collapse

Author Topic: More Jobs Down the Drain Sam's Club Closed 63 Stores today  (Read 2133 times)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
More Jobs Down the Drain Sam's Club Closed 63 Stores today
« on: January 11, 2018, 07:09:53 pm »
Walmart is abruptly closing 63 Sam's Club stores and laying off thousands of workers

Walmart is closing 63 Sam's Club stores across the US, the company told Business Insider on Thursday afternoon, after reports of abrupt store closings began to emerge.

Sam's Club has not said how many employees are losing their jobs. Each Sam's Club warehouse employs about 175 people, meaning more than 11,000 people could be impacted.

In some cases, employees were not told their store had closed before showing up to work on Thursday. Those employees learned their store would be closing when they found the store's doors locked and a notice announcing the closing, Sam's Club workers told Business Insider. At some stores, employees were turned away by police officers.

Ten of the affected stores will be turned into e-commerce distribution centers, and employees of those stores will have the opportunity to reapply for positions at those locations, a Walmart official said.

The remaining stores will stay open for several weeks before closing permanently. All of the affected stores were scrubbed from the Sam's Club website on Thursday morning.

Sam's Club CEO John Furner notified employees of the closures in a company-wide email sent Thursday.

"After a thorough review, it became clear we had built clubs in some locations that impacted other clubs, and where population had not grown as anticipated," Furner said in the email. "We will be closing some clubs, and we notified them today. We'll convert some of them into eCommerce fulfillment centers — to better serve the growing number of members shopping with us online and continue scaling the SamsClub.com business."

Sam's Club membership fees — which cost $45 annually — will be refunded to customers affected by the closings, a Walmart official said.

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

Offline Somamech

• Order of the Mystic Star
  • Gold 337
Re: More Jobs Down the Drain Sam's Club Closed 63 Stores today
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 09:42:29 am »
The worst thing about these closings is that the company mentioned had a choice to make, they could have told these people that they need to find a new way of making a new income and sought gov support for that, instead they chuck them out on the street's.

Doe's CEO John Furner still have a job after making this dumb decision:?

“After a thorough review, it became clear we had built clubs in some locations that impacted other clubs, and where population had not grown as anticipated,”

Honestly how in the frig can a CEO be so dumb to not see plain retail opportunity compared to non-retail opportunity and still be in a position to say such rot?

Game of Mates

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 01:51:47 pm »
Ten of the affected stores will be turned into e-commerce distribution centers

WalMart does not make its' own products; it is essentially a retail fence for what it gets from China.  This is also why America is falling apart economically, because it has been forgotten that agricultural and industrial output are the only real forms of wealth that exist.  The tech industry and the stupid AnCaps who are so fanatical about cryptocurrency can claim whatever they like, but the simple fact is that the entire reason why China is an emerging great power, is because they have put their money into physical assets.

If America wants to regain its' former economic position, then the government needs to focus on civil engineering and industrial infrastructure, which were what earned the country its' initial wealth in the first place.  Silicon Valley needs to die.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline Gigas

• Gold 90
  • This can't be real
    • An obscure place from my mind
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 12:14:07 pm »
I saw this flashed on the local news and was shocked. We have 1 Sam's in Green Bay and 1 down in Appleton. Thankfully neither will be closed. They are closing stores in Milwaukee and Madison.

Both cities, Milwaukee and Madison, are in an economic blight with hood rats destroying the big box retail in certain locations.
Everyone loves me, till they're sick of me

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 12:58:13 pm »
Yep, these things happen..businesses take risks, to grow, to profit, to benefit the whole.

*SATIRE ALERT*

Businesses always hire workers who are oblivious to the fact that they are working somewhere which may not succeed..and may eventually terminate their contract or agreement without notice ahead of time.

NOT..now back to reality...

So..if you work for a corporate entity so large as Sams, you should know well and good this can occur anytime, and often without warning.

Here is another bolster for being self employed or working for smaller companies where you might have a chance to be in on decisions that affect your future.

That would be like me keeping a warehouse open for materials, when a warehouse is close by in which I stock the same materials..why have two, when employees can drive a short distance more or less to pickup what they need for jobs?

What liberals expect is for everyone to be employed by someone, regardless of situation, and for that someone to be held to keeping those employees whether it means losing money or not. It means more taxes flowing into the government coffers, for liberal politicians to finance their often ridiculous virtue signalling ideas and projects.

Unreasonable.

And, those same liberals themselves, in their own businesses often employ shady hiring practices and even shadier HR departments to filter and wash out those who dont fit in with their personal or political agendas, and thats just wrong.

See: Google, Twitter, and every single leftist media outlet ever...

If a person or entity performs and creates profit or a break even situation, then its their owner/employer's duty to create job perpetuance, and if not, its also their duty to remove the losing/ineffective entity or person from the equation.

Simple business 101..seems most Trump haters dont get it, and most who understand business at any level do.

Now its Sams fault for building stores in places where food stamps and crime are the norm, so they need to do better demographic research, and stop riding on the poor needing shitt-y cheap chinese products, to live at a level above their means...build stores where people have income, jobs and safe neighborhoods...dont build it in hopes it will clean up an area, because it never works.

I agree wholeheartedly with Petrus that infrastrucutre is paramount to employ thousands, if not millions these days...and returning to buying things that last not cheap crap will be the savior, as we use our dollars to get that point across.

But progress it seems must wait, so whiny snowflakes, corrupt 3 letter law enforcement entities, and libtard news outlets must ride the fake Russia train to derail Trump however they can, while their nation rots all around them...shame on them.

Cheers?
Le

Hermetically sealed, for your protection

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 02:45:25 am »
But progress it seems must wait, so whiny snowflakes, corrupt 3 letter law enforcement entities, and libtard news outlets must ride the fake Russia train to derail Trump however they can, while their nation rots all around them...shame on them.

A Republican President who isn't evil, is like water that isn't wet, as far as I am concerned.  With that said, I haven't seen evidence of Trump doing anything worse than patronising Kim Jong Un and expressing the opinion that women should be grabbed by the pussy.  Neither of those things are very nice, but both of them are also speech; they are not, by themselves, cases of practical actions being taken that have potential to physically injure anyone.  The recent insistence on offensive speech or literary expression being comparable with physical violence is insane beyond words.

I still live in an environment, however, where if I want to get rid of all the insanity in the world, all I need to do is turn my computer off.  So I don't really give a crap about any of it at this point.  Trump can impersonate Biff Tannen as much as he wants, for all I care; and that raving psychopath Hillary and her hipster glasses wearing, estrogen poisoned legions are likewise free to foam at the mouth about it.  Microaggressions for everyone.

It's frigging pathetic that the Democrats are trying to shut down the government though because Trump apparently wants to do something about illegal immigrants.  I don't particularly like the concentration camps that Turnbull runs in the Northern Territory for the Indonesians who come here; but I also don't think that having the country indiscriminately flooded with more and more people, often from chaotically violent backgrounds is necessarily a great thing, either.  Immigration is a horrible problem with no easy answer; because no matter which path you take, someone somewhere is likely to get screwed in the process.  Calling illegals "Dreamers," though is one of the most blatant acts of deliberately emotionally manipulative, psychopathic dishonesty that I've seen in a long time.  No one's trying to create a wedge issue here; oh no!

I've had to give up caring about the Divided States of Mordor continuing to circle the toilet bowl at this point, however; because it's going to happen regardless, and already has been for more than 25 years.  If Americans didn't think their country was about to collapse, they'd get bored.
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline starwarp2000

• Ollam Fodhla
  • Pegasus Alternate Energy Team
  • Gold 151
  • Omnes Tuum Bases
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 07:48:10 am »
A Republican President who isn't evil, is like water that isn't wet, as far as I am concerned.
That said, you are overlooking Obama's Huge pile of sins and criminality, so maybe it's not just Republican, it's more of a Politician Problem (regardless of label).
Division is the spatula of those who seek to separate truth from reason.

With that said, I haven't seen evidence of Trump doing anything worse than patronising Kim Jong Un and expressing the opinion that women should be grabbed by the pussy.
He is the only President that has stood up to Kim Jong Un, and he said, "They let you grab them on the pussy".
The Liberal Media likes to twist everything....... truth is not part of modern journalism. Notice how the media changed what Trump really said to something that was to elicit a disgust response.

I still live in an environment, however, where if I want to get rid of all the insanity in the world, all I need to do is turn my computer off.
Turn your TV off too....... All Australian Networks run UNEDITED/UNCONFIRMED stories from all US and British Networks. There is no integrity there either.

So I don't really give a crap about any of it at this point.  Trump can impersonate Biff Tannen as much as he wants, for all I care; and that raving psychopath Hillary and her hipster glasses wearing, estrogen poisoned legions are likewise free to foam at the mouth about it.  Microaggressions for everyone.
Sit back and view it as a circus  :)

Calling illegals "Dreamers," though is one of the most blatant acts of deliberately emotionally manipulative, psychopathic dishonesty that I've seen in a long time.
It was Obama who called them "Dreamers"! The Act was call the "Dream ACT"

I've had to give up caring about the Divided States of Mordor continuing to circle the toilet bowl at this point, however; because it's going to happen regardless, and already has been for more than 25 years.  If Americans didn't think their country was about to collapse, they'd get bored.

And because Australia drinks the toilet water unsterilised from US and UK, we are about to follow them.
Sit down before fact like a small child, and be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature lead, or you will learn nothing. —T. H. Huxley

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 10:13:18 pm »
That said, you are overlooking Obama's Huge pile of sins and criminality, so maybe it's not just Republican, it's more of a Politician Problem (regardless of label).

I've never once claimed that Barry wasn't a psychopath.  In my mind, the single difference between the Democrats and Republicans, is that the Democrats are actually less honest.  I've never seen a Republican President who didn't transparently make Darth Vader look like a choirboy; with them you know exactly what you are going to get.  With the Democrats, however, you get huge smiles and speeches which make old women hug each other and cry in public, and drone killings and assassinations in private.

He is the only President that has stood up to Kim Jong Un

Kim Jong Un does not need an American President to "stand up to him," unless we want to live under the assumption that America is the only country for which the concept of national sovereignty means anything at all.  I also do not accept any humanitarian argument in support of American foreign intervention, anywhere, at any time, or in any context.  One reason for that is the fact that the American government treats its' own domestic population as badly as it likes, and the second reason is because there has never been, and will never be an American foreign intervention which did not occur exclusively for the sake of corporate profit.  The humanitarian argument is, without exception, a lie; and is used to gain support for said interventions from the wilfully naive.

Aside from the usual reasons relating to the country being a war economy, the only reason why anyone in America is making any noise about North Korea at all, is exclusively because it is one of the two countries left without a Rothschild central bank, and that is something which the proverbial cabal are unwilling to tolerate.  No one in the senior American government truly gives a damn about non-American human life, and I will not accept any claim to the contrary.

The Liberal Media likes to twist everything....... truth is not part of modern journalism. Notice how the media changed what Trump really said to something that was to elicit a disgust response.

I'm aware that the only thing that the SJW demographic cares about, is having everyone possible under their control.  Their obsession with political correctness serves two purposes; giving them a pretense of the moral high ground, and being used as an indication (depending on whether or not someone makes the correct statements) of a given individual being under their control.  Real human rights or equality has absolutely nothing to do with it.  The contemporary Left is nothing more than its' own brand of psychopathy; and as said previously, if there is any reason why I consider the Right preferable, it is because in at least some cases, they are less deceptive.

Turn your TV off too....... All Australian Networks run UNEDITED/UNCONFIRMED stories from all US and British Networks. There is no integrity there either.

I haven't regularly watched television since probably 2003.
        — Abbie Hoffman

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56