collapse

Author Topic: Global Honey Bee Disorders and Extinction  (Read 26805 times)

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
Re: Global Honey Bee Disorders and Extinction
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 10:12:56 pm »
I was thinking when I read this latest article that maybe we should just do what the abundance crowds want to see happen and make ROBOT BEES

I hope you're not assuming that I am one of the people who thinks that would be a good idea, Zorgon.  I advocate the use of automation, yes; but I've never advocated it for more than simple, rote tasks.  I like to think I've been fairly consistent about emphasising that.

Trying to use robots to emulate entire natural life forms is disastrously arrogant, and is only asking for trouble.  Technology has its' uses, but good engineering can only ever emulate pre-existing natural processes anyway; and never for more than extremely simple tasks, as mentioned. 

Nature is our teacher.  Mechanical/electronic technology can and should work with it.  Attempting to replace Nature, however, will not accomplish anything other than our extinction.  The fact that I realise this, is what distinguishes me from the transhumanists.

If you have to give me a label, I am willing to answer to either the term, "Steampunk," or "Reform Luddite;" but in my own case at least, please do not assume that I advocate the replacement of Nature with machines, or that I am a transhumanist.  I am not one of them at all.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:17:38 pm by zorgon »
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 10:34:07 am »
I'm guessing these robot bees will not be making much honey...

And I suppose if We need to artificially pollinate, this is not the worst choice.  Still, the closer to nature We are, the better.  And removal of the poisons that are killing Our natural pollinators (and honey makers!) is a far better solution than robots.
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

sky otter

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 11:28:31 am »

well the good news if there is any is that there are other pollinators out there and they are stepping up..which is good
just not on a commercial level
plus there are wild bees that are not supplied anything to keep them alive thur the winter

i know this will sound stange to a few who haven't realized i'm happily nuts..lol
 but
several years ago we had 6 hives and the mite problem wiped them out..it was scary awful
the second year
i sat out in the garden and ask the earth divas and who ever was in charge to sent us some bees for the garden..i was sincere, hopeful and believing

the very next day as i sat beside the walnut tree to meditate i heard the sound of a swarm..
from previous experience i knew the sound
they landed about 15 ft away in the huge twisted maple..i didn't know it had an opening and  hollow parts...
i yelled for hubby, cause he is the bee keeper, to get a super and see if we could get the swarm into it...they were up about 16/18 ft on a large limb
we put a readied super under the limb and hubby was going to shaken them into it when
 we realized that they where going into the tree
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

we were incredulous and wow'd by it....
thur the years that followed hubby captured many a swarm from this group..the tree could only hold so many and they were very productive...wild bees are a bit smaller and much gentler than
cultivated bees
then they froze in a very cold year..and we had lost the last two hives to a young passing thur bear

last year the tree had bees again..i am hoping for them to make it thur this winter

;D

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 10:20:07 pm »
I hope you're not assuming that I am one of the people who thinks that would be a good idea,

No I was musing.... and decided to do a search, like I usually do when the muse hits me and I am always surprised when I find an article that supports my muse :P

You, my friend, are far too touchy for your own good :P

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 10:43:49 pm »
From Dr Joe Resnick

Parasites that attack Bees...

This is a 'trachea-mite' that attaches to the bee's air sacks and eventually suffocates the bee...

This is a 'varrowa-mite'....

Similarly, the varrowa mite clings to the bee's air sack and eventually suffocates the bee....

This is the 'Bee Medica' I 'invented' that kills trachea and varrow mites... The substance inside the microcapsule is Australian Tea Tree Oil...which is harmless to bees. The microcapsules in this slide show are 25microns in size...that is 1/4th the size of a salt crystal found in your table salt...very small. The shell is made of pure Beeswax and the core contains the Tea Tree Oil. The honey bee carries the microcapsule into the brood box where the beeswax is consumed and the tea tree oil is released (spilled). The oil 'off-gasses' and it is this 'gas' containing the Volitile Organic Compound that kills the mites. Pretty 'kewel'...huh?

[youtube]9xDfe5iQ6K8[/youtube]

Offline burntheships

• Administrator
  • Gold 277
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 02:23:33 pm »
Another huge bee kill, this time its 1,500 Mayan bee colonies,
and GMO Pesticides are directly implicated again in the colony deaths!

Further, the farmers have lost all of the honey, due to contamination!

The Yucatan Times ’ breaking news regarding the death of 1500 bee colonies caused by the spraying of Monsanto’s Roundup on GM maize in an impoverished Mayan farming community in Mexico.

1,500 colonies of honeybees, from a community in Hopelchen, Campeche, died this February 6 from the fumigation of Monsanto’s GMO’s in a nearby area.

This has directly impacted more than 50 impoverished families, who recently suffered a poor corn crop due to drought. The community was relying on their sale of organic honey to compensate for the lack of maize. The current honey left by the bees is also lost due to the contamination of pesticides and transgenic pollen.
http://sustainablepulse.com/2013/02/10/mayan-farmers-gmos-cause-end-of-the-world-1500-bee-colonies/

And, as we have seen in the past, the agencies are once again turning a blind eye!

Alvaro Mena, a mayan farmer from Hopelchen testifies that GMO’s are known to be resistant to pesticides and are planted in large plots, in which huge amounts of Monsanto's Round Up pesticides are applied.

Several networks of scientists and farmers scheduled a debate, held at the Faculty of Science, thousands showed up to participate in the debate on GM maize on Thursday, February 7, packed out the auditorium,  and the officials would not attend, stating they hold no position, and were too busy to attend.

This sure seems to be a concerted effort on the part of many to conceal the
true causes of bee extinciton.

Peter Rosset, biologist and researcher, presented a list of papers published in refereed scientific journals, particularly a compilation of studies conducted in 2009 by scientists and Ioannis S. Dona Artemis Arvanitoyannis, indicating that GM crops are associated with toxic effects, hepatic, pancreatic, renal, reproductive and immune and blood disorders and cancer effects.

The Mayan bee farmer Alvaro Mena called to the public to support the growth of
2013 becoming the “Year of resistance"
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:53:13 am by zorgon »
"This is the Documentary Channel"
- Zorgon

Offline burntheships

• Administrator
  • Gold 277
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 09:08:28 pm »
Another massive bee die off, this time in California.
The results are in, and here again, pesticides are implicated in this
750,000k bee kill.

“It was devastating to see the number of dead bees outside the hive, and watch those in their death throes, twitching and stumbling around in front of the hive, unable to fly,” Kappel added. Over the next few weeks she watched as her hive went from a healthy population of almost 70,000 bees to being completely empty in less than a month with dead bodies scattered everywhere.http://www.independent.com/news/2013/feb/03/montecito-bees-signal-things-come/

A total of 16 formerly healthy hives, with an average population of 30-60,000 bees each were lost. SBBA estimates approximately 750,000 bees lost their lives, all within a 1.5-mile radius. The Association submitted four test samples to Penn State University for a comprehensive pesticide screening and just received the reports back from the USDA labs.

As SBBA leaders suspected, there were several commonly used pesticides found in bee food stores, brood cells and wax. http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?nid=107958
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:52:50 am by zorgon »
"This is the Documentary Channel"
- Zorgon

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 11:56:02 am »
Up to 12 million Bees Found Dead in Florida and No one Knows Why

Authorities have already ruled out disease, including the infamous “Colony Collapse Disorder” (CCD), as the cause of a recent honeybee holocaust that took place in Brevard County, Florida. The UK’s Daily Mail reports that up to 12 million bees from roughly 800 apiaries in the area all dropped dead at roughly the same time around September 26 — and local beekeepers say pesticides are likely to blame. CCD is the term often used to describe the inexplicable mass die-off of honeybees around the world, which typically involves honeybees leaving their hives and, for whatever reason, never finding their way back home. Mass die-offs associated with CCD often occur at seemingly random locations around the world, and typically involve a gradual process of disappearance and eventual colony collapse — and the dead bees are typically nowhere to be found. But the recent Florida event involved hundreds of colonies from 30 different sites in a one-and-a-half mile radius literally dropping dead all at the same time and leaving their carcasses behind, which is why authorities have dismissed CCD as the cause. Based on the appearance of the dead bees, as well as the synchronous timing of their deaths, pesticide spraying appear to be the culprit in this case. “I’m a pretty tough guy, but it is heart wrenching,” said Charles Smith of Smith Family Honey Company to News 13 in Orlando

His family’s company lost an estimated $150,000 worth of bees in the recent die-off. “Not only is it a monetary loss here, but we work really hard on these bees to keep them in good health.” The Florida die-off coincides with a recent county-wide mosquito eradication effort, during which helicopters flew over various parts of the county and sprayed airborne pesticides. Officials, of course, deny that this taxpayer-funded spraying initiative had anything to do with the bee genocide, though. “The fact that it was so widespread and so rapid, I think you can pretty much rule out disease,” said Bill Kern, an entomologist from the University of Florida (UF) to Florida Today. “It happened essentially almost in one day. Usually diseases affect adults or the brood, you don’t have something that kills them both.” Many of the beekeepers who lost their hives in the mass killing raised their bees to sell to American farmers, who then used them to pollinate food crops. Because of their massive losses, many of these beekeepers could end up losing their entire beekeeping businesses.

http://worldtruth.tv/up-to-12-million-bees-found-dead-in-florida-and-no-one-knows-why/

sky otter

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 02:42:26 pm »

they spray for mosquitoes  there all the time..check this out
i put some spaces in cause it was all pushed together and hard to read

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34434-i3909-k5448413-3_times_a_week_Brevard_mosquitoe_spraying_Melbourne_beach_Fl-Melbourne_Beach_Florida.html

“ 3 times a week Brevard mosquitoe spraying Melbourne beach Fl ”
May 25, 2012, 7:48 PM
If i knew that Brevard county sprays for mosquitoes so much i wouldnt move here.

THE AREAS ARE MELBOURNE BEACH ISLAND, SEBASTIAN INLET STATE PARK, LONG POINT HEAVILY SPRAYED WEEKLY BY BREVARD MOSQUITOE CONTROL.. I ve had sore throat, and feeling unwell, it effects endocrine system. I never get sore throat in Florida.

They spray 2-3 times a week by truck and by helicopter. If you think its very pretty here dont be fooled. The spraying does little to control mosquitoes, yes we have billion mosquitoes here, but its either they come up with eco ways to control mosquitoes or people should not live here at all, just visit and to go to beach only.

Mosquitoes are not bad on the ocean side, only bad on low lying river side. Houses on ocean side are fine, houses on opposite ocean streets get sprayed heavily with toxic Biomist15 which causes endocrine disruption in humans, animals

. Bees are gone and i cant imagine after having sore throat how safe this operation really is? Mosquitoe control lies that it is safe. We already have pollution from cars and etc, why pollute more? They need to stop spraying and come up with better solutions to control mosquitoes in Brevard county. We need fresh air!

http://www.brevardcounty.us/MosquitoControl/SprayAreas

http://web.brevardcounty.us/PublicRecordsRequest/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:48:24 pm by sky otter »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 02:24:14 am »

Tens of millions of Florida bees mysteriously drop dead in one day, beekeepers blame pesticides

(Natural News) Authorities have already ruled out disease, including the infamous “Colony Collapse Disorder” (CCD), as the cause of a recent honeybee holocaust that took place in Brevard County, Florida. The UK’s Daily Mail reports that up to 12 million bees from roughly 800 apiaries in the area all dropped dead at roughly the same time around September 26 — and local beekeepers say pesticides are likely to blame.

CCD is the term often used to describe the inexplicable mass die-off of honeybees around the world, which typically involves honeybees leaving their hives and, for whatever reason, never finding their way back home. Mass die-offs associated with CCD often occur at seemingly random locations around the world, and typically involve a gradual process of disappearance and eventual colony collapse — and the dead bees are typically nowhere to be found.

But the recent Florida event involved hundreds of colonies from 30 different sites in a one-and-a-half mile radius literally dropping dead all at the same time and leaving their carcasses behind, which is why authorities have dismissed CCD as the cause. Based on the appearance of the dead bees, as well as the synchronous timing of their deaths, pesticide sprayings appear to be the culprit in this case.

“I’m a pretty tough guy, but it is heart wrenching,” said Charles Smith of Smith Family Honey Company to News 13 in Orlando. His family’s company lost an estimated $150,000 worth of bees in the recent die-off. “Not only is it a monetary loss here, but we work really hard on these bees to keep them in good health.”

The Florida die-off coincides with a recent county-wide mosquito eradication effort, during which helicopters flew over various parts of the county and sprayed airborne pesticides. Officials, of course, deny that this taxpayer-funded spraying initiative had anything to do with the bee genocide, though.

“The fact that it was so widespread and so rapid, I think you can pretty much rule out disease,” said Bill Kern, an entomologist from the University of Florida (UF) to Florida Today. “It happened essentially almost in one day. Usually diseases affect adults or the brood, you don’t have something that kills them both.”

Many of the beekeepers who lost their hives in the mass killing raised their bees to sell to American farmers, who then used them to pollinate food crops. Because of their massive losses, many of these beekeepers could end up losing their entire beekeeping businesses.

Visit Natural News for more information.

http://www.realfarmacy.com/tens-of-millions-of-florida-bees-mysteriously-drop-dead-in-one-day-beekeepers-blame-pesticides/

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 05:36:26 pm »
Tis the Season... More Dead Bees

37 Million Bees Found Dead in Elmwood Canada

Local beekeepers are finding millions of their bees dead just after corn was planted here in the last few weeks. Dave Schuit, who has a honey operation in Elmwood, lost 600 hives, a total of 37 million bees.

“Once the corn started to get planted our bees died by the millions,” Schuit said. He and many others, including the European Union, are pointing the finger at a class of insecticides known as neonicotinoids, manufactured by Bayer CropScience Inc. used in planting corn and some other crops. The European Union just recently voted to ban these insecticides for two years, beginning December 1, 2013, to be able to study how it relates to the large bee kill they are experiencing there also.

Local grower Nathan Carey from the Neustadt, and National Farmers Union Local 344 member, says he noticed this spring the lack of bees and bumblebees on his farm. He believes that there is a strong connection between the insecticide use and the death of pollinators.

“I feel like we all have something at stake with this issue,” he said. He is organizing a public workshop and panel discussion about this problem at his farm June 22 at 10 a.m. He hopes that all interested parties can get together and talk about the reason bees, the prime pollinators of so any different plant species, are dying.

At the farm of Gary Kenny, south west of Hanover, eight of the 10 hives he kept for a beekeeper out of Kincardine, died this spring just after corn was planted in neighbouring fields.

http://worldtruth.tv/37-million-bees-found-dead-in-elmwood-canada/

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 06:04:19 pm »
25,000 Bees Found Dead In Oregon Parking Lot, Environmental Organization Says
The Huffington Post  |  Posted: 06/20/2013

Tens of thousands of dead bees and other insects were found in a Target parking lot in Oregon earlier this week in what is being called one of the largest mass deaths of bumblebees in the western U.S., a local environmental organization says.

The dead bumblebees, reported to be around 25,000 number, were found by shoppers under blooming European linden trees in Wilsonville, Ore., according to the Xerces Society, a Portland-based nonprofit that studies bees and other invertebrates. Xerces was the first to document Monday's mass death.

Update (June 21, 12:15pm): Bee-proof netting is being installed to cover the 55 linden trees in the parking lot to prevent further bee deaths, The Oregonian reports. The paper also reported that the Oregon Department of Agriculture is working with a number of organizations, including the maker of Safari, the insecticide suspected in the deaths, to determine further action.

Previously reported:

While the cause of the die-off remains unknown, the organization believes the incident may be from a toxic pesticide that was used on the trees for cosmetic reasons, or simply because the trees are members of a poisonous species.

The Oregon Department of Agriculture is working to determine the cause.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/20/bees-dead-oregon-target-_n_3472870.html

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:11:49 pm by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 06:07:50 pm »
After 50,000 dead bees found in Wilsonville, more dead bees discovered in Hillsboro

Pictured is one of the estimated 50,000 bumblebees found dead in Wilsonville. (Motoya Nakamura/The Oregonian)

The City of Hillsboro and the Oregon Department of Agriculture are investigating the deaths of what could be hundreds of bees in downown Hillsboro over the past few days.

The city notified state agricultural officials and the Xerces Society Friday. The kill-off is more alarming because its discovery comes after an estimated 50,000 bumblebees were found dead at a Target parking lot in Wilsonville during the past week or so.

“We take it seriously,” Hillsboro spokesman Patrick Preston said, Saturday. “We recognize the importance of bees.”

Hillsboro officials aren’t sure what’s killing the bees, but Preston confirmed that the trees in downtown Hillsboro were treated with the same pesticide, Safari spray, as 55 trees that were sprayed in Wilsonville. Agricultural officials determined that the insecticide — which is meant to kill aphids — caused the Wilsonville bees’ deaths.

http://www.oregonlive.com/hillsboro/index.ssf/2013/06/after_50000_bees_die_in_wilson.html

Offline micjer

• Gold 100
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 05:23:47 am »
Tis the Season... More Dead Bees

37 Million Bees Found Dead in Elmwood Canada

Update.  This guy is not too far from where I live.  He was on the local news last night and the bees are still dying off.  Corn planting has been done for 2 months, so he is saying there is a residual effect from the insecticide that is still killing his bees.  Autopsies on the bees show traces of  neonicotinoids, so he has proof.

There is a petition from the bee growers of Ontario to Health Canada to ban the use of these insecticides before next years growing season.  Most of the seed corn grown in Canada comes from the US and some from Chile,  so it will surprise me if the petition is won.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 05:26:17 am by micjer »
The only people in the world, it seems, who believe in conspiracy theory, are those of us that have studied it.    Pat Shannon

Offline larishira

• Regular Members
  • Gold 5
    • FB
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 10:47:36 pm »
this is remember a lot the X files first movie....
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]