collapse

Author Topic: Help for technical issues on your PC  (Read 114273 times)

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
Re: Help for technical issues on your PC
« Reply #270 on: February 24, 2016, 05:13:21 pm »
Is there a  most common place where most Spyware and Viruses are installed?
Not really, it depends on how your computer gets the infection.

For example, if it gets it from an Internet site, it will probably be on your temporary Internet files (or equivalent), while if you install it along with some other software it will most likely be on that program's folder or on the Windows folder.

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
« Reply #271 on: February 24, 2016, 05:24:28 pm »
Thanks for you tip  E115..

I will have to check how to do that on the system that I use..I had not been aware to do that...but it maybe very valid..

With ref to Spybot...

At one time there did not seem a obvious website one could trust to download Spybot .. as there seemed various websites that had download links on it and No website claiming to be the product owners actual website..

this one as an eg..that is still quite a well known or used website but I dont think its directly classed as Spybots website..

http://download.cnet.com/s/spybot/

But I have found this website and assume its the best one to download from..

http://spybot-search-destroy.en.softonic.com/download

It seems to have changed quite a bit since I had last used it..but in the past it had found things other AV and Malware programs failed to find..

One times on another PC that I had a very bad issue with.. I found a good forum ...geeks to go forum.. where they have experts who do offer to try to help you if they can..and they do take you thru quite a process to fully test and check ones system..

The recommended certain AV programs etc that they suggest you use and run to do their checks..

they have succeeded each time I have used them in correcting my issues , but it does take a few days to go thru usually...as they are only volunteers..who usually want to develop their skills but are referred to by what I believed to be trusted sources..

At that time they suggested that I did not use Spybot...but maybe that was the older version...Id be curious to see if they may now say different..

I may have to try them again if Spybot fails to find any issues..

I had tried two other programs but they found nothing..

I was trying to use systems that were able to check certain parts rather than having to do a full scan..

I have certain folders that contain loads of images or document files that I doubt have any issues and I hate having to use other AV programs that always go thru checking those each time..it takes ages to go thru...

Cheers..

Spybot is an excellent program. I use it in conjunction with Norton and haven't had any issues even browsing sights where the antivirus warning is picking up all sorts of things.

One thing that is recommended though is to turn off your system restore. If a Trojan resides in there the antivirus may not touch it. If it is turned off, no trojan can reside there period.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 05:47:35 pm by astr0144 »

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
« Reply #272 on: February 24, 2016, 05:35:10 pm »
Thanks for your explanation ArMaP..

That is useful to know..and may help how best to target certain areas..if I can select those folders / files to be checked in a scan..

Im not sure if generally you maybe able to delete the Temporary files if sometimes that may also get rid of any threats that may have occurred that way... or if what ever temp file was brought into ones system has then gone on to infect other areas of one system..

ON one AV program I used when I was being advised on a Computer geeks forum... the software that they had me use seemed to find two lots of temporary files...not just the std ones that you can easily select and delete...maybe they were others in the windows folder.. but it got rid of a lot more temp files than I had previously been aware of.

The Program files have also been another area in the past where I have found viruses..or infections...

I will check them next if my computer does not improve if it detects and deletes something in the System 32 folder..

cheers

Not really, it depends on how your computer gets the infection.

For example, if it gets it from an Internet site, it will probably be on your temporary Internet files (or equivalent), while if you install it along with some other software it will most likely be on that program's folder or on the Windows folder.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #273 on: February 25, 2016, 02:20:58 am »
In cases like this I always look at Wikipedia, as they usually have a link for the site of the creator of any program they talk about.

In this case, Spybot's site is here.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 02:22:29 am by ArMaP »

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
« Reply #274 on: February 25, 2016, 07:07:06 am »
Nice find ArMaP ,

I am not sure how the original Spybot website is NOT at least on page 1 of two major search engines..unless I am missing seeing it.

but there are websites that appear to be the original site unless they are partnered with it..

It looks similar to the one that I have downloaded...maybe identical in terms of what it can do..

but it maybe a better bet to delete the other and try the link you gave me to be more certain..

I dont know why but I never wrote the actual websites domain in my browser....ie .....www . spybot.com

I had looked for the link in the search engine to click on..

upon just trying to do so, it does redirect to the site that you gave..

https://www .safer-networking.org/en/home/

Thanks again for you help.

In cases like this I always look at Wikipedia, as they usually have a link for the site of the creator of any program they talk about.

In this case, Spybot's site is here.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 07:12:37 am by astr0144 »

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #275 on: February 25, 2016, 08:40:12 am »
Nice find ArMaP
After 20 years using the Internet I should know some tricks. :)

I am not sure how the original Spybot website is NOT at least on page 1 of two major search engines..unless I am missing seeing it.
I don't know about other search engines, but Google sorts the results by number of pages pointing to that page, so the more popular pages appear first, even if they are not the most relevant.

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #276 on: February 25, 2016, 01:54:25 pm »
Google search works very well :P

I simply typed in  "Spybot Website"

And get THIS as results  #3 says "Welcome to our NEW website" :P

Spybot - Search & Destroy Anti-malware & Antivirus Software
https://www.safer-networking.org/
Spybot – Search & Destroy
Spybot - Search and Destroy Free Malware Removal Tool removes Malware, Spyware, Rootkits, Adware. Now featuring Spybot +Antivirus Virus Scanner.
?Download - ?Home User - ?Start protecting your system ... - ?Overview

Download Spybot - Search & Destroy
https://www.safer-networking.org/dl/
About · Contact · Privacy Policy · Terms & Conditions · Site Map · Legal Info. Connect with us. Facebook; RSS Feed; Twitter; Youtube; Google Plus. © 2000–2016  ...

Welcome to our new website - Spybot
https://www.safer-networking.org/2012/1182/
Feb 21, 2012 - Welcome to the new website of Safer-Networking Ltd., the home of Spybot-Search & Destroy. This new site has been many months in ...

New Spybot Website
https://www.safer-networking.org/.../new-we...
July 30th, 2012. After many months of hard work by our staff and volunteers our new look multilingual website is now live. Over the next few months with the help ...

Spybot – Search & Destroy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spybot_–_Search_%26_Destroy
Wikipedia
Spybot – Search & Destroy (S&D) is a spyware and adware removal ... Instructions are available on the website to enable users to design their own skins.
Developer(s)?: ?Safer-Networking Ltd   License?: ?Proprietary
Stable release?: ?2.4 / July 1, 2014   Operating system?: ?Microsoft Windows?, ...

Spybot - Search & Destroy Portable - Free download and ...
download.cnet.com/Spybot.../3000-18514_4-75331484....
Download.com
 Rating: 4 - ?19 reviews - ?Windows
Feb 15, 2016 - Spybot - Search & Destroy Portable is a free security program that scans for ... Editors' Note: Clicking on the Download Now (Visit Site) button  ...

::)

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
« Reply #277 on: February 25, 2016, 02:32:10 pm »
Hi "Z",

I am Guilty !   :-[  :)

You make valid comments..

I  had wrote in Spybot Free (download) in the search engine box.

Looking again now in hindsight.. the website is on the top position on page one..

The Reason that I did not click on it however... was because when I looked at the wording.. it had the URL wrote in it..and it did not say Spybot in the url..

where as some others that were listed below  did have spybot wrote in the url..

such as for eg

http://spybot -search-destroy .en.softonic.com/download

I know many a time I do searches for specific words or related websites and find other websites in the top 5 places that are nothing to do with the specific thing that I am searching for...

I didn't expect Spybot to have a website to have a wording wrote as Safer- networking   or a URL wrote as..

https://www .safer-networking.org/

I expected it to have the name Spybot wrote in it somewhere..

even if Spybot . com had been taken..

Most companies if they can usually try to include its main name (or product / service brand name ) in the URL...and spybot has been going some years so.. I would had thought it could have obtained a suitable url with Spybot wrote in it somewhere..

Lastly.. even if I had clicked on the correct URL... I still would not have known it was the right website..unless I was correctly informed...as there can be so many similar  copy like type websites.    :P

http://Google search works very well :P

I simply typed in  "Spybot Website"

And get THIS as results  #3 says "Welcome to our NEW website" :P
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 04:21:01 pm by astr0144 »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #278 on: February 25, 2016, 04:06:48 pm »
The top positions on the google search are usually paid ads  (but they have a yellow 'ad' box beside it  Sometimes these ads will disguise themselves as the real company

Search "basketball shoes" and you will see what I mean as an example

Personally I prefer IObit Malware and IObit Advanced Windows Care  both free  I also use their IObit Uninstall to really clean old programs
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 04:08:21 pm by zorgon »

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #279 on: February 25, 2016, 04:09:15 pm »
Safer Networking is the proper site...here is a direct link to the free download mirrors.

https://www.safer-networking.org/mirrors/

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
« Reply #280 on: February 25, 2016, 04:38:12 pm »
Thanks for confirming the Free download E113.
I can now see that listed in 3rd position on Google.

I wonder if the other versions that are listed are the same product..when they make out that they are SPYBOT.. ?

or if the Spybot program from the link you wrote is totally original ? and maybe definitely better / more  trustworthy..

E113
Safer Networking is the proper site...here is a direct link to the free download mirrors

Yes , that was another reason that I didnt also click on the link was because often the top positions on the Search engines are paid ads.. and I again would had thought that Spybot  would not need to pay to place their ads if they are the original businesses website..

BUT I know that google advertising can be dominated by those who understand whats known as search engine optimization.. (SEO )where one can can ones website highly ranked in the top positions if they know what to do..

The top positions on the google search are usually paid ads  (but they have a yellow 'ad' box beside it  Sometimes these ads will disguise themselves as the real company

I had not been aware of  IObit Malware...

I will try it..

Last Night I ran the Spybot program (that I thought was the right one)... and just ran it by using an option to select specific folders..
I selected one in Windows called "System 32"

It came up with info telling me it was going to check about 6000 files..

this folder is just a very small part of my whole system and the search took several hours....

unfortunately It did not find anything..

Yet as I mentioned in a prior post in this thread.. I can scan my whole system with other programs in the same time..

so I don't really understand why it took so long..
and I dont think it was because my system was running too poorly or slow...as It had actually speeded up from the day before..
where I had ran it.. and It seemed to react to something...(maybe found a problem) but the computer just froze up totally..

I had to restart it ...and it then seemed to run better... but it never confirmed that it had found and deleted any spyware..

Its running better than it was but Its still not running any where near as well as it should be..

Zorgon

Search "basketball shoes" and you will see what I mean as an example

Personally I prefer IObit Malware and IObit Advanced Windows Care  both free  I also use their IObit Uninstall to really clean old programs

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 04:45:44 pm by astr0144 »

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #281 on: February 25, 2016, 04:58:15 pm »
Fragmented hard drive can make your system slow...so can heat issues and power supply issues. Have you tried defragmenting?

This is what a healthy hard drive looks like:

This is what installing multiple toolbars and 2 antivirus programs running simultaneously while leaving your system low on RAM can do:

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2016, 05:55:38 pm »
I have defragmented one of my 2 computers  that I have or had in the  last 3 years....but I am not certain if it was the one I am using..

(I had a stressful things occur during that time that distracted me in that time..that effected my memory to recall such details unfortunately)

but it may well be in need of another defrag.. It is worth considering..

As for running more than one AV or malware program..

I have not seen that demonstrated in the way you have shown before..

I did delete other such programs prior to trying the Spybot one..
but I believe that their maybe also one within Windows...
But its not one that I downloaded otherwise if it is or had been running..

As far as I had been aware.. I ran the AV and Malware / spyware programs that I tried recently all separately..

Fragmented hard drive can make your system slow...so can heat issues and power supply issues. Have you tried defragmenting?

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #283 on: February 25, 2016, 08:24:08 pm »
I would guess you need a serious defragmenting. In order to maintain a healthy drive you should defragment your computer at LEAST once a month. It only takes a few fragmented files to adversely affect your entire system.

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
« Reply #284 on: February 26, 2016, 01:48:33 am »
Thanks for the further advice E113..

I note what you say and I will apply what you said...

Cheers...

I would guess you need a serious defragmenting. In order to maintain a healthy drive you should defragment your computer at LEAST once a month. It only takes a few fragmented files to adversely affect your entire system.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter