collapse

Author Topic: WTF is the Toob up to?  (Read 2864 times)

PLAYSWITHMACHINES

WTF is the Toob up to?
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:27:20 am »
I had to log in on Yootoob just now, & i was repeatedly asked to replace my username with my full name so that 'your freinds & people you know can find you easily'.
yeah, right, and the men in black suits can find me, too :P

And then i had to give an answer as to why i would not change, i gave the answer that it was for personal reasons, and they let me keep it, ain't I lucky!
Even then, i get this persistent banner on top of my page;
Thanks for your feedback. If you change your mind, you can start using your full name at any time.

And the underline is theirs, not mine.
The emphasis is more in the form of an order than a request ;)
It's peer pressure of the worst kind, shovelled out in the most patronising & adolescent manner.
Do they think i'm a 16 year-old?

A$$holes, the lot of them >:(
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:33:19 am by PLAYSWITHMACHINES »

Offline starwarp2000

• Ollam Fodhla
  • Pegasus Alternate Energy Team
  • Gold 151
  • Omnes Tuum Bases
Re: WTF is the Toob up to?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:03:26 am »
I got the same. They changed recently. I had my name as Starwarp2000 and it used to read Starwarp2000's Youtube. After the change it was Mr. Starwarp. They told me to change it to my real name.
I think they want to track you more, and this allows them to find you more easily. I ended up just adding my last initial, so it's starwarp M's page now...hahahaha  ;D
Sit down before fact like a small child, and be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature lead, or you will learn nothing. —T. H. Huxley

PLAYSWITHMACHINES

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:11:16 am »
Oh well, i might as well 'conform' and use my real name, Malcolm Y.
 8) :-X 8)

Offline starwarp2000

• Ollam Fodhla
  • Gold 151
  • Omnes Tuum Bases
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 07:12:47 am »
Nah be a Rebel and use PWMwhy?  ;D
Sit down before fact like a small child, and be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature lead, or you will learn nothing. —T. H. Huxley

PLAYSWITHMACHINES

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 07:16:43 am »
I used 'stawmy' because it's short for 'branestawm' which is my musician's name ;)
SShhh!

Funny, if you g@@gle 'stawmy' you will get a whole lot of stuff in Polish, it's a popular word for them apparently ;)
So i thought "let sleeping a.i. programs lie".....

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 08:07:23 am »
They want me to use my real name as well, but the only name either they or Facebook have is Petrus Laredes, which I adopted in 1997.  Google wanted a second name for the email address to go with my WoW blog as well; so at the time, they got Mirshalak Smith.  Even so, every time Google ask me to use that full length name, I still say no. 

I am petrus4 on YouTube, and virtually everywhere else, and it is sufficiently persistent that it might as well be my real name anyway.  I took the name Petrus in 1994, however; as a means at the time of attempting to defy the person my extended family knew, who back then at least, was essentially an autistic imbecile.

The desire to know your offline name is a means of control; and it goes further than just wanting to track you.  Names are how we define ourselves; it is possible to literally use a pseudonym as something with which to associate a particular developmental phase or period in your life.  Remember how Agent Smith always referred to Neo as Mr Anderson.  He did not want to grant him his adopted name, because to do so, would have acknowledged Neo's sacred right to recreate his identity, and thus to continue to develop as a person.  If I have the name and seal of a particular spirit, I can control that spirit.  We are spirits ourselves.

I view my birth name as a trap; online, the only time it is used is with my credit card, to pay for something.  That name is the name of the dummy corporation they imposed on me, for which I act as Regent; it is not me necessarily at all.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

PLAYSWITHMACHINES

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 08:55:14 am »
Yes, when G@@gle bought the Toob a few years back, the first thing they did was tell me i had to use my G@@gle log-in if i wanted to keep my YooToob channel.

The second thing they did was (and they still do) ask constantly to give them my mobile number "so that i can recover my password"

Of course it's control, i posted way back when on ATS about a brit software company selling 'security software' to the gubmint.
This software traces names, nouns, spelling, pseudonyms etc & places them all in a neat cross-linked file that updates itself.
If they can cut down on usernames, the sorting of who-is-who becomes much easier for them.
I'll try & find that document, it's interesting reading. This software can even trace your habits & writing style ::)

So far, only Fruitbat has figured out where i live, & Rose found my real name, but i sent her a link so that doesnt count :P Besides, PWM is what i do, so that's my name, not the one i was born with :)
Damn where did i leave that file?

I use chaos theory to confuse the bar stewards ;)

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 03:25:52 pm »
I'm "Amaterasu Solar" on the toob.  And as far as I'm concerned, THAT is My "real" name.  Any other name is one given to Me and retained by the System.  Not MY name.

They have never asked Me for My "real" name... Guess THEY think it's "Amaterasu Solar," too.  [smile]
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 06:32:49 pm »
Yes, now they make that silly request. I ignored it for personal reasons. :)

And yes, Google is always asking for my cellphone number, something impossible, as I don't have a cellphone. ;D

But some days ago, in the company where I work, when I was uploading a video for the company's YouTube channel, it said that it wouldn't accept larger videos until they had a "confirmation", so they asked for a phone number. As it wasn't a personal phone I used a company cellphone number, got a SMS with a code, used the code in YouTube and was instantly allowed to post videos with almost two hours.

Offline starwarp2000

• Ollam Fodhla
  • Gold 151
  • Omnes Tuum Bases
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 10:02:30 pm »

And yes, Google is always asking for my cellphone number, something impossible, as I don't have a cellphone. ;D

I did something sneaky.
I was going to get a new Mobile Phone anyway so I gave my old Cell number to Google to use for the 'password' recovery.
Within 2 hours i was was getting 'unsolicited' SMS and Email messages to that number via various marketing conglomerates.
That phone expired after 2 weeks as i had activated my new one. Google constantly 'harass' new for a new one, but they aren't going to get one.
Conclusion? Under the cover of 'password' recovery submitting your mobile number allows them to track your location, easily tap your phone and generally to do everything that is 'outside the law'.
GIS tracking databases are held on every phone and can be accessed in real time.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 02:25:07 am »
Within 2 hours i was was getting 'unsolicited' SMS and Email messages to that number via various marketing conglomerates.
The cellphone I used hasn't received any unwanted messages or calls, so things may be different in the EU. I know that when I join some services there's a special link for those from the EU, as our privacy laws are different.

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 03:02:25 am »
I'm "Amaterasu Solar" on the toob.  And as far as I'm concerned, THAT is My "real" name.  Any other name is one given to Me and retained by the System.  Not MY name.

They have never asked Me for My "real" name... Guess THEY think it's "Amaterasu Solar," too.  [smile]

"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 11:09:27 am »
I like it, Petrus. [smile]
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]