collapse

Author Topic: AI Robots more dangerous than Nukes?  (Read 20382 times)

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
Re: AI Robots more dangerous than Nukes?
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2017, 05:33:30 pm »
Why should they put up a fight? It's something they like, getting information and giving information to other people. How can they see any wrong in that? Isn't it the same thing as talking to other people? What's the difference?

The difference is - because of their addiction they cause severe injuries and death every day by staring at it while driving.

Maybe you're not up on current events pal.

Latest statistics released show that distracted driving on cell phones is now the #1 cause of all traffic accidents.

My own state and many others have tried upping the fines for doing so in the last several years to no avail.

They have just passed a new law outlawing use of any mobile device while driving. Period.

2nd offense fine doubles and 3rd offense is jail time.

Being on the road all day every day allows me to see how pervasive it is. About 40% of traffic on the road is doing this no matter what road. This epidemic of sickness is nation wide.

You think these cell phone addicts suddenly wake up and put them down while driving? Not a chance.

That's why these Borg implants are the new plague among us.

F**k these selfish aholes and their selfish actions.

Don't give me this sharing information B.S.  >:(

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:12:52 am by A51Watcher »

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2017, 05:55:03 am »
The difference is - because of their addiction they cause severe injuries and death every day by staring at it while driving.
You were talking about "embracing the technology", so I looked at it from the point of view of someone that starts using it, not from the point of view of being addicted to it.

That's why I said that they see nothing wrong with it, like the person that drinks their first glass of wine sees nothing wrong with it.

Like with all addictions, the problem appears only when it becomes an addiction, not when people embrace whatever becomes an addiction latter.

Maybe you're not up on current events pal.
I don't need your condescending tone or to be up on current events and/or statistics of something that was not what I answering to, as you were talking about "embracing the technology without putting a fight".

Do you think anyone looks at the statistics of what other people do with something they are thinking about buying? Do people think "many people are killed on car crashes, so it's better for me not to buy one"? Do people think "many people are killed by legal guns, so it's better for me not to buy one"? Why should people think "many people have car accidents while using their smart phones, it's better not to buy one"?

As many people like to say about guns, it's not guns that kill people, people kill people, and the same can be said about this, it's not the smart phones technology that kills people, it's people misusing the smart phones that kill people.

They have just passed a new law outlawing use of any mobile device while driving. Period.
In Portugal people can only use a phone while driving if they are using a hands free set, anyone handling a phone (or any other device) is fined.

You think these cell phone addicts suddenly wake up and put them down while driving? Not a chance.
No, I don't think they do, but you didn't ask that before, did you?

Don't give me this sharing information B.S.  >:(
It's only B.S. for people that do not understand it, either by ignorance or by not even thinking about it. Humans do like to share information (what are we doing here?), if they have a problem in the way they do it it's a different thing, an addiction is a mental problem that should be solved, but that's not a technology problem, it's an individual problem that should be addressed in a case by case basis.

PS: do you use a smart phone?

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2017, 08:39:08 am »

Current events pal is a line from the aliens movie, indicating how bad the situation is.

My phone stays on the kitchen counter right where the answering machine used to be.

I am not addicted to it and have no urge to check it incessantly.

And I would certainly never use it while driving.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:41:01 am by A51Watcher »

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2017, 08:34:51 pm »
Now the reason I sound so passionate about the distracted driving issue is I have been personally affected by it twice in that last 3 years.

While sitting at a stop light I was rear ended by a 'distracted' driver going at freeway speeds. It totaled my car and several other cars in front of me also waiting at the light.

It took two years of intensive rehab to regain normal motion and get pain levels to tolerable levels.

Then 9 months ago I was again rear ended while waiting at a stop light by yet another 'distracted' driver. This one was so shocked by the abrupt return to reality he decided to pull a hit and run.

This is like people willingly putting blindfolds on while driving.

Remember last year when Zorgon posted all those photos of cell phone zombies like at a restaurant all crowded around a table and they were all staring at their phones?

I was not amused.

There is currently a commercial on tv where the mom presses hold on her phone and it pauses the wifi connection in the house so as to revive all the zombies around the dinner table.

Hah hah, so funny.

I find it sad and terrifying that humans are so easily captured and addicted by technology like this.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:38:47 pm by A51Watcher »

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2017, 08:14:59 am »
I understand your reasons, but people have been distracted by many things in the past.

If it was a guy causing the accident because he was distracted by a good looking woman would you be against good looking women?

I don't think the problem is in the technology, the problem is that people are getting less and less worried about what happens around them, and smart phones only made that worse, but it was something we could already see in people listening to their iPods, Discmans or Walkmans.

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2017, 03:25:29 pm »
Just need a "COMMON SENSE APP" that will navigate for you while you remain distracted. This way you can continue to stare at the screen while you drive, work, cross the street, go down stairs. Heck it could go one step further with the deluxe app that warns you not to take the phone into the bath tub plugged in. It could also remind you to eat, sleep and go to the washroom, and be programmable to remind you of other important reality events that might need happen like interacting with your family.  :P

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2017, 06:16:29 am »
I am not addicted to it and have no urge to check it incessantly.

I've become somewhat addicted to having replies or getting posts upvoted on Reddit, I will admit.  It's not so much for the pure dopamine hit, as much as the fact that the incessant collectivist brainwashing has to some extent successfully convinced me at this point, that I am literally not spiritually permitted to exist alone or outside of a group.  I thus use Reddit as a source of justification.  If I have some sort of group interaction via Reddit or forums like this one, then I can tell myself I am doing what I am allegedly supposed to, even though for the most part I really can't stand contemporary humanity, and am only truly at peace when in solitude.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
  • Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    • PEGASUS RESEARCH CONSORTIUM
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2017, 01:14:57 am »
The problem I have with videos like that is that they too easily scripted, and there's no way of knowing how the AI would react in a real life situation.

Do you think it worth the risk?

The New SpotMini:

What's new, Atlas?

How were the robots 20 years ago?

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2017, 04:33:04 am »
Do you think it worth the risk?
It's not a question of being worth the risk, as this is not something that can be stopped, it's a question of things being presented as better than they really are, to impress people and, most likely, find more funding.

How were the robots 20 years ago?
In terms of AI, not that different, what has changed is the technology that makes them move and keeps them on their feet. In that last video, what makes the robot work like that is the reduction in weight of the robot, the better actuators (motors, relays, hydraulic systems or whatever) and reaction time (probably from the processors), nothing of what it does is really an advance in AI.

You have much more AI on a self driving car (that are really robots) than on a robot like these.

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2017, 07:48:01 am »
It's not a question of being worth the risk, as this is not something that can be stopped,

Sure, but it can be regulated asap. By the time people go reactive on AI laws, it may be too late.

it's a question of things being presented as better than they really are, to impress people and, most likely, find more funding.

I think i see what you mean, but this kind of behavior happens every time a new technology is being worked on right?

The real problem is not the ones looking for funding, at this stage I suppose the guys on cutting edge AI have all the funds they need.

When Elon says we need be proactive regulating AI, it seems to me that he is really afraid about the pottential it has to get out of control in a near future. He is not trying present us a product, he is actually warning that the product may be our doom (and gloom :P)

Do you agree with Putin when he says that the country who dominates AI first will rule the world?

In terms of AI, not that different, what has changed is the technology that makes them move and keeps them on their feet. In that last video, what makes the robot work like that is the reduction in weight of the robot, the better actuators (motors, relays, hydraulic systems or whatever) and reaction time (probably from the processors), nothing of what it does is really an advance in AI.

I know, i was trying to make a point on how fast the technology changes and I dont really know if when you say AI not changed much in the last 20 years you are accounting the ones you not exposed to, the cutting edge ones, the ones behind millitary "doors" or Elon Musk "kinda people" labs.

You have much more AI on a self driving car (that are really robots) than on a robot like these.

Not yet,i mean, those are probably manually driven, but they are the shells, the avatars for the incoming AI and that really put things on perspective, at least for me.

My oppinion is that we are living in the times of the fourth industrial revolution, the AI along with robotics will change everything and I would be very conservative in, for example, have a child to live in this "new world". In fact i think it would be really mean as i foresee a very dystopian reality coming.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:54:18 am by RUSSO »
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2017, 09:16:58 am »
When Elon says we need be proactive regulating AI, it seems to me that he is really afraid about the pottential it has to get out of control in a near future. He is not trying present us a product, he is actually warning that the product may be our doom (and gloom :P)
Does he have any thing connected to AI? Maybe he does not and thinks he was late to the AI party and just wants to regulate it because it's not his. :)

Do you agree with Putin when he says that the country who dominates AI first will rule the world?
Not really, as I don't see it as something that one country can dominate without others dominating it too. Unless there's some great discovery/invention that is kept secret from everybody.

I know, i was trying to make a point on how fast the technology changes and I dont really know if when you say AI not changed much in the last 20 years you are accounting the ones you not exposed to, the cutting edge ones, the ones behind millitary "doors" or Elon Musk "kinda people" labs.
I cannot, obviously, take into account things I don't even know are real or not, I can only take into account what I know, and from what I see very few things have changed in the last 30 years.

Not yet,i mean, those are probably manually driven, but they are the shells, the avatars for the incoming AI and that really put things on perspective, at least for me.
Self driving cars are an evolution of the self driving platforms used in factories, platforms used to transport, for example, parts of cars to be assembled in another area of the factory, and those have been used for many years. The biggest difference is that they were in a controlled environment and could, for example, just follow a coloured line in the ground to know where to go. Adding to that vision and image recognition and interpretation (bot things used in some factories, to recognise different types of products or to detect defected products on an assembly line) makes it possible for the car to recognise its environment an act accordingly, just like the autonomous robots that we can see every year on the Robocup.

As a kind of PS, the countries with more participating teams in Robocup are Germany and Iran, and both have many successes throughout the years.

My oppinion is that we are living in the times of the fourth industrial revolution, the AI along with robotics will change everything and I would be very conservative in, for example, have a child to live in this "new world". In fact i think it would be really mean as i foresee a very dystopian reality coming.
We're not there yet, and I think it will take some time, considering the lack of advances in the last 30 years.

Yes, we have things like "deep learning", but that's just that, "learning", not "thinking", the way the learned data is applied has been the same for a long time.

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2017, 11:03:49 am »
Does he have any thing connected to AI? Maybe he does not and thinks he was late to the AI party and just wants to regulate it because it's not his. :)

I dont think thats the case, but if it was, whats the problem on regulate it? Why the resistance? Even if not for the dangers, monopoly/oligopoly is never good to the masses anyways.

Not really, as I don't see it as something that one country can dominate without others dominating it too. Unless there's some great discovery/invention that is kept secret from everybody.

So, in that way one could say there is no possible way a country develop an atom bomb first? :P

Lets say if the history was a bit different and USA decided back then to control the world by bombing every country that not had the tech? Or if nazy german had the bomb first?

What if dominate AI technology first could allow the owner a checkmate scenario? I would say that, maybe, Putin knows better ArMaP.  ;)

We're not there yet, and I think it will take some time, considering the lack of advances in the last 30 years.

Yes, we have things like "deep learning", but that's just that, "learning", not "thinking", the way the learned data is applied has been the same for a long time.

But are we not in transition to AI based systems in industries, internet, phones, cars, military, etc, for quite some time now?

Personally, I think Kurzweil is correct when he says that we have a moral imperative to keep developing the technology while controlling it for potential dangers.

That's why I think regulation should not be causing that big of a surprise/resistense in anyone.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 11:07:16 am by RUSSO »

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2017, 11:53:27 am »
I dont think thats the case, but if it was, whats the problem on regulate it? Why the resistance? Even if not for the dangers, monopoly/oligopoly is never good to the masses anyways.
No problem and no resistance, I am only wondering why he sounds so worried with that particular technology. :)

So, in that way one could say there is no possible way a country develop an atom bomb first? :P
No, as the situation is not the same, AI is something that is widely used in many countries, with many private and public organisations studying it.

But are we not in transition to AI based systems in industries, internet, phones, cars, military, etc, for quite some time now?
We are, but that things haven't changed much in that topic, many things presented as AI are just based in statistics and good algorithms. It's easy to fool people into thinking something is real AI. :)

Offline biggles

• Gold 47
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2017, 07:10:06 pm »
We're living in the bloody Terminator film.
I know that I know nothing - thanks Capricorn.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2017, 07:19:48 pm »
Not yet. :)

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56