collapse

Author Topic: San Onofre - America's Fukushima?  (Read 22052 times)

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
Re: San Onofre - America's Fukushima?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 12:46:16 pm »
Sar, Why not - if it is built with safety in mind.  The same could be said for the electric gadgets when electricity was first discovered.  What of a box that One can plug in One's appliances, electronics, heaters, etc?  Where is the issue with that?
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 01:03:22 pm »
Matter of FucT is, effective decommissioning needs new techs & modern ones been too expensive + too long to take'em seriously, so regular protests are useless to solve trouble.

Greetings:

Nice to see passengers on deck... ;)

so regular protests are useless to solve trouble

As a 4+decade devotee of DENY NUCLEAR, we find the phrase 'regular protests' particularly intriguing.

Care to elucidate further?

Peace Love Light

tfw   

Liberty & Equality or Revolution

EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 02:13:47 pm »
Sar, Why not - if it is built with safety in mind.  The same could be said for the electric gadgets when electricity was first discovered.

You are too naive and trusting :P

You know those modern fluorescent light bulbs? energy efficient and built with safety in mind?

Those puppies will burn your house down  :o

(see post in light bulb thread :P )

Offline SarK0Y

• Pegasus Alternate Energy Team
  • Gold 37
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 02:54:14 pm »
Sar, Why not - if it is built with safety in mind.  The same could be said for the electric gadgets when electricity was first discovered.  What of a box that One can plug in One's appliances, electronics, heaters, etc?  Where is the issue with that?
Amy, hella much "IFs" :( + Zorgon is damned Right on that: safety always been stepchild in this civilization.
I do What Me'n'Universum  want :-)

Offline SarK0Y

• Gold 37
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 03:15:18 pm »
Greetings:

Nice to see passengers on deck... ;)

As a 4+decade devotee of DENY NUCLEAR, we find the phrase 'regular protests' particularly intriguing.

Care to elucidate further?

Peace Love Light

tfw   

Liberty & Equality or Revolution
4 example,  i have had Rights to live on the La Luna. but who damned cares a little about? at now, no savvy methods exist to provide my Rights. so why i need to waste Time 4 useless protests? Worldly Wisdom suggests to find needed techs & to go further. in short, more efficient way 4 you is to help me w/ this project.

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 11:18:36 am »
You are too naive and trusting :P

You know those modern fluorescent light bulbs? energy efficient and built with safety in mind?

Those puppies will burn your house down  :o

(see post in light bulb thread :P )

And You can bet that THEY knew the dangers when They marketed them - made a whole governmental push to convert Us to their use.  Reaks of eugenic purpose what with the mercury, fires, etc.  (Spidy sense says so too...)

Trusting???  No.  But if We understand the goal (no exchange/money needed, follow Our bliss, etc.) then the effort to ensure safety will be part of the deal.  Why risk what will become One's currency (reputation) in an exchangeless, moneyless society?  Better to produce to the BEST of One's ability rather than to some agenda...
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 11:23:14 am »
Amy, hella much "IFs" :( + Zorgon is damned Right on that: safety always been stepchild in this civilization.

Why do We need to be babysat in this society.  Explain the risks, make sure it's as safe as possible, and let Us take care of Ourselves?  If an adult is fully informed and proceeds without caution, causing bodily harm to Self, think of it as evolution in action (thank You, Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle).  If a child or One unaware of what the Other is doing is hurt...lock up the idiot.

I wear a helmet when I ride a motorcycle - but I seethe knowing there is someOne MANDATING that I wear one.  I am NOT a child.  Human adults are NOT children.

Offline SarK0Y

• Gold 37
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 02:30:16 pm »
Why do We need to be babysat in this society.  Explain the risks, make sure it's as safe as possible, and let Us take care of Ourselves?  If an adult is fully informed and proceeds without caution, causing bodily harm to Self, think of it as evolution in action (thank You, Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle).  If a child or One unaware of what the Other is doing is hurt...lock up the idiot.

I wear a helmet when I ride a motorcycle - but I seethe knowing there is someOne MANDATING that I wear one.  I am NOT a child.  Human adults are NOT children.
Amy, civilization has destructed own Cradle, has no way to the Moon ain't children..... silly children, right?  :)

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 07:21:12 pm »

Radioactive buckyballs from Fukushima invade California beaches

June 17 June 2012
by: J. D. Heyes

As the fallout - no pun intended - from Japan's tsunami-damaged nuclear reactors at its Fukushima complex continues to worsen, scientists are now concerned about another related phenomenon that appears to be invading the U.S. West Coast - buckyballs.

What, exactly, are those?

According to a recent University of California - Davis study, in this case the term refers to

"uranium-filled nano-spheres which were "created from the millions of tons of fresh and salt water used to try to cool down the three molten cores of the stricken reactors,"

said Michael Collins, of EnviroReporter.com - "not the small, magnetic balls that cling to each other."

The tiny, stout buckyballs - which resemble soccer balls - are said to have been formed when water hit the super-heated, primarily uranium-oxide, fuel in the damaged reactors at Fukushima.

"In this goo buckyballs are formed, loaded with uranium and able to move quickly through water without disintegrating," said the report.

"Worse, radiation readings in L.A. and Santa Monica during a 42-day period between December 2011 and January 2012, "strongly suggest that radiation is increasing in the region including along the coast in Ventura County," Collins said, adding that readings both he and the Environmental Protection Agency took appeared to indicate the unnatural presence of radiation.

"Southern California is still getting hit by Fukushima radiation at alarmingly high levels that will inevitably increase as the main bulk of polluted Pacific Ocean water reaches North America over the next two years," he asserted.

Radiation believed to be five times normal levels along parts of West Coast

Read more:
http://www.naturalnews.com/036204_Fukushima_radiation_California.html#ixzz1y5ZMsoWv

Sources:

http://www.vcreporter.com

http://www.naturalnews.com/036022_Fukushima_radiation_food_supply.html

http://www.enviroreporter.com
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 04:38:21 pm by thorfourwinds »
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 09:13:32 pm »
If a child or One unaware of what the Other is doing is hurt...lock up the idiot.

I wear a helmet when I ride a motorcycle - but I seethe knowing there is some One MANDATING that I wear one.  I am NOT a child.  Human adults are NOT children.

Well I disagree... based on observations over 30 plus years I would say a good 80% are children or idiots and if left on their own would have us in Chaos in no time

Look around the world where helmets are NOT mandatory... count the number of those wisely waring one on their own compared to those who don't

Offline SarK0Y

• Gold 37
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 07:46:39 pm »
Well I disagree... based on observations over 30 plus years I would say a good 80% are children or idiots and if left on their own would have us in Chaos in no time

Look around the world where helmets are NOT mandatory... count the number of those wisely waring one on their own compared to those who don't
mostly humans have lived in their own small worlds, day by day is the same. Even Internet cannot extend those tiny peaces by a little bit.  :)

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 05:31:55 am »

27 August 2012

SAN CLEMENTE, Calif. -- The operator of the San Onofre nuclear power plant is preparing to empty the radioactive fuel from one of its twin reactors, a federal official said Monday, another sign the plant won't be operating at full capacity anytime soon, if ever.

Tons of fuel inside the disabled Unit 3 reactor will be moved into storage in mid-September, Nuclear Regulatory Commission inspector Gregory Warnick told The Associated Press on Monday.

The plant located between Los Angeles and San Diego has been shut down since January, after a break in a tube that carries radioactive water.

Investigators later found unusual wear on scores of tubes inside the plant's four steam generators, and Southern California Edison has been trying for months to determine how to fix it.

Edison has previously said it's focusing on repairing the Unit 2 reactor, which had been taken offline earlier in January for maintenance, and that "the Unit 3 reactor will not be operating for some time."

Damage to the tubes in Unit 2 is less widespread, but there's no timetable for its possible restart.

Unit 3 "is clearly not the focus right now in terms of correcting the steam generator issues," said Warnick, the NRC's senior resident inspector at San Onofre. "Unit 3 is going to take more work."

Dave Lochbaum, director of the Union of Concerned Scientists' nuclear safety project, said placing the radioactive fuel in storage puts the reactor in a condition "requiring the least amount of safety equipment to be operable, and therefore the fewest number of tests and inspections to be performed."

Coming shortly after Edison announced plans to cut its workforce, "reducing the scope of required work at the job site is a good thing to do before discharging workers," Lochbaum said.

Edison spokeswoman Jennifer Manfre said in a statement that removing fuel from the unit "will best allow us to maintain the unit as testing, analysis and repair planning continue."

Traces of radiation escaped at the time of Unit 3's tube break, but officials said there was no danger to workers or neighbors. A three-month federal probe blamed a botched computer analysis for generator design flaws that ultimately resulted in excessive wear to alloy tubes.

About 7.4 million Californians live within 50 miles of San Onofre, which can power 1.4 million homes.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 04:43:03 pm by thorfourwinds »

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2012, 05:51:41 am »

12 September 2012

Edison International told Nuclear Regulatory Commission Chairman Allison Macfarlane that they would send the agency a letter by the end of the first week of October outlining the root causes of the problems at San Onofre Unit 2 as well as a restart plan.

Reviewing the letter will take “longer than days and weeks. It will be on the order of months to understand whether they have understood well enough the root causes of the problem,” she said, adding,

“We will not let this plant
start up unless we are
absolutely convinced that
it is safe to operate.”

Ms. Macfarlane said the utility would remove fuel from Unit 3 this month and that Unit 2 was the only reactor “in play” to be restarted. She said Unit 3 had “more problems, more significant damage” than Unit 2 and “will likely be shut down for some time, unspecified.”

In a separate report released today, the Committee to Bridge the Gap analyzed data from nuclear power plants nationwide and showed that San Onofre’s Unit 2 reactor has about 400 times as many damaged steam generator tubes as the median number at comparable plants over the same operational period, and Unit 3 has more than 450 times as many.

From the report:

Southern California Edison (SCE) and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) have suggested that the problems experienced in the steam generators of the two San Onofre reactors are fundamentally different and that Unit 2’s difficulties are merely “settling in” wear normal for new replacement steam generators.

No data have been provided to date by SCE or NRC to support these claims, yet SCE has suggested that for these reasons it expects to request permission to

restart Unit 2 and run it at somewhat reduced power, without repairing or replacing the damaged devices.

This report assembles national data from inspections of similar replacement steam generators after one cycle of operation.  The conclusion is that both San Onofre Unit 2 and Unit 3 have experienced damage greatly in excess of the typical reactor:

• The median number of steam generator tubes nationally showing wear after one cycle of operation is—FOUR.  San Onofre Unit 2 had 1595 damaged tubes,
approximately 400 times the median; San Onofre Unit 3 had 1806.

• The median number of indications of wear on steam generator tubes nationally after one cycle of operation is—FOUR.  San Onofre Unit 2 had 4721, greater than a thousand times more.  San Onofre Unit 3 had 10,284.

• The median number of steam generator tubes that were plugged after one cycle of operation is—ZERO.  San Onofre Unit 2 had 510; Unit 3 had 807.

Additionally, the replacement steam generators at San Onofre Unit 2 and 3 suffer from the same fundamental design errors.  Indeed, the number of damaged tubes in each unit is approximately the same.   

The conclusion is clear:

San Onofre Unit 2
and Unit 3 are both
very ill nuclear plants.

Unit 3’s fever is slightly higher, but both are in serious trouble.  What they are experiencing is not just normal wear due to “settling in” purportedly experienced with similar replacement steam generators.  They are far, far outside the norm of national experience.

And Unit 2 cannot be said to be acceptable for restart, any more than Unit 3. 

Unit 2 has hundreds of times more bad tubes and a thousand times more indications of wear on those tubes than the typical reactor in the country with a new steam generator, and nearly five times as many plugged tubes as the rest of the replacement steam generators, over a comparable operating period, in the country combined.

Restarting either San Onofre reactor with crippled steam generators that have not been repaired or replaced would be a questionable undertaking at best.

Each San Onofre reactor has greater than a thousand times as many indications of wear on the tubes than the typical reactor in its first cycle of operation.  And each San Onofre unit has had to plug more tubes than all replacement steam generators nationwide combined.

“San Onofre Unit 2 and 3 are both very ill nuclear plants.
 They are far, far outside the norm of national experience,”

writes Daniel Hirsch, President of the Committee to Bridge the Gap and the reports co-author. 

“Restarting either San Onofre reactor with crippled steam generators that have not been repaired or replaced would be a questionable undertaking at best.”

Source: Committee to Bridge the Gap

Source: Dow Jones

Source: San Diego Source
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 04:55:45 pm by thorfourwinds »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 02:01:52 pm »
So.  If it has a patent (which was not easily available in a prior art search - the inventor did do a search) W(here)TF is this invention?

Well to begin to find that would require knowing WHAT it is/was. Without more detail there is no way to begin a search.

So lets start with the court case... surely there is mention in the case WHICH patent he is being charged with infringing upon?  Court cases are public record..

So give us some names and locations to follow up on and I can search out that patent

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 10:30:25 am »
Well to begin to find that would require knowing WHAT it is/was. Without more detail there is no way to begin a search.

So lets start with the court case... surely there is mention in the case WHICH patent he is being charged with infringing upon?  Court cases are public record..

So give us some names and locations to follow up on and I can search out that patent

Sadly, I have lost touch with My friend - He got fed up and took off for parts unknown.  And I am so bad with names, I don't remember.  Be that as it may, I think it is a fair assessment to say free energy solutions have been hidden and suppressed - actively and aggressively.

So One may presume a fair probability of the truth of My friend's information.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]