collapse

Author Topic: they know what you are doing  (Read 273621 times)

space otter

Re: they know what you are doing
« Reply #555 on: May 10, 2015, 05:59:06 pm »

where do YOU shop.. and just another reason to stick with CASH as much as possible

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/70-million-americans-report-stolen-data/ar-BBjmboJ

70 million Americans report stolen data

More than 70 million American adults discovered that their personal information had been compromised in 2014, according to projections from a recent nationally representative survey of more than 3,000 American adults, conducted by Consumer Reports.

While some of those incidents may have resulted from stolen credit cards or other crimes, many stemmed from data breaches. And, as a slew of widely reported breaches last year showed, not only online shoppers are at risk. According to Consumer Reports’s survey, 79% of those notified of a data breach were told by a brick-and-mortar store or a financial institution. Just eighteen percent said the problem originated with an online retailer.

Those findings are supported by research from the non-profit Identity Theft Resource Center (ITRC), which found that a record high 783 data breaches occurred in 2014, up more than 27.5 percent from 2013. “Last year was an exceptional year because of the raw numbers and the traction they were getting in the media,” says Eva Velasquez, CEO/president of ITRC.

It’s important to protect your data from identity theft, whether you’ve been notified of a breach or not. That might sound obvious, but in the Consumer Reports survey, half of those who were affected by data theft said they did not change their online behavior afterward. Here are 10 simple steps you can take to lock down your sensitive info, and five things to do if you've been notified of a breach. You should also be sure to carefully check the “explanations of benefits” notices sent by your health insurance provider to make sure they’re for services you actually received and not something a medical identity thief ordered up, Velasquez says.

The study arguably highlights the need for stronger consumer protections. Among the latest proposals in Congress is the Consumer Privacy Protection Act, a bill introduced by Sen. Patrick Leahy (D, Vt.) that would cover not only financial data, but things like photos and videos stored in the cloud. It would also require companies to notify consumers of a breach within 30 days. "This measure, as well as another bill introduced by Senator Nelson (D, Fla.) will move the ball forward on better data protection for consumers," says Ellen Bloom, Senior Director of Federal Policy and the Washington Office for Consumers Union, the advocacy branch of Consumer Reports. "Congress needs to set strong federal standards for defending consumer data while allowing states to enact or maintain more stringent laws if necessary to protect their residents."

—Donna Tapellini

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #556 on: May 10, 2015, 09:11:57 pm »
With today's banking systems all online  It is easy to keep track of your spending.

I always use one card for purchases that I leave only a small amount in it and a different card for Ebay/paypal etc deallings

I can easily transfer money between accounts for free in an instant. I can set alerts for all kinds of things and the bank will automatically question ANYTHING out of the ordinary  like if you get a purchase in Texas  yet there are no gas receipts for travel around that time :D

When I registered the domain pegasusresearchconsortium.com  I used a hosting company that I found out later was no good.  They were based in Italy.  A few months later there was a purchase of 280.00 somewhere in Italy..  Bank caught it right away

I like using Paypal for online because you don't have to send anyone your info  Just your paypal account.

More and more merchants are actually accepting Paypal in the real world.  Just bought tickets to a show in Vegas via Paypal Credit

Scams are everywhere  Just have to monitor your card use. I do it routinely once a day when I check my online sales

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #557 on: May 11, 2015, 01:44:30 pm »
I don't have any card. :)

space otter

« Reply #558 on: May 13, 2015, 03:43:06 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/13/house-nsa-data-collection_n_7278780.html

House Approves Bill That Would End NSA Bulk Data Collection

Reuters 

Posted:  05/13/2015 5:45 pm EDT    Updated:  35 minutes ago

WASHINGTON, May 13 (Reuters) - The U.S. House of Representatives on Wednesday approved a bill that would end spy agencies' bulk collections of Americans' telephone data, setting up a potential showdown with the U.S. Senate over the program that expires on June 1.

As voting continued, the House overwhelmingly backed the USA Freedom Act, which would end the bulk collection program and instead give intelligence agencies access to telephone data and other records only when a court finds there is reasonable suspicion about a link to international terrorism.

The bill's fate is much less certain in the Senate, where many key lawmakers would rather reauthorize the existing bulk data collection program than approve the Freedom Act. (Reporting by Patricia Zengerle; Editing by Peter Cooney)

well it will probably pass..because of the next piece of media

http://www.nationaljournal.com/congress/sen-bob-corker-is-shocked-by-how-little-data-the-nsa-is-collecting-20150513

Sen. Bob Corker Is 'Shocked' by How Little Data the NSA Is Collecting

The NSA bulk-data program is so scaled down, it might not even be effective, the Senate Foreign Relations chairman claims.

By Lauren Fox

May 13, 2015 As the deadline to reauthorize the bulk-data-collection program rapidly approaches, Republican Sen. Bob Corker says that an administration-led classified briefing Tuesday afternoon recalibrated the debate.

Not only does Corker support the National Security Agency's metadata program, he is now seriously concerned that it collects too little data to actually be effective. He described the limited scope of the program he learned about Tuesday as "malpractice."

"It is beyond belief how little data is part of the program, and the type of data, especially if the goal is to deal with terrorists or recover terrorists," Corker said during a Christian Science Monitor breakfast with reporters Wednesday morning.

Administration officials at the briefing on Tuesday included FBI Director James Comey and NSA Director Michael Rogers.

While Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr are pushing the Senate to reauthorize the program as is, the House of Representatives is expected to pass the USA Freedom Act Wednesday, legislation that scales back the program and only makes metadata available to the NSA on a case-by-case basis. The Obama administration has said publicly that it supports the House legislation. That puts the House and Senate on a collision course with little time left to resolve differences. Corker says that the "libertarian bent" that occurred after the "Snowden affair" still may be combated.

According to Corker, he was not the only one surprised by the briefing, which was arranged by Senate leaders. His colleagues in both the Republican and Democratic parties were "shocked" by the information they learned.

"The program is actually not the program I thought it was. Not even close," Corker said. "I think you are going to see people on both sides of the aisle pushing, wondering why not more data is part of the database that is used to protect our citizens."

If Americans are concerned about privacy infringement, Corker balks, that should be the least of their worries.

"There are all these myths about what the metadata program is," Corkers said. "I am incredibly disappointed that we have allowed a program that is supposed to be so important to our national security to be so ineptly carried out."

Corker—who brokered a deal in Congress to approve of an Iran nuclear agreement with an up-or-down vote—had more lobs of criticism for the administration, however, beyond simply how it carries out the metadata program. As the chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, Corker said he continues to be taken aback by Secretary of State John Kerry's posture toward nuclear negotiations with Iran.

"I had breakfast a week and a half ago with Secretary Kerry and expressed a lot of concerns," Corker says. "Kerry comes across, I'm sorry, there is a colloquial way of describing this that I won't use in this type of setting. ... He appears to be a guy who just wants a deal whatever it takes to do a deal."

Corker added, "It feels rather perverse."

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 04:02:07 pm by space otter »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #559 on: May 14, 2015, 12:29:04 am »
And the Pendulum Swings!

Might be hope for us after all :D

space otter

« Reply #560 on: May 15, 2015, 05:59:52 pm »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/15/new-iris-recognition-tech_n_7286760.html?utm_hp_ref=technology

New Iris Recognition Tech Could Make It Easier To Catch Criminals -- Or Find Protesters

Posted:  05/15/2015 9:46 am EDT    Updated:  3 hours ago
Alexander Howard

Technology to identify people by matching the irises of their eyes against a database has existed for years, but a new invention could now allow us to do the same thing from much farther away. As Robinson Meyer reported in The Atlantic, long range iris-scanning is here.

In the short video below, professor Marios Savvides demonstrates a prototype device he and his students developed at the CyLab in Carnegie Mellon's School of Engineering.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13zFQh7BPG4[/youtube]

2009, the CyLab Biometric Lab received a $1.5 dollar grant from the Department of Defense to work on long-distance iris recognition. This prototype is the result.

The American military has been using handheld iris recognition devices in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2004, compiling a database of millions of iris scans. Consumers can expect iris scanners to be part of mobile devices and buildings in the near future. Apple might use iris scanning in future generations of its iPhones and iPads, for instance, building on the fingerprint authentication it already has in its newest devices. Eventually, law enforcement and counterterrorism agencies could use long-distance iris recognition to match the "eye prints" of people moving across international borders or transit points to persons of interest.

"This project started when I was reading about how soldiers were using devices out in the field, using devices and trying to match just 5 inches away from harm's way," said Savvides. "I thought that if could we build a way that can protect our soldiers so that they can stand further away, they'd be safer. Capturing and recognizing from a distance could mean the difference from a soldier having to walk up to a person and step on an IED or walk up to a potential terrorist who may be strapped in explosives. Having the ability to detect threat from a distance can save lives."

Savvides believes that long-distance iris scanners could be used to prevent child trafficking, protect soldiers in the field and enable police to catch criminals who would otherwise escape justice. But unlike portable units or devices mounted on buildings, long-distance iris scans could be obtained without a subject's knowledge or consent, which creates new horizons for covert use and abuse. If the patented invention is further developed and adopted on a broader scale, it will have the ability to shift the balance between privacy and obscurity.

Databases of biometric identifiers are already being built up domestically. Last year, the National Journal reported that the FBI projected its database of biometric identifiers (including iris scans) could catalog up to 52 million photos of faces by 2015.

Savvides, whose background is in software, not optical engineering, worked with his students to develop a system that can capture an iris from 6 to 12 yards away. Desktop units can capture images of an iris 18 inches away, while airport scanners can capture images 1 to 2 yards away. CyLab's key innovation is the long-distance ability, combined with pattern recognition software. For the current prototype to work, a person's eye has to stay stationary for 3 seconds -- though a reflection in a mirror is sufficient, as you can see in the video embedded above. For its next version, CyLab is working on capturing images of eyes in motion.

As the technology matures and infrastructure barriers to its use fall, the primary issue is likely to be public opinion and the objections of civil liberties groups. The American Civil Liberties Union has warned of the privacy risks of eye tracking, including enabling governments or companies to make guesses about a person's sexuality, detect whether they have a mental illness or even see if they've been drinking or using drugs.

If long-distance iris recognition leaves the prototype stage, it will also become one of several surveillance tools that democratic governments must apply export controls to, in order to prevent authoritarian governments with poor human rights records from obtaining the technology. The same iris recognition software that could enable law enforcement to stop a known terrorist from crossing the Mexico border or a prevent a serial killer from skipping town at a train station could be applied in other contexts to identifying protestors and journalists for secret police to track down.

Savvides expressed frustration with the way that Hollywood has affected public views and understanding of biometrics, pointing to dystopian depictions of them in films like "Minority Report."

"What we don't see is the fact that every second there's a crime somewhere, there's CCTV footage, and law enforcement has no idea who it is," he said. "The CSI effect is not real."

Even if the CyLab's iris detection rig is a prototype, Savvides said that he's received strong interest from law enforcement agencies and at least one nonprofit, Seraphim Global, which provides technical support to human rights organizations and humanitarian causes. Savvidas also holds a patent for continuous authentication -- where an iris scanner could be used to ensure that only verified personnel are looking at health or legal records on a given screen.

Savvidas also noted that improved iris verification systems could be useful in a public health context, if they enable people to avoid touching screens that spread diseases. They could also help solve the issue of bad passwords.

Many of his peers in the biometrics industry agree with him. In a 2014 white paper from the International Biometrics & Identification Association, the group argues that facial recognition does not increase the use of surveillance or make "face stalking" more practical.

But critics also point to the security risk that huge databases of biometric markers could pose. When data breaches have led to stolen credit card numbers, consumers can change them. If digital biometric identifiers are stolen by hackers, it's difficult to change a fingerprint or eyeball.

When we talked through some of the potential issues, Savvides acknowledged the concerns and highlighted some potential technical solutions, like "cancellable biometrics" that distort the actual fingerprint or iris scan when it's stored. His lab has worked on techniques for cancelable biometric filters for face recognition.

"There are ways that you don't have to send your actual metrics somewhere," he said. "Even if it's stolen, how can someone use it? You would have to go to great lengths to spoof it, and the systems are getting better all the time, detecting if they are looking at a picture or a face."

While the potential for misuse exists, Savvides holds that positive applications of iris recognition scanning will be used for the public good, not against citizens. In his view, the Boston Marathon bombing was one example where law enforcement didn't have the tools it needed to catch a perpetrator. This kind of system might have helped.

"Guns can be used in a good way or a bad way," he said. "Anything can be misused. I condemn the use of technology being used in a bad way. I see a great demand for this tech to be used to save lives. I really hate that it's painted negatively. You could save so many people's lives, from criminals to abducted people."
[/b]

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #561 on: May 16, 2015, 09:01:06 am »
I didn't read it all (too long), does this "long-distance iris recognition" detects if the iris is from a living eye (like the best close-distance systems do) or can I start selling glasses with famous politicians iris' on them? ;D

space otter

« Reply #562 on: May 16, 2015, 10:28:43 am »

well ArMaP.. since that was too long this will probably also be too long.. but the rain has me inside today so here ya go.. tons of info...
I think the answer to your question is..you're too late..already being done ;D

Black Hat: Iris scanners 'can be tricked' by hackers
26 July 2012
From the section Technology

Security researchers have discovered a way to replicate a person's eye to bypass iris-scanning security systems.

A team at the Universidad Autonoma de Madrid was able to recreate the image of an iris from digital codes of real irises stored in security databases.

The findings were shared at the annual Black Hat security conference in Las Vegas.

It raises doubts over what is considered to be one of the most secure methods of biometric security.

Researcher Javier Galbally and his team, which included researchers from West Virginia University, were able to print out synthetic images of irises.

In one experiment, the researchers tested their fake irises against a leading commercial-recognition system. In 80% of attempts, they said, the scanner believed it was a real eye.

While researchers have been able to create realistic iris images for some time, it is thought that this is the first instance where the fake image can be generated from the iris code of a real person - a method which could be used to steal someone's identity.

An iris code is the data stored by recognition systems when it scans a person's eye. It contains around 5,000 different pieces of information.

Digital WMD
The research was explained to an audience at the annual Black Hat conference, a meeting of the leading figures in IT security from across the world.

Shawn Henry, the former head of the FBI's cybercrime unit, gave a key speech at the event.

If we understand who the adversary is, we can take specific actionsShawn Henry, Former FBI cybercrime chief
He urged security experts to counter-attack in their attempts to stamp out criminal activity.

"We need warriors to fight our enemies, particularly in the cyber world right now," he told his audience.

"I believe the threat from computer network attack is the most significant threat we face as a civilised world, other than a weapon of mass destruction."

He called on the computer security industry to begin looking at ways of gathering intelligence on possible attacks and attackers, rather than seeking simply to block them when they happen.

"It is not enough to watch the perimeter," Mr Henry said.

"We have to be constantly hunting, looking for tripwires.

"Intelligence is the key to all of this. If we understand who the adversary is, we can take specific actions."

http://www.wired.com/2012/07/reverse-engineering-iris-scans/

LAS VEGAS — Remember that scene in Minority Report when the spider robots stalk Tom Cruise to his apartment and scan his iris to identify him?

Things could have turned out so much better for Cruise had he been wearing a pair of contact lenses embossed with an image of someone else’s iris.

New research being released this week at the Black Hat security conference by academics in Spain and the U.S. may make that possible.

The academics have found a way to recreate iris images that match digital iris codes that are stored in databases and used by iris-recognition systems to identify people. The replica images, they say, can trick commercial iris-recognition systems into believing they’re real images and could help someone thwart identification at border crossings or gain entry to secure facilities protected by biometric systems.

The work goes a step beyond previous work on iris-recognition systems. Previously, researchers have been able to create wholly synthetic iris images that had all of the characteristics of real iris images — but weren’t connected to real people. The images were able to trick iris-recognition systems into thinking they were real irises, though they couldn’t be used to impersonate a real person. But this is the first time anyone has essentially reverse-engineered iris codes to create iris images that closely match the eye images of real subjects, creating the possibility of stealing someone’s identity through their iris.

“The idea is to generate the iris image, and once you have the image you can actually print it and show it to the recognition system, and it will say ‘okay, this is the
guy,'” says Javier Galbally, who conducted the research with colleagues at the Biometric Recognition Group-ATVS, at the Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, and researchers at West Virginia University.

Click to Open Overlay GalleryOr is this?Click to Open Overlay GalleryIs this real?
Iris-recognition systems are rapidly growing in use around the world by law enforcement agencies and the commercial sector. They’re touted as faster, more sanitary and more accurate than fingerprint systems. Fingerprint systems measure about 20-40 points for matching while iris recognition systems measure about 240 points.

Schipol Airport in the Netherlands allows travelers to enter the country without showing a passport if they participate in its Privium iris recognition program. When travelers enroll in the program, their eyes are scanned to produce binary iris codes that are stored on a Privium card. At the border crossing, the details on the card are matched to a scan taken of the cardholder’s eye to allow the person passage.

Since 2004, airports in the United Kingdom have allowed travelers registered in its iris-recognition program to pass through automated border gates without showing a passport, though authorities recently announced they were dropping the program because passengers had trouble properly aligning their eyes with the scanner to get automated gates to open.

Google also uses iris scanners, along with other biometric systems, to control access to some of its data centers. And the FBI is currently testing an iris-recognition program on federal prison inmates in 47 states. Inmate iris scans are stored in a database managed by a private firm named BI2 Technologies and will be part of a program aimed at quickly identifying repeat offenders when they’re arrested as well as suspects who provide false identification.

When someone participates in an iris-recognition system, his or her eyes are scanned to create iris codes, which are binary representations of the image. The iris code, which consists of about 5,000 bits of data, is then stored in a database for matching. The iris code is stored instead of the iris image for security and privacy reasons.

When that person then later goes before an iris-recognition scanner – to obtain access to a facility, to cross a border or to access a computer, for example – their iris is scanned and measured against the iris code stored in the database to authenticate the person’s identity.

It’s long been believed that it wasn’t possible to reconstruct the original iris image from an iris code stored in a database. In fact, B12 Technologies says on its web site that biometric templates “cannot be reconstructed, decrypted, reverse-engineered or otherwise manipulated to reveal a person’s identity. In short, biometrics can be thought of as a very secure key: Unless a biometric gate is unlocked by using the right key, no one can gain access to a person’s identity.”

But the researchers showed that this is not always the case.

Click to Open Overlay GalleryAnd this?Click to Open Overlay GalleryWhat about this?
Their research involved taking iris codes that had been created from real eye scans as well as synthetic iris images created wholly by computers and modifying the latter until the synthetic images matched real iris images. The researchers used a genetic algorithm to achieve their results.

Genetic algorithms are tools that improve results over several iterations of processing data. In this case, the algorithm examined the synthetic images against the iris code and altered the images until it achieved one that would produce a near identical iris code as the original iris image when scanned.

“At each iteration it uses the synthetic images of the previous iteration to produce a new set of synthetic iris images that have an iris code which is more similar (than the synthetic images of the previous iteration) to the iris code being reconstructed,” Galbally says.

It takes the algorithm between 100-200 iterations to produce an iris image that is “sufficiently similar” to one the researchers are trying to reproduce.

Since no two images of the same iris produce the same iris code, iris recognition systems use a “similarity score” to match an image to the iris code. The owner of the scanner can set a threshold that determines how similar an image needs to be to the iris code to call it a match.

The genetic algorithm examines the similarity score given by the recognition system after each iteration and then improves the next iteration to obtain a better score.

“The genetic algorithm applies four … rules inspired in natural evolution to combine the synthetic iris images of one iteration in such a way … that they produce new and better synthetic iris images in the next generation — the same way that natural species evolve from generation to generation to adapt better to their habitat but in this case it is a little bit faster and we don´t have to wait millions of years, just a few minutes,” Galbally says.

Galbally says it takes about 5-10 minutes to produce an iris image that matches an iris code. He noted, though, that about 20 percent of the iris codes they attempted to recreate were resistant to the attack. He thinks this may be due to the algorithm settings.

Once the researchers perfected the synthetic images, they then scanned them against a commercial iris recognition system, and found that the scanner accepted them as matching iris images more than 80 percent of the time. They tested the images against the VeriEye iris recognition system made by Neurotechnology.

VeriEye’s algorithm is licensed to makers of iris-recognition systems and recently ranked among the top four in accuracy out of 86 algorithms tested in a competition by the National Institute of Standards and Technology. A Neurotechnology spokeswoman said there are currently 30-40 products using VeriEye technology and more are in development.

The iris codes the researchers used came from the Bio Secure database, a database of multiple kinds of biometric data collected from 1,000 subjects in Europe for research use by academics and others. The synthetic images were obtained from a database developed at West Virginia University.

After the researchers had successfully tricked the VeriEye system, they wanted to see how the reconstructed images would fare against real people. So they showed 50 real iris images and 50 images reconstructed from iris codes to two groups of people — those who have expertise in biometrics those who are untrained in the field. The images tricked the experts only 8 percent of the time, but the non-experts were tricked 35 percent of the time on average, a rate that is very high given there is a 50/50 chance of guessing correctly. It should be noted that even with their high rate of error, the non-expert group still scored better than the VeriEye algorithm.

The study assumes that someone conducting this kind of attack would have access to iris codes in the first place. But this might not be so hard to achieve if an attacker can trick someone into having their iris scanned or hacks into a database containing iris codes, such as the one that B12 technologies maintains for the FBI.

BI2 states on its web site that the iris images in its database are “encrypted using strong cryptographic algorithms to secure and protect them,” but the company could not be reached to obtain details about how exactly it secures these images. Even if BI2’s database is secure, other databases containing iris codes may not be.

Click to Open Overlay GallerySolution: The picture at the top of the post is a synthetic iris image. In the first set of images below that, the one on the left is real, the other synthetic. In the second set of images, the one on left is real, the one on right synthetic. And this final one? Authentic. Look hard, and you can even see the contact lens surrounding the iris.Go Back to Top. Skip To: Start of Article.
Black Hat Conference
cybersecurity

http://www.messagetoeagle.com/irisscanningreverse.php#.VVd80KRFBMw

Biometrics: Eye-Scanners Can Be Fooled

http://www.biometricupdate.com/201310/morpho-launches-long-distance-iris-recognition-device

Morpho launches long-distance iris recognition device
By Adam Vrankulj October 3, 2013 -

Morpho has announced the launch of a new product, the Morpho IAD (Iris at a Distance), which the company says is capable of capturing iris images at a distance of one metre.

According to the company, the IAD combines both iris and face capture, and can collect iris images at a distance of one metre in a second. This, says Morpho, makes it the fastest device available on the market.

“Innovation is in Morpho’s DNA – that is why we constantly develop disruptive technologies to meet ever-evolving security needs” Philippe Petitcolin, Chairman & CEO said. Our teams have worked hard for the past few years to accomplish this technological feat and we are thrilled to be launching the market’s fastest and most advanced iris capture device.”

MorphoTrust USA, a subsidiary of Morpho, was recently given top marks for its iris identification technologies, by a NIST evaluation. According to the company, Morpho’s technology proved to be the most accurate and among the fastest for iris recognition.

Morpho will unveil its new IAD device at GITEX 2013 in Dubai from October 20 – 24, 2013

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?reload=true&arnumber=6779971

In this paper we introduce an algorithm to analyze the human iris, long-range iris recognition software has been developed to be more user-friendliness and create an economic way to the identification. Our algorithm centralized on pupil detection, and by using estimated ranges we omit the other regions to create more efficient search space. The final decision on iris region detection provides by Hough Transform. We use the Gaussian method to create a refined mask which has an important rule of the matching process. To extract efficient features of iris regions and matching we used SIFT algorithm, Results on CASIAV4-at Distance shows %93 as verification Rate.

[PDF]Robust Long Range Iris Recognition from Video Using ...
https://www.lti.cs.cmu.edu/.../yunghui_li_Ro... Cached

Carnegie Mellon University
by Y Li - ?2010 - ?Cited by 3 - ?Related articles
(IOM) is one such system, offering significant stand-off acquisition distance ... deal with the three most challenging problems in long-range iris recognition: (1).

http://news.discovery.com/tech/gear-and-gadgets/iris-scanner-identifies-a-person-40-feet-away-150410.htm

Like similar biometric technologies — fingerprint or facial recognition systems — the Carnegie Mellon project uses mathematical pattern-recognition techniques. The technology captures images from a live photographic or video feed and runs them through a database to find a potential match.

http://www.irisid.com/productssolutions/technology-2/irisrecognitiontechnology/

6.  Safety and Security Measures In Place. Iris recognition involves nothing more than taking a digital picture of the iris pattern (from video), and recreating an encrypted digital template of that pattern. 512-byte iris templates are encrypted and cannot be re-engineered or reconstituted to produce any sort of visual image. Iris recognition therefore affords high level defense against identity theft, a rapidly growing crime. The imaging process involves no lasers or bright lights and authentication is essentially non-contact.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/05/long-range-iris-scanning-is-here/393065/

Iris scanning is already in use around the world. In the United States, police have scanned the irises of prisoners in custody for at least four years. “We have everybody in orange jumpsuits, so everyone looks the same. So, quite literally, the last thing we do before you leave our facility is we compare your iris to our database,” a spokesman for the Plymouth County jail in Massachusetts told Reuters in 2011.

Around the same time, the Indian government began scanning the iris of every citizen in order to assign them a Unique Identification Number, which they must have to receive certain government benefits. The United Arab Emirates has scanned the iris of everyone entering or leaving the country for more than a decade.

These existing technologies, though, only worked at close range. In fact, iris scanning has been defended in the U.S. so far because it seemed impossible to use it discreetly. You’d know if your irises were getting scanned.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #563 on: May 16, 2015, 11:16:42 am »

well ArMaP.. since that was too long this will probably also be too long.. but the rain has me inside today so here ya go.. tons of info...
I think the answer to your question is..you're too late..already being done ;D

You're right, it was too long, I only read the first part and skimmed over the rest. :)

It looks nobody is talking about something like this, methods that use the natural reaction of the eye to know if they are looking at a real, living eye or not.

PS: here we're having a perfect sunny day. ;D

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #564 on: May 16, 2015, 01:17:20 pm »
Your right Foruminions don't have a capacity to read more then 1 paragraph :P  So ya have to use a sensational title that makes the point :D

Interesting weather here  its 74 degrees and breezy,  Oddly enough checked the Farmers Almanac and they predicted this and say it will stay cool until June  calling for 80's for June and no 100 plus this year

Now this needs a new thread :P Before all the talk of geoengineering the Farmers Almanac ws the goto for weather data.

So HOW DO THEY KNOW WHAT IS COMING?

As to IRIS Recognition  that falls under BIOMETRICS and DHS is already using biometrics for Green Cards etc

RELIABILITY OF IRIS RECOGNITION AS A MEANS OF
IDENTITY VERIFICATION AND FUTURE IMPACT ON
TRANSPORTATION WORKER IDENTIFICATION
CREDENTIAL
by
Simon McLaren
March 2008
NAVAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL
MONTEREY, CALIFORNIA
Approved for public release; distribution is unlimited.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a479955.pdf

Statistical Pattern Recognition of the Iris
http://www.mil.ufl.edu/publications/fcrar04/fcrar2004_iris.pdf

I had a report some time ago about satellite facial recognition being tested in Iraq... I will have to find it. I know they have satellites that can read a newspaper over your shoulder :D  Add Smart Dust and Biometrics and we are getting into Star Trek level sensing from space

space otter

« Reply #565 on: May 16, 2015, 04:26:02 pm »

hey Z...move it to  where ever you feel it should be

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #566 on: May 16, 2015, 09:39:56 pm »
hey Z...move it to  where ever you feel it should be

No LOL I meant my off topic weather part :P

space otter

« Reply #567 on: May 23, 2015, 03:56:06 am »

this  country is soooooooo screwed up, I think it's running on memory and when it grinds to a halt I don't think they will be able to start it again.. chaos  :(

Senate adjourns with no clear path forward on Patriot Act

The Hill
Julian Hattem
1 hr ago

The Senate failed to move forward on legislation to reform the National Security Agency or renew the Patriot Act early on Saturday morning, making it almost a sure bet that portions of the Patriot Act expire at the end of the month.

After a frenzied series of votes that were repeatedly knocked down, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) ordered lawmakers to return home for the Memorial Day weekend and return at noon on May 31 for a rare Sunday session and “one more opportunity to act responsibly.”

That would give lawmakers just 12 hours to act before portions of the Patriot Act expire — a conclusion almost everyone has said would seriously hamper national security.

“We know what’s going on overseas. We know what’s been tried here at home,’ an exasperated McConnell told lawmakers after 1 a.m.

“We’ve got a week to discuss it. We’ll have one day to do it,” he added. “But we’d better get ready next Sunday afternoon to prevent the country from the danger by the total expiration of the program.”

Starting shortly after midnight on Saturday morning, the Senate voted 57-42 to block legislation to reform the NSA, called the USA Freedom Act.

The late vote to block the USA Freedom Act — approved by the House last week in a bipartisan 338-88 vote — was quickly followed by a vote to kill a planned two-month extension of the current law from Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), 45-54. Sixty votes were needed to win on the procedural motion and proceed to the bill.

repeatedly blocked — to extend the June 1 deadline of the Patriot Act provisions to June 8, then June 5, followed by June 3 and finally June 2.

All were blocked. Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) — fresh off his 10.5-hour floor speech opposing the Patriot Act — led the charge against McConnell’s effort, and was joined by Sens. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.).

With lawmakers scrambling to find a solution to the looming deadline, there appears to be no agreed upon path forward. The prospect that the three provisions sunset at the end of the month appears more likely than ever.

“We’ve entered into a momentous debate,” Paul said in objecting to McConnell’s move. “This is a debate about whether or not a warrant is a single name of a single company can be used to collect all of the phone records of all of the people in our country.”

“Our forefathers would be aghast,” he added.

Paul is demanding that he be allowed to introduce amendments going forward, but he is clashing with GOP leaders.

The Patriot Act expires on June 1, and contains the provisions authorizing the NSA surveillance programs.

Since the House has recessed for the month, it seems nearly certain that the provisions will expire for at least a short while after the clock strikes midnight on May 31 but before House lawmakers return the afternoon of June 1.

“Make no mistake, it will expire,” said Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), whose state includes the NSA’s headquarters.

The Senate’s inability to act is “absolutely outrageous,” she added. “I worry about our country and I worry about our ability to govern.”

“This is as serious as it gets.”

McConnell argued that moving forward with a shorter-term bill and then allowing Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.) and Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) to work on their own bill was the only possible path forward.

“The two-month extension, it strikes me, would be in the best interest of getting an outcome that’s in the best interest for the Senate and the House and hopefully the president.”

Supporters of the bipartisan House bill, in contrast, were outraged.

“Let’s be clear what happened here,” Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) said after the vote was finalized. “We tried with a majority to protect this country and the Republicans objected. Let’s be clear.”

A dozen Republican senators ended up supporting the USA Freedom Act, including presidential candidate Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Sens. Mike Lee (R-Utah), Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), James Lankford (R-Okla.) and Tim Scott (R-S.C.)

Saturday morning’s failure was also a serious setback for the Obama administration, which had been lobbying members of Congress to pass the USA Freedom Act so that the Patriot Act provisions do not expire.

But while President Obama aggressively lobbied members of his own party to back him on fast-track trade legislation this week, the president was not as vocal on the NSA provisions.

At the end of the month, three parts of the Patriot Act are set to expire, including the controversial Section 215 which the NSA has used to collect in bulk records about millions of Americans’ phone calls. The program was revealed by Edward Snowden two years ago, and has been the target of reform for civil libertarians ever since.

Failure of the USA Freedom Act — after a similar setback in the closing days of Democrats’ majority in the Senate last year — sends the loudest message yet that Congress is unable to agree on reforming the nation’s intelligence powers.

Senior administration officials have said that uncertainty caused by inaction on the bill would force them to wind down the NSA’s bulk phone collection program in the coming days. They also said it would present a host of operational problems for the NSA and FBI.

In addition to the phone records program, Section 215 also give powers to the FBI to collect various records, and the other provisions allow the agency to target possible “lone wolf” terrorists and people who rely on anonymous “burner” phones.

“There is no Plan B,” White House spokesman Josh Earnest said earlier on Friday.

“The fact is we’ve got people in the United States Senate right now who are playing chicken with this,” he added. “And to play chicken with that is grossly irresponsible.”

This story was updated at 1:45 a.m.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/senate-adjourns-with-no-clear-path-forward-on-patriot-act/ar-BBk9pTU

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #568 on: May 23, 2015, 09:41:44 pm »
Every time I read the title of this thread, I think "Thank God someone knows what I'm doing!"  The Senate has no clear path?  When does Congress, in general, ever have a clear path?

And following up on Zorgon's digression,  when is it going to stop raining here?

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #569 on: May 24, 2015, 01:06:09 am »
And following up on Zorgon's digression,  when is it going to stop raining here?

After 40 days and 40 nights when the sewers back up :D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 09:19:53 am by zorgon »

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56