collapse

Author Topic: Spherical Rock in Bosnia Stirs Controversy  (Read 1955 times)

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
Spherical Rock in Bosnia Stirs Controversy
« on: April 12, 2016, 04:24:06 pm »
Spherical Rock in Bosnia Stirs Controversy.

An infamous would-be archaeologist is at it again, suggesting that some unique rock formations he has discovered in present day Bosnia, are proof of an ancient civilization that thrived there 1,500 years ago.

Semir Osmanagic has been combing the hills around Visocica since 2005 claiming the surrounding mountains were part of a giant collection of pyramids that he says could be 15,000 years old.

Since then he has been digging around the mountains but not turning up any archaeologically accepted proof of his claims.

His latest "find" is a large, spherical rock found in a Bosnian forest that he says could be the oldest such rock ever made by humans.

The rock is about 1.4 meters across and he says it has a very high amount of iron content.

Zavidovici. Bosnia and Herzegovina
Zavidovici. Bosnia and Herzegovina
Natural formation?

Scientists who have seen the rock say it is likely a natural formation and not a human construct.

But Osmanagic has received plenty of support and funding from the Bosnian government, and he is something of a celebrity in the area.

But to the archaeological world he is a dangerous charlatan.

Anthony Harding, the president of the European Association of Archaeologists called his claims “a total absurdity,” according to The Telegraph.

"There is some genuine archaeology on the hill and I'm told it's medieval, possibly Bronze Age or Roman,” he said. “But the speculation that there could be a 12,000-year-old structure beneath is a complete fantasy and anyone with basic knowledge of archaeology or history should recognize that."

In an open letter written ten years ago, a group of scholars denounced Osmanagic that "... disgracefully, threatens to destroy parts of Bosnia's real heritage."

Still, its unlikely Osmanagic will stop pushing his theories or digging in the region.

The sphere is receiving similar scrutiny.

Mandy Edwards of the University of Manchester's School of Earth, Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences told The Daily Mail that the rock might not even be man-made but could have been formed by"precipitation of natural mineral cement within the spaces between sediment grains,” called concretion.

http://www.voanews.com/content/mht-spherical-rock-stirs-controversy/3282356.html

Offline Dyna

• Gold 127
Re: Spherical Rock in Bosnia Stirs Controversy
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 12:17:09 pm »
The sphere is receiving similar scrutiny.
Interesting.
It is lovely anyway! there doesn't seem to be a bunch o others? It is so big would such a large natural and so perfect sphere not be odd? Would a sphere with such a large iron content be natural I thought they were secreted and limestone mainly?

http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/picks-from-the-past/191353/prehistoric-stone-balls-a-mystery
When the debate is lost,
slander becomes the tool of the loser.
Socrates

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 02:02:59 pm »
It and the ones that you referred to are certainly unusual...I wonder what the largest diameter sized one found is ?

They look like a Giants Football !

Interesting.
It is lovely anyway! there doesn't seem to be a bunch o others? It is so big would such a large natural and so perfect sphere not be odd? Would a sphere with such a large iron content be natural I thought they were secreted and limestone mainly?

http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/picks-from-the-past/191353/prehistoric-stone-balls-a-mystery

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 02:17:51 pm »
A Giant Sphere Was Found in Bosnia and Researchers Aren't Sure Where It Came From

Another related article / image...with video (see article)

In the middle of a forest on the outskirts of Zavidovici, Bosnia, archaeologist Semir Osmanagich has discovered a very large, very round rock with a radius between four and five feet.

Read more: Mystery of Nazca, Peru's Puquios: Satellite Images Shed New Light on Ancient Aqueducts
Possibly more than 1,500 years old, Osmanagich thinks this Bosnian rock ball may be "the oldest stone sphere made by human hands," according to the Telegraph.

Like any mysterious sphere uncovered in nature — and there are others — Osmanagich's is proving divisive.

Osmanagich, who also goes by Sam, has been "researching prehistoric stone ball phenomenon for 15 years," according to a post he wrote on the ball's discovery. Osmanagich believes the area used to house many more such spheres, but people cracked them open in misplaced pursuits of gold sometime during the 1970s.

A Giant Sphere Was Found in Bosnia and Researchers Aren't Sure Where It Came From
Bosnia's latest stone sphere is roughly the height of a human.
Source:  Vimeo
According to the Telegraph, others in the scientific community are pushing back, saying the stone isn't necessarily man-made — that it could have formed naturally through the process of concretion. This is potentially because Osmanagich — known as the "Bosnian Indiana Jones" — has been "mocked" in the past for seemingly outlandish archeological claims, the Telegraph reported.

The subject of the stone's provenance remains open: a million human hands? Mother nature's careful crafting? Aliens? It's a mystery.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/giant-sphere-found-bosnia-researchers-202600384.html
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 02:20:47 pm by astr0144 »

Offline Dyna

• Gold 127
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 12:10:17 pm »
 :)Would love to see someone try cracking that open lol!

Found this
http://geol.queensu.ca/museum/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=79&func=view&catid=8&id=87

Rare natural stone ball 5 Years, 6 Months ago   
Hallo, my name is Julian. I`m from Bosnia and Herzegovina. I have one rare stone in my yard. I found it in a forest. It is a natural stone ball, it isn`t product of the human hands. The weight of this stone ball is around 350 kg, the diameter is around 67 centimeters. How are this natural stone balls became? How many years this stone balls can be old? Do they have some value for museums or they are unmeaning? Ours museums in Bosnia and Herzegovina are disinterested for this natural stone balls. Maybe they don`t know nothing about this natural stone balls. Some of researchers from Egypt are told: "This stone balls are human hands product". I don`t belive in that, they are lying. The photograph of my stone ball is in attached files in this message. I hope you like it. Answer me if you have some of informations about this natural stone ball.
http://s20.postimg.org/eyxaiw8z1/rare_natural_stone_ball_2222.jpg

I am confused about this
Concretions can be found in sedimentary rocks of any age, so it is impossible to tell how old yours might be without knowing what rock it formed within, or by finding an identifiable fossil perhaps in the core.

If they are in sedimentary rock why do these look like some other stone and the OP one says high in iron?

Seems spirical stones are common in Bosnia, take a look at these
http://www.creepybasement.com/alien-eggs/
http://www.ancient-wisdom.com/stoneballs.htm
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 12:28:18 pm by Dyna »
When the debate is lost,
slander becomes the tool of the loser.
Socrates

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 12:33:25 pm »
I am confused about this
If they are in sedimentary rock why do these look like some other stone and the OP one says high in iron?
After a quick look at some sites, it looks like calcite is usually the "glue" that binds the particles in those rocks.

As for the "very high amount of iron content", I don't believe a thing of what Semir Osmanagic says. :)

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter