collapse

Author Topic: yep been a wierd year  (Read 12014 times)

Offline rose

• Gold 22
  • Deuem Hands
Re: yep been a wierd year
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 05:53:41 pm »
I've seen similar mutations, too, Sky, though not this year.   It has been a 'cool' summer for us, with nights in the high sixties, and in the nineties during most days.

I' grow most of my veggies in earthtainers and in light shade. As Turns out  after Fuku, the recommendation for west coasters was to grow  as much as possible under some sort of cover, so I didn't have to change a thing.

But every year is different in a garden. My first seed grown black eyed susan, eaten back about three times over the winter,  finally bloomed madly before acting like a determinate tomato and crapping out. But before one of the determinate tomatoes crapped out, it sent up  a new stalk that is now bearing fruit, and the apple tree is blooming again.

Plants here seem to do okay with high daytime temperatures as long as they get a cool down period at night.  I'm thinking the apple tree and the tomato were fooled into thinking it was spring, and maybe the Echinacea died of  shock when the nights turned warmer?

But, like you, I garden for birds and insects, as well as people. I let my Kale patch go  to the birds, aphids, lady bugs, etc, but it's still struggling along.   Between the collards and the chard, we have plenty of greens and darn near the same nourishment:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/18/kale-compared-to-other-vegetables_n_3762721.html

rose

sky otter

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 06:38:11 pm »
 ;D

Rose

total agreement on each year being different..
glad you are getting something out there.. we have been on a roller coaster
weather wise this year..five days on hot then 3 of rain and cold and then  kinda normal for two and then 4 inches of rain..
i am really surprized any of us are getting anything..and i can't help but think of cayce and his predictions

mutations are sometimes just wierd stuff..lol..like the gooseberry that was trying to grow in the crotch of the chestnut tree.. ;D...i said sorry as i pulled it...lol

i have some beets left but the sunflowers fell over them and my test run of parsnips...i hope i get at least enough of those to try
in the picture you can see them at the end on one patch..that patch is 17 ft across and 30+ ft long
i had garlic and potatoes in it and when i dug the potatoes it started to rain and the weeds
just took over.. it's a mess

the second patch has pumpkins and butternut squash.. last year  the squash rotted before i could pick it...and this year the pumpkins are orange very early...they are sugar pumpkins

it's been raining for hours and getting warmer and tomorrow supposted to be close to 90 and then 65 by thursday
sigh
so i'm hoping like heck to pick something  out there

yeah.. a very wierd year and i think wierder to come

oh i'm waiting on the tomatoe pic to come thur..movin pics takes forever

it was last week..all gone now
but you can see good old hubby's method of prunning..hahahahahah
he says blight..but i think more like nasty temps and too much rain
the lemon basil is happy  though

:(
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 06:45:03 pm by sky otter »

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 08:19:45 am »
We're very soggy here today.  Flash flooding in some places.  We have street flooding here, and Highline Canal is full.  It's usually dry this time of year.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 09:15:56 am »
i should have saved radar from yesterday.we had rain in all the counties around us but not in our county.these storms were created i saw them two nights ago.they were small checkerboards.
ive never been much for rules.
being me has its priviledges.

Dumbledore

sky otter

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 10:17:23 am »

shasta
saw some of it on the news..and was thinking of ya.. glad you seem to be ok

we just had a lightning storm go thur and every side of the house got sheets of rain
not just the weather side..

hey robo...buddy take down your weather shields..tell the rains it's needed there

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 10:43:00 am »
i live next door to monticello coal power plant and it needs water to cool it.what better way to kill a coal burner than to run it out of water.the problem is there are three lakes that it can get water from but we have been hurting now for six or seven years.the second year i lived here we had almost a whole month of rain in february.three days it didnt rain.now its almost continuous drought.had 1/4 inch of rain in last three months and it all fell in like on hour.ants are moving into house looking for water.have been finding clusters of them in animal water dishes.

Dumbledore

Offline Somamech

• Order of the Mystic Star
  • Gold 337
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 11:50:16 am »
 ;D  Otter I always noticed in your pics over the years that you single stemmed your tomatos but I never realised it was the hubby !

Regarding Kale, from what I have grown in the past and from what I've see from Growingyourgreens on youtube it does indeed seem best to grow Dino Kale for all weather scenarios.  Having said that though on one occasion all my brassica family bolted last year before they should.  And in other years I've dino kale just keep pumping out leaves for 18 months till it bolted with the new plants I mentioned before. 

Hey Otter seeing you are the Gardening God here, I thought I might chuck this video in your thread as its very interesting not only in regards to measuring BRIX levels in plants in a general way of determing your soil quality, but also in regards to using BRIX measurments to determine when a storm may be coming in. 

I got the video from reading a post here called "We Are Chlorophyll Managers"

http://permaculturenews.org/2013/08/17/we-are-chlorophyll-managers/

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 12:06:06 pm by Somamech »

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 12:03:32 pm »
I haven't washed away, but I sure got soggy.  Fortunately I didn't have to go out to the west side today.  The I70 and I225 interchange has been a nightmare.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

sky otter

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 05:04:52 pm »

Shasta...stay safe
we have had several of those flash floods..they seem to pick a different neighbor hood each week
two weeks ago we got about 4 inchs in about 2 hours..big mess..still cleaning up
so i hear ya

oh Soma.. you have given me a few good laughs before but today you have out done yourself
first off i am a god/dess of nothing but myself..i am a garden amateur and will probably stay that way

i didn't grow up with a garden and by the time i thought it was a good thing the few who could have really taught me had passed..
.so it was books and trial and error......so if i am a authority on anything it would be useful trial and error methods..hahahahah

a little story about me.. i got into endurance racing cause it was you against you and caring about your equine partner..hands on.. knowing
what signs meant what and how to deal..when all the competitors started to use equine heart monitors and just read numbers...
 i found something else for fun

this device is kinda along those lines..you guys have some male mentality that you need gadgets to figure stuff out
i disagree..
here's the ad for your gadget...sorry i only listened to the vid for about 4 minutes before i went to see what it costs

http://batphone.com.au/products/monitoring-tools/sap-refractometer.html
The measure of Brix is a measure of plant sugar and mineral levels. High Brix healthy plants, Low Brix- plants prone to pest attack and disease. The refractometer is easy to use and an essential monitoring tool.
Sap_Refractomete_4be8ed269ba4e.jpg
Price:
Sales price: $169.40

it cracks me up that someone would pay that and consider they had enough information to grow stuff...any stuff

there as so many variables in growing anything
that a gadget.. any gadget is only a tiny window into evaluating what is going on

you'd be better off  with a straight soil test and a book about what plants like what soil type
oh and then you need to figure in the bug population for the year
and the weather..a biggie
and sometimes the neighbors cat..or the deer herd
stuff that looking at the crushed leaf juice just isn't going to help you with
but have fun which ever you decide

personally I would have given teeth to have a tutor that would have shared their growing trials and errors with me

ok.. other subject.. hubby is the tomatoe nutjob around here my opinion, of course
...I start the seeds and do potting up till they are ready to go into the ground
we would have very intense discussions on methods of pruning....almost any method works but when you have too personalities like ours
we both think ours is the best way..hahahahahha.....anymore if I get just one little plant to let it just be.. I’m happy and he does his distructo pruning
this year didn’t matter the weather roller coaster of very hot to very wet to cold/cool and start over put the stop to most  of everything
and everybody we  know with a garden has had the same difficulty...

Offline burntheships

• Administrator
  • Gold 277
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 05:24:46 pm »
And in other years I've dino kale just keep pumping out leaves for 18 months till it bolted with the new plants I mentioned before. 

Soma,

Yep got some this year, it is doing well. One thing...
I wont be keeping it in my bathroom. Poor John
got the worst of it for that.  ;D
"This is the Documentary Channel"
- Zorgon

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 06:37:45 pm »
Nine inches of rain in Aurora so far.  Messy, but not three feet of heavy wet snow.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 06:51:11 pm »
Wednesday marked the 20th consecutive day in which at least a trace of rain had been recorded somewhere in the Las Vegas Valley or its immediate surrounding area.

Its been humid and wet for weeks... big down pour again yesterday the streets were rivers. Forcast showing cloudy and chance of rain till NEXT Thursday with temps climbing back to 100F next week. That SUCKS with the humidity.

I moved to the desert to get away from the rainy wet damp humid weather.   :'(

Sure we needed some rain but dang it 20 days straight is NUTS

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:52:51 pm by zorgon »

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 07:48:20 pm »
sky.i think the blight is the wet ground.i had the same problem early in the season when i got to much rain.it also stunted my okra.once things dried out the blight went away.i just let my tomatoes run on the ground.but it makes it hard to weed also.but the ground cover holds in moisture and keeps ground cool.i think you just had a good rain year.and good temps.
here its just been normal texas hell.but im hard headed and continue to try.definition of a fool i guess.

Dumbledore

sky otter

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 08:17:26 pm »

hey Z..we're all being hit with this weather..

this morning it was hot and humid..cloudy and  humid most of the day till it rained..
lightning storm actually.. nasty 40-60 winds for about 30 minutes..then cool for a bit
then the heat built again and more rain and now it's damp and cold...sigh
lots of luck finding someplace calm

and nothing growing well anywhere

robo yeah i know about blight ..that's how  his pruning method got started..taking off the leaves touching the wet ground..

ya know you might be a good candidate for container gardening

like i said.. i keep thinking of cayce's predictions on the weather not allowing us to grow food
 ::)

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 08:40:29 pm »
Some kid actually caught a fish in the street today.  Not sure where, but I'm guessing it escaped from someone's backyard pond.  Utah Park in Aurora was flooded.  I guess now it has an outdoor pool to go with the indoor pool.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: Music You Love by RUSSO
[Today at 02:12:02 am]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter