collapse

Author Topic: Flamin Guitars  (Read 9204 times)

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
Flamin Guitars
« on: March 13, 2012, 10:22:31 pm »
Since we have a smokin drummers thread, I thought I would start one for guitars as well.

I'll begin with one from Jeff Beck on one of his more recent albums that displays blues licks turned up to flamethrower strength.   8)

[youtube]3N2tdZi-O0M[/youtube]

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
Re: Flamin Guitars
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 10:51:52 pm »
And what thread on flamin guitars would be complete without the original flame thrower himself - Jimi Hendrix   8)

This rarity is a more laid back track called Country Blues that shows a side of Mr Jimi most are not familiar with.

[youtube]MP0VLbmtggg[/youtube]

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 11:10:07 pm by A51Watcher »

Offline Somamech

• Order of the Mystic Star
  • Gold 337
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 07:16:02 am »
Nice one A51 :D

Jeff Beck is someone I should take more notice of as he tends to Be Jeff Beck but keeps on the ball with whats going on musically.  As soon as I heard a few bar's of the track you posted I thought "what the heck? Jeff is inspired by Amon Tobin" 

You also reminded me about this great song he recorded a few, few? years back.  :D

Jeff Beck - Nadia 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4LUH2kB9RY[/youtube]

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 07:24:30 am »
In a sorta Jeff Beck vein... Steve Hillage from 1978. 

I was in nappys when this album was released  :o  and picked up this record in my early twenty's second hand.  I was attracted to all the Moog's and the song titles on the album, always a gamble when buying blind but when I arrived home and placed the needle in the groove I was as happy as a pig in slurry LOL

We should get Steve over here as he still has a keen interest in all things UFO's... maybe he could write a Peggy Tune for us :D

His current site and music:

http://www.a-wave.com/system7/

Steve Hillage - The Glorious Om Riff.

Crank it up to ACDC 11 on the gain knob and Enjoy  8)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o6_svhDz30[/youtube]

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 07:54:50 am »

I was in nappys when this album was released  :o  and picked up this record in my early twenty's second hand.  I was attracted to all the Moog's and the song titles on the album, always a gamble when buying blind but when I arrived home and placed the needle in the groove I was as happy as a pig in slurry LOL

We should get Steve over here as he still has a keen interest in all things UFO's... maybe he could write a Peggy Tune for us :D

Killer band,and video, Somamech, and Ive been finding electronic music quite interesting lately for some reason.Thanks for the link!
And yes my ancient harmon/kardon amp has a setting for 11, and Ive let the smoke out of it too many times to tell!
LE
Hermetically sealed, for your protection

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 09:28:52 am »
Nice one A51 :D

Jeff Beck is someone I should take more notice of as he tends to Be Jeff Beck but keeps on the ball with whats going on musically.  As soon as I heard a few bar's of the track you posted I thought "what the heck? Jeff is inspired by Amon Tobin" 

You also reminded me about this great song he recorded a few, few? years back.  :D

Jeff Beck - Nadia 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4LUH2kB9RY[/youtube]

Nice one Soma. The style on that reminds me of his style on this one -

[youtube]QJeUya6i3cM[/youtube]

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 10:18:19 am »
A51  ;)

Jeff sure does have a damn knack with extracting tones with an axe that don't go down the wasteland of "I can fiddle strings are you impressed territory" that I appreciate greatly.  Thx for the listen mate  8)

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 11:14:48 am »
Flaming Guitars ?

I've been holding this post off due to the mature age of most here.... But Flaming Guitars and bending strings in Alternate tunings is what I grew up on  ;D

Now the odd thing is about Sonic Youth in their Hay Day is that were Noisy with their flaming Guitars.  Once you see them live you well and truly see how out of this world they really are in HONING that Skill.  I've seen them 4 times in Oz and each time is a lesson in what they do :D

In saying the above I've searched long and hard for this thread made by A51 and the Best flaming clip I could find is Sonic Youth 100%

This is for You A51 and YOUR VIDEO That Proves 100% of the whole shit storm John has received all these Years  :)

Shredding Noise Rock :D

100 % - Sonic Youth

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiqM-Ne5b10[/youtube]

Offline Gigas

• Gold 90
  • This can't be real
    • An obscure place from my mind
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 03:18:11 pm »
I've had numerous electric guitars and amps with marshall half stack and baby marshall stack and stuff. Currently I have a washburn lyons electric with built in effects. I got rid of all my other stuff and have just this now. I plug earphones into it when making noise. This world isn't ready for my style yet.

As a matter of fact, I was kicked out of hell for not playing up to expectation. I am rather difficult back there and simply a world class s h i t disturber here.

Anyway, I totally digg this riff and lead and I was playing something similar but slower. My son, who is like me but ten times the world class s h i t distruber, plays rings around my style which is nothing compared to his. He has his own band and business to boot. The guys a master of darkness at guitar.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m247tUFJb2s[/youtube]

Everyone loves me, till they're sick of me

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 07:43:36 pm »
Flaming Guitars ?

I've been holding this post off due to the mature age of most here.... But Flaming Guitars and bending strings in Alternate tunings is what I grew up on  ;D

Now the odd thing is about Sonic Youth in their Hay Day is that were Noisy with their flaming Guitars.  Once you see them live you well and truly see how out of this world they really are in HONING that Skill.  I've seen them 4 times in Oz and each time is a lesson in what they do :D

In saying the above I've searched long and hard for this thread made by A51 and the Best flaming clip I could find is Sonic Youth 100%

This is for You A51 and YOUR VIDEO That Proves 100% of the whole poop storm John has received all these Years  :)

Shredding Noise Rock :D

100 % - Sonic Youth

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiqM-Ne5b10[/youtube]

Being a lover of all things in minor chords I of course enjoyed it!  ;D

And the rhythm like a lurching Godzilla was nice.

The whole thing really gave me impressions of the glimpes of stuff Syd Barret gave us towards the end that were never completed.

And yeah it IS vindication for John and Bob and Gene and all the crap they have taken. I still can't believe here it is 20 years later and they have actually managed to gradually repair the coverup.

So here's mud in yer eye an right back atcha mate!

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 07:55:23 pm »

That sounds like Jan Hammer on the keyboards there!

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 08:17:19 pm »
I've had numerous electric guitars and amps with marshall half stack and baby marshall stack and stuff. Currently I have a washburn lyons electric with built in effects. I got rid of all my other stuff and have just this now. I plug earphones into it when making noise. This world isn't ready for my style yet.

As a matter of fact, I was kicked out of hell for not playing up to expectation. I am rather difficult back there and simply a world class s h i t disturber here.

Anyway, I totally digg this riff and lead and I was playing something similar but slower. My son, who is like me but ten times the world class s h i t distruber, plays rings around my style which is nothing compared to his. He has his own band and business to boot. The guys a master of darkness at guitar.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m247tUFJb2s[/youtube]

Nice. Reminds me of the energy J priest had on the early tours.

For me Mustane's 'Symphony Of Destruction' really lays the hammer down in this genre.

I stick with a Strat for the most part cause when I play my Tele I start goin all rockabilly.  ;)

My pocket protector geek electronics genius tinkerer friend eventually built me a 3 stage tube (valve) preamp only, that I can overdrive any or all at any stage I want.
Then I can plug into any amp and speakers I want.

It's all in the tubes to gives those strings some warmth and -true- harmonic distortion.

After that you can phaseshift/flange/fuzz/delay all you want in any order.

Anyway that's my take on it. Thanks for sharing I always love hearing what gear others have tried and are using.

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 08:29:57 pm »
... and Ive let the smoke out of it too many times to tell!
LE

:o smoke? Oh no not the smoke!  :(

That brings back several haunting memories.

Since I was trying to explore the same landscapes Mr Jimi had shown us back in those days when technology really didn't exist yet to handle such feedback and harmoncs at full volume, and it was sort of like the wild west creating systems to try and handle it.

Anyways, whilst exploring and learning that full volume harmonic feedback territory, I saw the dreaded smoke many times. 

But hey, so did everybody else in those days! LOL

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 09:22:53 pm »
Flaming Guitars ?

... Flaming Guitars and bending strings in Alternate tunings is what I grew up on  ;D

... Shredding Noise Rock :D

Well then Soma...

I think you'll like this one from Mr. J 

This little live gem features majestic sonic dissonance of epic proportions.  ;D

[youtube]vmHTIWrVL2Q[/youtube]   

Talk about ' a knack for extracting tones with an axe'!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:27:55 pm by A51Watcher »

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 08:22:07 pm »

Another fav of mine is Motorhead and the Foo Fighters teaming up for - Shake Your Blood - at Hyde Park...

[youtube]RLQkcZmIJrU[/youtube]

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]