collapse

Author Topic: LIVE ON TV: Attempt to Detect Alien Signal From Kepler 22b  (Read 5480 times)

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
LIVE ON TV: Attempt to Detect Alien Signal From Kepler 22b
« on: January 18, 2012, 01:43:59 pm »
UK Radio telescope at Jodrell Bank, UK is about to attempt to be the first to detect signals from Kepler 22b.  The attempt is being televised live on BBC2, as I type this in the UK.

If anything of substance occurs I will report back here. 

If you are in the UK then turn your TV set onto Stargazing Live right now.  There is a live  one hour TV debate to follow including on the "search" for ET life.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:46:46 pm by Pimander »

Offline starwarp2000

• Ollam Fodhla
  • Pegasus Alternate Energy Team
  • Gold 151
  • Omnes Tuum Bases
Re: LIVE ON TV: Attempt to Detect Alien Signal From Kepler 22b
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 06:27:12 pm »
Makes me want to move to the UK!

Can you get me a Green Card, Pim?  ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wnvpf
Sit down before fact like a small child, and be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature lead, or you will learn nothing. —T. H. Huxley

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 07:00:30 pm »
Makes me want to move to the UK!

Can you get me a Green Card, Pim?  ;D
We're already overcrowded here.  Besides, the weather is sh1te and property prices are crazy.  And have you seen how much we pay for fuel here (http://www.usa-vs-uk.com/petrol.html) - nearly twice what you pay!  In fact, I'm off,  can you get me a Green Card?

The show was a let down in terms of listening to Kepler 22b.  The debate was a bit lame too.  However, that show is a great idea.  Telescope sales in the UK went up 500% in response to the show!

The Cox Effect: Amazon reports 500% increase in telescope sales following astronomer's Stargazing TV show: Professor Brian Cox is making science sexy again

Now we just have to convince everyone interested that aliens are real. ;)

Offline stealthyaroura

• searcher of truth
  • The Roundtable
  • Gold 63
  • open minded student of truth.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 12:16:22 pm »
KEPLER 22b that's the "earth like" slightly larger than our "own" planet
isn't it? what are they hoping there will be intelligent life that will understand
the message we send? what are we sending, binary code?
How long will it take to get the message there AND back,if one does return?

bit of a long shot if you ask me & a publicity stunt at best (that's a good thing really)
But i reckon we have already introduced ourselves to the "others",so to speak.    ;) 

Nikola Tesla humanitarian / Genius.
never forget this great man who gave so much
& asked for nothing but to let electricity be free for all.

Offline starwarp2000

• Ollam Fodhla
  • Gold 151
  • Omnes Tuum Bases
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 06:47:41 pm »

Kelper 22b, Constelation Cygnus, 620ly.

So to answer that: 620 yrs signal out + 620 yrs return =    1240 yrs  :o :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler-22b
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 06:51:04 pm by starwarp2000 »
Sit down before fact like a small child, and be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature lead, or you will learn nothing. —T. H. Huxley

Offline dreb13

• Gold 39
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 07:18:22 pm »
Kelper 22b, Constelation Cygnus, 620ly.

So to answer that: 620 yrs signal out + 620 yrs return =    1240 yrs  :o :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler-22b

After reading this post, I searched for "instantaneous communication in space" and this was one of the results on the first page.

Breakthrough In Faster-Than-Light Travel/Communication And SETI

Interstellar space-travel and near-instant communication; discovering a network of intelligent extraterrestrial signals; harnessing the mysterious instantaneous quantum-entanglement effect. These are all either science fiction or things we will probably never live to see or understand, correct? Not at all. By the end of this article you will see how clarifying a simple but extremely fundamental misunderstanding in our science legacy makes all of this a viable reality ““ now.

In actuality, much of today’s science emerged in much simpler times centuries ago, now forming a legacy of often unquestioned and presumed truths about our world. But on closer examination many of these presumed truths are actually just abstract models and not physical answers at all. This misconception is powerfully reinforced in our educational systems and science programs, locking us into an often-troubled science paradigm of abstractions, contradictions, mysteries and paradoxes.

Today’s science explains quantum entanglement as an experimental observation where two photons from the same light source travel together, then are sent on two separate paths yet apparently maintain a mysterious link with each other. Thus, if one is later altered (such as a change in polarization), the other is instantaneously altered in the same fashion no matter how far apart they may be. This is considered a mysterious faster-than-light communication between two “entangled photons”.

An analogy for the difference between these two signal-transmission methods can be seen in the desktop toy with a line of hanging metal spheres suspended next to one another, often called Newton’s Cradle. When one sphere is pulled back then released to swing and strike the others, a sphere at the far end is immediately ejected. A long line of such spheres would allow transmission of such a signal to the far end in this manner far faster than it would take for a single sphere to swing that same distance on its own.

Likewise, the new understanding suggests we might develop ways to look for such rapidly conducted signals hidden within existing starlight that already connects us with the distant stars, rather than today’s method of looking for conventional light-speed signals as embedded features that move along with the beam. There could well be a hidden interstellar Newton’s Cradle-style internet all around us, awaiting any civilization that reaches this fundamental understanding of matter and energy. We could also find a way to conduct such a signal within the light of our own sun, revolutionizing telecommunications in the process.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/2035990/breakthrough_in_fasterthanlight_travelcommunication_and_seti/

There is a bit more informtation in that article but being that I'm not a Quantum Physicist, I cannot offer much more than the fact that interplanetary communication has come a long way.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:20:21 pm by dreb13 »

Offline starwarp2000

• Ollam Fodhla
  • Gold 151
  • Omnes Tuum Bases
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 09:13:55 pm »
Take these thoughts on that subject into consideration Dreb:

Let us observe the sky. During a cloudless day we see two distinct atmospheric colors, yellow and blue, which we now know Goethe considered as the only true colors. The yellow is the dot of the sun and the blue is the dome of the atmosphere. The red-yellow pole of color formation is observed as the sun moves from overhead towards the horizon, it progressively darkens through orange-gold-red colors of diverse variance, until it disappears beneath the horizon. As the sun sinks the blue sky turns darker towards the black sky of night, lit only by the stars. Mountain climbers and jet pilots have reported seeing the sky turn to violet at high altitudes. We can see that this is the blue-violet pole.

In terms of propagation the yellow light of the sun can be seen as a radial transmission wave, or rays, directly connecting the atmosphere with the solar body itself. This red-yellow pole is a longitudinal, instant direct connection. At night the longitudinal beam of stars can be seen. It is possible, given this line of thought, to conceive of the probability that the starlight we see is an instant transmission, a direct "real-time" connection to the star we are viewing.

The domed blue sky can be attributed to the luminescence of the atmosphere by the solar wind—that energetic stream which the sun continually feeds into space. The solar wind takes approximately eight minutes to travel to Earth from the Sun, though some atomic particles carried by it may take longer. It cannot travel the distance to other star systems and this is why we see only the longitudinal rays of stars at night. We could see them during the day if it were not for the blue sky. Actually, a transverse light filter may be manufactured by digging a deep well and climbing down to the bottom. One may use this device to view stars during the day. Viewing distant objects through a tube produces a similar, but less profound effect, the objects appear more clearly.

As the solar energy cannot be separated from the life force, we look to Wilhelm Reich’s observations of atmospheric orgone for help in understanding the structure of this blue atmosphere. Reich discovered, learned to isolate and scientifically study the life energy which he termed "orgone". Its observable form is that of a pulsing vesicle which has specific properties. Reich reported that among the observed optical properties, the orgone was bluish and that it moves through the atmosphere in a "corkscrew" pattern. We can see this as a progressive, life-positive, transverse wave. Once one begins to "read" the clouds, they will notice this corkscrew pattern as a regular function of cloud formation. Its signature manifests in diverse metamorphosis, but once recognized, it will be readily noticed.

http://thomasbrown.org/Light&Electricity/light_and_electricity.html

Very thought provoking indeed!

Add that to the fact that we don't really understand what light and electricity is, and we can begin to see where we are.

It is interesting to note that in the above diagram that Light: Yellow/red, Solar Body, Longitudinal/Radial has Instantaneous Transmission and the direct Electrical Analogue is LMD Waves: Tesla's Electricity, Longitudinal, Faster than Light
!

Notice also that Dielectricity operates in Counter-Space!

What does this all mean?? It means that any advanced civilisation that would wish to transmit across the vastness of space wouldn't be using TEM (Tranverse Electromagnetic) modes but would be using LMD (Longitudinal Magneto-Dielectric) Modes!
Using the light analogue they would use the Yellow/Red Solar Light that is instantaneous across the Universe! 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:16:56 pm by starwarp2000 »

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 10:28:18 am »

bit of a long shot if you ask me & a publicity stunt at best (that's a good thing really)
But i reckon we have already introduced ourselves to the "others",so to speak.    ;)
There was no attempt to send a message.  It was just an attempt to listen and see if there was anything resembling signals generated by "sentient life". However, it turned out that it "sounded" just like background space.

It was definitely a long-shot as for a radio signal to be discernible would probably require deliberately sending it here from K22b.  Even a telescope as powerful as the one at Jodrell bank would be unlikely to detect our radio transmissions from Kepler22b for example.

Havingsaidthat, it really could have turned into an accidental disclosure moment so I thought it was worth watching.  I imagine Jodrell Bank had already tried it so it wasn't really a first.  Can you imaging disclosure by accident live on TV being allowed?  Nah!

sky otter

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 12:01:17 pm »
 :-\

excuse me for butting in here....i've only read a tiny bit about this
but
has anyone ever considered that the "background space noise".. is/are signals/communication between space folk of which we are too stupid to understand...as yet?
i mean..really... do they think it will be morris code or english comin at them?

stepping back out..didn't mean to disrupt
 :-X

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 12:11:57 pm »
I'd say it is almost certain that some of the background radio "noise" from space is made up of sentient communications.  The trouble is proving it or recognising it if it just sounds like random noise.  If we focus on Earth like objects in space we hopefully increase the chances of getting a DISCERNIBLE signal and recognising it.

ETA:  I forgot to mention that Kepler 22b is not an especially near Galactic neighbour.

Offline starwarp2000

• Ollam Fodhla
  • Gold 151
  • Omnes Tuum Bases
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 12:54:48 am »

has anyone ever considered that the "background space noise".. is/are signals/communication between space folk of which we are too stupid to understand...as yet?

Surprisingly, current Science looks upon 'Noise' as a degradation or an impediment to the Signals they are examining!
They go to enormous lengths to filter out this noise and leave what they believe is the only 'One True' Pure Signal.

On the other side of the rainbow  ;), we can examine Telsa's works and find that there is another side to the spectrum of what we call 'Electromagnetic Radiation'.
He found that what Physicists call 'Noise' is really the LMD component of a Quadrature Electromagnetism!
It manifests as noise because it is simultaneously 'Sweeping' across an infinite frequency spectrum.

So yes!, you are correct in saying that any 'Advanced' Civilisation would embed that signal 'In the Noise', as it would take another 'Advanced Civilisation' (One who has advanced beyond 'Toy Science) to realise this and decode the transmission.  ;) 

sky otter

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 10:06:07 am »
 :)
Thanks guys for according my question  some merit..
i have been working with energy for some years and the term 'toy science' is fairly apt
even if a bit mean..lol
i better explain
i am not into one of the hard sciences like most here seem to be but the metaphysical ones of energy healing using kinesiology and body meridians..you know the woo-woo stuff..hahahahah
but
one of the  big things i have learnt is how little we really know about energy and how it works on all levels
and one of the other things is to question everything even if you think you understand it..

:D

Offline Somamech

• Order of the Mystic Star
  • Gold 337
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 11:39:06 am »
:)
Thanks guys for according my question  some merit..
i have been working with energy for some years and the term 'toy science' is fairly apt
even if a bit mean..lol
i better explain
i am not into one of the hard sciences like most here seem to be but the metaphysical ones of energy healing using kinesiology and body meridians..you know the woo-woo stuff..hahahahah
but
one of the  big things i have learnt is how little we really know about energy and how it works on all levels
and one of the other things is to question everything even if you think you understand it..

:D

Hey its not woo woo stuff Otter.  Thats the Norm ;)

People visit Chinese Doctors all the time to fix ailments which the 'hard science' of the likes of Nasa sorta folk cannot fix... And that is all based on Flow of Chi.  Many generations (or more truthfully thousands of years of research) of Hard Science in regards to Chi within Chinese Medicine to the point its normal... All over this stinking Planet   ;D

And in saying so it great folks pick on Nasa using their Methods LOL ;D

Just saying

Offline Somamech

• Order of the Mystic Star
  • Gold 337
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 11:47:01 am »
Take these thoughts on that subject into consideration Dreb:

http://thomasbrown.org/Light&Electricity/light_and_electricity.html

Very thought provoking indeed!

Add that to the fact that we don't really understand what light and electricity is, and we can begin to see where we are.

It is interesting to note that in the above diagram that Light: Yellow/red, Solar Body, Longitudinal/Radial has Instantaneous Transmission and the direct Electrical Analogue is LMD Waves: Tesla's Electricity, Longitudinal, Faster than Light
!

Notice also that Dielectricity operates in Counter-Space!

What does this all mean?? It means that any advanced civilisation that would wish to transmit across the vastness of space wouldn't be using TEM (Tranverse Electromagnetic) modes but would be using LMD (Longitudinal Magneto-Dielectric) Modes!
Using the light analogue they would use the Yellow/Red Solar Light that is instantaneous across the Universe!

That along with every thought here is awesome Starwarper!

Interesting you post a diagram of two opposites and talk LIGHT.   ;D 

I've seen the effect of sound on reality as we think it is..never could replicate it though sadly :(

EDIT to Add to make things clear: 

I could never replicate an odd sound experience I had noodling with an analog synth which caused a "white out" .  One in a million hit to find that combo of sounds which melt reality right proper so to speak ;)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:52:58 am by Somamech »

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 03:31:42 pm »
even if a bit mean..lol
i better explain
Watch it you lot.  ALL of the arts and sciences should be able to learn from one another.  Don't dismiss what main stream science offers.  Don't forget, there is an invisible side to what scientists do privately in both academia and industry.

My interest in physics and astronomy is almost a hobby, although I have taught physics.  I am a molecular genetics/biomedical scientist.

I have studied para sciences for just as long and am also an initiate of sorts.  And no I'm not a Mason, I'm a real initiate - most Masons know sweet FA.  I almost NEVER let on everything I know because it gives me information on who is where.  Don't judge a book by its cover. ;)

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: Music You Love by RUSSO
[Today at 02:12:02 am]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56