collapse

Author Topic: haluska  (Read 5583 times)

sky otter

haluska
« on: August 10, 2012, 04:40:30 pm »
 ;D

only being irish~german i have adapted the true polish recipe to suit.. ;D

sausage..              summer or sweet...not hot sausage
                             .links cut into piecs or loose..whatever you prefer
noodles...              any type cooked well but not overdone
cabbage..              cut in half and then sliced to the size of the noodles
caraway seeds...    to prevent excessive gas (always add when cooking cabbage)
butter/ margaine... your choice

in my case i use the largest skillet i have and the amounts i use can be done in whatever amounts suit your attempts..

i use a stick of good butter  melted in the skillet

add at least a pound of sausage.. i prefer to cut the  larger links into one inch pieces

when sausage is cooked start adding the cabbage

i add the  cut cabbage in layers and put a cover on it to sweat it down
this takes several times for me as i use a whole head

caraway seeds, pepper and salt added to each layer of cabbage... go easy it adds up fast

when cabbage is almost all done
i add the noodles..ususally a whole box of whatever..or a 12 oz. bag of egg noodles
we prefer the egg noodles

depending on how it looks i can add more butter here or not...

mix well

heat thur

pig out....serve with really good bread and beverage of choice

leftovers go to the frig and are fabulous reheated..

yum

en~joy
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:49:30 pm by sky otter »

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
Re: haluska
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 05:24:02 pm »
That'going on next weeks menu.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 05:47:28 pm »
I made haluska for supper last night. It was good.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

deuem

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 12:45:12 am »
Sky, there you go again, making ole Deuems mouth water! I get so hungry reading your posts.

Can you ship one to go! lol Ahh a stick of butter. A rare item here. You have to eat toast plain or with jelly.

I love to fry eggs in real butter, yum! Forgot what it tastes like now!

By the way, all dairy items are rare because I see no moo cows anywhere. No milk, no butter, no ice cream, no cream, no fun!

Any dairy items I buy are shipped in from New Zealand. They do have good dairy items there. But expensive to ship that far.

Hungry Deuem....

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 02:52:24 am »
Any dairy items I buy are shipped in from New Zealand. They do have good dairy items there. But expensive to ship that far.

Cows are on the way :P

China Grows Its Dairy Farms With a Global Cattle Drive

Calves at China Modern Dairy's 20,000-head farm in Feidong, Anhui province, were bred from highly productive foreign cows.

FEIDONG, China—In one of the largest transoceanic cattle drives in history, as many as 100,000 heifers from Uruguay, Australia and New Zealand will board multistory cattle-carrying ships this year—bound for China.

The global roundup is a key part of China's effort to satisfy growing domestic demand for milk and remake its dairies after a deadly tainted-milk scandal in 2008 devastated production and caused distrustful consumers to turn to imported milk.

China's dairy industry has a long way to go: Chinese cows are only half as productive as their American cousins. But just as it built up dominance in electronics, textile and toy manufacturing, the Chinese government has set its sights on becoming a dominant milk producer. It has set production goals, created tax and other financial incentives for big dairy producers and encouraged foreign investors to come in with capital and technology. And it is buying up high-producing foreign cows by the boatload.

Since 2009, China has become the world's most important buyer of dairy cows, driving up prices for calves world-wide and putting pressure on other markets such as alfalfa and bull semen. China has imported nearly 250,000 live heifers, or cows that haven't yet reproduced, since 2009, according to data tracker Global Trade Information Services. Last year it spent more than $250 million on 100,000 foreign heifers, about 25 ships worth.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303863404577281302732745814.html

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 05:40:26 am »
I have cows, goats, sheep and chickens in my neiighborhood.  Livestock are grrandfathered in for people who owned their property before the zoning changes were made.  The roosters up the street go off at all hours of the day and night. 

We actually get an interesting mix of sounds around here.  F16s from Buckley, firing range at Buckley, various livestock noises, fire engines from the station a few blocks east, and football games from the stadium at Hinkley High school.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

sky otter

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 06:23:28 am »

Shasta..glad you liked it...it's one of my favorites
do you do tuna noodle casserole?

you must live in a cool place..hubby wants chickens.. i say go for it..but don't count om me getting up early to feed them..he says they don't need to be fed at first light and anyway you can do it with a timer
hahahahahahah

deuem.. no ice cream..big boo hoo on that one.. i would go nutzo.. i was really ticked when i read the front of my favorit one bryers  which used to advertise only three incredients.. they now call it frozen dairy dessert and not ice cream
...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

and leave it to zorg to know about cows in china... ;D

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 06:37:05 am »
Cows are on the way :P

China Grows Its Dairy Farms With a Global Cattle Drive

Calves at China Modern Dairy's 20,000-head farm in Feidong, Anhui province, were bred from highly productive foreign cows.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303863404577281302732745814.html

Call Linda Moulton Howe...and tell her we know whos been abducting all the cattle!

Sure every now and then they drop one...

Haluska? Sounds like a winner, especially with the caraway seeds!
Mmmm!

le
Hermetically sealed, for your protection

deuem

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 09:57:27 am »
Hum, the imported Cows have not yet reproduced since 2009. I don't blame them.
They probably feed them rice. They feed everything rice, even us.

That farm has to be up North somewhere, Never heard of it here. If it was around here, you would catch it on the wind from time to time. I can just see a 100 pound cow farmer pushing these around. What a site. If the cow sat on him he would be gone.

Moo milk on the way? Don't worry they will figure out a way to screw it up so bad, no one will buy it.
But if I am not mistaken, the only time they give milk is when they are pregnant and after that for awhile. Since none of them are reproducing, I guess there is no milk. Maybe they got sold neutered cows. That would be a laugh!

Deuem

sky otter

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 02:26:11 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Maybe they got sold neutered cows. That would be a laugh!

deuem..now that's funny...i had to look this up for you cause i couldn't type it out..just laughing too hard

Best Answer
Spayed heifers or steers. Cows aren't the ones that get neutered, it's either the heifers or bulls that do. Neutered bulls are called steers (or bullocks in Europe), and heifers that are not suitable for breeding which are spayed (by a simple surgical procedure of removing the ovaries) are called spayed heifers.

and here's some more info..just in case you come across one of those not - yet- nuetered cows...hahahahahah

you may have to use your own nose if no babies are around..hahahahahahahah

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD2hx0uyhMo[/youtube]

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 03:32:55 pm »
Where I live was farmland until the mid-seventies.  Some of the property has stayed in the same families forever, so they can still have their livestock.  The really great thing right around here is the e diversity.  We have an Ethiopian market and several Latin markets within walking distance, along with the standard grocery stores, plus several Asian markets within five miles.  We also have, within walking distance, an Ethiopian church, a Korean church, a Baptist church, a Mormon stakehouse and a Kingdom Hall.  And I probably see as many women wearing hijabs as I do bare headed women.  The really cool thing is that everyone is courteous to everyone else in public settings.  The Century 16 Theaters being the exception.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 03:54:23 pm »
Hum, the imported Cows have not yet reproduced since 2009. I don't blame them.
They probably feed them rice. They feed everything rice, even us.

Powdered Milk... If you have no real milk available... Its cheap in bulk and one of the famine foods the relief agencies send in huge bags

Its also a great survival/emergency food because it has a long shelf life

25lb NonFat Dry Milk (Non Fat Powdered Milk) 25-lb
http://compare.ebay.com/like/260621548346?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

I would like an ice cream recipe using powdered milk?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071022022650AAIife2

Astronaut Icecream
http://www.astronauticecreamshop.com/home.php

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 06:09:23 pm »
Non-fat dried milk is vile.  Tuna casserole is good, or chicken noodle casserole.  For ice cream, it has to be Blue Bell.  I had that years ago, when we were visiting family friends in Texas.  I was so excited when it came to Colorado.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

deuem

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 12:27:10 am »
Powdered Milk... If you have no real milk available... Its cheap in bulk and one of the famine foods the relief agencies send in huge bags

Its also a great survival/emergency food because it has a long shelf life

25lb NonFat Dry Milk (Non Fat Powdered Milk) 25-lb
http://compare.ebay.com/like/260621548346?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

I would like an ice cream recipe using powdered milk?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071022022650AAIife2

Astronaut Icecream
http://www.astronauticecreamshop.com/home.php

I would not touch powdered milk here with a 20 foot pole. Anything that is powdered they have made with something else and everyone knows it. They fake this kind of stuff all the time so no one trusts them. It could be powdered concrete if it was cheaper. When anything is made like this, some person will fake it and make a million before they get caught. The money will be funneled off to the family and even if the person gets a bullet to the head, so what, he made his family rich first. Kind of like life insurance works for you. If it hurt a thousand people, they do not care. Everyone here is aware of this and will only try something new in very small portions for a time before going for it. They did come up with some special seals like the Good houskeeping ones but they got copied also very quickly. Hey people make fake money!

Now before you think that this is the only place that does this, I suggest for you all to look around and really see what you are buying. There is also a big thing here about looking at the first 3 numbers in bar codes. Many packages have the right codes but the wrong printing for you to read. It says made in the USA but the bar code says another place. This even happens here. With out the right bar codes it would be stoped at the boarder. What is in it will not be. Deuem

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 03:51:13 am »
I would not touch powdered milk here with a 20 foot pole.

So buy a cow... and store it at a farm if you need to split the milk with the farmer :D

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter