collapse

Author Topic: Star Trek Worth Seeing?  (Read 4775 times)

Offline Somamech

• Order of the Mystic Star
  • Gold 337
Star Trek Worth Seeing?
« on: May 22, 2013, 11:19:29 am »
I know both Undo and Ellerium are very into this section but it's probably the most fitting section to post this in as it's entertainment and sci fi gaming!

So has anyone seen the new Star Trek movie? and if you have is it worth dishing out buck's to see.

I ask as it seem's anti trek to me in delving up old character's. 

Yay or Nay, or in-between wait for blu-ray?

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
Re: Star Trek Worth Seeing?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 11:52:56 am »
I know both Undo and Ellerium are very into this section but it's probably the most fitting section to post this in as it's entertainment and sci fi gaming!

So has anyone seen the new Star Trek movie? and if you have is it worth dishing out buck's to see.

I haven't seen it yet.  I'm strongly debating seeing it cinematically, and will probably wait for a DVD rip to show up on isohunt, purely in order to satisfy my mild curiosity.  I very rarely go and see a movie at the cinema now, because Hollywood has gone down the toilet in the last 20 years or so, comparitively speaking.  I actually pay that little attention that I tend to even miss the few good films that still come out; I only just caught Inception while it was still playing.

I have seen reviews of Into Darkness, and they generally seem to indicate more or less what I was expecting.  A big, loud, dumb popcorn retread of The Wrath of Khan.  Lots of flashes, bangs, and explosions, but relatively short on intelligence.  I thought the 2009 film was ok in terms of characterisation, but was very unhappy about the idea of re-enacting 9/11 within Star Trek, which is basically what Abrams did.

Given how expensive a trip to the movies is now, (at least $40 for me usually, because I eat as well) I would probably recommend waiting for the DVD.  It will only be another month or so, and I somehow really don't think that this is a film that you need to be impatient for.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline undo11

• Creator of game worlds
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 226
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 12:01:06 pm »
i thought it was great.  i was not exactly comfortable with one of the characterizations but i can't tell you what it was, cause i don't want to spoil it.  the big screen really added to the fx, which are so much better now than they were back when the first trek movies came out.  i suggest seeing it at the cinema. eat first, then go. hehe

i made the mistake of driniking a large ice tea first and spent the last half hour trying to ignore that i needed to pee.  man that was uncomfortable.  won't do that to myself again.   but i didn't want to miss any of the film so refused to get up and use the restroom.   
JOIN THE GAME!
Are you a programmer or 3d modeler?  We need you here: http://www.thelivingmoon.com/forum1/index.php?topic=530.0

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 12:09:42 pm »
I haven't seen it yet.  I'm strongly debating seeing it cinematically, and will probably wait for a DVD rip to show up on isohunt, purely in order to satisfy my mild curiosity.  I very rarely go and see a movie at the cinema now, because Hollywood has gone down the toilet in the last 20 years or so, comparitively speaking.  I actually pay that little attention that I tend to even miss the few good films that still come out; I only just caught Inception while it was still playing.

I have seen reviews of Into Darkness, and they generally seem to indicate more or less what I was expecting.  A big, loud, dumb popcorn retread of The Wrath of Khan.  Lots of flashes, bangs, and explosions, but relatively short on intelligence.  I thought the 2009 film was ok in terms of characterisation, but was very unhappy about the idea of re-enacting 9/11 within Star Trek, which is basically what Abrams did.

Given how expensive a trip to the movies is now, (at least $40 for me usually, because I eat as well) I would probably recommend waiting for the DVD.  It will only be another month or so, and I somehow really don't think that this is a film that you need to be impatient for.

I am even worse than you then Petrus LOL

The last movie I saw at the cinema's was war of the worlds (huge let down) which irked me beyond belief apart from the sound... Sound designer was amazing and was worth listening to.  Is there some way of ridding the world of tom cruise? LOL

RIP Ray Harryhausen whilst I am here!  True master :D

Offline undo11

• Creator of game worlds
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 226
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 12:16:54 pm »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-YnMQkEBK0[/youtube]

;D
JOIN THE GAME!
Are you a programmer or 3d modeler?  We need you here: http://www.thelivingmoon.com/forum1/index.php?topic=530.0

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 12:18:50 pm »
i thought it was great.  i was not exactly comfortable with one of the characterizations but i can't tell you what it was, cause i don't want to spoil it.  the big screen really added to the fx, which are so much better now than they were back when the first trek movies came out.  i suggest seeing it at the cinema. eat first, then go. hehe

i made the mistake of driniking a large ice tea first and spent the last half hour trying to ignore that i needed to pee.  man that was uncomfortable.  won't do that to myself again.   but i didn't want to miss any of the film so refused to get up and use the restroom.

Ok as long as it doesn't have tom cruise in it improvising script I may find interest in it LOL

Peeing or shitting when unexpected suck's... I suffered the latter before I left for my taiwan holiday when testing my leg's out for the upcoming marathon... Nothing worse than a couple of KM's into a run looking for a toilet to the point the old turd get's backed up and it all ok apart from realizing I lost a about 15 minutes in leg test time whilst scouting about LOL

It is Star Trek and there may be some really cool conept's in there worth seeing even though i dislike the fact Spock is reincarnated as Spock LOL

Offline burntheships

• Administrator
  • Gold 277
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 12:32:47 pm »
Is there some way of ridding the world of tom cruise? LOL

Mission Impossible.

I will never understand what people see in him,
and for that matter how he had two women agree to marry him.

LOL!

War of the Worlds was terrible!

I do want to see Star Trek, will wait for the DVD as Petrus.
"This is the Documentary Channel"
- Zorgon

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 12:45:38 pm »
Mission Impossible.

I will never understand what people see in him,
and for that matter how he had two women agree to marry him.

LOL!

War of the Worlds was terrible!

I do want to see Star Trek, will wait for the DVD as Petrus.

It seems that way.. Mission Impossible  ;D  and I suspect he has a lot of Improv in his role's which make's him even more gag worthy LOL

Edward

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 01:10:23 pm »

Yes it's worth seeing.   Yes it's a good movie.   Is it great, no.  Well in my  eye's its not a great movie but it may be for someone else.  It's  good movie worth spending the bucks to see it.  I'd prob. go see it again, heck I already seen  Oblivion twice( which I highly recommend for everyone) and Iron Man 3, twice. 

Edward

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 01:52:42 pm »

Yes it's worth seeing.   Yes it's a good movie.   Is it great, no.  Well in my  eye's its not a great movie but it may be for someone else.  It's  good movie worth spending the bucks to see it.  I'd prob. go see it again, heck I already seen  Oblivion twice( which I highly recommend for everyone) and Iron Man 3, twice. 

Edward

Taken on board mate from someone who really should get out and see a movie.  Like i said the moview I recalled at the time was War of The worlds which sucked for visuals and story but Sound was worth it.

The other "last movie i saw" was maybe not Family Friendly which my now wife took me to see before we were even close to being married.  One thing was for sure that my now wife and i had a good solid LOL over the intro to "The Wayward Cloud"

My wife didnt know at the time what this movie was about, all she she knew was that it was a Taiwanese Film and it was good to take her Boyfriend out to see a Taiwanese Film.  LMAO   ;D ;D ;D

????? The Wayward Cloud (2005) 18sx

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJEUGViI4Kk[/youtube]

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 02:27:12 pm »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-YnMQkEBK0[/youtube]

;D

I note He mentions Jim Danforth...  Interesting fact:  the animation in Flesh Gordon (the XXX-rated film) was done by Mij Htrofnad...
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline undo11

• Creator of game worlds
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 226
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 02:29:43 pm »
ama.

oh dear lol
JOIN THE GAME!

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 02:54:56 pm »
Yeah, He didn't want His name associated with it at all, but the film maker insisted They put something, and so...spell it backwards.
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 09:19:59 pm »
Going to hold out until Blu-Ray. If I'm going to watch it, it is going to be on my own home theatre and in the right comfort zone.  8)

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 12:25:05 pm »
I note He mentions Jim Danforth...  Interesting fact:  the animation in Flesh Gordon (the XXX-rated film) was done by Mij Htrofnad...

Hey seeing I did lower the tone with some truth in that last post about one ignorant film i watched Amy....

Did you ever check over Nude's on the Moon ?

That was a totally odd ball story that make's one wonder how the line's blur between those on the base and those willing to tell a story :D

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter