collapse

Author Topic: i hate ticks  (Read 14569 times)

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
Re: i hate ticks
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 03:01:45 pm »

yikes

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/oh-lovely-the-tick-that-gives-people-meat-allergies_us_59496743e4b0579a1f392748

Oh, Lovely: The Tick That Gives People Meat Allergies Is Spreading
06/20/2017 02:24 pm ET | Updated 1 hour ago
By Megan Molteni for WIRED.

First comes the unscratchable itching, and the angry blossoming of hives. Then stomach cramping, and — for the unluckiest few — difficulty breathing, passing out, and even death. In the last decade and a half, thousands of previously protein-loving Americans have developed a dangerous allergy to meat. And they all have one thing in common: the lone star tick.

Red meat, you might be surprised to know, isn’t totally sugar-free. It contains a few protein-linked saccharides, including one called galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose, or alpha-gal, for short. More and more people are learning this the hard way, when they suddenly develop a life-threatening allergy to that pesky sugar molecule after a tick bite.

Yep, one bite from the lone star tick — which gets its name from the Texas-shaped splash of white on its back — is enough to reprogram your immune system to

nice lot of info

and ends with this

Wilson is trying to get blood samples from all the new outbreaks, to figure out if the patients’ antibodies correspond to the saliva of lone star ticks or a different tick species. That will tell him if the increases in the allergy are the result of changing range patterns, or if other ticks have developed the capacity to rewire human immune systems in the same way. That information would also provide further clues to the mechanism itself. As for a cure? There’s not much science has to offer on that front, besides Epipens and veggie burgers.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:03:40 pm by space otter »

Offline biggles

• Gold 47
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 03:20:48 pm »
Thanks Otter,  ;)
I know that I know nothing - thanks Capricorn.

Offline Irene

• 🐾 👀 🐾
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 519
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 04:02:09 pm »
I'm sorry. I don't think that looks at all like Texas.

I hate ticks too. As a young girl, I went to summer camp every year for a week. One year the ticks were particularly bad. I'd come back to the cabin to change clothes and I had the little bastards all over me. I freaked out and ran around the cabin flicking ticks everywhere.

Now that I think about it, it reminds me of my cat when he runs around the house trying to fling off a dingleberry.
Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.....

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 04:50:22 pm »
I'm sorry. I don't think that looks at all like Texas.
That's what I was thinking when I read the explanation. Maybe it was from someone that didn't know how Texas looks.  :P

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 05:09:10 pm »
That's what I was thinking when I read the explanation. Maybe it was from someone that didn't know how Texas looks.  :P
Yeah that doesn't look like texas; but on the other hand, the common name for the brown recluse is 'fiddleback'  because it looks like a fiddle or violin drawn on its back
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 07:57:59 pm »
My wife is in Texas   last summer the porch where she keeps the dogs was swarming with tick.  had to keep the dogs inside kept spraying but they kept coming back by the hundreds

Not sure if they came back this year

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 07:44:29 pm »

eek.. i really do hate ticks and now another one

vid and pics at the link

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/cdc-warns-of-exotic-ticks-spreading-across-the-nation-that-may-carry-diseases/ar-BBQqep7

CDC warns of exotic ticks spreading across the nation that may carry diseases
Ashley May  13 hrs ago

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is investigating a tick that is spreading widely across the United States.
Nine states have reported finding the Asian longhorned tick, which is known to carry a variety of pathogens. The CDC said late last week it is investigating how the tick could impact the U.S.

“The full public health and agricultural impact of this tick discovery and spread is unknown ... We are concerned that this tick, which can cause massive infestations on animals, on people, and in the environment, is spreading in the United States,” Ben Beard, deputy director of CDC’s Division of Vector-Borne Diseases, said in a statement.

Asian longhorned ticks are somewhat unusual in that a single female tick can reproduce up to 2,000 eggs without mating. So, hundreds to thousands of ticks can be found on a single person or animal.

New Jersey was the first state to report an Asian longhorned tick, first on a dog in 2013 and more recently in August 2017 on a sheep. Since then, eight other states have reported finding the tick on animals, people and in environmental samples: Arkansas, Connecticut, Maryland, North Carolina, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Health officials do not know whether the longhorned tick is capable of transmitting Lyme disease, but it has been shown in Asia to spread other serious diseases such as SFTS virus and the pathogen that causes Japanese spotted fever, along with many diseases in animals.

In New Zealand and Australia, the Asian longhorned tick is known to hurt livestock, reducing production in dairy cattle by 25 percent, according to the CDC. The tick can also cause blood loss and death in calves.

Unfed ticks can live nearly a year.

To prevent tick bites, the CDC recommends using Environmental Protection Agency-registered insect repellents, avoiding wooded areas and examining yourself and pets when coming indoors.

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 06:51:49 am »
i have them but if you keep the deer at bay,then it seems to keep the ticks away.
i use olive oil mixed with garlic as an ankle lotion for it and chiggers.
keep my yard grass down low.ticks and chiggers need high grass to succeed.
lived in texas most of my life and average one of those ticks once a year.no meat allergies for my family.
i use to use sevin dust on dog before i lost him.diotomaceous earth my recliner too as its a real good at keeping chiggers away.
ive never been much for rules.
being me has its priviledges.

Dumbledore

Offline WhatTheHey

• It always remains true that light requires a source, penetrates the darkness and illuminates all it touches. Be the source be the light.
  • Inventor's Group
  • Gold 45
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 01:33:40 pm »
 :o I just read this topic and I had to REVEAL that these ticks spreading the allergic condition to red meat, were made by the COWS Those cows are  ;D

smarter then we thought!  It looks like they finally had enough of humans eating them.  lol   ;D  LOL
WhatTheHey

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2023, 06:12:42 am »

ahhhhhhhh crap yet another reason to stay out of the woods >:(

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/babesiosis-tick-disease-symptoms_l_6447f932e4b03c1b88c989e2

some of the article  which is long

You’ve probably heard of Lyme disease, the tick-borne illness that is known to infect people and dogs who spend time outside. But Lyme disease is only one of a number of tick-borne diseases that can infect humans.

Deer ticks are commonly infected with both of the pathogens that cause Lyme disease and babesiosis, which means co-infection in humans is also common, according to Karine Le Roch, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease and Vector Research at the University of California, Riverside.

So, while not all Lyme disease infections also mean you have babesiosis, it is important to know that it is common. Additionally, those who are infected with both have a greater number of symptoms and have a longer duration of disease, Vannier said. Lyme disease symptoms include a bulls-eye rash, fever, fatigue, joint stiffness and muscle weakness, according to the Mayo Clinic.

“The symptoms are very wide. I’d say it can range from asymptotic to life-threatening disease,” Le Roch said.

Most people experience flu-like symptoms, which makes the disease very hard to detect, especially with COVID-19, norovirus and the actual flu continuing to infect people.

The longer babesiosis lingers in one’s system, the more of an opportunity it has to mutate and become resistant to the drug therapies that are used for treatment, Vannier added. (There is currently no vaccine.) The most common complication is kidney failure.

That said, it’s important to remember that most people’s immune systems can handle this disease. “It’s only a very few cases that reach this life-threatening disease because most of the healthy people will be fine,” Le Roch said.

“If you feel sick or weak one to six weeks after the bite of the tick, you definitely have to consult your health provider, and let them know you’ve been walking in the wild and you may have either Lyme or babesiosis,” Le Roch said.

This article has been updated to offer further clarity on the spread of babesiosis in the U.S.

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2023, 01:41:02 pm »

ticks are no joke
Hubby almost passed out and i had to help him into the house..
we called the VA (who have always been greatly helpful)
talked to a PA  and a prescription called into our pharmacy
i went and picked it up..within 24 hours we could see a big difference
he is scheduled for a blood test to make sure they got it
he did not have a target ..but he had dug the tick out the week before

don't mess around if you are bitten

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/climate-change-ticks_n_64c395fae4b03ad2b897dca5

Cases Of Tick-borne Illnesses Are On The Rise. Experts Think Climate Change Is To Blame.
The potentially deadly diseases are spreading into new regions due in large part, say scientists, to global warming.
ZOYA TEIRSTEIN, Grist
AP logo
Jul 28, 2023, 06:29 AM EDT

very good article at this link

Offline Sgt.Rocknroll

• Gold 343
  • Miss you Zorgon
    • Sgt.Rocknroll
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2023, 03:35:15 am »
ticks are no joke
Hubby almost passed out and i had to help him into the house..
we called the VA (who have always been greatly helpful)
talked to a PA  and a prescription called into our pharmacy
i went and picked it up..within 24 hours we could see a big difference
he is scheduled for a blood test to make sure they got it
he did not have a target ..but he had dug the tick out the week before

don't mess around if you are bitten

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/climate-change-ticks_n_64c395fae4b03ad2b897dca5

Cases Of Tick-borne Illnesses Are On The Rise. Experts Think Climate Change Is To Blame.
The potentially deadly diseases are spreading into new regions due in large part, say scientists, to global warming.
ZOYA TEIRSTEIN, Grist
AP logo
Jul 28, 2023, 06:29 AM EDT

very good article at this link

Sorry for your troubles....But 'experts' say global warming is to blame?....ooooookay.. :o ::)
Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini Tuo da gloriam

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2023, 10:15:59 am »

hey Rock
whatever the cause we all have to accept that there is global warming...it's real
and it is changing how we live
i am a gardener and with age have gone from an acre plus size garden to small spots around the house  i call it edible landscaping
but the weather and the change in the weather  patterns makes it a challenge and yes it is changing and every year the change is more dramatic and more obvious

there is a lot of argument on if we caused it or it is natural 
 it doesn't matter which it is    we have to learn to deal with the reality of it

and i don't care who is saying why the ticks are more numberous or carrying more dieseases 
 i still hate the little suckers

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2023, 08:00:41 pm »
The last time I had a tick was 1978. A nurse at the hospital found it on me when I was in labor. I have days when I think about going up in the hills. Maybe next year. My hubs is going through radiation treatment for oral cancer. It's working, but it's wearing me out. My grandkids have been awesome about helping me. They get him to his treatments when I'm working. Maybe next year I can get up in the hills a bit. With plenty of insect repellent. I hate ticks too. And chiggers. I really hate them.
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline Sgt.Rocknroll

• Gold 343
  • Miss you Zorgon
    • Sgt.Rocknroll
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2023, 05:01:15 am »

hey Rock
whatever the cause we all have to accept that there is global warming...it's real
and it is changing how we live
i am a gardener and with age have gone from an acre plus size garden to small spots around the house  i call it edible landscaping
but the weather and the change in the weather  patterns makes it a challenge and yes it is changing and every year the change is more dramatic and more obvious

there is a lot of argument on if we caused it or it is natural 
 it doesn't matter which it is    we have to learn to deal with the reality of it

and i don't care who is saying why the ticks are more numberous or carrying more dieseases 
 i still hate the little suckers

Well everyone is entitled to their opinions
Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini Tuo da gloriam

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]