collapse

Author Topic: The U.S. Is Unable To Account For 36k Pounds Of Weapons Grade Uranium And Pluton  (Read 34936 times)

sky otter

you guys probably aren't real i nterested in the bs with this 50+ year old mistake..so just skip this

http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/yourallekiskivalley/yourallekiskivalleymore/5498558-74/corps-nuclear-dump#axzz2rv1mzfCv

Water at Parks nuclear dump site passes scrutiny

By Mary Ann Thomas

Published: Thursday, Jan. 30, 2014, 12:41 a.m.
Updated 4 hours ago

Parks Township residents received good news from the Army Corps of Engineers about safe groundwater in and around the nuclear waste dump along Route 66, but they want more details and progress in the decade-long cleanup.

About 80 people attended the public meeting in Parks held by the corps on Wednesday evening to present the results of their groundwater tests at the nuclear waste dump.

The corps and the federal Environmental Protection Agency found that the groundwater from the site had no significant amounts of chemical or radioactive contamination.

Col. Bernard Lindstrom told the audience that he was their neighbor and he wanted to be a good neighbor.

“My biggest concern is on the safety and quality of the cleanup,” Lindstrom said. “Not the time and money. Although time and money are concerns.”

With having to amend and revisit its cleanup plan, get more funding and find a new contractor, the corps doesn't expect digging to resume at the site until 2016.

“I hope I have a good neighbor,” said Todd Steele of Kiskimere.

“What about my property values?” Steele asked. “Nobody can sell a house here.”

Steele is looking for the agency to resume the cleanup soon.

“I believe that you got to do it safe,” said Steele. “But you've got to do it.”

The corps offered up a lot of resources to residents, including one-on-one discussions with representatives from the Corps, the EPA, the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and the state Department of Environmental Protection.

But the corps changed its meeting format, moving the public question-and-answer session to the end.

Environmental activist Patty Ameno of Apollo was angry as she complained that people had left the meeting by the time that session came around.

State Rep. Joseph Petrarca said: “This is unacceptable. These people have been waiting.”

Some residents like the new format: they met with government officials one-on-one and didn't mind waiting until the end of meeting for the public question period.

Dan Jones, Army Corps spokesman, said that the corps changed the meeting format because some residents said that they couldn't get their questions answered at earlier meetings.

Jones added that the corps is open to other changes residents would like for future meetings.

Ameno got into a spirited debate with corps officials about the agency using or not using a criticality alarm system for the cleanup in the past and questioned if they would use it going forward.

Such a system would alert workers of a dangerous chain reaction if a significant amount of nuclear materials were mishandled.

Ameno was not satisfied with the Army Corps' answer of working within government regulations for the job.

Mary Ann Thomas is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at  mthomas@tribweb.com.

Read more: http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/yourallekiskivalley/yourallekiskivalleymore/5498558-74/corps-meeting-nuclear#ixzz2rv2E2JFY
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

sky otter

yet another update and roadbump.. but progress has been made even if it is small steps

Government agencies agree on roles in Parks nuclear waste cleanup

Read more: http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/yourallekiskivalley/yourallekiskivalleymore/6088070-74/nuclear-agencies-cleanup#ixzz31VdMfvUz

By Mary Ann Thomas

Published: Monday, May 12, 2014, 12:51 a.m.
Updated 9 hours ago

Four federal government agencies, including one that deals with nuclear weapons materials, have agreed on their collective roles for the cleanup of the nuclear waste dump in Parks Township.

The cleanup, which could cost as much as $500 million, has been mired in red tape as the Army Corps of Engineers, the lead agency for the estimated 10-year cleanup, had to halt the project in 2011.

Skyrocketing costs, problems with contractors and the potential for greater amounts of complex nuclear materials at the site have caused delays in developing a revised action plan.

Sen. Bob Casey Jr., D-Scranton, has been pushing for an agreement among the federal agencies to get the cleanup back on track.

The details of the agreement have not yet been released.

According to a May 2 letter to Casey from Allison Macfarlane, chair of the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission, the agencies have agreed and are in the process of circulating the legal document for signatures.

John Rizzo, Casey's spokesman, said that they need to see the agreement among the federal agencies to comment.

New agency in the mix

A government spokeswoman said the newest twist in the agreement is the inclusion of the National Nuclear Security Administration, which manages nuclear materials that could be used for nuclear weapons.

The other agencies are the Corps, NRC and Department of Energy Office of Environmental Management.

Calls to the National Nuclear Security Administration for comment were not returned on Friday afternoon.

The Corps contractor unearthed U-233 at the Parks site, which is considered a special nuclear material. In sufficient quantities, U-233 can be used in the production of a clandestine fissile bomb.

There are other special nuclear materials, such as enriched U-235 and plutonium that are known to be at the Parks dump.

According to Maureen Conley, an NRC spokeswoman, special nuclear materials need special handling and control because of a potential nuclear reaction and security concerns.

The Corps have had to make plans to handle any material that they find on site. A recent investigation by the NRC Inspector General's office found that neither the government agencies nor the owners of the dump know for sure what is buried at the site.

“The Corps has the necessary experts on staff and is also leveraging expertise from other federal agencies and the private sector,” said Dan Jones, Corps spokesman.

“We are prepared to excavate, characterize and properly dispose of the full spectrum of materials at the site,” he said.

Mary Ann Thomas is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at  mthomas@tribweb.com.

DetailsToxic dump
The nuclear waste dump on Route 66 in Parks is owned by BWX Technologies (known as Babcock & Wilcox). The dump received radioactive and chemical waste from the former Nuclear Materials and Equipment Corp., or NUMEC, in Apollo and Parks from about 1960 to the early 1970s.

It formally is known as the Shallow Land Disposal Area.

space otter

ah yes,,what could stop them now?...how about a  Network of abandoned mines
I mean hell it's only western Pennsylvania..who would have thought there were coal mines ?

not that it matters  ~  this is only about 110 feet from the kiski river.. stuff (plutonium etc.)
 probably all went down stream years ago

well........... that is............ if it hasn't seeped into the mines with the methane....

sigh

I D I O T S ! ! !

http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/yourallekiskivalley/yourallekiskivalleymore/7516794-74/waste-corps-nuclear#axzz3OZba4j7g

Network of abandoned mines complicates NUMEC cleanup

By Mary Ann Thomas
Sunday, Jan. 11, 2015, 1:06 a.m.
Updated 21 hours ago

A honeycomb of abandoned coal mines beneath the nuclear waste dump in Parks Township can be credited, at least in part, to ensuring that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers should remove the radioactive waste at the site along Route 66.

A recent Corps report adds credence to long-held concerns among residents about the abandoned, deep coal mines under the 44-acre site.

Last week, the Army Corps of Engineers released a revised plan for the cleanup at the dump.

The Corps is asking the public to comment on the plan at an upcoming hearing Jan. 27.

The scope of the cleanup project has expanded because of potentially more dangerous and difficult to characterize waste at the site.

Costs have soared to $412 million, which is about 10 times more than original estimates.

The Corps still recommends removing and hauling away the radioactive waste, but has to revisit the decision of whether to remove radioactive waste buried in 10 shallow trenches.

As the Corps goes through another round of decisions at the site after more than 20 years of government reports and wrangling, Bud Shannon, chairman of Parks Township supervisors for most of his 26 years on the board, said: “Every time these things are brought up, it delays the process.

“They made up their mind to take the waste out of here, and we should work with them to take it out,” Shannon said. “This has gone on entirely too long.”

“Let's get it done. Let's make a decision and move on it.”

Some residents and environmental activists petitioned the government to remove the waste in the 1990s.

But it took federal legislation entered by late U.S. Rep. John Murtha to require that the radioactive waste be dug up and taken from the site.

The Army Corps leadership is scheduled to make a final decision in July.

Just last week, in a feasibility study, the Corps ruled out:

• Doing nothing;

• Limited action, such as imposing land-use controls and environmental monitoring;

• Simply containing the materials buried there with engineered cover, slurry walls, grout curtains, grout mine stabilization and drainage improvements.

The only two options still in play, according to the Corps' report, both involve removing the materials.

It's just a matter of how to do it and where it goes:

• Excavation, treatment and on-site disposal: Dig up contaminants and deposit in disposal cells constructed on site.

• Excavation, treatment and off-site disposal.

They could not ensure protection of human health and the environment over 1,000 years because of the uncertain stability of the abandoned mines.

The nuclear waste dump sits above coal mines that were dug in the early 1900s to tap the Upper Freeport coal seam.

The maze of mines is between 60 and 100 feet below the ground, according to earlier Corps site reports.

“The science isn't available to predict when mine subsidence will occur,” said Mike Helbling, Corps project manager in Pittsburgh.

“With that in mind, it weighs heavily into figuring that there is a potential risk of subsidence in that area.”

According to the Corps report, if mine subsidence would occur underneath the disposal trenches, the radioactive waste could get into the groundwater and a person drinking this water could be exposed to unacceptable levels of contaminants.

“I don't think that this waste dump was ever intended to be permanent,” said Diane D'Arrigo, radio­active-waste project director for Nuclear Information and Resource Service, a nonprofit in Tacoma Park, Md.

“And I would be shocked if this kind of thing would meet the legal requirement for a permanent nuclear dump,” she said.

According to the Corps report, digging up the waste and keeping it on site in a cell would be challenging to manage and monitor the waste for thousands of years.

“There really isn't a good place for nuclear waste,” D'Arrigo said, “but to leave it in a place where there is a chance of it leaking out is sacrificing the area.”

Mary Ann Thomas is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-226-4691 or mthomas@tribweb.com.

http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/yourallekiskivalley/yourallekiskivalleymore/7516794-74/waste-corps-nuclear#ixzz3OZcHTFHh

About the dump

The defunct Nuclear Materials and Equipment Corp. operated the dump. According to records, NUMEC disposed of uranium, plutonium and other hazardous materials there from 1960 until about 1972.

NUMEC produced fuel for Navy nuclear reactors from 1957 to 1984. It also produced plutonium from 1960 until the early 1990s for the private nuclear industry.

Corps sets hearing

The Army Corps of Engineers will hold a hearing on the revised site plan for the Parks nuclear waste dump at 7 p.m. Jan. 27 at the Parks Township Volunteer Fire Department, 1119 Dalmatian Drive.

To view the new revised plan for the nuclear waste dump, visit
www.lrp.usace.army.mil/Portals/72/docs/SLDA/SLDA%20PropRODAmend%28Final%29V4.pdf

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:49:50 am by ArMaP »

Offline Wrabbit2000

• Gold 53
  • Just a fun loving kind of Rabbit.
Well, it is great of them to offer a chance at public comment for such a disaster in place. I think my only public comment would be something to the effect of how we need to see some resignations tendered and smartly, as the Brits might say. As noted? Coal mines aren't exactly a shocking thing to discover in the heart of coal country. Response isn't enough, because we're just 'responding' to truly horrific stuff like this far too often these days.

Resignations, if not prison sentences to go with examples of extreme criminal negligence would be more fitting than excuses and promises for clean-ups to come.

Wow... Nuclear waste over coal mines? Oh... Dandy.. They DO understand those friggen mines also catch FIRE occasionally...right? When they do..they do nasty things. I believe one whole town in PA was evacuated with a mine still burning below it, to this day?

space otter

I believe one whole town in PA was evacuated with a mine still burning below it, to this day?

yeah wrabbit..but that mine was only a coal seem...or should I spell that seam.. ?  hummm

doesn't really matter if that sucker decides to blow..but the rest of the good news is frackin has come to the area big time..
if'n ya all don't hear from me  anymore.. send good thoughts..k?

we're so blessed with all this fuel.... ::)

space otter

the saga continues. ::)

Army Corps of Engineers asks for more input on Parks Township nuclear dump plans

By Tom Yerace
Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2015, 2:01 a.m.
Updated 10 hours ago

The tenor of citizens comments at Tuesday's public hearing on the Parks Township nuclear waste dump cleanup was unmistakeable.

Perry Roberts of Gilpin may have expressed it best: “We need to get it done this time, and we need to get it done right,” Roberts told Army Corps of Engineers officials.

About 150 people attended the hearing conducted by the Corps of Engineers unit out of Pittsburgh in the township fire hall.

It attracted coverage from a number of media outlets, including a reporter and cameraman from Al Jazeera, the TV network headquartered in the Middle East.

The Corps has the responsibility for overseeing the cleanup, whose cost has ballooned from a projected $44 million to $412 million.

That happened after excavation on the project began in 2011 and then came to a screeching halt when the Corps unearthed greater-than-expected quantities of complex nuclear material.

Corps officials told the crowd that their input is important to the resumption of the project and the Corps is required to consider their testimony and answer questions raised.

“Today, the power is not with us, the power is with you,” said Col. Bernie

Lindstrom, commander of the Corps in Pittsburgh.

In order to cover the increased cleanup costs, the Corps has to get approval for a change to the original “record of decision” or ROD. It's that document that enabled the initial work on the waste dump, which came to about $62 million.

Michael Helbling, the Corps' project manager, said that's why public comment and support are important.

“You can have the best remedy in the world, but if the public doesn't accept it, it is very hard to implement,” Helbling said.

To that end, Helbling announced that the 30-day public comment period, which was set to end Feb. 5 has been extended. He said that there have been at least two requests made to continue the public period and the Corps has granted them.

He said the Corps will continue to accept comments for an additional 60 days and end April 4.

A public meeting will follow that deadline at the beginning of April to update area residents about the project and answer questions, Helbling said. Once public comment ends and any pertinent suggestions or input from the public is added to the ROD amendment, it will be sent up the chain of command for approval.

He projected that would come in July and, if approved, the Corps would solicit requests for proposals from contractors immediately.

Hiring a contractor should be completed by January 2016, followed by design work and the work on the nuclear waste dump would get underway in 2017.

In brief, the plan is to excavate the dangerous radioactive waste and safely transport it to a landfill specifically designed to accept it.

At least one person thinks it's a bad idea.

“My idea for a future that is healthy is leave well enough alone,” said John Voyten of the township's Kiskimere section, close to the waste dump.

While many residents fear the health effects from letting the nuclear waste stay where it is, Voyten said he has lived there for 67 years and the only problem he has is “growing hair.”

But Patty Ameno of Hyde Park, the leading activist in pushing for the cleanup, said, “The consequences of leaving it there are far more dangerous than digging it up.”

Ameno, in her testimony, listed eight points that the amendment should address. Among them are moving the project ahead without delay, the health and safety of the residents be given the highest priority equal to national security concerns, that the abandoned coal mine below the waste dump be investigated and tested and that a “no-fracking zone” be set up to make sure that seismic activity from Marcellus shale drilling does not impact the waste dump.

“I've spoken to both the DEP (Department of Environmental Protection) and EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and they both agreed there should be a no-fracking zone,” Ameno said.

Neill Andritz, who owns a canoe/kayak sales and rental business along River Road in Parks Township, said the Corps has to do something about making it easier for the trucks that haul materials to and from the site to turn onto River Road from the project site.

“A radioactive materials truck blocking the passing lane of a two-lane road is a dangerous situation,” Andritz said.

Chuck Pascal of Leechburg said the next cleanup should be preceded by an emphasis on training for first responders on how to do deal with an accident or some event involving the nuclear waste.

He said that security concerns should not prevent the Corps from alerting local officials when the nuclear and/or chemical waste materials are moving through their towns.

Tom Haley of Allegheny Township emphasized that the Corps use all resources to learn about what materials were produced and processed at the former NUMEC and Atlantic Richfield operations that produced the waste.

Haley, who has been involved with the waste dump issue since 2003, said he worked as a project manager at the NUMEC plant for 11 years and knows what was produced there.

He said he prepared an extensive report on those materials, but nobody from the Corps has looked at it.

“It describes everything you need to know about what was processed at NUMEC,” Haley said.

He used the aborted cleanup as an example of why more knowledge is needed. Originally, the estimate of the radioactive waste dumped at the site was 26.6 kilograms.

But Haley said there was more than that amount just in the one-half of a disposal trench that was excavated before the project was halted.

Peter Davin of Pittsburgh seemed to echo Haley's concerns. Davin said he is a technical attorney who has worked on such cleanup projects for 30 years and now is involved in a major one in California.

He suggested to the Corps officials, as a part of their request for proposals on

the cleanup, that they supply information about the site's contents to the contractors bidding on it so each can supply a risk assessment-risk management plan on how they will handle things if something goes wrong.

Helbling said that was done the first time.

Making public what the Corps knows to be in the waste dump is something that residents have asked for, unsuccessfully, in the past.

“Our policy is not to talk about the stuff that we think is in there, and we do not talk about the material we excavate,” Helbling said. “And that is not going to change.”

Tom Yerace is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-226-4675 or tyerace@tribweb.com.

Read more: http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/yourallekiskivalley/yourallekiskivalleymore/7645382-74/corps-waste-dump#ixzz3QB7pBWVW
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:49:01 am by ArMaP »

Offline Wrabbit2000

• Gold 53
  • Just a fun loving kind of Rabbit.
You know, I'd recommend they go and build a place to store all this. Perhaps in one of the most remote areas and stable in geologic time frames of reference.

The problem is? The US already did build such a place. In fact, the Gov't gleefully appropriated all the money it could to build it. Then shut it down in a way that made clear it was never really intended to be open for business in the first place. As much as I think nuke power could be useful in very different and more advanced designs? If we can't even store the waste...We probably need to stop using it on just that basis alone. After all...things get lost when they aren't stored well. Thousands of lbs of lost.

We also built a thing called a railroad, way back when, and at least in the World War II expansion, that was supposed to be moving dangerous stuff. Why radioactive waste outside things like hospital gowns/gloves is moved on highways is beyond me, anyway.

Logic never does define these things tho, eh?

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
How many coal fires do we still have burning underground?   And Rocky Flats National Wildlife Refuge is still closed to the public.   Disturbing.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

space otter

i think this is the place for this obit..

http://triblive.com/obituaries/newsstories/10809808-74/shapiro-nuclear-fuel

Scientist developed nuclear fuel for USS Nautilus
 BY MARY ANN THOMAS  | Monday, July 18, 2016, 11:00 p.m.

Zalman Shapiro, owner of NUMEC Merriman photo, ’05.
PHOTO BY JUSTIN MERRIMAN

holy crap.. the photo wasn't that big on the page and i can't get it to reduce..sorry

In a lifetime of major technological accomplishments, Zalman Shapiro was proudest of being one of the developers of the nuclear fuel for the world's first atomic submarine, the USS Nautilus,

While Shapiro's accomplishments were among the landmarks of the Atomic Age, he was dogged by allegations — never proven — of illegally providing nuclear materials to Israel for its nuclear weapons program in the 1960s.

Shapiro, 96, died Saturday at his home in Pittsburgh's Oakland section.

Shapiro founded a nuclear fuel company in Apollo, Armstrong County, in 1957, pioneering the first continuous production process for nuclear reactor fuel, a crucial step in making nuclear power commercially viable.

The Nuclear Materials and Equipment Corp. produced fuel and other nuclear products for the U.S. government. It designed and constructed the first commercial plutonium facility in Parks Township, where the first nuclear-powered cardiac pacemaker was developed.

“He was a brilliant and courageous scientist, who was one of the pioneers of the nuclear age,” said daughter Deborah Shapiro. “My dad was a patriot who made substantial contributions to the defense and welfare of the United States.”

A longtime friend, Pittsburgh forensic pathologist Dr. Cyril Wecht, said, “Dr. Shapiro was a very astute gentleman with a combination of intellectual brilliance and a very high level of ethical behavior and personal integrity.”

Both were active in the Zionist Organization of America, the country's oldest pro-Israel group.

“He was a very ardent supporter of Israel where he contributed intellectually and shared nonconfidential information of an academic nature with his colleagues there,” Wecht said.

MULTIPLE INVESTIGATIONS
Shapiro, though, was best known for the allegations he provided the Israelis with weapons-grade uranium.

Despite nearly two decades of investigations by Congress, the FBI, CIA and others, Shapiro never was charged, nor lost his security clearance.

He vehemently denied the accusation.

“Why would I jeopardize my position, my integrity, my life?” Shapiro said in a recent interview with the Tribune-Review.

“What are they going to write on my tombstone: ‘He diverted material to Israel.' I don't want to go to my grave with this hanging over my head,” he said in another interview. “The government made a mistake and they should admit it.”

Shapiro did have an unlikely ally: Environmental activist Patty Ameno of Hyde Park. Ameno spearheaded lawsuits that settled for about $92 million against NUMEC's successors, the Atlantic Richfield Co., and Babcock & Wilcox for wrongful death, personal injury and property damage from the nuclear plants' emissions.

“I never thought for one moment Zal was guilty of illegally sending nuclear material to Israel,” she said. “The government, as the regulator, either knew or should have known that the ‘lost' nuclear materials went up the stacks, went into the (Kiski) river or got buried.”

Shapiro's expertise with zirconium, a hard metal resistant to corrosion, contributed greatly to his success in developing nuclear fuel for the Navy and for commercial plants, including the first atomic plant in Shippingport, Beaver County

“Zirconium is virtually synonymous with Zalman Shapiro,” said Francis Cotter of Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., a former Westinghouse vice president, in a 2009 letter supporting Shapiro's nomination for a National Medal of Technology and Innovation.

In addition to his daughter, Shapiro is survived by his wife, Evelyn; sons Joshua of Chappaqa, N.Y., and Ezra of Israel; 10 grandchildren and 25 great-grandchildren.

Shapiro was raised in Passaic, N.J., where he was valedictorian at his high school. He was a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Johns Hopkins University, where he also got a Ph.D in chemistry.

He came to Pittsburgh to work at Westinghouse's nuclear division in 1947 and received the company's Silver W Award of Merit his work on the Nautilus.

Shapiro returned to Westinghouse in 1971, after selling NUMEC. While retired, Shapiro was awarded his 15th patent at age 89 for developing synthetic diamonds.

“My father was a tireless problem-solver,” said Deborah Shapiro. “He was constantly trying to use his mind to see how he could make things better.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/businessnews/2009/06/26/89-year-old-Oakland-inventor-receives-15th-patent/stories/200906260131

89-year-old Oakland inventor receives 15th patent
June 26, 2009 4:00 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zalman_Shapiro

http://www.google.com/patents/US3630677

Manufacture of synthetic diamonds
US 3630677 A

http://israellobby.org/numec/
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 07:43:13 am by space otter »

Offline space otter

• Gold 691

the heading should be .. DO YOU BELEIVE THIS?

http://triblive.com/local/valleynewsdispatch/12239672-74/contract-awarded-for-parks-twp-nuclear-dump-cleanup

Eric Felack Total Trib media
A covered processing building at the rear of the Shallow Land Disposal Area property in Parks Township as seen on Wednesday on April 8, 2015

Updated 9 hours ago
Cleanup of the Parks Township nuclear waste dump could begin again in 2019.

The Army Corps of Engineers has awarded a $350 million contract to a Tennessee company to clean up the dump site, which contains various kinds of radioactive waste.

The Corps will update residents on the project and water test results on May 24 at Parks Township Volunteer Fire Department.

Jacobs Field Services North America Inc. of Oak Ridge, Tenn., was awarded the contract to remove radioactive waste from the dump, formally known as the Shallow Land Disposal Area.

The company is expected to begin excavation at the site in July 2019, according to the Corps.

The Corps shut down cleanup of the 44-acre site along Route 66 at Kiskimere Drive in 2011 after unearthing more “special nuclear material” than its contractor or cleanup plans were prepared to handle.

That drove up costs and triggered a yearlong review of the cleanup plan. Additionally, its contractor allegedly mishandled some of the waste, according to the Corps.

Because special nuclear material is potentially suitable for bomb-making, visibly armed federal Homeland Security personnel guarded the site during prior cleanup operations.

Jacobs Field Services is “eminently qualified, and they submitted the best proposal,” said Mike Helbling, Corps projects manager for the Parks Township site.

The company is headquartered in Oak Ridge, an area known for its nuclear laboratories and universities.

Helbling said he could not yet release how many contractors bid on the Parks cleanup because of federal contract requirements that still need to be completed.

Patty Ameno, environmental activist from Hyde Park who has been pushing for the cleanup for 20-plus years said: “This is the best of news, from my viewpoint. They have the staff and expertise to deal with material on that site.”

Bud Shannon, Parks Township supervisors chairman, was glad to hear that the cleanup is back on track with a new contractor.

“It sounds to me like they are going to do everything that they said they were going to do,” he said.

Some local residents will likely be hired for the estimated 10-year cleanup process, Helbling said.

Although he didn't know how many workers, Helbling said Jacobs would be hiring subcontractors and looking for highly skilled and other workers, as well as local vendors and material suppliers.

“We want opportunities for the remediation to be economically beneficial to the community,” he said.

But the main objective for the long project will continue to be safety, Helbling said.

Planning starts this summer.

Jacobs will produce 19 work plans detailing safety and security, waste excavation methods, material handling and disposal, he said.

The Corps and the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission will review the plans, Helbling said, and the Corps will seek revisions as necessary.

The federal Environmental Protection Agency will split water samples with the Corps from wells along the dump's boundaries for quality assurance. The EPA has been sampling groundwater outside cleanup operations to check for off-site contamination.

So far, the EPA has found no irregularities but will continue to monitor.

Other agencies working with the Corps include the Department of Energy, the National Nuclear Security Administration and others.

Mary Ann Thomas is a Tribune-Review staff writer.

Eric Felack Total Trib media
Entrance to the Shallow Land Disposal Area in Parks as seen on wendesday April 8, 2015

Radioactive dump
The nuclear waste dump on Route 66 in Parks Township is owned by BWX Technologies (formerly known as Babcock & Wilcox). The dump received radioactive and chemical waste from the former Nuclear Materials and Equipment Corp., or NUMEC, in Apollo and Parks from about 1960 to the early 1970s.
Coming up
Who: Army Corps of Engineers
What: Explanation of planned cleanup of the nuclear waste dump (Shallow Land Disposal Area) in Parks Township
When: 6-9 p.m. May 24
Where: Parks Township Volunteer Fire Department, 1119 Dalmatian Drive (Vandergrift postal address)
For details: http://www.lrp.usace.army.mil/Missions/Planning-Programs-Project-Management/Key-Projects/Shallow-Land-Disposal-Area/

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
I felt the need to update the info on this saga ..it’s history tells a tell ..

http://triblive.com/local/valleynewsdispatch/12353176-74/apollos-numec-allegedly-supplied-nuclear-batteries-to-israel-in-six-day-war

Apollo's NUMEC allegedly supplied nuclear batteries to Israel in Six Day War

MARY ANN THOMAS  | Sunday, June 4, 2017, 1:45 a.m.

On Monday, Israel will begin celebrating its victory 50 years ago in the Six Day War.

Waged June 5-10, 1967, the war pitted the outnumbered Israeli army against the combined forces of Egypt, Jordan and Syria, whose forces were amassing near Israel's borders but were thwarted by pre-emptive Israeli airstrikes.

The timing of the airstrikes seemed miraculous, destroying 90 percent of the Egyptian air force while still on the ground.

But there was nothing miraculous about it, according to a now-deceased Pittsburgh nuclear scientist who claimed he provided batteries for

RELATED CONTENT
Reports of missing uranium dogged NUMEC owner Zalman Shapiro for life
It reads like a Tom Clancy novel: secret reports among top government advisers, an undercover spy trip to a remote desert half way around the ...

Many details of NUMEC's Israel dealings still shrouded in secrecy
Zalman Shapiro, the late renowned nuclear scientist who founded the Nuclear Materials and Equipment Corp. in Apollo, waited almost 50 years to reveal his involvement ...

CLANDESTINE COMPANY

This occasional series, gleaned from never-before-released government documents and interviews with NUMEC employees, including the company's late founder, Zalman Shapiro, shows how a small company on the banks of the Kiski River was involved in some of the most clandestine U.S. nuclear programs of the past 50 years.

TODAY

• How nuclear batteries made in Apollo helped Israel win the Six Day War

• Why NUMEC's founder kept quiet, even while being accused of espionage

• How the CIA got the idea that NUMEC was helping Israel build an atomic bomb

UPCOMING STORIES

• How NUMEC's secret past affected the Parks Township nuclear dump cleanup

• Where 200 pounds of “missing” uranium could have gone

• Why cleanup of the Parks dump site could solve a 50-year-old mystery

• Why NUMEC employees say official government reports are inaccurate

EMAIL NEWSLETTERS Sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Offline biggles

• Gold 47
Thanks Otter honey, appreciate it, been reading about something similar in one of Lee Child's books.  xxxooo :-*
I know that I know nothing - thanks Capricorn.

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Putting a marker here...

I was just talking with Matyas on FB yesterday about the murder of Dr Paul Brown. It was about the nuclear batteries he invented and got murdered for..

I will be back to this

Offline space otter

• Gold 691

when i read some of this i wonder what the headlines / stories will be 50 years from NOW..or if there will be anyone to read them or even care.....sigh

http://triblive.com/local/valleynewsdispatch/12378300-74/trib-report-on-secret-nuclear-batteries-spurs-reporting-in-israel

Trib report on secret nuclear batteries spurs reporting in Israel
Thursday, June 8, 2017, 12:39 a.m.

Media outlets in Israel have been reacting to a Tribune-Review story that a Pittsburgh scientist, Zalman Shapiro, provided nuclear batteries for listening devices used by Israel in the Six Day War 50 years ago.
Because Israeli news agencies are subject to government censorship, topics such as NUMEC's role in helping Israel to win the Six Day War have been forbidden for publication — unless a foreign media outlet publishes them first.

In the hours after the Tribune-Review's story hit the internet, some Israeli news outlets were quick to pick up a story they had known about for some time but couldn't publish.

several tweets

That roughly translates to: @news10 @MaThomas_Trib 11/more on this amazing story can be published now in Israel that a talented Pittsburgh journalist was told about it by Shapiro himself and has written about it.

http://triblive.com/local/valleynewsdispatch/12376983-74/family-marks-50-years-since-brackenridge-man-killed-in-israels-errant-attack

Family marks 50 years since Brackenridge man killed in Israel's errant attack on USS Liberty

Israel attacked the Navy intelligence-gathering ship in the Mediterranean Sea on June 8, 1967, during the Six Day War.

Israel later said it mistook the Liberty for an Egyptian ship.

However, many ship survivors and the families of the fallen soldiers think it was a ruse to pull the United States into the war.

http://triblive.com/search/?search=numec

Search results for "numec" Results 1 - 10 of 52 stories

Sort by date / Sort by relevance

Apollo's NUMEC allegedly supplied nuclear batteries to Israel ...

... Apollo's NUMEC allegedly supplied nuclear batteries to Israel in Six
Day War. Mary Ann Thomas | Sunday, June 4, 2017 ...
triblive.com/local/valleynewsdispatch/12353176-74/apollos-numec-allegedly-supplied-nuclear-batteries-to-israel-in-six-day-war - 2017-06-04

Reports of missing uranium dogged NUMEC owner Zalman ...

... Reports of missing uranium dogged NUMEC owner Zalman Shapiro for life.
Mary Ann Thomas | Sunday, June 4, 2017, 1:54 am. Email Newsletters. ...
triblive.com/local/valleynewsdispatch/12353401-74/reports-of-missing-uranium-dogged-numec-owner-zalman-shapiro-for-life - 2017-06-04

Many details of NUMEC's Israel dealings still shrouded in ...

... Many details of NUMEC's Israel dealings still shrouded in secrecy. ... Apollo's
NUMEC allegedly supplied nuclear batteries to Israel in Six Day War ...
triblive.com/local/valleynewsdispatch/12364304-74/many-details-of-numecs-israel-dealings-still-shrouded-in-secrecy - 2017-06-04

Parks Township nuclear waste cleanup could last until 2031 ...

... The dump received radioactive and chemical waste from the former Nuclear
Materials and Equipment Corp., or NUMEC, in Apollo and Parks from ...
triblive.com/local/valleynewsdispatch/12334183-74/parks-township-nuclear-waste-cleanup-could-last-until-2031 - 2017-05-25

Contract awarded for Parks Twp. nuclear dump cleanup ...

triblive.com/local/valleynewsdispatch/12239672-74/contract-awarded-for-parks-twp-nuclear-dump-cleanup - 2017-04-27

Buyer beware | TribLIVE

Apollo wants to grant tax breaks through the state's Keystone Opportunity Zone
program to anyone willing to develop the old NUMEC and Metal ...
triblive.com/opinion/letters/8949044-74/site-apollo-cancer - 2015-09-01

Decision time yet again on whether to remove nuclear waste ...

triblive.com/neighborhoods/yourallekiskivalley/yourallekiskivalleymore/5270680-74/nuclear-corps-site - 2014-01-19

Bring the EPA to Parks | TribLIVE

The Valley News Dispatch articles on the aborted cleanup at the NUMEC waste
site in Parks Township confirmed our long-held contention that ...
triblive.com/opinion/2493708-74/parks-epa-john-waste-environmental-glenn-heinz-kiski-mixed-site - 2012-09-08

Residents near nuke site due payments | TribLIVE

... Koppers Co. Inc.; Verona. Nuclear Material and Equipment Corp. (NUMEC),
Atlantic Richfield Co., Babcock & Wilcox; Apollo and Parks Township. ...
triblive.com/news/allegheny/2133631-74/schnorr-springdale-workers-government-nuclear-federal-program-department-eligible-plant - 2012-07-02

Alle-Kiski Laurels & Lances | TribLIVE

andlt;strongandgt;On the 'Watch List':andlt;/strongandgt; andamp;bull; The
NUMEC nuclear cleanup. ... The NUMEC nuclear cleanup. ...
triblive.com/x/valleynewsdispatch/opinion/s_785678.html - 2012-03-09

Offline biggles

• Gold 47
Thanks honey for keeping us up to date.  :-* xxoo
I know that I know nothing - thanks Capricorn.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter