collapse

Author Topic: NASA discovers 'bridge' on far side of Moon  (Read 2920 times)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
NASA discovers 'bridge' on far side of Moon
« on: October 04, 2011, 11:36:27 am »

NASA says the "moon bridge" may be a collapsed lava tube. Picture: NASA

By staff writers From: news.com.au  September 09, 2010

NASA has discovered an amazing lunar bridge on the far side of moon capable of carrying two lanes of traffic.

The discovery was made by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, which sent pictures of the King Crater on the moon's far side to NASA.

Writing for NASA's LRO page, Mark Robinson, Principal Investigator of the LRO Camera team, said that the bridge was seven metres wide and 20m long and spanned a canyon between two and four stories deep.

"Who would have thought?" he wrote.

"Natural bridges on the Earth are typically the result of wind and water erosion - not a likely scenario on the Moon.

"So how did this natural bridge form?"

NASA speculates that the formation may have come about following the collapse of a lava tube.

The LRO last month confirmed a theory that the moon's surface may hide a vast network of lava tubes which may even offer the kind of shelter that would allow humans to live there.

The discovery of the bridge seems to have further bolstered the theory.

"Scientists believe that the astonishing formation is the result of ancient lava flows which left hollow tunnels, which in this case have fallen away and created the bridge like structure," NASA said.

Story from NASA

King Crater... how about that eh John?

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:23:07 am by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Re: NASA discovers 'bridge' on far side of Moon
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 11:37:13 am »
Looks a lot like the one we found on that old Lick Observatory photo from 1946

This one is NW of Endymion same width as crater. I am sure John can point out where to find it in this picture

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:32:43 pm by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 11:39:14 am »
  Exuberant1

Neat Find with that old Lick shot.

Whilst perusing that 6.1 mb image (!)  I managed to find something that seemed strange and resembled an old fort - see below:

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:35:59 pm by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 11:52:09 am »
  John Lear

The top yellow circle is the bridge. The bottom one is the apparently movable space complex.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:36:31 pm by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 11:53:42 am »

Details on that Lick Photo are here..

Full size Lick moon images

We went up to the Lick some time ago and tried to get a look at the old archives. We were told by the curator that they were not available, they they were being re-archived in the Universities new building in Santa Cruz... She was helpful though and made a phone call.

We were told we could go in person and make a request. Well Jack Arneson lived close by and he did go and request. Seems we were able to get access to any Lick observatory photos and history  EXCEPT the moon images

Hi Johnny, (Johnny Anonymous, ATS)

I called the Lick Observatory Archives & spoke with someone about the archive's status.  Basically I was told what I indicated to you, when you visited.  Much of the archival material is boxed up, awaiting the move to a new facility.  Unfortunately the move may take as long as 2 years.  But on the positive side, not all the material is boxed up & they may be able to access material for you, depending upon your  request.

So you may contact them at:  831-459-2571
Or email at:     speccoll@library.ucsc.edu

Thank you for your interest!
Regards,

Wendy Hansen
UCO/Lick Observatory
831-459-5936
408-274-5061
wendy@ucolick.org

Hansen.... Hansen... hmmm where do I know THAT name from?  ???

University of California - Santa Cruz

Lick archival material  does not circulate but may be consulted in the Special Collections Reading Room.  Some titles and papers are stored remotely but may be recalled for use. Researchers are encouraged to contact Special Collections staff in advance to arrange for retrieval and a reading appointment. Lick archival material that has not yet been processed remains unavailable to researchers. Photocopying or other forms of reproduction of  cataloged and processed Lick archives material may be possible; please consult the staff in Special Collections.

For assistance locating or accessing Lick archival material or in using Lick findings aids, specialized databases, or Cruzcat catalog entries, please contact Special Collections.  Researchers may:

* schedule an appointment in person at the Special Collections Reference Desk located within Special Collections on the 3rd floor of McHenry Library
    * phone (831) 459-2547
    * e-mail speccoll@library.ucsc.edu

At the end of the day... we are no closer to seeing those moon pictures from 70 years ago

And in case you ask about that 200 inch scope at Mt Palomar?

> Dear Mr Kardel
>
> I have been wondering for some time why there are no images of the Moon from Mount Palomar. I have searched the web and have not found any. I may have missed them though.
>
> Could you possibly let me know if there are such images and where I might find them?
>
> Thank you
> Ron Schmidt
> Las Vegas NV

Hi Ron,

I haven't seen any images of the Moon from Palomar either.  It is possible that some were taken long ago, but astronomers would rather explore the Moon with spacecraft and use the big telescopes for observing much, much fainter objects.

Clear skies,

- Scott

W. Scott Kardel
Public Affairs Coordinator, Palomar Observatory
Telephone: (760) 742-2111
E-mail: wsk@astro.caltech.edu
WWW:www.palomar-observatory.org
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:41:44 pm by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 01:52:23 pm »
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 01:07:00 BST
Subject: 1950's Moon Activity

A cross posting which I'm sure will be of interest to some subscribers.

[START]
====================================================================
BBS: Stairway to Heaven BBS
Date: 24-11-94 (00:12) Number: 82
To: ALL Recvd: NO
Subj: 1950's Moon Activity Conf: (191) GNUFO's

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

by: Major Donald E. Keyhoe
c: 1955

Chapter 5

Enigma On The Moon

Driving home after I left Redell, I went over what he had said. Even thought I had considered a moon base as a possibility, I found myself resisting the idea.

Yet even we were planning, working hard, to build a base on the moon. The advantages from a military viewpoint would be overwhelming. Willi Ley, an authority on space operation plans, had summed it up in an article called "Invasion Base on the Moon."

After a technical discussion Ley stated that the moon's terrain, scarred with countless craters, had thousands of excellent sites for offensive base. The aggressor who sets up the first interplanetary outpost on the moon, he said, can dominate not only our world but our entire solar system.

Like other space-travel experts, Ley had suggested an underground base, to escape the terrific heat of daylight and bitter cold of night.

Other experts had agreed with Ley that missiles could be launched from the moon and guided toward any point on earth. Because of the thin atmosphere, telescopes could clearly show the earth's details far better than we-with out dense atmosphere-could see the moon's.

Because of the moon's lower gravity-one sixth that of the earth-space ships could easily take off for other planets or for a reconnaissance of the earth. It would be an ideal base, and both we and the Russians hoped to be on the moon within 20 years, perhaps even sooner.

In spite of these factors it was not easy to admit that the moon might already be occupied by an unknown race.

Then I realized why the thought was disturbing. Like most people, I'd grown up with a friendly, safe feeling about the moon. It had always seemed our special property, placed in the sky for our convenience. The
suggestion that it was now occupied by living creatures from another world was still hard to accept.

However, it might not be true. As cagey as Redell was, he could have been taken it. More than once I myself had started to follow some dramatic lead, only to find it had no foundation.

But Redell was on more solid ground, as I learned later....On the night of July 29, 1953, John J. O'Neill, science editor of the _Herald Tribune_, settled himself at his telescope for an evening's observation of the moon. It was 6:30 U.T., and the moon, on its northerly course, was approaching the equator when O'Neill made an amazing discovery.

Streching above the Mare Crisium crater was a gigantic bridge!

For a moment O'Neill refused to believe his senses. It might be an optical illusion. With utmost care he rechecked his telescope. He was using a 90X eyepiece. The "seeing"-an astronomer's term for visual conditions-was excellent.

He took another look.

The bridge was still there. Streching in a straight line from pediment to pediment, it was more than 12 miles long.

The thing seemed impossible. In all the years he had watched the moon, there had been no bridge-nothing at all-above the Mare Crisium.

But there it was.

Fascinated, O'Neill watched the mysterious bridge for an hour and a half. Twice he changed eyepieces, to a 125X and 250X. Both times, under the higher magnification, the huge structure appeared sharply in outline, an unbelievable engineering marvel apparently erected in weeks, perhaps days.

Knowing the furor it would cause among astronomers, a man with no less courage would have kept silent. As it was, not even O'Neill dared to tell the whole story. In his report to the Association of Lunar and
Planetary Observers, he called his discovery a "gigantic natural bridge." But the sudden appearance of such a structure by an act of nature was absolutely impossible, as many privately admitted.

As O'Neill expected, he was quickly attacked by some astronomers. But most critics were abruptly silenced. For in August, 1953, one month after O'Neill's discovery, the existence of the bridge was fully confirmed by the great British astronomer, Dr. H.P. Wilkins. The following month it was also reported by another English lunar authority, Patrick Moore, a leading member of the British Astronomical Association.

The courage shown by O'Neill, Wilkins, and Moore soon led several astronomers to speak out on other moon mysteries-especially the strange lights so frequently seen in some craters.

On September 16, 1953, a peculiar, bright flash was seen on the moon by Rudolph M. Lippert, a member of the Lunar Section of the British Astronomical Association. Through his eight-inch Cassegrain reflector, with 90X power, the mysterious light glowed a yellowish orange, as bright as a first-magnitude star. Like the previous reports of strange lights, this was quickly explained away by more skeptical astronomers, who claimed it was a meteor hitting the moon.

But there was no way to brush off the Mare Crisium bridge discovery.

In public Dr. Wilkins, like O'Neill, had called it a strange "natural bridge." But his private comments had astonished members of the Royal Astronomical Association and the British Interplanetary Society.

It was not long before word of his comments reached the Pentagon. There the silence group learned with alarm that Wilkins was planning to make public his opinion of the bridge.

There was no way for the Pentagon censors to muzzle a British subject. All they could do was to pray the censors in London would somehow keep him from talking.

As I puzzled over the question of a moon base, I vaguely remembered some of the earlier recorded observations of the moon.

Within a short time, after I had talked with astronomers and searched astronomy records, a startling picture began to emerge.

For almost 200 years astronomers had watched mysterious activities on the moon.

Early in the nineteenth century Sir John Herschel, one of England's great astronomers, reported seeing strange, bright lights when the moon was darkened by an eclipse. Some of the lights, he said, seemed to be moving "above the moon."

Later, startling geometrical patterns resembling city streets were seen by the astronomer Gruithuisen.

In 1869 a sudden eruption of mystery lights, in regular patterns, caused a three-year investigation by the Royal Astronomical Society of Great Britain. Most of these puzzling lights were seen in the Mare Crisium area, where the gigantic bridge was later discovered. Watched by dozens of astronomers, the lights appeared in circular groups, triangular formations, and straight lines, their intensity varying as
if by intelligent control.

Though the Royal Astronomical Society would not admit it publicly, some of its members believed this was an attempt by an unknown race on the moon to signal the earth. Until 1871 careful records were made every night, in the hope of deciphering the messages. Then, after nearly 2000 observations, the strange lights ceased to appear. If they were signals, their meaning was still a riddle.

Beside the puzzling lights, several mysterious dark objects had been sighted moving over the moon's surface. In 1912 Dr. F.B. Harris picked up a huge black object with his telescope. Estimated to be at least 50
miles across, it was clearly visible as it traversed the shinning face of the moon.

Since 1915 straight and curving walls had suddenly appeared in several craters, among them Archimedes and Aristarchus.

On March 30, 1950, Dr. H.P. Wilkins, using a 15 1/4-inch reflector, picked up a wierd glow in the Aristarchus-Herodotus region. Oval-shaped and strangely brilliant, it apparently came from some type of glowing machine hovering near the crater floor.

Three months later an almost identical light was sighted at the same spot by an experienced American astronomer, James C. Bartlett, Jr.

Most recent of all were the mystifying white "domes"-strange round formations, which appeared abruptly in many of the moon's craters.

All the evidence suggested not only the existence of a moon base, but that operations by an intelligent race had already begun. If so, who could the creatures be? Were they from other planets or did they originate on the moon?

The possibilities were numerous.

Surface creatures may have inhabited the moon long before its atmosphere thinned. If this were so, they might have adapted to changing conditions by creating a synthetic "atmosphere" underground.

But it was more likely that any moon race-if one actually existed-had always lived underground, protected there from the constant meteor bombardment. In that case the moon creatures might merely be animals
with a low intelligence.

But this would not account for the strange geometric light formations or the many other mysteries that had occurred on the moon during the last 200 years.

If these strange reports were correct, an intelligent race must have been on the moon for nearly two centuries.

A highly advanced race could have achieved space travel before we had even steamships. In the moon's thin atmosphere they might have trained telescopes on the earth and seen our cities grow. Their space ships might have circled our globe periodically, checking on our progress.

That would explain scores of old sighting reports, going back to the eighteenth century.

Such a race might not have understood what they saw. To them we could have seemed merely strange animals, or creatures too primitive to attract their interest.

But as our planes and rockets appeared, and our A-bombs exploded, their picture of us would have changed. Perhaps the historic radio message which the U.S. Signal Corps bounced off the moon-"'What had God wrought?"-had been mistaken as a signal to them.

If this were true, and a highly intelligent race inhabited the moon, the danger from us would be obvious. The moon would be the first target for our space ships and exploration rockets. From the A-and H-bomb
explosions seen on our globe, and the almost constant wars they had watched, they could easily have supposed one thing: We planned to take over the moon.

Ironically, they wouldn't have been far wrong, for we and the Soviet had announced plans to use the moon as a base.

But it was only one of a dozen possible answers.

The moon could have been inhabited long ago, then abandoned as conditions changed. Its creatures could have reached Mars and established a civilization there, to return "home" only a frequent intervals. Perhaps _they_ used the moon as a space base for travel to other planets.

Or there may never have been a moon race at all. The lunar sphere could have been occupied by outsiders-from Mars, for example, or from a planet beyond our solar system. Gradually a base could have been built up, most of it underground to avoid meteor falls. The intermittent use of the moon as a space base would explain the strange lights of the past two centuries, as well as the mysterious radical cracks or lines which might be caused by intense heat from "blastoffs."

This unknown race might have regarded with increasing interest our own world. They too may have feared our explorations.

There was one other possible answer.

The creatures on the moon might be a _combination_ of several races from other planets. We might never know until we reached the moon-unless one of their space ships landed on earth.

Could the moon race have been enslaved and forced to build the space base for outsiders? Perhaps so. It was even possible that a strong moon race, perhaps with unknown weapons, could have overwhelmed the space visitors and now might be in control.

As to which was the right answer, I could only speculate. But the evidence of _some_ intelligent race on the moon seemed undeniable...

Fortunately for the silence group, very few besides astronomers knew of the moon bridge. But if Wilkins revealed his startling opinion, the press might look into all the historic reports.

As the weeks passed, with no word from London, the Pentagon censors began to breath easier.

Then the news broke. On December 23 in a British radio broadcast, Dr. Wilkins disclosed the dramatic story. He was interviewed at his telescope by BBC radio commentator Bernard Forbes, after this opening
statement. *

"Since the beginning of this century, astronomers have been observing features on the surface of the moon which have not been noticed before. During the last few years many dome-like swellings have been seen through powerful modern telescopes, and only a few months ago astronomers detected what is perhaps the most curious feature of all. It looks like a gigantic bridge, and the Director of the British
Astronomical Association, Dr. H.P. Wilkins, when interviewed,
discussed this new discovery.

"Dr. Wilkins:...If you look through the eyepiece [of the telescope], you will see one of the most interesting regions on the moon...called the Mare Crisium. It's that comparatively small, dark oval marking.

"Forbes: Yes, I can see it now.

"Dr. Wilkins: I've mentioned this gap in the mountain barrier...but there now exists what looks like a bridge across this gap.

"Forbes: That's most extraordinary.

"Dr. Wilkins: Now this is a real bridge. Its span is about 20 miles from one side to the other, and it's probably at least 5000 feet or so from the surface beneath.

"Forbes: It must be a most gigantic arch if it's 5000 feet high.

"Dr. Wilkins: It certainly is.

"Forbes: How wide is it?

"Dr. Wilkins: The width is about a mile and a half or two miles. It tapers-narrows, rather-in the centre.

"Forbes: Are you quite certain that you haven't mistaken it for some other object?

"Dr. Wilkins: Oh, no, there's no mistake at all. It's been confirmed by other observers. It looks artificial. It's almost incredible that such a thing could have been formed in the first instance, or if it was formed, could have lasted during the ages in which the moon has been in existence. You would have expected it either to be disintegrated by temperature variations or by meteor impact.

"Forbes: And when you say it looks artificial, what do you mean exactly by this?

"Dr. Wilkins: Well, it looks almost like an engineering job.

"Forbes: (Exclamation of astonishment.)

"Dr. Wilkins: Yes, it is most extraordinary.

"Forbes:And is it more or less regular in outline?

"Dr. Wilkins: Absolutely regular in outline. That makes it all the more remarkable.

"Forbes: And does it cast a shadow?

"Dr. Wilkins: Yes, it casts a shadow under a low sun and you can see the sunlight streaming in beneath it."

* This is a verbatim transcription from the BBC tape recording, secured for me by Isabel L. Davis, of Civilian Saucer Intelligence, N.Y.C.

Next day a brief cable report on Wilkins' historic broadcast appeared in U.S. papers. Significantly, the mysterious structure was called a "natural" bridge, though Wilkins had not used this word once in his
broadcast.

But even with this reprieve, the message shook the Pentagon censors. For Dr. Wilkins or some other famous astronomer still could deny the possibility of any natural bridge.

At any time this would have been bad news. But it came just as the silence group was facing a new crisis. Starting in late October, increased saucer sightings, combined with blows from all sides, had driven the UFO censors into a tight corner...

After the Conowingo incident several UFO reports had increased the pressure on the Air Force.

On the afternoon of October 24 a round, silvery, metallic machine streaked above the Massachusetts coast at a speed between 900 and 1200 mph.

That night, in Iowa, state highway police sighted a huge disc, glowing blue-white, near the town of Cascade.

>From England, too, the reports came in. Several dramatic sightings had upset the Air Ministry.

On October 18 two British airline pilots, Captain Peter Fletcher and First Officer R.L. Lemon, saw a strange craft flying over the English Channel. It had the appearance of two saucers with their rims together.

In his official report to the Air Ministry, Captain Fletcher said, "We have no doubt whatsoever the object was solid...that it was constructed of metal..."

On November 3 there had been an even more startling encounter. Two RAF pilots, Flying Officers T.S. Johnson and C.H. Smythe, had sighted a UFO from their Vampire jet. Moving at tremendous speed, the saucer also was tracked on radar by the 256th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment.

On November 12 the Canadian government revealed it had set up a flying saucer observatory near Ottawa.

"Defense research scientists," the Ottawa release said, "have never pooh-poohed the flying saucers."

Dr. O.M. Solandt, Chairman of the Defense Research Board, told the press that the government had given orders to ship captains, meteorologists, and other special observers to report UFO's at once.

The wide publicity given the story in this country increased suspicion that the Air Force was covering something up. This infuriated the silence group, but they did not dare to criticize the Canadian government.

Seven days later the British War Office confirmed the saucer encounter and radar report of November 3 and released statements from radarmen and the two RAF pilots.

"Apparently," Frank Edwards remarked on his program that night, "the British War Office and our Air Force have different ideas on trusting the public."

The Air Force was still smarting over this when Captain Walter Karig's story, "The Official Truth About Flying Saucers," appeared in the American Weekly Magazine.

Contradicting the Air Force, Karig revealed that the Utah pictures were still under study. The UFO's, he said, were apparently solids, traveling at speeds never achieved by earthlings. Moveover, there was every evidence of control by intelligent beings.

The following night I heard from the Intelligence officer who had advised me to call Ruppelt for help. He told me Karig had set off a row almost as bad as the one I caused. But all that the censors could do was to lick their wounds and curse Captain Karig in private. For he had too many powerful friends in the Pentagon and on Capitol Hill.

"And that article by Shapley in the November "Atlantic Monthly" scared the hush-hush crowd," the Intelligence officer told me. "Coming from the number-one Harvard astronomer, it could have made headlines all over the world."

I had already seen the article, taken from Dr. Shapley's new book.

After the officer hung up, I remembered one haunting sentence, which followed Shapley's declaration about the millions of inhabited planets. It consisted of just four words:

"We are not alone."
[END]

Does anyone know if there were subsequent developments, specifically in the late 50's and the 60's, in relation to these alleged structures on the moon?

Cheers,

James.

E-Mail: TEXJE@VAXB.HW.AC.UK
Internet: JAMES.EASTON@ABACUS.ORG

WAYBACK MACHINE
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:40:28 am by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 01:54:30 pm »
Originally posted by Kandinsky member of ATS

Thanks for uploading this. I've been enjoying a good trawl through a CD of historic UFO and space-based interviews and newscasts so this is topical.

Reading around the subject of the interview shows the interest the 'bridge' claim generated. The claim was made in 1953 by John Joseph O Neil. He sought confirmation from one of the most prominent amateur astronomers of the time...Hugh Percy Wilkins. When Wilkins agreed and confirmed the bridge, he attracted a lot of ridicule that's apparently prevented him from having a great reputation in astronomy. There's an interesting article (pdf) about his achievements....British Astronomical Association.

The bridge in the video is from the NASA LROC mission and can be seen....here (Natural Land Bridge on the Moon!). LROC will be passing over Mare Crisium in about half an hour...popular with Moon anomalists. :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:44:30 am by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 02:00:15 pm »
Ah yes that Mare Crisium Bridge John told me about in that old moon thread where I first met him..

Brings back memories

Promontorium Olivium

Promontorium Olivium is the site of the somewhat infamous O'Neill's Bridge. Without access to the original documents the circumstances surrounding this event are a bit difficult to reconstruct, but it seems that in 1953, as the Sun was setting over the western shore of Mare Crisium, science writer John J. O'Neill observed a fan of light apparently emanating from the low spot between Promontorium Olivium and Promontorium Lavinium and spreading to the east. Incorrectly interpretting this as the signature of the arch of a 12-mile wide natural bridge he sent letters seeking confirmation of his discovery to a number of prominent lunar observers of the day, including H. P. Wilkins. Wilkins possibly understood that a lunar bridge would not produce a fan of light, but seems to have claimed to have observed the shadow of a much smaller arch (and the light shining through its aperture) at nearly the same location; observing this both with a 15-inch reflector at his home and with the Mount Wilson 60-in reflector (the later, at least, with a quite high Sun). Wilkins' (south up) Mount Wilson sketch (see Dobbins and Baum, 1998 article in Bibliography) shows a tiny loop to the south of the small crater known in the System of Lunar Craters as Proclus PA (just to the right of the dot for Proclus P in the Lunar Orbiter photo shown at the top of this page -- which is likely at very nearly the same sun angle as Wilkins' untimed Mount Wilson observation). Wilkins estimated the length of his smaller arch to be about 1.5-2 miles, and appears to be trying to show in his drawing that its shadow pattern changes in the manner that would be expected for an arch illuminated by a lowering Sun. With his home telescope he might possibly have been looking at Proclus PA itself, the bowl of which seems to be represented in the Mount Wilson sketch by a dark circle with a bird-like double beak extending to the south. Strangely, the axis of the bird's bill is shown diverging from the axis of Promontorium Olivium at an angle of about 30° when all photos suggest they should be nearly parallel or converging. It is unclear if Wilkins thought his arch could account for O'Neill's extremely broad fan of light when illuminated at much lower sun angles (something that would require some highly improbable reflections from shiny surfaces on the underside of the bridge). According to Charles Wood, Wilkins hinted in the 1954 edition of Wilkins and Moore that the bridge might be artificial, although other articles about the incident claim Wilkins always insisted its was natural. All references to O'Neill and his bridge seem to have been expunged from the final 1961 edition of The Moon, although his name is printed just to the west of the gap between the two promontories on Wilkins' map of Section XII (p. 192), and the name is listed as having been proposed by Wilkins (p. 353)

Promontorium Olivium

This is why I have 'issues' with main stream science

All references to ONeill and his bridge seem to have been expunged from the final 1961 edition of The Moon

The Bridge from the January 1946 Lick Observatory photo LICKOBS9

There is also another one near Endymion Crater

The Full Size Lick Observatory images are on the first page of John's Moon thread

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:48:19 am by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 02:21:38 pm »
Wrong area but... NASA SAYS...
Natural Bridge on the Moon

Just when you think you have seen everything, LROC reveals a natural bridge on the Moon! Who would have thought? Natural bridges on the Earth are typically the result of wind and water erosion -- not a likely scenario on the Moon. So how did this natural bridge form? The most likely answer is dual collapse into a lava tube.

Natural Bridge on the Moon

Who would have thought?

John said "Bridge on the Moon" and "Water on the Moon" years ago
Bob Lazar even called in to C2C to apologize to John for doubting the water

Good old NASA

Takes them years but eventually they get on the same page as us. Some recent NASA "Goodies"

Venus Flyby Shooting

June 5, 2007: Picture this: A spaceship swoops in from the void, plunging toward a cloudy planet about the size of Earth. A laser beam lances out from the ship; it probes the planet's clouds, striving to reach the hidden surface below. Meanwhile, back on the craft's home world, scientists perch on the edge of their seats waiting to see what happens. Sounds like science fiction? This is real, and it's happening today.

Venus Flyby

Moon Storms

December 7, 2005: Every lunar morning, when the sun first peeks over the dusty soil of the moon after two weeks of frigid lunar night, a strange storm stirs the surface.

The next time you see the moon, trace your finger along the terminator, the dividing line between lunar night and day. That's where the storm is. It's a long and skinny dust storm, stretching all the way from the north pole to the south pole, swirling across the surface, following the terminator as sunrise ceaselessly sweeps around the moon.

Never heard of it? Few have. But scientists are increasingly confident that the storm is real.

Moon Storms

Moon Fountains

Well, guess what? Writer Clement was righter than he knew. It appears lunar dust does levitate above the Moon's surface because of electrostatic charging. And the first evidence came almost the way Clement had described.

In the early 1960s before Apollo 11, several early Surveyor spacecraft that soft-landed on the Moon returned photographs showing an unmistakable twilight glow low over the lunar horizon persisting after the sun had set. Moreover, the distant horizon between land and sky did not look razor-sharp, as would have been expected in a vacuum where there was no atmospheric haze.

But most amazing of all, Apollo 17 astronauts orbiting the Moon in 1972 repeatedly saw and sketched what they variously called "bands," "streamers" or "twilight rays" for about 10 seconds before lunar sunrise or lunar sunset. Such rays were also reported by astronauts aboard Apollo 8, 10, and 15.

Moon Fountains

Even Scientific American gets into the act when NASA went looking for water

NASA's mission to bomb the Moon: Scientific American

NASA will tomorrow launch a spectacular mission to bomb the Moon. Their LCROSS mission will blast off from Cape Canaveral, Florida, carrying a missile that will blast a hole in the lunar surface at twice the speed of a bullet. The missile, a Centaur rocket, will be steered by a shepherding spacecraft that will guide it towards its target - a crater close to the Moon's south pole. Scientists expect the blast to be so powerful that a huge plume of debris will be ejected.

NASA's mission to bomb the Moon

And the Department of Defense

Tuesday, December 3, 1996 - 1:45 p.m.
Subject: Discovery of Ice on the Moon

Q: That translates to what in volume?

A: We were very conservative in the press release, but if you take basically 100 square kilometers by roughly 50 feet, you get a volume of something like a quarter of a cubic mile, I think it's on that order. It's a considerable amount, but it's not a huge glacier or anything like that.

Q: Can you compare that with something you know?

A: It's a lake. A small lake.

Q: But it's a dirt lake.

A: Right, mixed in. (Laughter) A dirty lake.

Discovery of Ice on the Moon

Glorious Times

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:57:20 am by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 02:23:59 pm »
More Sources

1. Ashbrook, Joseph. 1954. "Is there a Bridge on the Moon?”. Sky and Telescope Vol. 13 (April issue), p. 205.
2. Dobbins, Thomas A. and Baum, Richard M. 1998. "O'Neill's Bridge Remembered". Sky & Telescope, Vol. 95, Issue 1 (January), pp. 105-108.
3. Graham, Francis. 1995. "The O'Neill bridge: discovery, analysis and subsequent track in literature to the present". Selenology Vol. 14, 4 (reprinted in Selenology Today Vol. 10, pp. 34-40.
4. Wilkins, H. P. 1955. "O'Neill's Bridge". JBAA Vol. 65, No. 2.
5. Wood, Charles. 2003. O’Neill Unbridged (webpage).
6. Mouse-Sensitive Map - Mare Crisium: LO4-191H3[/url
The alternative conquest of the Moon
8. On the So-Called "Lunar Bridge" Authors: Sadil, F. Journal: Bulletin of the Astronomical Institutes of Czechoslovakia, vol. 8, p.33
9. Apollo Moon Conversations Show NASA Coverup
[/b]
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 03:15:32 am by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 02:27:20 pm »
Bridge on the Moon discussed in rare audio tape found from 1956.

[youtube]m9qHC5I8YgQ[/youtube]

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 03:07:53 am by zorgon »

Offline Sinny

• Gold 305
  • Think In, Out and Around The Box.
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 09:34:43 am »
The existence of the "bridge" has been refuted by the Public Observatory in Prague:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1957BAICz...8...33S
"The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society"- JFK

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: Music You Love by RUSSO
[Today at 02:12:02 am]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter