a Drosophila show you up?

It's unclear whether humans can actually taste water. Yes, we can taste the minerals and various impurities in our tap water. We can feel the water sloshing around in our mouths. But can we actually taste H20 in all of its wet deliciousness? If we can't, then it's another win for our six-legged nemeses, the dreaded insects. Sure, insects may have a greater biomass than humans and possess all sorts of marvelously stabby appendages, but we Homo sapiens have the scientific method. And hooch!

According to cell biologist Peter Cameron of UC Berkeley, "Insects have a unique set of neurons, including water sensing ones, but the actual water taste receptor was [until recently] unknown." In a recent study Cameron published in Nature - "The molecular basis for water taste in Drosophila" - Cameron and his team isolated a protein, PPK28, that allows flies to taste water. PPK28 may not be the only mechanism that allows flies to taste water, but Cameron notes that "evidence strongly suggests that PPK28 alone serves as the water sensor; it doesn't seem to sense anything else."

Okay, so those stupid flies can taste water. But can humans? Hopefully Cameron's work will jumpstart awesomely trivial research concerning the human capacity to taste water. In the meantime, what are you going to do for science? You're going to have a WATER TASTING PARTY.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5514674/can-you-actually-taste-water
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:20:57 pm by zorgon »

Offline BillSmart

• Regular Members
  • Gold 0
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 02:52:21 am »
Water itself is colorless and odorless. It's the impurities in the water that give it a color or hue and an odor.

And yes, I answered the question satisfactorily to register because when my correct answer was rejected, I imputed the satisfactory incorrect answer.

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 01:51:14 pm »
And yes, I answered the question satisfactorily to register because when my correct answer was rejected, I imputed the satisfactory incorrect answer.

Well at least you are not a spam bot (though you sound like one :P ) and were able to figure it out,

So  what color is the sky on Mars?  :D

Maybe I will make that the new question

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56