collapse

Author Topic: CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT: REPEAL CITIZENS UNITED  (Read 6677 times)

Offline COSMO

• Gold 157
CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT: REPEAL CITIZENS UNITED
« on: August 11, 2012, 02:28:49 pm »
Citizens United allows unlimited corporate spending to influence our political system. 

Let's take our political system back from special interests!     

CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT:
Let actual, human citizens decide our elections

As Americans who believe in democracy, reject the corruptive influence of special interests, and are capable of telling the difference between a person and a corporation, we support putting the Citizens United decision in the Dumpster of Bad Ideas where it belongs by means of a constitutional amendment — and returning elective power to the actual, human citizens of the United States of America.

SIGNED,

Al Franken

Sherrod Brown

Sign the petition:

http://www.sherrodbrown.com/petition/overturn-citizens-united-a2/

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 02:34:45 pm by COSMO »
And you may ask yourself
Well...How did I get here?

Offline COSMO

• Gold 157
Re: CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT: REPEAL CITIZENS UNITED
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 04:59:56 pm »
Citizens United allows unlimited corporate spending to influence our political system. 

Let's take our political system back from special interests!     

CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT:
Let actual, human citizens decide our elections

As Americans who believe in democracy, reject the corruptive influence of special interests, and are capable of telling the difference between a person and a corporation, we support putting the Citizens United decision in the Dumpster of Bad Ideas where it belongs by means of a constitutional amendment — and returning elective power to the actual, human citizens of the United States of America.

SIGNED,

Al Franken

Sherrod Brown

Sign the petition:

Let's stop the sale of our election process via Super PACs! 

Please pass this on to friends and family. 

As of August 11, 2012, 727 groups organized as Super PACs have reported total receipts of $319,011,891 and total independent expenditures of $185,120,004 in the 2012 cycle.

http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/superpacs.php

Billionaire Oil Baron Who Donated $985K To Romney’s Super PAC Is Also His Top Energy Adviser   :o :o :o

http://buyingourfuture.com/billionaire-oil-baron-who-donated-985k-to-romneys-super-pac-is-also-his-energy-adviser/
And you may ask yourself

Offline rdunk

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 389
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 06:50:44 pm »
I have zero respect for Al Franken, but......there is a need to make improvements. First off, it is idiotically stupid to allow hundreds of millions of dollars to be spent on a Presidential campaign. There should be a way to make this happen, within extreme budget limitations. And those limitations should include "no outside money" of any kind. The government would provide a relatively small amount to those running, and they use ONLY that money to communicate to the voters just who they are.

What is commonplace now, is a continuing OK Corral advertising word fight, and planes flying, and buses going, and people spending all kinds of money to entice voters, and "recompense" is expected and is required!!!

Yes, super-pacs should be a thing of the past, however the best way to make that happen.  A total Congressional vigorous spending limit on the campaign might could make that happen.

The way it is done now is just stupid, stupid, stupid! Probably way way over a billion dollars of just campaign expenditures, to elect a president.

JMCSO - - Just my calmly stated opinion!  ;)

Offline COSMO

• Gold 157
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 07:02:26 pm »
Yeah, I'm not so hot on Franken either, but we have to get this super pac money out of the election process.  If our political system is for sale, we the people are totally screwed!  A constitutional amendment is needed.
And you may ask yourself

Offline rdunk

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 389
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 07:37:28 pm »
Yeah Cosmo, I agree 100%, something must be done - whatever it takes to "legally" make it happen.

Another thing I would like to see, is an almost automatic removal from office of any elected federal office holder who is found to having lied during campaigning, or after taking office, if elected. If we cannot trust them, then they do not deserve to be in office.

That would include any Federal official who, in office, refuses to uphold the specifics of Constitution of the United States, and/or refuses to uphold all of the written laws of the United States. If this were in place, the current POTUS would already be out of office! Even Joe Biden would make a better President for this country, than Obama. I believe Biden would at least uphold the laws of the land.

I can't understand why impeachment proceedings have not been initiated, because of the actions of the current President!!!

He personally announced he was stopping the enforcement of the immigration laws of the United States. We the people are absolutely nuts, if we let any president get away with anything like that. Just crazy to sit on our hands, and not impeach this guy! Makes no difference if it is an election year! He should be disqualified from running on the basis of his illegal actions!!!

He, our President, is disobeying the Laws of our country, and we are letting him get away with it. With that kind of non-action on our part, we should expect his next move to be "as did Chavez"!

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 08:01:53 pm »
ask yourself,where does this money go.mostly to broadcasters.these broadcasters can donate to the pac who then spends on the commercial.the broadcasters decide the election.look how the big networks shunned ron paul.you know all those addcouncil commercials in the middle of the night.free gov welfare for the networks.i started a thread on ats during occupy called occupy the media.that thread was butchered,quick.tptb dont want us to know this.the mass media is the key.if a person hijacked the network satellites.he could rule the country.
ive never been much for rules.
being me has its priviledges.

Dumbledore

Offline rdunk

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 389
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 08:27:08 pm »
Yes robomont, you are probably right about that too.

One more thing, since you brought the media up - - free-speech or not, all media/media personnel should be legally liable for publishing/presenting "facts", which are just not true. Any untruth presented under their broadcast ownership, should be clear grounds for legal recourse, with strong financial/imprisonment circumstances.

If this were the case, don't we know Journalists would take a lot more time to ensure they had the real facts, before putting out a "story"!

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 10:19:01 pm »
Aw come on, you guys dont like Stuart?
And his book, Rush Limbaug is a big fat idiot?

Biting commentary from Stuart there!LOL!

Signed and sealed, Cosmo...:-)
Le
Hermetically sealed, for your protection

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 12:13:44 am »
in my mind omission of the facts or denial are just as damaging.example.man made climate change has the sheep to believe in global warning,but cant a man use haarp to change the climate.like jared loughner said.its in the words.or when ron paul said he was suspending campaigning.the media twisted it to he suspended his campaign.my mom would have voted for him but sbe thought he bowed out.thats why any change will have to come from the media first.which is controlled by the board of governors.whoever they are.what to do?bankrupt them by telling the advertisers i wont buy your products if you advertise with "broadcaster x".no otherway to fight safely.eventually they will all be state run.like they arent already.

Dumbledore

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 12:33:31 am »
.example.man made climate change has the sheep to believe in global warning

Global warming is real..

what is not real is that mankind is causing it :D

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 05:53:27 am »
at first i misread your quote zorgon.in my my mind i screamed noooo.i will agree its freekin hot.i grow veggies using only rain for water.i havent had a good garden in five years and the level of mammal varmits is very low.mother nature is taking a beating.i lost half my big oaks last year.really pissed at my country right now.haarp needs to end if they cant be responsible with it.i wonder if the defense dept will pay me for my trees,and high ac bill.

Dumbledore

Offline COSMO

• Gold 157
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 06:25:52 am »
I am not supporting one political party over another, I just want to see special interests out of the election process!  If that is accomplished then we need to get the lobbyists out of Washington too!  Our government is supposed to do the will of WE THE PEOPLE!  Not just the billionaires. 

Karl Rove was White House Deputy Chief of Staff under G. W. Bush.  This is an example of the kind of money influencing our political process and much of the funding of Rove's super pac comes from the Koch brother, oil billionaires.  Do we really want the oil billionaires buying the election? 

Super PAC co-founded by Karl Rove spending $860K on ad to defend Mitt Romney in Michigan

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/07/super_pac_co-founded_by_karl_r.html

Republican super PACs and other outside groups shaped by a loose network of prominent conservatives – including Karl Rove, the Koch brothers and Tom Donohue of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce – plan to spend roughly $1 billion on November’s elections for the White House and control of Congress, according to officials familiar with the groups’ internal operations.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/76849.html#ixzz23L08pWWa

To sign the petition:

And you may ask yourself

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 06:29:29 am »

My addition to this topic is -

You might consider demanding that our voting system be returned to paper ballots with a verifiable paper trail that can be re- checked after an election.

You know, just like the one we used to have a short time ago.

This new electronic one in use is VERY easily hacked and has been done so by university professors in front of officials.

They were told don't worry we will fix that 'glitch'.

By allowing electronic voting, you are passively giving consent for the election process to be gone, and someone else making your choices for you.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 06:31:30 am by A51Watcher »

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 09:28:55 am »
A51 said...
My addition to this topic is -

You might consider demanding that our voting system be returned to paper ballots with a verifiable paper trail that can be re- checked after an election.

You know, just like the one we used to have a short time ago.

Totally agree, A51, and also, hows about a popular vote, instead of a flawed delgate process with loopholes aplenty?

This new electronic one in use is VERY easily hacked and has been done so by university professors in front of officials.

They were told don't worry we will fix that 'glitch'.

Yeah, that glitch was George W. Bush.

By allowing electronic voting, you are passively giving consent for the election process to be gone, and someone else making your choices for you.

Indeed, and soon to come, every decision made for you by the shady underground, gubmint within a gubmint.

Wise words in short A51, isnt it sad that the problems within our voting system can be summed up in one set of quotes?

Good Grief, as Thor would say!

Cheers, and here comes the RNC to my town...argh! Im putting the awnings down and hding in my bathtub!
Dave

Hermetically sealed, for your protection

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 12:50:55 pm »
A51 said...
Totally agree, A51, and also, hows about a popular vote, instead of a flawed delgate process with loopholes aplenty?

Wise words in short A51, isnt it sad that the problems within our voting system can be summed up in one set of quotes?

Good Grief, as Thor would say!

Dave
Greetings:

You rang?

We agree with both y'all... :o    8)

BTW, our friend is safe at home... 8)

Peace Love Light

tfw   

Liberty & Equality or Revolution
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter